THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide to Amanda's Music  (Read 102648 times)

ahauntingnearu

Re: Guide to Amanda's Music
« Reply #360 on: May 20, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »

i love this thread, thanks :)

what is the breakfast summet, though?

i wish there was a proper studio version of don't call me fucking gaiman--it's quite comical ^_^
maybe it'll be a b-side on the new record or something :P

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #361 on: May 20, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »

The Breakfast Summit is the musical narration of a hypothetical meeting (over breakfast)
of.... lemme think, Amanda, Tori Amos, Courtney Love, Avril Lavigne, Bjork... Liz Phair...
anyone else?  Pink ...and they discuss the state and status of women in the recording industry.

It's pretty clever.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #362 on: May 20, 2012, 10:23:21 PM »

ah, me gusta! is there a HQ version somewhere?

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #363 on: May 21, 2012, 12:26:24 AM »

The originally wasn't very HQ, very much like "start recording and just play..." Amanda stops playing, and Ben Folds' is heard calling her something like "you fucking idiot keep playing!" all in good fun. The last time I looked for this song, I found it through google.. something like hype machine. If I am remembering correctly - and I may not be - I think amanda released this demo through an old blog post.

The Breakfast Summit is the musical narration of a hypothetical meeting (over breakfast)
of.... lemme think, Amanda, Tori Amos, Courtney Love, Avril Lavigne, Bjork... Liz Phair...
anyone else?  Pink ...and they discuss the state and status of women in the recording industry.

It's pretty clever.

You forgot Pink!

"Take the money and run!"
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #364 on: May 22, 2012, 02:37:20 AM »

The originally wasn't very HQ, very much like "start recording and just play..." Amanda stops playing, and Ben Folds' is heard calling her something like "you fucking idiot keep playing!" all in good fun. The last time I looked for this song, I found it through google.. something like hype machine. If I am remembering correctly - and I may not be - I think amanda released this demo through an old blog post.

It's pretty clever.

You forgot Pink!

"Take the money and run!"
Just make sure you have fun!
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #365 on: May 22, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »

i could have sworn it was brian- i thought the song was from 2003 before the dresden dolls signed to roadrunner?
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #366 on: May 22, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »

i could have sworn it was brian- i thought the song was from 2003 before the dresden dolls signed to roadrunner?

That would make a lot of sense context wise but I'm pretty sure it's Ben

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #367 on: May 22, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »

That would make a lot of sense context wise but I'm pretty sure it's Ben

well yeah, but i thought the recording itself was from 2003 or so as well. i haven't listened in awhile though, maybe i'm wrong.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #368 on: June 02, 2012, 02:54:37 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgpPCNSK-Wc

I am pretty sure that it is Ben, it was released in Sept 2008 on Becca Darling's website The Beecharmer (the old direct link is now inactive and her new site doesnt have the old post up - but if you're so inclined you can shoot her an email through the site's contact address and ask her about it. http://thebeecharmer.wordpress.com

@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #369 on: June 02, 2012, 02:19:59 PM »

if no one else messages becca i might later, but now that i've done a little digging my mind is refreshed a bit as to what might have made me think what i thought

http://dresdendollsdiary.blogspot.com/2004/05/052304.html

at risk of sounding crazy, i think my thought process at the time of whenever this idea was cemented into my brain was something like this:

*amanda got a new keyboard
*amanda wanted to try it out
*she decided to demo a new song on it
*that was the breakfast summit
*i think there was something about amanda having a yamaha keyboard which sounded nicer than her kurzweil but she kept it at home for demoing or something, like there was some reason why she didn't tour with it
*the song sounded like a keyboard to me, but it definitely wasnt her kurzweil
*it doesn't sound like the wkap demos
*the person at the end's voice sounded, to me, like brian's so much i never questioned it (but i'm really not familiar with ben's voice)

so yeah. i'm not saying any of this to continue a source-less argument or anything, just putting my thoughts down in case we don't get an answer. a lot of these ideas, in my memory, felt like things i thought were confirmed, but apparently not. hm. now i really can't wait to find out!
amanda, 2005-04-15

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #370 on: June 02, 2012, 09:49:57 PM »

if no one else messages becca i might later, but now that i've done a little digging my mind is refreshed a bit as to what might have made me think what i thought

http://dresdendollsdiary.blogspot.com/2004/05/052304.html

at risk of sounding crazy, i think my thought process at the time of whenever this idea was cemented into my brain was something like this:

*amanda got a new keyboard
*amanda wanted to try it out
*she decided to demo a new song on it
*that was the breakfast summit
*i think there was something about amanda having a yamaha keyboard which sounded nicer than her kurzweil but she kept it at home for demoing or something, like there was some reason why she didn't tour with it
*the song sounded like a keyboard to me, but it definitely wasnt her kurzweil
*it doesn't sound like the wkap demos
*the person at the end's voice sounded, to me, like brian's so much i never questioned it (but i'm really not familiar with ben's voice)

so yeah. i'm not saying any of this to continue a source-less argument or anything, just putting my thoughts down in case we don't get an answer. a lot of these ideas, in my memory, felt like things i thought were confirmed, but apparently not. hm. now i really can't wait to find out!

ahh. okay. we'll see.
but i KNEW that i read a blog about it, couldn't find it, but knew i wasn't making it up. thank you for linking it. I think amanda's piano is a Yamaha. at the MIT webcast she said something about using Yamahas because they don't break (in regards to the MIT piano breaking while she played)
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #371 on: August 25, 2012, 02:03:10 AM »

i'm on "team brian" too. i know i've read this somewhere and the idea of the recording being pre-Roadrunner is making sense. unless i read it in the forum and someone wrote by mistake that brian is in it at the end and i just took their word for granted

Félix Marqués

• ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
« Reply #372 on: September 17, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »

I don't know but this song is hilarious and I wish we had a An Evening With...-quality recording.

strangemodegirl

• Miss.Olive's Garden
« Reply #373 on: October 08, 2012, 11:08:41 PM »

I am still pretty new to this forum, I am more of a lurker than a poster and I am not sure if I have the right thread. But I figure I will give it a shot and ask here and maybe someone can point me in the right direction, or laugh at me for a bit.

Just how impossible is it to find a decently priced copy of the split 7" she did with Murder By Death?
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #374 on: October 09, 2012, 02:17:30 AM »

I am still pretty new to this forum, I am more of a lurker than a poster and I am not sure if I have the right thread. But I figure I will give it a shot and ask here and maybe someone can point me in the right direction, or laugh at me for a bit.

Just how impossible is it to find a decently priced copy of the split 7" she did with Murder By Death?
well, they have removed it from their merch store, so i guess it's sold out, but a couple of months ago i saw a copy on ebay for like $10. keep checking ebay and maybe another will pop up.

Also i remember last year Sylvia, who does some fantastic AFP related artwork, was auctioning some stuff, and the vinyl was one of them, but i don't know if she got around to sell it in the end. check out these posts and maybe sent her an email:
http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?topic=16557.msg386455#msg386455
http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?topic=16557.msg386871#msg386871
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26  All   Go Up