THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Communication Between Musicians and Their Fans  (Read 2807 times)

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
Communication Between Musicians and Their Fans
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:07:30 AM »

The communication between AFP and us aside, i see most of the musicians are trying to make things better between themselves and their fans.

Do you think it does matter a lot?

For example if a highly talented musician ignores their fans and treats contemptously to them, do people love and listen to that musician anyway?

As far as i can see, these days such kinda communication became more important. Maybe because the social media and networks made it easier, many musicians are creating accounts on such kind of networks both for marketing and communication. And the ones who have no interest in online marketing/communication, lose their popularities. For example, i like Pj Harvey a lot. But she looks so distant on the tv shows and concerts. When she came to my country, i watched her performance on the tv and saw she didn't even smile for once. Also she even laid down the law to a couple of journalists and didn't make a good interview. She does not do anything online or on tv, it's as if she's a fictional character. Of course it does not make her less talent just because she doesn't reveal, but when i see a musician is as cold as a frozen fish everytime, i lose my interest. On the other hand, though HoneyHoney is a brand new band who doesn't have many albums or fans, i like them a lot because they are so respectful and related to their fans. Also i used to like Garbage a lot but they always looked like a little distant, but since 3 years ago Shirley Manson writes a lot about her band, makes comments to what her fans asked or said, also a few days ago Steve Marker opened an official Garbage page, so i feel like i love them better now.

What are your comments about it?

Ps: I wanted to put the communication between AFP and us aside, because it's been 3-4 years since i first discovered her. And even then she used to write blogs, make webcasts, had an active account on myspace and all...
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
Re: Communication Between Musicians and Their Fans
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:39:07 AM »

there are all kinds of people in the world,
so there are all kinds of fans,
which allows all styles of fan/musician communication/mis-communication

though i think more fans prefer decent and two-way communication
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »

After my time with AFP & friends, I find it hard to imagine being involved as a fan with someone that doesn't interact. I might like their music or writing but that's not the same as being a fan. However, we must remember that Amanda is a capital EX extrovert and there are certainly artists who simply put out their work and let that speak. The downside for them will be in the social media space, as record companies grind to a halt and they must put themselves out there. And it needs to be in their own voice, not a communications person. Being a fan is a kind of relationship and if it's one-sided, it will soon die off. On the other hand, it doesn't scale. Lady Gaga can't interact personally with her Little Monsters but I have seen video blogs to fans that seem very personal. That kind of expression can go a long way.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »

Lady Gaga fan interaction would be a lot like Amanda's,
if she hadn't gotten mega-numbers of fans

the people at MIT who meet her,
were really impressed by how warm and genuine she was
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:48:55 AM »

not important.

#@!

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:31:13 AM »

Lady Gaga fan interaction would be a lot like Amanda's,
if she hadn't gotten mega-numbers of fans

the people at MIT who meet her,
were really impressed by how warm and genuine she was

I completely agree with you.
Also though she has millions of fans, and is unable to make a two-way communication; the thing is she reveals that she's aware of her fans and she cares about them.

Another example, Tori Amos. I used to think she's legendary, especially until American Doll Posse.

But recently she has been doing the things she used to criticize other musicians/celebrities for doing. Plastic surgeries, weird and pricey photoshoots, even the way she looks at people has changed to "i created those mountains". As far as i know she doesn't even write blogs. She used to make very sophisticated interviews before such kind of networks got popular, these days i can't see a good interview.

And i guess most of her fans lost their interests and got bored.

I think it is not some kinda : release an album and let it speak instead of you - as long as they also speak but not to their fans just to the media and other celebrities.

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

Dejah Thoris

• Don't know what I want but I know how to get it
  • evolution is coming
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »

I don't think a musician owes their fans anything but a good performance.  We are living in the "too much information" age, and I fear that fans will expect, if they don't all ready, all musicians to adhere to the AFP model.  Frankly, I like them to exude a bit (or a lot) of mystery about their personal lives, how they came to write a certain song, etc.  While I do enjoy a bit of stage banter, it's not required and I don't hold it against the performer to simply play the set.  I love P J Harvey, along with the mystery and decided lack of banter.  I prefer that, actually, to the current (it appears) requirement to tweet and facebook their way through....well, everything. 

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »

i think too much communication, or too open a door with fans is detrimental to the musician, frankly.  even a door that is halfway open inspires fans to push it the rest of the way open, or complain about the stuff they can't see.

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:29:10 AM »

I really appreciate how close Amanda is to her fans at a show. It's personal and intimiate
However I don't rigorously follow her tweets or Videostreams (unless it is a performance)
I find that sort of thing obsessive.

I don't want to be her best pal because I know she doesn't want me to be hers.
The relationship is strictly professional, She is an amazing woman and good craic after the show but beyond brigading and enjoying her music/performances I honestly don't want to be part of her life...

(unless she wakes up one day and says,
 :D hey Neil,
 :coolsmiley: Yes Pookums?
 :D Remember that Irish guy who always street performs before my UK shows...
  ^-^ Should we invite him round for dinner at the weekend?)

not going to happen.

This would change the Artist/Fan relationship.
Any fan that considers themselves close to Amanda really needs to stop and consider what true friendship is. Fans are a source of income to Artists at the end of the day.

SpookyTwigg

• Slave to the
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 05:00:48 PM »

As long as the music is good then I honestly don't mind how much information I'm getting from artists.

But I definitely thing that it can make the difference to how I would react to things like seeing them live or recommending to friends. The sense of there being some sneaky shared information, or being part of a group rather than a faceless hoard can effect how much you involve yourself or attempt to involve others.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 09:31:20 PM »

i can like and love songs without hearing from the artist him or herself.

but in order for me to make the jump to obsession/superfandom i need to have at least the illusion that the artist cares about and understands me, therefore allowing/causing me to form a deeper connection with the music.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

NastyEgo

• my worst enemy
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 03:58:37 AM »

Another example, Tori Amos. I used to think she's legendary, especially until American Doll Posse.

But recently she has been doing the things she used to criticize other musicians/celebrities for doing. Plastic surgeries, weird and pricey photoshoots, even the way she looks at people has changed to "i created those mountains". As far as i know she doesn't even write blogs. She used to make very sophisticated interviews before such kind of networks got popular, these days i can't see a good interview.
Maybe the journalists are not as good as N years ago? Most of the interviews I've read recently seem rather daft. The same kind of questions and answers. And I don't mean just Tori.
lookning in shades of green through shades of blue

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »

Maybe the journalists are not as good as N years ago? Most of the interviews I've read recently seem rather daft. The same kind of questions and answers. And I don't mean just Tori.

Yes that quite possibly is another reason.

Pages: [1]   Go Up