THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: who's modding the mods?  (Read 7149 times)

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
who's modding the mods?
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »

actually i'm trying to do no such thing, i just got the thread title from 'the watchmen' and thought it was fun.  i don't start a lot of threads, so.

i just thought it would be nice to have a place to talk about disagreements or 'a better idea' with past or future decisions, since there was some earlier frustration inherent in expressing frustration with the recent thread closure.  and, also a good place to alert a mod to a situation one thinks they should be aware of, since nobody can be expected to be on top of every exchange all the time.

it would also be extremely cool if we could be grownups, and not get personal about this delicate spiritual matter.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
Re: who's modding the mods?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:48:06 PM »

well I think the first bit of advice I could give to everybody is "Read the forum rules". That would be every single poster, moderator, administrator and board mascot. If everybody is familiar with the rules, there shouldn't be any need for a moderator to lock/unlock threads because everybody is on the same page. This would include "thread necromancy" (posting in an ancient thread that has not been used in quite some time. BTW, the board will warn you if you're posting in a thread that has not been used in 120 days), "poster dog-piling" (as evidenced in a recent thread), and conflict resolution (if an adult discussion has grown out of a flame war).

The other general rules I would advise all posters of are:
1. We are not all the same person.
2. It is okay to discuss differences of opinion.
3. It is okay to have a different opinion.
4. Be prepared to defend your opinion.
5. Prepare to agree to disagree and be content in that.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:51:34 PM »

excellent points.

saying 'i disagree with you so much i'm having trouble breathing right now,' always sounds a lot friendlier than 'youre a fucking idiot.'

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »

why do you hate me?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »

i forgot to clarify i was joking as well.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:11:04 PM »

nah, it's cool.  we're providing an example of pootin' around.  or something.

besides, i thing the tone in here should be as light as possible. 

if you do resurrect an old thread, what is the harm?  is it spamming, or the like that is the problem?  i've probably commented in a few threads i've found when i've gone digging, on occasion, or found something posted before i was new on a forum. 

Dejah Thoris

• Don't know what I want but I know how to get it
  • evolution is coming
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »

Can I make a citizen's arrest here?  You know, kind of like being a mod when there there isn't one around and a serious violation of the rules takes place, such as right here in this thread.

If Ag would have simply followed the green rule, all of this uneccesary flaming could have been avoided.  The sbox will thank you.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 02:24:20 PM »

okay, also, what is the green rule?  these are both very good reasons i am not a mod.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »

so basically, all the sarcasam i have liberally sprayed all over the board is completely taken literally.  that's awesome, and not embarrassing at all.

Dejah Thoris

• evolution is coming
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 02:31:31 PM »

okay, also, what is the green rule?  these are both very good reasons i am not a mod.

You post in green when you are joking.  I mean, clearly, my entire post was a joke, but the box suffered from a severe case of literalness a few years ago, so the (informal) green rule was adopted.  Someone posted that Jason Webley punched him at a show (clearly a joke) but many took him seriously and even Amanda got in on it.  Funny stuff.

Dejah Thoris

• evolution is coming
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 02:34:10 PM »

so basically, all the sarcasam i have liberally sprayed all over the board is completely taken literally. 

Yup. 

Cool, innit?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »

i dig.  ive started reading on a couple of boards and have seen colored letters mean things before also, so i didn't know if it was a board thing, or a THIS-board thing.

Shock G

• Do the Humpty Hump!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 09:25:15 AM »

There should be less moderating...in that if a thread goes off topic let it be.  This form of free expression leads to the best and most organic type of conversations just like in real life where if you are talking about one subject at first a few minutes down the road it could be off in some completely different field where if you didn't have the 4 or 5 steps in the middle it would make no sense when looking at the original topic.
I like my beats funky, I'm spunky, I like my oatmeal lumpy.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 09:44:23 AM »

i agree....one of the things i have always liked about the shadowbox is how threads can morph off topic, but how the posters themselves can be trusted to bring them around full circle to back on topic, most times.  it's very awesome to allow a conversation to drift freeform for a few posts...or even a few pages.  i've been on very rigid forums where any deviation or even joking for a single post, off topic was screamed at, and ive been on laconic forums where nothing stayed on topic after the first three posts, and both extremes were unpleasant.  i like how we have had a path somewhere kind of down the middle of all that.

honestly, for the most part the box is self-policing.  it's just those times when a voice of reason is called for that one needs a voice of reason.

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »

So yeah me and my friend were shopping for gecko shaped hood ornaments and all we could find were jaguar shaped hood ornaments. Has that ever happened to any of you guys? Oh and then I punched a mime in the face to see if he would mime the black eye and tears rolling down his face. Is that frowned on here?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up