THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10-year-old Vogue model  (Read 11263 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
Re: 10-year-old Vogue model
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:21:07 PM »

She's ten years old and she's already objectifying herself. Terrific.
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 01:28:59 AM »

Even the 20 years olds can not cope with getting famous. I don't know what they did to make her family let their daughter be a model at this age. But seriously it's sick.

And little girls look like midgets when they apply thick make ups to their faces.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 01:34:35 AM »

well actually model agencies routinely scout pre-teens for their potential...and then basically groom them to become top models.....this one just got the vouge shoot a tad earlier than normal...other wise she would have been in a gap kids ad or a benetton ad.....sad but true.....(also french and they are a tad more modelcentric)
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 01:47:46 AM »

well actually model agencies routinely scout pre-teens for their potential...and then basically groom them to become top models.....this one just got the vouge shoot a tad earlier than normal...other wise she would have been in a gap kids ad or a benetton ad.....sad but true.....(also french and they are a tad more modelcentric)

Yes it's something different than modelling for gap kids or benetton kids. She's too young to be the face of the vogue.

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »

in the US probably...but frnce has a somewhat different attitude

@raliel

CottonCandy

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 03:53:49 AM »

I wouldn't think there's much wrong about child models as a concept... I mean, there is a market for branded kids wear and someone has to advertise them. But they should let be children and wear children's clothes. Showing "cleavage" and wearing heels and make-up like an adult doesn't seem comfortable with me.

Tiervexx

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »

Some pedophile at Vogue is very happy to see that picture appear in their magazine!

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »

like cottoncandy said, i think that's more of the main issue people are having...that yes there are children models but they're wearing actual kids clothes and arent doing "model" faces, usually they're laughing and playing like children do...where as this little girl is doing what an older model does and wearing the same clothes just a lot (well, maybe not) smaller

i'm not sure how i personally feel about it though.

la fée verte

• anti-heroine
  • Ich bin zu wahr um schön zu sein.
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 03:56:17 PM »

She's ten years old and she's already objectifying herself. Terrific.

I don't think you can blame a ten year old girl for this. But I'm disgusted with the parents. They shouldn't let their child get so objectified at an age when she's definitely not old enough to be conscious about the way these pictures are seen by the rest of the world. My problem with this is not the modeling-thing itself, it's the way of intentionally putting sexual signals where they don't belong - to a child that hasn't even reached puberty by now.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 03:57:25 PM »

^indeed.

I'm afraid she'll have to stay under the spotlights and do this serious&sexy model face for the rest of her life. She's just a ten year old, i'm sure she'd rather playing with her friends at garden instead of doing this photo shoot.
I don't blame Vogue as much as i blame the parents of this little girl.

Mockery

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks that this little girl is being forced to grow up to fast?

I have 47 Indja Points

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks that this little girl is being forced to grow up to fast?

That was what i tried to say on the above post. It's not fair, she should have been enjoying the last years of her childhood.

Mockery

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »

That was what i tried to say on the above post. It's not fair, she should have been enjoying the last years of her childhood.

Okay, I just wanted to know if anyone agreed with me.

I have 47 Indja Points

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »

Yes, honey you are being agreed with ;)

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 02:39:25 AM »

basically you need to know how fucked up and horrible the entire modelling and fashion industry actually is....really this is nothing  for them, just a tool for creating interest....and ultimatelygetting even more girls to need their products so that they can comply to their artifial ideas of beauty

@raliel

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 07:04:41 AM »

i disagree a little, in that i doubt she is being forced at all.  i'm pretty sure she is participating.

la fée verte

• anti-heroine
  • Ich bin zu wahr um schön zu sein.
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 07:10:11 AM »

i disagree a little, in that i doubt she is being forced at all.  i'm pretty sure she is participating.
But can you let a ten year old girl decide such things? Wouldn't it be her parents responsibility to take care so she can grow up in a good way?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 07:30:36 AM »

i disagree a little, in that i doubt she is being forced at all.  i'm pretty sure she is participating.
But can you let a ten year old girl decide such things? Wouldn't it be her parents responsibility to take care so she can grow up in a good way?

to me, it would be their responsibility to discourage her from wanting to do this sort of thing.  but, i'm willing to bet she isn't being forced, no.

i'm not saying she isn't probably 'growing up too fast.'  i just don't think it is about growing up, so much as exploitation.  in other words i only disagree with mockery's wording more than the idea itself.

murmur

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »

She will probably be a beautiful model when she gets older. Did anyone think of maybe if this little girl wanted to do this?

Maybe I'm coming from a different standpoint because I was in pageants as a kid.  I wanted to be a model when I was younger. So my family encouraged me to go for my "dream" which when I became a teen went out the window.

So what I guess im saying is does anyone know the back story of how she got into modeling?

Tiervexx

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »

I'm quite sure that she isn't being forced into this.  She's probably loving all the attention and dressing up and modeling places have standards for treating children, basically they can't treat them like shit.  She'll be enjoying herself.  For now at least.  The problem that I have with this photo is that she's wearing adult clothing - there's nothing wrong with being a child model, but in the appropriate setting and clothing.  Adult make up and stilettos is too much for a child.  Plus the problems will come later, when she gets a little older and the agencies stop treating her like a little girl and start treating her like they do their adult models - and for the most part that is Not Well. 

For now, however, aside from some kind of parental pressure she MIGHT be receiving, she's probably being treated very well and having a fun time.

I mostly agree with you.

My biggest problem is that I fear that pictures of a 10 year old girl dressed like an adult in sensual poses will be a magnet for pedophiles.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 12:15:04 PM »

I didn't mean to say she was forced or something.

Of course she must be having fun, it's quite a strange place for a child.

But if she keeps on modelling, i bet she'll regret for wasting her childhood by working. Now she's too young to see.

There's nothing wrong with working. But if you make a 10 year old start modelling, she'll love making easy money and never want to 'waste' her time in studying her lessons or playing child games again. It's something she'll understand later, i'm pretty sure she'll question herself.

I'm not againist children actors or models, but for god's sake is it fair to treat them like adults? They taste responsibilities of the adult world too early.  

Most people in 20s can not cope with fame, isn't it too much for a kid?

Mockery

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 11:33:34 PM »

Believe it or not, my sister Erika mentioned how she doesn't like how Selena Gomnez is trying to be turned into a sex symbol. Why must little girls grow up so damn fast Mr. Media? Why can't they have a few more years where they get to be sweet and darling and not have to worry about all the stupid crap we have too? Let them hold onto those last few years!

I have 47 Indja Points

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 11:51:36 PM »

Believe it or not, my sister Erika mentioned how she doesn't like how Selena Gomnez is trying to be turned into a sex symbol. Why must little girls grow up so damn fast Mr. Media? Why can't they have a few more years where they get to be sweet and darling and not have to worry about all the stupid crap we have too? Let them hold onto those last few years!

at least we don't marry them off when they're twelve anymore.

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 01:40:15 AM »

On one hand I think that this is wrong. A 10 year old in Vogue, modelling adult clothing.
although she is looks her age more than half the vogue models

But on the other hand, it's nothing completely new.
And I don't believe that she was forced to do this, I mean sure there may have been some convincing in part of her parents, but nothing in the way of forcing her to do this. But I could be completely wrong, I'm just speaking from an outside view.

@Mockery, it's not just Selena Gomez, a lot of Disney/youth stars are being turned into sex symbols because they're being forced to grow up too fast. If they had grown up outside of the spotlight, then there wouldn't be a problem. The problem lies in their being in the spotlight and young girls seeing how the media portray them and trying to act like them. However, there are exceptions, Demi Lovato and Hillary Duff for example, both were/are Disney stars, yet neither are "sex symbols"
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 07:06:32 AM »

there is also tatum o'neill, drew barrymore, and michael jackson, if anyone needs a warning role model.

Mockery

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 07:31:24 AM »

@Mockery, it's not just Selena Gomez, a lot of Disney/youth stars are being turned into sex symbols because they're being forced to grow up too fast. If they had grown up outside of the spotlight, then there wouldn't be a problem. The problem lies in their being in the spotlight and young girls seeing how the media portray them and trying to act like them. However, there are exceptions, Demi Lovato and Hillary Duff for example, both were/are Disney stars, yet neither are "sex symbols"
It still doesn't make a lot of sense. Most of the followers are young girls around eight. Why sexualize them?

I have 47 Indja Points

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 07:33:16 AM »

and the thoiusands of pageant girls that are paraded around in lipstick  (did not a famous one get killed?)

@raliel

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 07:46:16 AM »

joan-binet ramsey.  you couldn't get away from the name for like a year, and they never ran out of new footage of the child dressed like a china doll turned hooker.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 07:51:30 AM »

yep but that sort of pageant is very much alive and well and judged by very creepy looking old people

@raliel

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »

yeah, i'd hoped a child's semen-covered death in a basement would have put a stop to it, but those moms are pretty intense, and completely free of shame.  and almost universally, when you interview them, they swear ten ways to sunday that it is their child who is the one who is the trophy-obsessed self-motivator.  the ramsey name always comes up in conjunction with these sorts of pageants in the news, too, which you would think would be a discouragement.

Mockery

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 01:49:47 PM »

and the thoiusands of pageant girls that are paraded around in lipstick  (did not a famous one get killed?)

Fuck those mothers who subject their girls to that man. I mean it's okay if the girls want to do it but it always seem like it's the mom who pushes their daughters to fame.

I have 47 Indja Points

dollz4eva

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 06:46:49 PM »

Fuck those mothers who subject their girls to that man. I mean it's okay if the girls want to do it but it always seem like it's the mom who pushes their daughters to fame.

But fame is awesome!!

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »

But fame is awesome!!
One of the best movies ever made. The singing, the dancing, the gritty storylines. What more could you want?

Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

dollz4eva

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 07:23:44 PM »

But fame is awesome!!
One of the best movies ever made. The singing, the dancing, the gritty storylines. What more could you want?

exactly!! what is wrong with people?

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 07:27:36 PM »

and the thoiusands of pageant girls that are paraded around in lipstick  (did not a famous one get killed?)

But fame is awesome!!

Obviously they haven't been raised right.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

dollz4eva

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »

and the thoiusands of pageant girls that are paraded around in lipstick  (did not a famous one get killed?)

But fame is awesome!!

Obviously they haven't been raised right.

I BLAME THE PARENTS!!!

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 09:23:43 PM »

yes, bless her heart.  how misunderstood.  how could anyone think there could be anything sexual about this?

Mockery

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »

yes, bless her heart.  how misunderstood.  how could anyone think there could be anything sexual about this?

Someone needs to be in jail because of this.

I have 47 Indja Points

Tshabalala

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 05:11:11 AM »

I think the negative reactions are actually part of the cycle of shaming and demonization of the human form. Maybe she's "growing up too fast" or maybe she's playing with her friends as we speak. Maybe her mother has started to instill a different perspective and philosophy upon her, and maybe she will be better adjusted than the rest of us for it. We are reading into what we see and extrapolating.

I don't see this as analogous to pageantry either.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 08:28:23 AM »

@raliel

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »

try google image seach on the company name...this is not the worst

@raliel

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 10:52:58 AM »

all those girls' parents should be kicked in the teeth.

#@!

Mockery

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 06:03:15 PM »

Because all they think about is how sex sells.

I have 47 Indja Points

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 06:38:30 PM »

they're whoring out their daughters.

#@!

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »

yeah.  once again the world needs to be reminded that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Mockery

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 05:06:48 PM »

yeah.  once again the world needs to be reminded that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

It also shows that some people make crappy parents.

I have 47 Indja Points

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »

Before addressing the opinion side of this, and its subjectivity, I think it is important to address the avalanche of invalid generalizations and misstatements of fact I have read here.

1] We have no reason to believe she is not playing tea time or whatever, usually, like any other little girl. In fact, she probably does.

2] We have no reason to believe she is being forced to grow up any faster than any other kid based on this one activity.

3] No random guy would be arrested for having any of these images on his computer.

4] Anecdotes, as common as they are, do not support any statement that "most" twenty year olds cannot handle fame. We simply see the cases brought to us as the norm because kids adjusting normally is not a news story tabloid editors care to print.

Now, onto opinion. Yeah, the pictures strike me as a little outside my reasonable comfort zone, but I AM the product of a prudish and sexually hung up society that sees much of the human body as intrinsically sexual. I don't believe we (Americans and like-minded cultures) experience less sexual abuse, rape, or any socio-sexual dysfunction than less hung up cultures. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out our approach could be statistically demonstrated as more harmful by those measures.

It's not just that we react differently to sexualization; we actually see it where others don't. I'm not saying there is nothing suggestive to see here, but I'm not sure our perception of harm is rational. As for the pedophile thing... I'm pretty sure those folks are the way they are, and a magazine spread like this isn't going to affect that in any way, shape or form. If you mean this in terms to making this particular girl a target, I suspect she has more watchful, concerned eyes on here than a lot of kids, and I'm sure that the attentions of pedophiles are drawn by what you and I would consider sexually innocuous. If a dude digs little girls, he probably digs little girl clothes. Just a hunch.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »

oh you did have to be all sensible about it......i was rather enjoying the moral outrage

@raliel

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »

There might even be room for rational discussion, just not in the terms presented. The one argument that resonates the most has to do with this particular definition of feminine imagery for any age, although I would argue that there is a time and place for everything. It does suck that so many girls grow up to be women who believe it is only appropriate or attractive to present oneself with "a face on."
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 08:20:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up