THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 10-year-old Vogue model  (Read 11267 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
Re: 10-year-old Vogue model
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 06:38:30 PM »

they're whoring out their daughters.

#@!

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »

yeah.  once again the world needs to be reminded that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 05:06:48 PM »

yeah.  once again the world needs to be reminded that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

It also shows that some people make crappy parents.
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »

Before addressing the opinion side of this, and its subjectivity, I think it is important to address the avalanche of invalid generalizations and misstatements of fact I have read here.

1] We have no reason to believe she is not playing tea time or whatever, usually, like any other little girl. In fact, she probably does.

2] We have no reason to believe she is being forced to grow up any faster than any other kid based on this one activity.

3] No random guy would be arrested for having any of these images on his computer.

4] Anecdotes, as common as they are, do not support any statement that "most" twenty year olds cannot handle fame. We simply see the cases brought to us as the norm because kids adjusting normally is not a news story tabloid editors care to print.

Now, onto opinion. Yeah, the pictures strike me as a little outside my reasonable comfort zone, but I AM the product of a prudish and sexually hung up society that sees much of the human body as intrinsically sexual. I don't believe we (Americans and like-minded cultures) experience less sexual abuse, rape, or any socio-sexual dysfunction than less hung up cultures. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out our approach could be statistically demonstrated as more harmful by those measures.

It's not just that we react differently to sexualization; we actually see it where others don't. I'm not saying there is nothing suggestive to see here, but I'm not sure our perception of harm is rational. As for the pedophile thing... I'm pretty sure those folks are the way they are, and a magazine spread like this isn't going to affect that in any way, shape or form. If you mean this in terms to making this particular girl a target, I suspect she has more watchful, concerned eyes on here than a lot of kids, and I'm sure that the attentions of pedophiles are drawn by what you and I would consider sexually innocuous. If a dude digs little girls, he probably digs little girl clothes. Just a hunch.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »

oh you did have to be all sensible about it......i was rather enjoying the moral outrage
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »

There might even be room for rational discussion, just not in the terms presented. The one argument that resonates the most has to do with this particular definition of feminine imagery for any age, although I would argue that there is a time and place for everything. It does suck that so many girls grow up to be women who believe it is only appropriate or attractive to present oneself with "a face on."
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 08:20:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up