THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: makeup on guys...and gals  (Read 6286 times)

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
Re: makeup on guys...and gals
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »

I changed the name of the thread so I could post this, as I didn't feel it warranted starting a whole new thread:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ex33wtqnNz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ex33wtqnNz8</a>
I have burn scarring, and wear foundation every day for the same reason. Like Robin and Johnny, my make up isn't always applied to be terribly natural looking, but I think make up is pretty in a dramatic effect way, and prefer people staring at me on my own terms rather than for something I can't help. People say that appearance doesn't matter, but even the more cynical members here would be surprised at how much the general public changed in the way they treated me basically overnight. I'm vain, so what.

You didn't give away much about what you thought of the video. What did you think of the video?
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 11:44:57 AM »

I think she did a really brave thing. I can't help but wonder, though, if her using makeup (and switching products every month) isn't exacerbating her acne problem.

I have two sisters (one older, one younger) who really know how to use makeup, and neither of them has used that much like ever, and my older sis had a bit of an acne problem in her teens. Turned out to be dietary in her case - have you ever canned tomatoes? As you're cooking them down, a foam forms on top. That foam has the compound my sis's skin was reacting to, and she used to eat raw tomatoes like they were potato chips. She had to stop eating the raw ones, although canned, ketchup, etc. are still ok...her skin cleared up quick.

Someday, you should post a non-makeup pic here. Own the shit and tell the world to fuck off.  :brave:

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »

Someday, you should post a non-makeup pic here. Own the shit and tell the world to fuck off.  :brave:
;D I've posted non-make-up pics around the internet before, my skin only looks really bad in direct sunlight. I occasionally don't wear make-up if I'm running late or only going to be around friends, etc, but it kind of annoys me when I do, because people get all sympathetic and "o what happened to your face?" and it's like "IT WAS NINE YEARS AGO FUCK OFF".
As mentioned in my last post, I would probably wear make up even if I wasn't all burnt because the made up look suits my hair and clothes better. I am vain. It is terrible.
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 04:52:03 AM »

Someday, you should post a non-makeup pic here. Own the shit and tell the world to fuck off.  :brave:
;D I've posted non-make-up pics around the internet before, my skin only looks really bad in direct sunlight. I occasionally don't wear make-up if I'm running late or only going to be around friends, etc, but it kind of annoys me when I do, because people get all sympathetic and "o what happened to your face?" and it's like "IT WAS NINE YEARS AGO FUCK OFF".
As mentioned in my last post, I would probably wear make up even if I wasn't all burnt because the made up look suits my hair and clothes better. I am vain. It is terrible.

It's quite normal, i too wear lots up make up from time to time because i have some chickenpox pits and scars. And when people see me without make-up, they start asking "what happened to your skin, you didn't have these wide pores, you seem pale, are you okay".

When you don't want to apply those heavy concealers, try to wear just some blusher(preferably peach color ones) , it works like a charm, hides all of the marks and burnts. And it also is a great match with mascara ;)

On the other hand, i hate my beauty marks. I'd rather consider them ugliness marks :/ I don't even understand if they really are beauty marks or freckles because each summer i'm getting more and more of them and they mostly are brownish red. They're pain in the ass while applying make-up.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »

beauty marks rule.

so do freckles.

buttercup.

• the girl you have in that merry green land...
  • ...can wait forever for you to come home.
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »

I just started wearing foundation and such for work. I don't really like it, and I prefer not to wear anything. I don't have much to hide though, except a few moles and a crazy blush. But it's all just my face.

Merk

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »

i never wore make-up before, but i've recently just got into the habit of wearing it now as a way to enhance my features and to cover up imperfections, but just light make-up though. if woman are allowed to wear make-up to make themselves feel better and more confident about themselves, i don't see any harm in men doing it. it would be interesting to see men wearing heavier make-up like eyeshadow and lipstick casually in more of a beauty aesthetically way.  it's a matter of getting accustomed to it all i suppose. 

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »

What's funny is the lady who cuts my hair always comments how healthy my hair is and winders what my hair care regime is. She's always angered by my answer.

Nothing. No gel, hairspray, mousse, volumizer, or anything else.

Makeup can be amazing, but I'd always be afraid of the treadmill you get stuck on (cleansing the face every night, putting makeup on every morning, making sure it looks perfect, then the reapplying of it as the day wears on.)

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »

What's funny is the lady who cuts my hair always comments how healthy my hair is and winders what my hair care regime is. She's always angered by my answer.

Nothing. No gel, hairspray, mousse, volumizer, or anything else.

Makeup can be amazing, but I'd always be afraid of the treadmill you get stuck on (cleansing the face every night, putting makeup on every morning, making sure it looks perfect, then the reapplying of it as the day wears on.)

It's for this reason I don't wear anything more than eyeliner and mascara. My skin is healthy and looks quite good without so why would I clog it up with foundation and such?
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 05:41:45 PM »

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »

^Interesting article. There are some cosmetic products developed especially for men (special rough make up pencils for sideburns and moustaches etc), but otherwise it all just seems to be the same thing under a different name. Personally, I think it makes guys look insecure when they'll only use the man-branded varieties. Guys who don't mind using general or even femininely advertised products look more comfortable with their sex and sexual identities.

@Above chat about scarred faces: I think mine is starting to get noticeably better. Over the past few months I've been looking in the mirror and seeing the scarring if I look at it, but it no longer dominates my face. It seems to have faded especially around my cheeks. It's only taken 9 years -.- I hope it keeps getting better.

dawlheart

• 50 ft queenie
  • Antiquehigheelredollshoe
    • Artwork Of Kirsten Ashley (portfolio site)
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 12:47:19 PM »

My tween cousin, who is male, wears the wrong shades. Example: He's taken a liking to bronzer. To the point where he looks like a friggin oompa loompa. My sister and I joke (we play it off as a joke but if he'd let us we'd do it) that we want to give him a makeover.
I don't see a problem with it most of the time.
But sometimes there are guys who go overboard, like a friend of mine used to. He wore so much that his face was a completely different tone to the rest of his body. Luckily he's toned it down so it looks more natural.

Re the article/original post: I don't think anyone who chooses to wear any shred of makeup or groom in any way is succumbing to an impossible beauty standard. When I was at my worst with my body dysmorphia I actually did NOT wear a shred of makeup because I thought it was pointless. Aesthetics depend on who you are. I am a creative type, so I like to express myself through fashion and makeup.  The article itself goes into detail about a rising in mens grooming products. I think it's become more socially acceptable. "Manscaping"/"metrosexuality" and all that. Basically there is a LINE. It's good and bad. Good that grooming isn't seen as emasculating (as much) anymore. I always loathed the stinky, sweaty gross man thing while there were ridiculous standards for women. I think the grooming/makeup has just brought body dysmorphia in men to the surface.
On a less serious note, I love me some men who can pull off makeup. Post-gothling here. So ya know. Watched The Crow one too many times as a kid.
~Why on earth would I prop you up when you so love the fall?~

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »

My tween cousin, who is male, wears the wrong shades. Example: He's taken a liking to bronzer. To the point where he looks like a friggin oompa loompa. My sister and I joke (we play it off as a joke but if he'd let us we'd do it) that we want to give him a makeover.

ask him if you can. sounds like he could use the help.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »

Screw asking... MAKEUP!!!!

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 03:41:06 PM »

Who knows, maybe he feels a bit lost anyway and would feel glad of the help. I've always been like that with these sorts of things, it's common for people to not want to ask for help with something they feel like they should be able to teach themselves to do, but to jump at the opportunity when offered.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up