THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eternal Sunshine for real?  (Read 2768 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
Eternal Sunshine for real?
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »

http://io9.com/5831588/why-we-need-memory+altering-drugs

...don't know how I feel about this.

#@!

lostxero

Re: Eternal Sunshine for real?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:20:48 PM »

Kinda destroys one of the fundamental things that makes us human. I have PTSD and major depression over some pretty bad stuff that happened, but I would never want to forget it, that would be kinda disgusting... living a lie to the utmost degree.

At what point do we just stop living and become the people from WALL-E?
the pixies made me do it!

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:56:10 PM »

hmmm...i think it would be ok in some ways and not in others...if it were to be used to try and help people deal with horrible traumas to make them "whole again" or however they put it, sure fine whatever...but if it got to the point where people were using it to forget a horrible date or some stupid crap then i see it being an issue...

the other big issue i see is, would this eventually lead to a sort of thing where you could be kidnapped and then forced to do whatever, or tortured, or brainwashed, etc, and then erase the memory and you'd never remember? cause that's not cool

or what if the event was big enough or whatever that eventually it started seeping back through, wouldnt that be awkward and could cause some issues?

lostxero

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »

Just wait till the government starts using this on people against their wills  :buck2:

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist or anything, but it this was readily available, I don't see why they wouldn't use it; only in special cases, at first....

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:47:59 PM »

see, they have it backwards.  we need to be putting more information into brains, not erasing what's there.

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 02:51:04 AM »

I can't imagine that they would really work. Somewhere in the back of your mind I think it would still be there.

I have images in my head I could do without but my brain does a very good job of remembering them everyday. It makes me crazy. Real, literal, crazy. I can see how that could drive someone to the point of trying to erase their memory.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »

....yeah, what totalfrog said.  seems to me like you'd have more luck shifting data around or deleting it with electronic means, rather than pharmaceutical.  how do you select a memory or a specific period of time with a pill?  for that matter, how does the pill tell the difference between an offending memory and, say, the ability to speak, write, or crap in a toilet, or anything else one might have learned?

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 10:11:58 AM »

Even if it would work, it would be very dangereous. Governments, federal bureaus, illegal organizations, etc. They'd take the adventage of this method.

For example, when you eye witnessed to an illegal activity of some important person, they could easily kidnap you and erase the memories about that activity.

Frightening.

And i wouldn't like any memory in my mind to be erased or damaged, even the bad ones. Our brains have the ability to ignore or erase the useless or upsetting memories as long as we don't want to remember them. Yes sometimes it goes out of the control, for example i don't want to remember how i experienced the big earthquake back in 99, it was totally terrible. I lost some friends, some neighbors, and the neighborhood i grew up in totally collapsed down. But suppose i got these memories erased, then whenever i experience such a natural disaster i'd feel like it had never happened before, i'd be afraid as if it's the first time i experienced it. And i wouldn't mind taking measures. I could not relate with my elder memories, because the term i got erased would always stay as a gap.

There are many negative sides. I don't think forgetting is a blessing, forgiveness is a good thing. But forgetting makes you weaker, if you forget your experiences about some hard situation, you have to face the same difficulties each time it happens.

Experiences and memories are what bring us maturity rather than the time. Without them, we all would stay as "Tabula Rasa (a.k.a Blank Page)".
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 12:52:41 PM »

An over-the-counter "memory dampener" could act like an anxiety medication but would instead restrict the activity of the hormones that trigger the types of responses associated with post-traumatic stress (flashback visualisation etc.). If that’s the case you would have a course of medication that would allow you to live for a period of time in which you are only reinforcing everyday memories and not the vivid disturbing memories. That should hopefully allow time for the old associations to weaken and prevent the vicious circle picking up again. In ordinary circumstances you are more likely to want to revisit good memories and this preference to remember good experiences (all things being fairly equal) will continue to dominate even if the memories are not experienced as vividly whilst the medication is being used. Actively remembering bad experiences in a more controlled mental environment might also help to change the character of the memory so it might be quite useful in that respect too. 

my above scenario is unlikely to create abuses but I think that other techniques could be put to mischief.

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:12:01 AM »

This is a stupid idea.

Those drugs could be so dangerous! What if you use them so much you end up erasing who you are and important things like how to walk and feed yourself? you could regress to a child!
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »

^
kind of like long-term heavy use of alcohol. ;D

lostxero

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 07:28:22 PM »

An over-the-counter "memory dampener" could act like an anxiety medication but would instead restrict the activity of the hormones that trigger the types of responses associated with post-traumatic stress (flashback visualisation etc.). If that’s the case you would have a course of medication that would allow you to live for a period of time in which you are only reinforcing everyday memories and not the vivid disturbing memories. That should hopefully allow time for the old associations to weaken and prevent the vicious circle picking up again. In ordinary circumstances you are more likely to want to revisit good memories and this preference to remember good experiences (all things being fairly equal) will continue to dominate even if the memories are not experienced as vividly whilst the medication is being used. Actively remembering bad experiences in a more controlled mental environment might also help to change the character of the memory so it might be quite useful in that respect too. 

my above scenario is unlikely to create abuses but I think that other techniques could be put to mischief.

The current medication used (off label) for memory dampening in traumatic cases is Gabapentin, which works the exact opposite way; it makes it so you can't form new memories. I was on it for seizures for a little while and it was hell because I couldn't function without short term memory.

Perhaps they will create a drug with the opposite effect, but I am still not a fan of memory altering drugs.

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 10:39:09 PM »

^
kind of like long-term heavy use of alcohol. ;D

Yet not as funny.
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

Tiervexx

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »

see, they have it backwards.  we need to be putting more information into brains, not erasing what's there.

YES.

I think I'd end up feeling greater depression if I knew there was a huge hole in my memory that I created.... the curiosity would destroy me.

...now, a treatment that leaves the memory in place but reduces its emotional weight might not be such a bad thing.  I still would not be willing to take it or associate with it but that does not bother me as much as just erasing the memory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up