THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Brigade - Should it die out or become more of a organised thing?  (Read 6621 times)

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~

It seems the passion for brigading at AFP/Dolls shows has lessened over the years so I would like to hear the Shadowboxes opinions of the Dirty Business Brigade
Is it an integral part of the AFP/Dolls/E.E shows?
or
Has Amanda's monster finally headed into the firey windmill and died?
How can the Brigade be improved/ressurected if so?

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
Re: The Brigade - Should it die out or become more of a organised thing?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »

I think it may need re-invigorating in some fashion.....
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »

Efforts to revitalize and organize it are awesome.

Though individuals should continue to brigade as they wish.
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »

Is it something Amanda wants anymore tho?
Have wanted to know the answer to that question since 2009.

Merk

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:40:31 AM »

i always thought of it being more of a dolls thing. it's sad that it has died down

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »

Yeah, I agree with that. And also now that no one officially gives a flying fuck about it, no one knows what it is, no one bothers to join in. Or people say that they will and no one ever hears from them about it again. One of the things I was talking to Johnny about when we were in Edinburgh was sort of...vague incentives to join in. Not like, money or prizes or anything, just a sort of...air of exclusivity, I suppose? Not in a way where we'd actually say "NO YOU CAN'T BE A PART OF IT" to anyone at all, but maybe just do things in a way that allows people to feel less like they're just going to a concert and sort of doing something beforehand and more like they're a part of a slightly more organised group and have their own special place within an actual thing.
Does that make sense? Anyway, I think it would help to bring...almost a sense of obligation to actually show up and do what you've said you'll do, I suppose? And possibly a way to bring other people in.

But I think that there are more reasons that we can't do it that way, though, than reasons that we can. It was just something I was thinking about.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

heytravistravis

• travis' tumblr
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »

I've never seen the Dirty Business Brigade in action, but I still have the dream of going to a Dresden Dolls concert and seeing you guys in full grand action, or even participating.

Organizing everyone for shows sounds very difficult to do, any perhaps there is newer forms of communication everyone can use that would be easier.

Mainly I just wanted to add that from someone that's so new to this world that something that sounds so amazing and magical shouldn't end like this.
i avoid being the sort of fan fan that mindlessly obsesses, depredating the intelligence of a community.
still i fangirl.

amanda really inspires me

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »

No one wants it to end, but it's just very difficult to keep it going at the moment with such a lack of interest. In the UK, at least. I don't know what's going on elsewhere, but that's because I don't often hear a lot about it. Either I'm not paying attention or it's not just us struggling with it? But it's good that there still are people who haven't been involved yet but still care about it! :)

☑✝
☒♀+cake

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:05:10 AM »

the fact that Johnny managed to do stuff in Edinburgh was brilliant.....sadly London did not brigade at this year.....but the weekend was good....it does not have to be a rigid structure and be at every show....nor does it have to die....if people want to do something wonderful

@raliel

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:02:20 AM »

It doesn't need to be at every show, but it's not really a thing if there's just a couple of people who occasionally do stuff to a largely uninterested group of people either.
Edinburgh was actually pretty good but you do often get heaps of people who have no idea what the fuck and just think you're being a fucking psycho. I think that a lot of people think that they can just show up in fancy clothes/costumes and fuck around and people will be thrilled, without actually trying to engage the audience in any way. And of course that's going to happen. It's not actually a professional performance group. Anyone can do anything. But no one does anything because they're pretty happy to use the option of just doing nothing and still pretending that it's performance or art and we can't really turn anyone down anyway.
I don't know if this makes that much sense because I don't really feel like writing ALL THE THINGS.

I think that Johnny's success in Edinburgh was based on the fact that he doesn't give a fuck and was willing to stand in front of everyone and yell stuff and then speak to everyone individually, there was this other guy helping with that in a really hilarious way and the other two had genuine skills to show everyone (brilliant juggling and playing a harp).
Not everyone is batshit crazy like Johnny or capable of bringing their skills to that particular type of audience.

One of the reasons I don't even bother trying to help organise the brigade or get props or costumes or anything, let alone making another attempt at doing something in front of people, is because if I have to watch one more girl show up in a pretty dress talking about how she's a ~performer~, I will kill myself.

☑✝
☒♀+cake

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »

this is kind of why, when i did try to do things, that i wanted a strong story or theme element..it stops it just being a bunch of random things....(the masks, and the funeral stuff worked ok I think) the sheer enrgy and effort involved makes the prospect a tad daunting especially when you have no idea of how many people are actually going to take part etc...lets just say we will save it for special occasions......

@raliel

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »

One of the reasons I don't even bother trying to help organise the brigade or get props or costumes or anything, let alone making another attempt at doing something in front of people, is because if I have to watch one more girl show up in a pretty dress talking about how she's a ~performer~, I will kill myself.

i appreciate anyone who makes an attempt to add to the atmosphere ot a show,
who does more than grab a tee and jeans on the way out the door

i also understand the difference between spending some time choosing an outfit and applying some makeup,
vesus developing an act, or showing off skillz like juggling that takes lot of practice

there are also limits that some people have in their lives.
they might have to work four jobs to make ends meet,
or care for disabled, sick relatives,
or ...
so the former may take less effort, but that be a much larger part of what
little free time they have, than the later

if the former over-hype themselves, or believe they are in the same class as the later -- shurg.  i compliment them on their effort, enjoy it for what it is, and move on

getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »

So? Standing around looking pretty does not make you a performer. That's the problem. I have no problem with people prettying themselves up to go to a concert or even to hang around with people who actually are doing something. Dressing up so you can go stand around and show everyone how pretty you are and telling everyone that you're performing is not cool and I've seen it detract from people actually doing things, which is also pretty unfair.
Seriously. It's fine to dress up.
It's not fine to go up to a bunch of people who are trying to put effort into something and make things and entertain people and go "I'm in the Brigade!" and answer to the question "what are you doing?" with "well...I have this really nice corset on." (a real thing that happened at a show in London, just in fewer words than were actually exchanged on the day. And just so you know, I didn't even TRY to shun this person or argue with them or anything like that, I am just completely unimpressed with it to this day and believe that the Brigade needs more people who take it seriously to work.)

☑✝
☒♀+cake

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »

I understand your point but entirely agree....I think the prime function of the Brigade was to entertain...not to be a professional performance, and as such has room for people simply looking pretty in costume all the way through to fire juggling clowns on stilts....If someone turns up and is wearing a pretty corset and wants to take part..fine just need to organise them into doing something useful like handing out sweets or random objects etc....it should be about finding roles for everyone rather than feeling superior (not accusing you of that but just saying)

@raliel

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 01:21:23 PM »

I agree with that, but it doesn't make it any less irritating when it happens. You can't always have extra things prepared for people who have nothing to do and BECAUSE it's not a professional thing, you kind of need to at least try or even fucking PRETEND to take responsibility for what you're doing on your own. I'll always be happy to provide props and help where I can, but it's pretty difficult to be prepared for a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing and don't care, particularly when you are already getting things ready for people who have actually gone to you and said "I need this and this and this but I'm having trouble. Help?!"

☑✝
☒♀+cake
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up