THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down

Author Topic: political lolz  (Read 14055 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
political lolz
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »

when politicians do something hilarious, or get bodyslammed by the facts in a way that amuses you, share it with us!

this is worldwide, not just a USA thing, so feel free to contribute wherever you are. :)

first up: Richard Dawkins takes down Texas Gov. Richard Perry:    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/attention-governor-perry-evolution-is-a-fact/2011/08/23/gIQAuIFUYJ_blog.html

;D

#@!

Tiervexx

Re: political lolz
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »

when politicians do something hilarious, or get bodyslammed by the facts in a way that amuses you, share it with us!

this is worldwide, not just a USA thing, so feel free to contribute wherever you are. :)

first up: Richard Dawkins takes down Texas Gov. Richard Perry:    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/attention-governor-perry-evolution-is-a-fact/2011/08/23/gIQAuIFUYJ_blog.html

;D

#@!

I think this was a good way to start the thread because it is a factual scientific issue.  I'm sure there will be other people posting conflicting opinions on unprovable issues and try to say it is being "bodyslammed by the facts"

I was especially fond of this statement in Dawkins' post:

Quote from:  Richard Dawkins
Intellect, knowledge and linguistic mastery are mistrusted by Republican voters, who, when choosing a president, would apparently prefer someone like themselves over someone actually qualified for the job.

I want to add that it's sure as hell not just republicans that do that... people in general like to elect people who they feel like they'd want to hang out with.  That seems to be the biggest factor in the general election.

What's funny is that Obama is very beatable right now... his approval rating is low but Republicans will hand him his reelection by giving the nomination to the craziest candidate they can find.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »

yet another Repub caught with his anti-gay pants down:    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44307357/ns/politics-more_politics/#.TlrCdl3ayus

;D

#@!

Dejah Thoris

• Don't know what I want but I know how to get it
  • evolution is coming
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »

I believe there was a moment, perhaps in 2007, when Dubya jumped up with a start upon the cold realization that Dick Cheney was completely insane.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:48:30 PM »

I believe there was a moment, perhaps in 2007, when Dubya jumped up with a start upon the cold realization that Dick Cheney was completely insane.
I think you give Dubya too much credit.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Tiervexx

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »

I think you give Dubya too much credit.

according to Dick Cheney's own words W stopped taking his advice late in his presidency.

Shock G

• Do the Humpty Hump!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:12:43 PM »

To all of those who have posted I am sorry to overshadow you with the biggest political LOL of our generation....and it happened in all of 2 seconds:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uxJyPsmEask" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uxJyPsmEask</a>

Yes that is a candidate for senate....a position where a person has the power to literally stall the US government as long as they want saying "I'm not a witch" on a major ad across her state.  I doubt anything will beat this...though if it does I am ready for major lulz.
I like my beats funky, I'm spunky, I like my oatmeal lumpy.

Tiervexx

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »

Yes that is a candidate for senate....a position where a person has the power to literally stall the US government as long as they want saying "I'm not a witch" on a major ad across her state.  I doubt anything will beat this...though if it does I am ready for major lulz.

You know she must have had at least one adviser screaming at her "NOOOO DON'T YOU DARE DIGNIFY THAT WITH A RESPONSE!"

Dejah Thoris

• Don't know what I want but I know how to get it
  • evolution is coming
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »

Can anyone say "Ponzi scheme" with the same hell-bent-for-leather boots to the groin stupidity as Rick Perry?

So, like, let's just end Social Security right now and then he will be right.

PALIN IN 2012!

HILTON/KARDASHIAN IN 2016!

BIEBER FOR KING!!

Tiervexx

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »

Can anyone say "Ponzi scheme" with the same hell-bent-for-leather boots to the groin stupidity as Rick Perry?

PALIN IN 2012!

BIEBER FOR KING!!

I agree that "ponzi" might not be the appropriate way to describe it but you must know that there is a problem:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/05/medicare-and-social-security-will-run-out-sooner-than-thought/

Shock G

• Do the Humpty Hump!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 03:29:15 AM »

PALIN IN 2012!

BIEBER FOR KING!!

I agree that "ponzi" might not be the appropriate way to describe it but you must know that there is a problem:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/05/medicare-and-social-security-will-run-out-sooner-than-thought/

This knowledge is nothing new....though the GOP was against the measures which would keep it solvent.  It is really strange that now the far right has something in common with the following Vice President who gave an early warning of the coming social security crisis:

I like my beats funky, I'm spunky, I like my oatmeal lumpy.

Tiervexx

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »

PALIN IN 2012!

BIEBER FOR KING!!

This knowledge is nothing new....though the GOP was against the measures which would keep it solvent.  It is really strange that now the far right has something in common with the following Vice President who gave an early warning of the coming social security crisis:

We need to jack up the retirement age.  By a lot.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 12:03:42 PM »

no. we don't. the math has already been done on this: currently, people stop paying into SS on any income above about $108k. raise that to $180k (or better yet, remove the cap altogether) and the problem disappears.

#@!

Tiervexx

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »

no. we don't. the math has already been done on this: currently, people stop paying into SS on any income above about $108k. raise that to $180k (or better yet, remove the cap altogether) and the problem disappears.

#@!

you replace the problem with another.  Then more cash would go to bad investments.

People are living longer!  Why not work longer if you can't afford to retire on your own money?

Furthermore, I don't see why people who are able should not have the option of just saving for their own retirement.  SS was originally supposed to just be a safety net, not a general fund for everyone whether they need it or not.  Got a close friend on SSD (social security disability).  I'd be okay with some of my taxes going to that but I still want to be able to invest my own share of the general social security fund how I see fit.  Chile came up with a good way of letting young people do that.

...So basically what I want to see is you can just pay a smaller SS fee that just goes to needy people and you are free to put the rest of what you'd have to pay in whatever fund you want, or just spend it on booze...

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 06:52:56 AM »

please share this widely!
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up