THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Likes Amanda Palmer?  (Read 6082 times)

seeate

Who Likes Amanda Palmer?
« on: September 19, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »

Not Simon Sweetman apparently.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/blogs/blog-on-the-tracks/5652621/Who-likes-Amanda-Palmer

Informed opinion or fan baiting? You decide.

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
Re: Who Likes Amanda Palmer?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »

I didn't think it was fan baiting until he took a dig at Neil. Looks like Mr Sweetman wants lots of comments on his article...

None of what he said hasn't been said before. Some of the folks around here have some of the same problems with AFP. Especially when it comes to the constant uke playing.

Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:48:15 AM »

some of the comments were hilarious.

I agree with his feelings on the whole ukelele phenomenon. He did a piss-poor job of expressing it, though.

the rest of it was pretty much 100% sniveling wannabe-hipster shit.

...yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:22:54 AM »

But then, the one thing the live show did do for me was highlight that the real issue I have is that Amanda F**king Palmer is simply not very good. She cannot sing. Her playing is nothing special at all. Often it's close to terrible.

what about her style and lyrics? aren't they special?

and i disagree with the idea 'she can't sing' either, she clearly can. it's just her voice goes out of tune while she's singing some songs which do not suit her vocal range and tone.
i'm not that ok with her playing ukulele, personally i'd love her latter works better if she played piano. but it's her choice of instrument. and i think at some point she'll give up and go back to the organ & piano.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:07:27 AM »

but it's her choice of instrument.

i thought so too. but, having heard her new "legitimate" songs, i can say that it's definitely not. i never thought i would be saying this but i prefer her uke garbage to her three new piano songs. if her next "real" album is anything as obnoxious and self-indulgent as all the people you will never be, losing song, and warrior within (if those are the titles), then i'm going to be really disappointed. and i had reached a point where i didn't think that was even possible anymore.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:55:11 AM »

First point, I've read a few of his blog entries, and none ever got across to me, he comes across as a douche.

Secondly, there's nothing in there than hasn't been said before, but I think the way that it was written here bugs me. I have no problem with the main points in the blog coming from people who are/were part of the fan base. Here, it sounds like someone who had higher hopes than they were willing to admit, and in finding themselves disappointed, decided to blog about it like a teenage girl.
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:24:42 AM »

i feel that comments like "sniveling hipster shit" and "like a teenage girl" are part of the same problem that they're criticizing.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »

I perceive the true purpose of this post:

He's secretly hoping she WILL call her next album "Who Likes Amanda Palmer",
so he can claim a bit of fame-by-association.... "Yeah, I thought that bit up...  ^-^ "
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »

His comments were a tad catty in my opinion.
But I'm not going to give a simple "Zomg, FU! AFT 4 LYF!" fan response.

I'm simply going to say that people who can't sing, don't get signed to labels.

As for the uke and the recent flurry of novelty songs, well that's been discussed to great lengths already.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »

but it's her choice of instrument.

i thought so too. but, having heard her new "legitimate" songs, i can say that it's definitely not. i never thought i would be saying this but i prefer her uke garbage to her three new piano songs. if her next "real" album is anything as obnoxious and self-indulgent as all the people you will never be, losing song, and warrior within (if those are the titles), then i'm going to be really disappointed. and i had reached a point where i didn't think that was even possible anymore.

Jesse I just read this quote from Jason Webley in an interview about the songs he was listening to while working on the Evelyn Evelyn book and I want to share it with you:

Amanda Palmer: "Do It with a Rock Star"

I'm constantly amazed and impressed by my "sister" Amanda. This song isn't on any album yet, but the whole time we were on the Evelyn Evelyn tour last year she kept playing it during sound check. At first I thought it must have been some hit song from a while back because of how immediately familiar and strong it felt. When she told me it was a new song of hers, I remembered what a kick-ass songwriter my sister is. I'm excited to see what this song does once it gets let out of the cage.

The last sentence is what strikes me. The song is still in it's cage right now. This song, the other new songs - they're not entirely finished yet (as they have not been recorded properly and released into the world the way Amanda hears it in her head - or the way she and her producer will hear it when they work on it). They're not finished, they've yet to mature, the egg has barely hatched. Let's see where it flies - it may soar, it may fall. we shall see.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »

i feel that comments like "sniveling hipster shit" and "like a teenage girl" are part of the same problem that they're criticizing.

you're wrong.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »

As long as Ben Folds is not playing the drums in the new album ...  :D

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »

As long as Ben Folds has nothing to do with the new album ...  :D

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 03:13:32 AM »

That wasn't the intention.
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »

One has to ask....why did he go? and indeed the antpodean album was not everyones cup of vegemite but it was never supposed to be anything other than a fun tribute to the antipodean fans....
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up