THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the gardener lyrics  (Read 23408 times)

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

Re: the gardener lyrics
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »

tara had it transcribed somewhere on the old box
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2008, 01:54:03 PM »

who's Tara? was that ataraxia?
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2008, 02:03:50 PM »

I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

Johnny

• Get your leather on
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »

Anyone have an MP3 to this song?

mmmm

I want it on my ipod.

over and over again!
I don't have low self esteem. I just have low esteem for everyone else.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

amanda, 2005-04-15

Johnny

• Get your leather on
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »

Oh.

Thanks.

I feel stupid for not finding it earlier. There's like a whole post with songs in it.

Thanks for the help.

And I really like what they've done with it.

It sounds perfect with guitar instead of the piano.
I don't have low self esteem. I just have low esteem for everyone else.

ShutMeUp

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 09:14:45 PM »

No offense to BiaC, but this is a much better recording.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/buiv6c

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 09:16:51 PM »

No offense to BiaC, but this is a much better recording.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/buiv6c

I totally agree. I just prefer the other one because I believe thats what the studio version is going to sound like and because its not 17mb. =P

The one from Boston has the incorrect lyrics, so I think the MO is the best at present.
amanda, 2005-04-15

robby

• awkward teenage boy
    • blog
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 08:04:49 AM »

Who knows if my interpretation is accurate or not but The Gardener is one of my all time favorites so here goes...  I've always viewed it as a father/daughter relationship and the daughter is perhaps pregnant?  The father would be the gardener figure and maybe he wants to rid his garden (family or life?) of a worthless weed (the daughter).  It would seem that he views her as an embarrassment and is ashamed so he uses physical and verbal abuse to tear her down.  I also think that the dialogue goes back and forth between the father and daughter in the song and it's not just one being speaking.  And that's about all I've got so far... sounds a bit strange but it could be the underlying story!
i think this is right.
tthis song is beautiful.

Musings

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 12:26:37 AM »

My two versions of The Gardener just played one after another (on shuffle) and I felt nostalgic for this thread.

www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

Moose138

• We Bite!
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2008, 10:15:26 AM »

I think the song is about the 'showbiz' mom.  A mother who failed (wilted) is now pushing the child to fulfill her failed dreams.  The religious allegory is more about the sacrifice of the child.  The 'global warming' is in reference to becoming famous.

Anyone else see it?

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »

I think the song is about the 'showbiz' mom.  A mother who failed (wilted) is now pushing the child to fulfill her failed dreams.  The religious allegory is more about the sacrifice of the child.  The 'global warming' is in reference to becoming famous.

Anyone else see it?

Yes, although in my case the mom is a betentacled politician/military leader, and it involves her daughter having an affair with a certain "Mr. Right Dolphin", who has a tail and several other girlfriends.

The song reminds me of the Kentucky-fried Jedi, Vergere, from the Star Wars: New Jedi Order books, who says to Han Solo's son something about gardening and how he shouldn't try saving all the slaves with coral growing on them, but save the best and win the gardening contest held by the Space Mayans with the help of a tentacle brain. At least, that's how I remember it. She also strings him up on a torture rack called the Embrace of Pain.
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

Moose138

• We Bite!
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2008, 09:59:46 AM »

Yes, although in my case the mom is a betentacled politician/military leader, and it involves her daughter having an affair with a certain "Mr. Right Dolphin", who has a tail and several other girlfriends.

The song reminds me of the Kentucky-fried Jedi, Vergere, from the Star Wars: New Jedi Order books, who says to Han Solo's son something about gardening and how he shouldn't try saving all the slaves with coral growing on them, but save the best and win the gardening contest held by the Space Mayans with the help of a tentacle brain. At least, that's how I remember it. She also strings him up on a torture rack called the Embrace of Pain.
[/quote]

Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

gardener lyrics; new verse/mistake?
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 10:41:25 PM »

in the most recent recording, it sounds like amanda almost goes into "the insides are all wilted."

but she doesn't:

the insides are wilted
its a bad choice all the same(?)
i will...
i wont...
i love...(?)
amanda, 2005-04-15

kayci

• LiveJournal
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 11:30:28 PM »

makes me think this song is about the gardener speaking to the tree the crucifix was made out of?  The gardener being whoever planted this tree and the brambles used for thorns?  possibly Jesus?

People who know the Bible/Jesus stories better, tell me what the frick this song is about.  It's been bugging me because I've been listening to it a lot since the concert.  I get crown of thorns = Jesus, but after that I'm pretty lost, the perspective of the song seems to be switching sometimes.  And I'm sure there are other non-Jesus related layers here that I'm not getting.

I don't know much about Jesus, but here are my thoughts:

Gardening/mention of Spring ("spring might come around") - ressurection
"Take the belt from off the hook" - Whipping at the cross, along with the bramble/thorn imagery

*shrug*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All   Go Up