THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you ever find yourself alone in the room?  (Read 4038 times)

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
Do you ever find yourself alone in the room?
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:08:04 PM »

I'm talking about opinions on issues. I mean, here on the Shadowbox there is a bit of a trend toward liberal thinking. I'm no exception, but I do find myself occasionally holding opinions that counter the community standards. This is the case in any community. I perceive myself to occupy this role more often than most people, but that could be chalked up to subjectivity.

All that is just an explanation of the type of thing I mean. I am looking for specifics. It would be nice if we could avoid turning this into a debate on any particular topic, in favor of sharing the experience of diverging from the crowd using examples. So what is it? What opinion do you find yourself most commonly defending? Do you work hard to seek out communities tailored to your philosophies, or do you allow yourself to be folded into those with alien beliefs? Maybe you seek it out sometimes. I'm sure we're not all seekers of the security of bubbles of like-mindedness.

Share. If it suits you.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
Re: Do you ever find yourself alone in the room?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:57:44 AM »

quite often.

it's never bothered me.

:glasses9:

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 12:30:19 PM »

Does it have to be on the Box? If so, I think the main thing is just the religion thing, and probably specifically that if someone's religion is against something like homosexuality, then they should be free to hold and express that belief. It might offend people, but there's the offense of someone disagreeing with you, and then there's the offense of someone protesting your brother's military funeral with signs saying "God Hates Fags" and what have you. The two seem almost to be treated like the same thing here sometimes, and that's just not fair. So, yeah, I think when that sort of debate comes up I feel I'm in a minority.

My feelings towards obese people are at odds with a lot of people here as well, so I keep them to myself for the most part.

If it's outside the Box (which is where I do some of my best thinking ;) ) then I can only think of one thing off the top of my head. Non-Brits might not have heard, but there was a scandal recently when a British politician referred to "more serious" kinds of rape, implying that some rape wasn't serious. While I do of course hold that all rape is serious and dreadful, I don't think that it's all on the same level. Date-rape, rape at knife- or gun-point, the rape of children - all these are significantly more serious, I think, than say statutory rape between two consenting people if one's under-age, or perhaps if the man really didn't understand that she was saying no - perhaps he was blind drunk? I don't know, this one is trickier for me, but I mean like I've had to really spell it out to Seamus before when he's really drunk, but I wouldn't call him an attempted rapist. I also think that, while I would never blame the victim of rape for what happens, there are a lot of things that people need to be educated on and more aware of in order to reduce rape, and some them are things that women should be doing. Just things like knowing that you can say no at any point, regardless of how naked or horny you both are, and that that's OK, or like keeping your drink safe, or not walking home on your own. That's not saying people who don't do that are somehow deserving of rape, or that it's OK that women should have to do all this, because it's not - we should be able to walk where we want, when we want, wearing what we like and as drunk as we feel like being - but that's not realistic, and until some magic wand is waved and we're all shiny and happy and utopian, I think women need to take better care of themselves.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »

I have some pretty odd ideas about many things that others do not always share....in particular my views on religion...people find it hard to understand why someone who obviously finds religion ridiculous is still very much a non materialist
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »

Indja, it can be absolutely anywhere.

I find myself often the lone standout on some point of degree, For instance, I find racism and sexism to be serious problems in our society, but I find some patterns of behavior that are often held up as discrimination to be related to some other social mechanism. There are dozens of these things. Drug laws, capital punishment... also the same problem Raliel has with religion and materialism. There seems to be a third choice in almost every dichotomy (or fourth or fifth), and I seem to find those alternate positions to be more reasonable than the status quo. Usually.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:16:21 AM »

indeed   if everything were simply good or bad, positive or negative.....heads or tails.....Then rainbows would be zebras

@raliel

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:36:31 AM »

indeed   if everything were simply good or bad, positive or negative.....heads or tails.....Then rainbows would be zebras
This is an awesome phrase.
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 11:34:45 AM »

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 01:01:28 PM »

There seems to be a third choice in almost every dichotomy (or fourth or fifth), and I seem to find those alternate positions to be more reasonable than the status quo. Usually.

Some apparent false dichotomies are just unintentional obfuscations. It’s particularly problematic with thought experiments that are intended to draw out detail but are mistaken for descriptions of reality.

Some dichotomies are authentic on the basis that the apparent additional options are doubtful when taken in with other information. Sometimes these reasons to doubt have to remain undisclosed because the reasoning chain is too long to detail.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 01:47:51 PM »

I'm known as the "Voice of Loyal Dissent" on another board. I stand alone on a lot of issues. Global warming, healthcare, budget fixes. you name it, and I've been alone on the topic, but I always keep an open mind and I present things in a mostly respectful way. I have no patience for stupidity or regurgitated talking points (which is the most common thing to hear) and I tend to get snippy in the face of those two things after a short period of time.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »

THAT is a zebra that is a rainbow....far more fun than a rainbow that is a zebra

@raliel

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 04:01:10 PM »

Sometimes these reasons to doubt have to remain undisclosed because the reasoning chain is too long to detail.

sometime the beginning of the chain is based in beliefs or assumptions,
that the reasoner doesn't even understand

uncovering these is often necessary to make any real progress
towards consensus and understanging
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 04:06:56 PM »

oh yes on that note.....anyone here actuall believe in linear reality? I really do not

@raliel

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »

Sometimes these reasons to doubt have to remain undisclosed because the reasoning chain is too long to detail.

Very true & very true.

Would be great if there was a comprehensive interactive wiki database of "this leads to this or this" that could be drawn upon.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »

Are we aiming at a consensus of opinion? Sounds shitty to me.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up