THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think/hope will be on the new B-sides CD??  (Read 9944 times)

matt james

• Matt James Photography
Re: What do you think/hope will be on the new B-sides CD??
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2008, 02:26:27 AM »

Have A & B planned a release date yet? Or even a name for the album?

Niels

• Shadows stuffed with organs
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2008, 05:12:27 AM »

Lonesome Organist
What would be the point? We already have a perfectly good studio recording.

not really though... it was released, just not here.
I'd love to have Lonesome Organist on a cd (or vinyl, hint hint)

Holmes

• you're my
  • betch
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2008, 10:12:32 AM »

what about NEW things NOBODY has heard?!

gotta give some variation.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2008, 10:13:45 AM »

what about NEW things NOBODY has heard?!

gotta give some variation.

I would prefer they get all the old stuff recorded and done with that way when its time for their next album/tour, we can have all new stuff.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

dj50tonhamster

• Shake your booty like Sheik Yerbouti
  • A kindler, gentler machine gun hand
Re: What do you think/hope will be on the new EP??
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »

oh, i like this game!!
i know everything!!!

we decided on one full album.
we finished and sequenced it last night.

11 songs total. 2 previously released. 9 never heard by no-one. 5 brand new recordings from last week.

possible 2 live additions, which would make for a grand total of 13.

Okay. Since Amanda has totally dissed me and not taken me up on my offer for a game of checkers, I'll take a guess.

Previously released: "Two-Headed Boy" and "Lonesome Organist...". (Other than radio edits, I don't think it can be anything else.)
Older: "Boston," "The Kill," "The Gardener," and "The Mouse and the Model."
Brand new: "Night Reconnaissance," "The Sheep Song," "Sorry Bunch," "Ultima Esperanza," and something nobody has ever heard of, or maybe a cover they just felt like doing that day. (<-- Went back and changed this one. I left off UE the first time due to my absent-mindedness.)
Live: "Mein Herr" and "Amsterdam."
"Mommy, will God send fire ants for me someday?"
"Only if you're good and you pray every day, then Jesus sends the bugs for ya. Good night."

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »

PLEASE no covers. PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASE.

Bank, Slipper, Gardener, and Ultima. Nothing else. Thats all I want now. D:
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

Musings

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »

How does releasing covers on an album work?  Do you have to get rights to the song and all that junk?

That was my only reasoning behind no covers.

But otherwise, I could definitely, definitely see the live tracks being covers.
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

dj50tonhamster

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »

How does releasing covers on an album work?  Do you have to get rights to the song and all that junk?

I believe that all you have to do is pay royalties to the original songwriter(s). As long as you do that, you can release a cover.

(Fun fact: this applies to live performances too! If you cover a song live, the venue is supposed to pay songwriting royalties. Venues do get busted for this, although I don't know how often or how much money's involved.)

But otherwise, I could definitely, definitely see the live tracks being covers.

I don't see what else they could be, really, unless A&B just feel like releasing a couple of bad-ass renditions of currently available tracks. ("Half Jack" would be a great example, although they did that one with the iTunes EP.) I seriously doubt they'll put on some ancient bootleg recordings of some super-rare songs.
"Only if you're good and you pray every day, then Jesus sends the bugs for ya. Good night."

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2008, 11:56:52 AM »

Ahaha, I'm still holding out for Colorblind being one of the live tracks. I'd be delighted if the album has 13 tracks. I think it was mentioned somewhere A&B wanted to make something called The Backup Tape, so that could be the title.
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2008, 11:57:43 AM »

The bonus live tracks could be Mandy and/or Half-Jack. They're both significantly longer when played live, with extra parts and such.
amanda, 2005-04-15

Holmes

• you're my
  • betch
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2008, 12:17:46 PM »

ultima has to make the cut.

Musings

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2008, 02:31:33 PM »

I believe that all you have to do is pay royalties to the original songwriter(s). As long as you do that, you can release a cover.

(Fun fact: this applies to live performances too! If you cover a song live, the venue is supposed to pay songwriting royalties. Venues do get busted for this, although I don't know how often or how much money's involved.)

That's really interesting.  I didn't know about the venue thing.  It seems somewhat unfair for the venue, no?  Like the venue shouldn't be able to control what a certain artist plays, and should also not get punished for what an artist plays.

Not that I'd think it would happen in this case, but because I'm curious, can a songwriter block a cover of their song from being sold?
So, could like Jeff Mangum, say I want no covers of anything I've written ever to be sold or performed live and I don't want your royalties?

The idea of royalties for covers is interesting, because if you come from the theory that all art sort of piggy-backs off of and converses with each other, royalties are less relevant.  Monies are important to starving artists, but most of the artists making monies out of covers are probably not starving...

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

dj50tonhamster

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2008, 04:07:29 PM »

That's really interesting.  I didn't know about the venue thing.  It seems somewhat unfair for the venue, no?  Like the venue shouldn't be able to control what a certain artist plays, and should also not get punished for what an artist plays.

Caveat: it's been awhile since I did proper research on the subject, and the two books I briefly consulted just now didn't say anything offhand. (I could've easily missed something, though.)

That said, I believe the idea comes more from the concept of cover bands. Let's say you have a band doing Doors covers at the local bar. (It's not nearly as common now but was once pretty common for people to come out solely to listen to cover bands, and even for the local radio station to advertise said shows.) Some concertgoers will also presumably drink up a storm, toasting to when they lost their virginity to "Light My Fire" or whatever. So, because of a cover band, the bar's making more money. Songwriters presumably felt like this wasn't fair and got laws passed stating that songwriter royalties must be paid by the venue whenever somebody plays a cover. (Why the band doesn't have to pay, I don't know. Or maybe they do? I never looked into that one.)

That's my understanding. If somebody can correct me, please do so. There was a discussion on the board awhile back about this very subject. I think Chris (gargantuan) wanted to cover "Sing" at an open mic night and the subject came up. I'm too lazy to search for the thread, though.  :buck2:

Not that I'd think it would happen in this case, but because I'm curious, can a songwriter block a cover of their song from being sold?
So, could like Jeff Mangum, say I want no covers of anything I've written ever to be sold or performed live and I don't want your royalties?

I'm pretty sure this is impossible. As long as songwriting royalties are paid to the publisher, I don't think there's any way a band can block a cover from being released.

Now, if somebody wants to use your original song in a commercial, you can block that, or set a price so high that it's blocked by default. I'm pretty sure covers can be blocked too. Tom Waits has successfully sued several companies that used poorly obfuscated covers of his songs to sell products.

The idea of royalties for covers is interesting, because if you come from the theory that all art sort of piggy-backs off of and converses with each other, royalties are less relevant.  Monies are important to starving artists, but most of the artists making monies out of covers are probably not starving...

Perhaps, but when you get down to brass tacks, somebody out there wants to get paid. It might be some shark of a lawyer who wants a rooftop jacuzzi but somebody - once you get high enough up the popularity chain anyway - wants money. The art of commerce and the commerce of art and all that.

Besides, you have to draw a line somewhere. It is true that art doesn't exist in a vacuum but when exactly is it okay to just copy/modify somebody else's ideas without acknowledging them? To me, the royalty system is just a series of lines. One can argue about whether the laws are just but there has to be some sort of standard.

Musings

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2008, 05:31:51 PM »

I was tempted to write something that was like: Bah, individual intellectual property and we all own everything and down with capitalism!

But  I didn't.  This free culture movement, however, is something I agree with:  http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9801EFDA1439F936A15752C0A9629C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2, although it isn't always directly relevant. 

Thinkers like Lessig and Zittrain promote a vision of a world in which copyright law gives individual creators the exclusive right to profit from their intellectual property for a brief, limited period -- thus providing an incentive to create while still allowing successive generations of creators to draw freely on earlier ideas. They stress that borrowing and collaboration are essential components of all creation and caution against being seduced by the romantic myth of ''the author'': the lone garret-dwelling poet, creating masterpieces out of thin air. ''No one writes from nothing,'' says Yochai Benkler, a professor at Yale Law School. ''We all take the world as it is and use it, remix it.''

And I say acknowledgment is quite different from payment.  For an example.  I could cite paragraphs from another book in my thesis, and all I have to do is plunk down a citation and reference, and I'm good to go.  And thank god, because I would be quite poor if I had to pay everyone that I took material from, or even everyone who I am inspired by when I write a poem.  (And yeah, I realize I'm not going to be making money off of most things I write, but even for actual writers who do, they don't have that issue either, as long as they carefully cite everything, no?) I see no problem with writing "Neutral Milk Hotel's Two-Headed Boy" on the back of a CD and leaving it at that.  I strongly believe that everyone should be acknowledged for the contributions they give to a certain artwork, but being paid is an entirely different story.  I mean if you think about the amount of art and poetry and books and even reflective music that come out of an iconic artist's life -- say Bob Dylan.  Thousands of things inspired by him.  But musicians who want to respect him in a certain way that they know how, have to pay him royalties?

A cover is something different from the original song, no?  Even if it something as simple as a difference in voice.  It's a new piece of art.  If you truly believe in the ownership of ideas, a cover is more owned by the new artist than than the old.

The whole thing about the venues (and especially if the bands have to pay) having to pay still feels utterly ridiculous to me.  So what if the bar is making more money because it's a cover band?  That's sort of tangential to the issue, right?  People at a Flogging Molly concert probably drink more heavily than people at a Yanni concert.  Such is life.  It just seems like a cheap way to make money off of others who are trying to make it once you don't want tour yourself.

Edit:  Actually, writers might face the same sort of copyright issues.  In the article I linked, it said something about someone getting sued for writing a book based on Gone With the Wind from a slave's perspective.  That is still so much bull, though.

ShutMeUp

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2008, 03:09:43 PM »

where could one download A Night at the Roses?

Right here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/87ge4a

Enjoy!  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up