THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Just like Trent Reznor (before handpicking The Dolls as support on NIN's 2005 tour), dig in to some of the band's amazing music videos on YouTube

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: help save toscanini’s - a piece of dolls history  (Read 3922 times)

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
help save toscanini’s - a piece of dolls history
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:44:43 AM »

if any of you are local to boston, you may have heard that toscanini's has been shut down because of tax reasons and they are trying desperately to raise money to make a down payment so they can re-open.
this place is a huge piece of dresden dolls, and my personal, history. let me tell you about it.

toscanini's is a store (there used to be three branches, harvard, MIT and central sq. - now only the flagship central location remains) that makes very special ice-cream. flavors like burnt caramel, chocolate elvis, banana's foster and champagne sorbet have bowled people over for years. it's been called "the best ice-cream in the world" by the new york times. the owner, gus, is a huge music lover and has been a non-stop suppporter of the boston & cambridge arts community.

he gave me my first (and only, thank god) day job, being a barista and scooping ice cream, when i was almost out of college and 20 years old.
when i wanted to get into street performing, i asked gus if he would let me use the basement staff bathroom at toscanini's in harvard square as a dressing room, since i had no other place i could leave my gear and make-up. thus began a beautiful succession of summers where i would perform as a living statue and use toscanini's, two blocks away from my spot, as my home base. the customers would see this freaky chick emerge from the basement in full bridal gown covered with white paint carrying a huge vase of flowers weave through through the lines of ice-cream-manic children without a second glance from the staff.....it was a constant david lynch moment. i loved it.

right after i met brian, i recommended him and he started working at toscanini's too. he worked mostly at the MIT store and sold our first 5-song demos from behind the counter. some of our first fans EVER came from MIT via the ice-cream connection. i could go on and on about how much of an institution this place is for gigging musicians (gus would always hire musicians and let their touring schedules dictate their work schedules). some of my fondest memories of our early band days were going into visit brian on his work shift there and hearing him play SWANS and Miles Davis on the huge bose speaker system while i would slurp free coffee and sit and read the paper.

we just stopped by the store a few weeks ago after practice and said hi to gus, who was so kind to us and gave brian a free pint of ice cream and me a free cup of tea. we had no idea any of this was going on. we call gus the "santa claus of ice cream".

if you can, please donate a little bit of money, and fast - all the info is here.

thank you.

music box

• View Profile
    • http://icemyeyes.deviantart.com/
Re: help save toscanini’s - a piece of dolls history
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 01:25:20 AM »

you've made me crave ice cream... and a possible donation.

we'll so how my paycheck looks this weekend.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 06:24:55 AM »

i can't see why this man deserves money. hasn't he been pocketing what should have been paid to taxes for years? i find it outrageous that people are donating to someone who stole from them.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 11:51:53 AM »

Assuming the story on the website is accurate, and it sounds plausible,
the problem isn't theft, it's poor decision making...  He took money that
should have been held back for payroll taxes, and spent it on things like
stuff to sell, electric/water/gas bill...  maybe paying his staff.

I'd help if I could, although it looks like he'll be OK without me...  but I'm
extraordinarily broke.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

tonic pancake.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »

i've been bowled over by burnt caramel.  i can't help at all because i have 0 dollars to my name, but i hope they're able to open again soon!

tonic pancake.

• View Profile

T K

• not a kid anymore
  • Global Moderator
  • Brother, my cup is empty
    • View Profile
    • Twilite
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 07:00:54 PM »

SWANS and ice cream?

That has to be a first.

WillK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »

i can't see why this man deserves money. hasn't he been pocketing what should have been paid to taxes for years? i find it outrageous that people are donating to someone who stole from them.

This is a good piece of programming that you are showing.  He's stolen NOTHING.  By saying that he's stolen money you are making a huge, unfounded leap. I guess if you accept that the government pre-owns your life and productivity you might say that by not giving them all they demand and on time it's stealing, but who in their right mind would accept that premise? Your life and productivity are yours.  You might give some to government because you agree with their cause or because you fear their use of force, but in no case are you handing over something that belongs to the government.
  There's too little sympathy for small business owners.  It's easy to pay taxes when an employer deducts them for you and/or you have a feeble income. Tax day becomes a refund for many. I know nothing of you and am not accusing you of that. Just remember that when an employee gets a paycheck and %7.5 is taken out for social security an employer has to pay a matching %7.5. But on your employer's income, or anyone with form 1099 income,  they have to pay both the %7.5 plus another %7.5 self employment tax on top of income tax. So let's say an employer is paying %25 from the tax tables and then %7.5 and the other %7.5 plus %7 or %8 for the state taxes plus sales tax on their take home plus mandated health care plus tax fines that inevitably result because the tax code is too freaking complicated and you are looking at a %50 tax rate for the people who take risks and make jobs.  A wise person said "a fine is a tax for doing something wrong and a tax is a fine for doing something right."
  The other reason why this man deserves money is simply self interest. All over the US small and interesting places are closing and being replaced by really boring business chains that are typically not owned by people or corporations that have to live next to them.  These large chains don't always care very much about what they are doing as long as it is profitable. Is that who you want to make your ice cream?  Would you like to see the best places near you replaced by Wendy's, payless shoes and the like?  What about visiting new places? Why bother if all they have is the same Applebee's or whatever. The chains have advantages over small business.  They have economies of scale that afford legal and accounting divisions to streamline taxes, borrowing power to cover deficits.   There's all kinds of reasons for sympathize for the shopkeepers. I don't think they should pay a dime in taxes.
  For resisting government he got $10 from me. It's almost nothing, but I have government stealing really hard from me just now for 2005 and 2006 so it's hard to give very much.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 09:58:56 PM »

I guess if you accept that the government pre-owns your life and productivity you might say that by not giving them all they demand and on time it's stealing, but who in their right mind would accept that premise?

Me.

Before you assume, my family owns a small business. We're not doing well, at all. My dad has had a single day off in the past two years; he works twelve hours a day, seven days a week, to barely break even.

But he doesn't not pay his taxes.

edit:

sorry. ill keep things to myself next time.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

ShutMeUp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »

You should say what you want. If people want to shoot you down, thats their problem!  :)

WillK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 10:18:29 PM »

I guess if you accept that the government pre-owns your life and productivity you might say that by not giving them all they demand and on time it's stealing, but who in their right mind would accept that premise?

Me.

By saying "Me" to the premise it sounds like you are saying that you accept that the government owns you.  Are you sure?   I think you own you, completely.
  I am not trying to sound mean.   I think it's a good exchange and am trying to offer a defense for someone accused of theft.

SisterDesire

• I am the world's worst accident.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 10:26:10 PM »

I could only send $5. I wish I could send more, but I'm poor... I hope it helps some....... I remember Helena telling me stories about Toscanini's........
"I want to do more than survive; I want to rub it in your face."

zeller.press

• formerly transizione
    • View Profile
    • zeller press!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 06:44:52 PM »

it's awesome to see that they've raised enough money to keep going.
especially since it really is the best ice cream on the planet.

Blue Larkspur

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 02:07:17 AM »

I'm glad they're able to re-open.  I'll ask my sister if she went there when she was at Boston U.  But then, she's lactose intolerant and can't have much ice cream. :(  How horrible is that?

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 11:39:51 AM »

Me.

Before you assume, my family owns a small business. We're not doing well, at all. My dad has had a single day off in the past two years; he works twelve hours a day, seven days a week, to barely break even.

But he doesn't not pay his taxes.

edit:

i love that this discussion started.
next topic: OBAMA vs HILLARY:GO!

seriously, thank you guys for anything you did to help.
we're really happy they achieved their goal so quickly.

my opinion, btw, is that gus was not wise to try to slip through the tax-paying but 100% cool to admit his own mistake on the website.
lots of people would skank out but anyone willing to do a mea culpa is great in my book.
small businesses are VERY hard to run, restaurants especially.

i would guess that the vast majority of them do sneaky tax shit for survival.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up