THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Year's resolutions?  (Read 22311 times)

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
Re: 2012 resolutions?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 09:10:04 AM »

So another thing that was a vague resolution of mine was to do some theater. It's a part of my life that I dropped long ago and it's been scratching at the door to come back in. So I was asked about the parent/teacher play at my kids' school and I said, sure I'd like to participate and then I was cast and received a script and rehearsal starts Wednesday. I am a bit startled but also delighted.

The reason I am posting about this is that what worked for me on this issue was outside forces. I opened the door a crack and WHOOSH someone blew it open. I'm good about keeping commitments to other people, but not to myself. My vague wish to "do theater" turned into a part in a play in three email messages. I'm thinking about other ways to make my resolutions stick by using external motivation. If I sign up for a 12 week exercise class, I will go. That's just how I am. Which is why I don't sign up!  Anyway, good luck to you all.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »

So another thing that was a vague resolution of mine was to do some theater. It's a part of my life that I dropped long ago and it's been scratching at the door to come back in. So I was asked about the parent/teacher play at my kids' school and I said, sure I'd like to participate and then I was cast and received a script and rehearsal starts Wednesday. I am a bit startled but also delighted.

The reason I am posting about this is that what worked for me on this issue was outside forces. I opened the door a crack and WHOOSH someone blew it open. I'm good about keeping commitments to other people, but not to myself. My vague wish to "do theater" turned into a part in a play in three email messages. I'm thinking about other ways to make my resolutions stick by using external motivation. If I sign up for a 12 week exercise class, I will go. That's just how I am. Which is why I don't sign up!  Anyway, good luck to you all.

the universe often does this.
you ask for something,
and WHOOSH it's there

clear intent; clear willingness
ignites magic
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

Pandora

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 11:26:10 AM »

So far I've been doing pretty good with my resolutions. I've been eating more fruits and veggies and going out jogging to get healthy, I've rekindled my friendship with an old friend I thought I'd lost, and I've been working on making my own chainmail, which is both creative and fun. I just hope I can keep all this up.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »

well so far my attempts at making more art have been going fine! also met some nice new people....
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »

So far so good.

I've decided that I'm only going to have one sweet thing a month. Like a cupcake or something. Already done that and the need to eat constantly seems to be dying within me. I feel kinda proud
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2012, 05:05:36 PM »

I'm going to stop letting my sister's overwhelming negativity get to me.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »

So far so good.

I've decided that I'm only going to have one sweet thing a month. Like a cupcake or something. Already done that and the need to eat constantly seems to be dying within me. I feel kinda proud

CONGRATS!

Do you really want to have that need to eat constantly,
come back?  Even for a few hours?
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

Tiervexx

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2012, 06:08:07 PM »

I don't really believe in new year's resolutions because I believe that if you are really serious about it you won't wait until the new year to start.

An example that is very familiar to gym rats is that every year after new years there is a flood of people on resolutions to get in shape... they stop after about a month.

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »

I don't really believe in new year's resolutions because I believe that if you are really serious about it you won't wait until the new year to start.

It's so true, I think it's just about a significant time marker. If you do stick it out you know exactly how long you've been doing it, since the start of the year.
But we rarely do stick it out. It's all about the spirit of change.

Paul

• ...has his baleful eye on you
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2012, 11:51:52 PM »

Mine is to be a classier gentleman and stop fucking swearing...
The Baleful Eye has spoken..................

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2012, 06:02:49 AM »

An example that is very familiar to gym rats is that every year after new years there is a flood of people on resolutions to get in shape... they stop after about a month.
I don't think it's about having an idea and then waiting for the new year to start, but rather getting to the new year, and making yourself think of something, and then, as Shane says, using the date as a marker.

Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

LoneWanderer

• My blog of truth, justice, and awesome
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2012, 07:57:14 AM »

Find love
Lose weight
Be myself
Learn to love myself
Read more
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012, 08:06:52 AM »

I joined a gym yesterday. Knowing that I'm paying for it will help to motivate me. Not to mention that my college reunion is coming up! :o
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »

I joined a gym yesterday. Knowing that I'm paying for it will help to motivate me. Not to mention that my college reunion is coming up! :o
Best of luck!  (Not that luck is required, of course...)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2012, 12:43:03 AM »

So I got super-stressed over the two weeks of exams I had, and ended up buying a pack of ten smokes to get through. Started rationalising it, and then Seamy got annoyed at me for it so I stopped and just decided that after the 10 were gone, I'd be done again. Had my last one today, so it's back on the wagon with me. I'm not being too hard on myself for it though xD Also, I went to roller derby today for the first time and it was great, so I think that'll be a combination of getting healthy and being more social. Feeling good.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10  All   Go Up