THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bizarre magazine interview with Amanda Palmer!  (Read 2353 times)

JasonWakefield

• JasonWakefield
  • One man's poetry's another's poison.
    • Jason Wakefield Music
Bizarre magazine interview with Amanda Palmer!
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:58:41 PM »

Hello my lovelies. I bought this month's edition of Bizarre magazine for a joke two nights ago. Me and my friends were reading all the especially gory bits (of which there are eleven gazillion) whilst rocking on a spring-elephant seat in a kids' playground until about 6am, reading it at the top of our voices for all the neighbourhood to hear, rather like the typical English hooligans that we aren't when sober. Good times.

But I was just skimming through the magazine today and coincidentally came across an Amanda Palmer interview! How did I miss it when I love her so dearly? Blasted alcofrol!

Anyway, I've looked through the forum and haven't seen it posted anywhere, so I thought I'd type it up for you. Here it is in its entirety:

THE DRESDEN DOLLS
We speak to luscious lead singer Amanda Palmer

NO VIRGINIA
Out now, Relapse

Amanda Palmer,
how do we love thee? Let us count the ways... Not only has Amanda released a new Dresden Dolls record, No Virginia, she's also got a solo record waiting in the wings (Who killed Amanda Palmer, out 15 September), as well as her cabaret act, Evelyn Evelyn, in which she plays a conjoined twin with Jason Webley. We spoke to Amanda about her fans, Evelyn Evelyn and childhood trauma...

You've written songs about rape, masturbation and death. Is there anything you won't write about?
Oh, of course there are things I won't write about. I won't write about anything that will really, truly hurt someone I know. That's been a tough call. Writing when angry and frustrated comes naturally to me for some reason, and my anger's often pointed at people. I'm wondering how my mum is going to react to some of the hyperbolic lines about my family on the new record. They were written when I was much younger. But still, they're great songs. What to do?

You're a fan of slogan T-shirts...
I only like them if they're heavily ironic. My favourite T-shirt slogan was one I saw a woman in Cambridge, Massachusetts, wearing years ago, when I was street performing. It said: 'Be Alert. The World Needs More Lerts'. I'm also fond of the postmodern 'Your Shirt Says Princess, But Your Face Says Troll'.

Who are Evelyn Evelyn?
Evelyn and Evelyn are conjoined twin sisters who I discovered with Jason Webley on MySpace. They'd posted a great cover song and we asked if we could produce a record of originals, and they said yes. They're incredibly talented but a little hard to work with - they're very moody and shy. They don't like playing live. They're finishing up their album this year - which has taken a long time since Jason and I are constantly touring and working on other projects. But it'll come out sooner or later. When it does, Jason and I will probably do a co-headlining tour and bring them with us.

Do you have a fave sideshow act?
I'm secretly in love with Captain Frodo, the Rubberman from La Clique at the Spiegeltent. I love his ability to entrance an audience and how he always throws confetti on himself.

You like to take performers with you on tour - who have you worked with recently?
I had the pleasure of touring with Meow Meow. She's a one-woman, postmodern kamikaze cabaret performer. She's a cross between stand-up, opera, cabaret and God knows what. Laurie Anderson meets Ute Lemper meets Lydia Lunch. I hope to tour with her in Europe.

You recently had surgery to remove nodes on your vocal chords. How did you cope with not talking?
I spent a lot of time alone, and when I went out I used my Blackberry to flash people texts. I learned that I talk too much. I hosted a small silent party last week for my birthday. It was wonderful. Everybody ended up acting very high and dancing and laughing and making out. Instant party.

What are the weirdest things your fans have done for you?
My fans are the most wonderful people on the fucking planet. They're insanely intelligent and artistic, and I find myself constantly impressed by the shit they make and do. I love them. A bunch of them recently staged a large Who Killed Amanda Palmer? funeral/crime scene photoshoot on Boston. I hear it was quite a party. And this fantastic Philadelphia couple once brought our entire crew and the opening acts a home-made, gourmet vegan dinner. They just showed up with it after the show. We were in heaven!

Which film character are you like?
I'm a little like Clementine in Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. I saw that film and it was jaw-droppingly similar to my first real love relationship.

You posted a story you wrote aged four on the Write Me Stories website. What was it about?
I have no idea. It scared the shit out of me when I read it. It was about being abducted and tied up by two strange men. I was a weird little kid. Maybe something happened I can't remember. We'll never know.

- Leonie Cooper.

Katherine May Williams

Re: Bizarre magazine interview with Amanda Palmer!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:04:58 PM »

*mwah!*

I kiss you through the internet.

music box

• http://icemyeyes.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 04:39:59 PM »

nice.

thanks for sharing.   O0

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:24:41 PM »

PS - Is this Amanda interview in the issue with Viktoria on the cover? (lovely TG amputee.. black and white striped latex outfit..)

Or the brand new new new issue (July?) with the Roller Girls cover (and picture of Zombie Boy.. fella with his insides tattooed on his outsides.. skull holes an' all..)

JasonWakefield

• JasonWakefield
  • One man's poetry's another's poison.
    • Jason Wakefield Music
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:46:29 PM »

It's in the July issue. I said it was this month's issue, but I meant to say the new issue. Silly me.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:57:29 PM »

I like these sort of interviews and not those "So what song and what cd and blah blah blah" Let's get to know Amanda Palmer. Not in a stalkerish way, but in a friendly way. Nomsay? It's probably just me, but whatever.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

SilviaHawke

• It's a long way down
    • My myspace
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 10:50:41 PM »

Neat-o! Thanks for posting the interview. I need to start reading Bizarre a bit more often, eh?  O0

Repressed childhood memories, who knew?

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 07:09:13 PM »

Neat-o! Thanks for posting the interview. I need to start reading Bizarre a bit more often, eh?  O0

sounds like a potential thread idea...hmmm...

Btw - thanks, Scarlett!

jdfu!

SilviaHawke

• It's a long way down
    • My myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »

sounds like a potential thread idea...hmmm...

Btw - thanks, Scarlett!

jdfu!
I like how you think.  :headbang:

~*johanna*~

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 12:35:05 AM »

'Your Shirt Says Princess, But Your Face Says Troll'

Oh god I love that. O0

Thanks for posting this. And........Amanda Palmer just mentioned ESOTSM. *orgasm*
"I am a fully rounded human being. With a degree from the University of Life, a diploma from the School of Hard Knocks and three gold stars from the Kindgarten of Getting the Shit Kicked Out of Me." -Edmund Blackadder

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 12:56:30 AM »

Awesome Daria avatar! ;)

Yay, this was a great read! Thank you for typing it up and posting it here.

By the way, the Be Alert t-shirt is funny, ha!
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP
Pages: [1]   Go Up