THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 18  All   Go Down

Author Topic: No, Virginia: May 20th  (Read 44246 times)

dj50tonhamster

• Shake your booty like Sheik Yerbouti
  • A kindler, gentler machine gun hand
Re: No, Virginia: May 20th
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2008, 11:30:24 AM »

Hm. I would have traded Pretty in Pink thirty times over for a cleaned up version of Night@theRoses.

It was released on CD last year as part of a free compilation. I'm pretty sure the comp's out-of-print but it's floating around out there. I might have a spare copy somewhere around the house....

This still looks to be a world better than YV.

Nein. I look forward to getting NV but YV is a coherent album. This is a scattershot collection of leftovers. Good leftovers, mind you, but leftovers. I have a suspicion that the flow is going to be really weird. C'est la vie.

and shit, Kaledrina has somehow managed to not make it again.  :-\

It's basically a solo song. Always has been, really. Besides, even if it did pop up, it would really mess with the flow of the album. It'd have to be a closer or something. *shrug* I do hope to hear a nice studio version someday, though. I hated it at first but it grew on me upon reflection.

"Mommy, will God send fire ants for me someday?"
"Only if you're good and you pray every day, then Jesus sends the bugs for ya. Good night."

ShutMeUp

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »

I hated it at first but it grew on me upon reflection.
Yeah i didn't like it too much at first either, but I really like it now.

I've only heard it with brian, but i would kill to here it solo!!

dj50tonhamster

• Shake your booty like Sheik Yerbouti
  • A kindler, gentler machine gun hand
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 11:41:02 AM »

I've only heard it with brian, but i would kill to here it solo!!

I've heard it at a couple of solo shows. Very lovely. It's an old (circa mid-90s?) song that I suspect has a lot of meaning to Amanda. Don't know why. I just get that feeling.
"Mommy, will God send fire ants for me someday?"
"Only if you're good and you pray every day, then Jesus sends the bugs for ya. Good night."

Emaline

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »

I wonder if they are including Lonesome Organist because it was released as a single in the UK and not in the US at all? Like as a balancer.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »

I agree with the flow thing; but I don't think it was ever a priority, because NV is a collection of songs; I don't think it's really intended to be an "album."

And while Kaledrina is a very nice song regardless, I still prefer it to have Brian. The ending caught be in a way similar to the first time I heard Slide. I don't get that was severely as when it's just Amanda.

I think that, as an album, I would agree with Doug that YV > NV. But on a song by song basis, I think NV is going to be better. To me, songs like Backstabber, Alcoholic Friends, Sing, Shores of California, Necessary Evil, Delilah, and Lonesome Organist (though I suppose that's no longer applicable) will never compare to Gardener, Boston, the Kill, Ultima Esperanza, Sheep Song, Mouse, and hopefully Dear Jenny, which I think has great lyrics.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

Musings

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 01:24:45 PM »

I agree that Kaledrina is better with Brian.  I also didn't like it the first few times -- similar to the way I felt about Slide, actually.

The reason I like Kaledrina and Slide is because they aren't easy to listen to; they aren't songs I can simply zone out to and get.  The buildup in Kaledrina is amazing, and you have to put the time in to get there and truly appreciate it.  It's a very dynamic, sort of novel of a song (as opposed to other songs, that are short stories).  Everytime I listen to it, I sort of get a different piece of it.  And I think that's the mark of a great song.  I think that's also why it has no easy fit in an album.

As for Yes, Virgina vs. No, Virginia:  Again, I think it's a similar thing where Yes, Virginia is definitely more accessible in terms of flow, ease of understanding and general fun.  No, Virginia is going to be harder to swallow, has little-to-no-flow, with some darker, longer, and more ballady songs like The Gardener, The Kill, and Boston, but that have great layering or "novelish" qualities to them.  I understand the choice not to put Kaledrina and Thirty Whacks because it would definitely make this the "Dark Album". 

In my humble, limited musical knowledge, opinion.

www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

G

• Crackers and Datura
    • Nation of Crackers Community Forum
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 01:39:40 PM »

Well, I suppose Glass Slipper and Thirty Whacks wouldn't have fit the mood, but I'm still a tad disappointed. Glad to see Ultima Esperanza though.

ShutMeUp

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2008, 01:43:02 PM »

Isn't anybody disappointed that we aren't gonna get a studio recording of Christopher Lydon??

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 01:47:13 PM »

Isn't anybody disappointed that we aren't gonna get a studio recording of Christopher Lydon??

I would be, had I gotten my hopes up. :\

I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

G

• Crackers and Datura
    • Nation of Crackers Community Forum
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 01:49:18 PM »

I've given up on Christopher Lydon. But I hear you, it would've been cool. I'm still hoping for a cleaned-up Night At The Roses and Glass Slipper on the next record though.

Holmes

• you're my
  • betch
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »

personally, I think the A is for Accident songs should be left on that record, they shouldn't need to be re-released.
they're out there, so leave them be!

theOrangeMan

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »

Personally ... I think it's cool that there are always a bunch of great songs that can only be heard in a live performance (or bootleg) ...

long live live entertainment ...
If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace -- John Lennon

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »

Dear Jenny, Ultima Esperanza, The Gardener, Boston, Night Recon = epic win
Lonesome Organist re-release = space would be better spent on something else
lack of Night @ the Roses, Glass Slipper, Kaledrina, Will = should be in there where Lonesome Organist is

In spite of that, I think I'll quite enjoy this record. At least as much as YV, and maybe even almost as much as the self-titled.

night @ roses, glass slipper, will = already released.....were not in the running.
we're totally happy with the studio recording of night at the roses and we know it's downloadable. glass slipper is out since it's on "a is for". will is a done deal, released as a studio song and finito. kaledrina is not one of brian's favs and will probably find life elsewhere.

as to
"....These songs aren't here because they "weren't good enough" for Yes, Virginia. They just didn't fit...."

way not true. i thought boston was one of the best recordings from the YV session. it didnt get on because of the flow of the record.

ShutMeUp

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 04:50:11 PM »

So what's that status with The Time has Come, Thirty Whacks, Battered Bride ect...

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »

as to
"....These songs aren't here because they "weren't good enough" for Yes, Virginia. They just didn't fit...."

way not true. i thought boston was one of the best recordings from the YV session. it didnt get on because of the flow of the record.

That's what I meant, sorry if it didn't come across as that.
amanda, 2005-04-15
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 18  All   Go Up