THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Autism: Unraveling the Mystery  (Read 12310 times)

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
  • The Guy With The Blue Avatar
    • The Star Chamber
Autism: Unraveling the Mystery
« on: March 28, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »

Hmm, CNN posted a page today that's chock full of stuff on autism, mostly Asperger's, it seems. Very interesting...

Autism: Unraveling the Mystery

I find this story to be of particular interest...

Asperger's: My life as an Earthbound alien
What is a rebel? A man who says no. - Albert Camus

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
Re: Autism: Unraveling the Mystery
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 06:53:13 PM »

Time Magazine recommended Autism: The Musical. I missed it because I wasn't sure I had HBO or not (because TV is obviously bad for you and that's why I rarely use the flat screen TV my parental units bought).

I dislike how I've lost two semesters worth of useful electives because of my "problem" (that is, I had to go to SDI because I have Aspergers because my 3rd grade teacher had the genius idea of having me diagnosed, and this state was awful gitty about requirements for "special" children. And then I was able to get my electives back, but all the classes were filled up  :violent5:).

I count being diagnosed with Asperger's as being another symptom of America being too diagnosis/medication happy. Sooner or later I make friends XP
Plus being told I have bad motor skills is terrible for my self-esteem (they put me in adaptive PE last year too, thank goodness for moving house, eh?)
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:42:59 PM »

Have anyone here seen that movie named "Mozart and the Whale" it is a pretty good movie about a couple that fall in love but both of them have asperger.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »

I dislike how I've lost two semesters worth of useful electives because of my "problem" (that is, I had to go to SDI because I have Aspergers because my 3rd grade teacher had the genius idea of having me diagnosed, and this state was awful gitty about requirements for "special" children. And then I was able to get my electives back, but all the classes were filled up  :violent5:).

I count being diagnosed with Asperger's as being another symptom of America being too diagnosis/medication happy. Sooner or later I make friends XP
Plus being told I have bad motor skills is terrible for my self-esteem (they put me in adaptive PE last year too, thank goodness for moving house, eh?)

How seriously does this affect your social life and interactions? How differently do you think someone with Aspergers should be treated in a social situation? Or at all differently?
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

tonic pancake.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »

autism: the musical is spectacular.  they screened it at the coolidge corner theater last semester - we got bonus points in my speech class if we went and saw it. 
autism fascinates me, and is one of the many (many, many) fields i'm considering.

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »

How seriously does this affect your social life and interactions? How differently do you think someone with Aspergers should be treated in a social situation? Or at all differently?

I think my social life is pretty normal because I'm a borderline case. I don't have trouble engaging conversations or anything like that, although some of the more "typical" cases would be different.
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
  • The Guy With The Blue Avatar
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 01:16:11 AM »

I think my social life is pretty normal because I'm a borderline case. I don't have trouble engaging conversations or anything like that, although some of the more "typical" cases would be different.

Has small talk ever bothered you, or have you had a tendency to just go for the deep stuff when conversing?
What is a rebel? A man who says no. - Albert Camus

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 01:39:53 PM »

Well, shit. I do that.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 11:36:36 PM »

See Wyatt, if they'd invented all this shit when you and I were in grade school...
-you'd have been a much less interesting, yet more medicated person, and
-I'd probably be a CEO of a large corporation, with a nice wife, a couple of kids ready to start college,
and a house in the 'burbs.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 01:32:41 AM »

Yeah... no shit. I'm glad they left me to medicate myself on my own terms.

[/joke]

Seriously though. The headmaster of Potomac Country Day School "diagnosed" me as being autistic when I was seven. He collected owls, kept three great danes, wore a beard, and had no psychology, psychiatric or medical credentials. It seems I stared out the window a lot in class. Well... there were birds. I also spent a lot of time wondering about things. The universe. What is "nothing"?

Yeah, they'd have medicated me in this age. Crazy shit.

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »

Have you read the book Magical Thinking by Augusten Bourroughs yet? His brother has Asperger's, and is a textbook case. Augusten talks about him in a couple chapters, and makes an observation that I find really keen. Asperger's is a disease that people LOVE because the person "afflicted" (I'm loathe to use that word, but I'm sort of half-asleep...) generally turns out to be a genius. Very very talented in one area. People get very proud when their children are diagnosed, so most of them tend to push towards that diagnosis. The parents, unfortunately, play a very large role in the diagnosis of their children because some of the kids can't or won't describe how they feel, causing the whole diagnosis-happy thing. My cousin has Asperger's as well, and he is an extremely talented artist for his age. The way he draws is fascinating, and I'm wondering if you do the same thing. If he's drawing a horse, he'll draw first the hooves, then the ears, then the tail, then the legs, then the eyes, then the body, then the head. Everything is unconnected until the last moment, and everything is perfectly proportioned. I draw in a similar fashion, but not as disconnected. He was unable to learn english when he was a kid, so he and his family learned sign language instead. I only remember a few words from that, like "snow," and "tiger." But I didn't speak until late as well. I also have a difficult time making eye contact and expressing emotions, and I feel very very disconnected from the world.

Autism is really, really, really interesting to me. I wrote a couple papers on it in my psych classes. Asperger's is interesting as well, but mostly because I identify with it. I don't really think that I have it, I just have Med School Syndrome (you know, where you read a description of an affliction and go "omg i have that!").
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 11:32:17 AM »

Have you read the book Magical Thinking by Augusten Bourroughs yet?

ASS BURGER.

My cousin worked in a home for autistic children once and now she's a school teacher. The stories were amazing and I liked them and she sometimes joked that I was autistic. Maybe I am...or have Asperger's Syndrome. I dunno.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 11:38:37 AM »

ASS BURGER.

My cousin worked in a home for autistic children once and now she's a school teacher. The stories were amazing and I liked them and she sometimes joked that I was autistic. Maybe I am...or have Asperger's Syndrome. I dunno.

HEHEHE yeah. That chapter was awesome.  :D
When we went over it in Abnormal Psych, the teacher (normally a very serious man) said "Yes, I really did say Ass Burger."
You're probably not. Perhaps you and I have a new form of AssBurger, one that is slightly less severe. This way, we can get drugs and therapy and stuff too!!!!  :D
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »

ASS BURGER.

HEHEHE yeah. That chapter was awesome.  :D
When we went over it in Abnormal Psych, the teacher (normally a very serious man) said "Yes, I really did say Ass Burger."
You're probably not. Perhaps you and I have a new form of AssBurger, one that is slightly less severe. This way, we can get drugs and therapy and stuff too!!!!  :D

BRAP! Represent the new form of AssBurger.

I totally didn't know it was pronounced that way. I always said (ass-pur-jer). I thought the G was soft.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Mali

• I STAB YOU
  • evilthoughtsevilthoughts
    • myspacorz
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »

Have anyone here seen that movie named "Mozart and the Whale" it is a pretty good movie about a couple that fall in love but both of them have asperger.

I love that movie.

I'm an Aspergers child. I'm getting a lot better, but I'm still not very good in social situations. I speak what's on my mind, without much of a censorship going on, and it makes people uncomfortable..nevermind that I can't pick up the normal body language thing where you know they mean one thing when they say another thing..so I'm often told I'm gullible. Arg. But I've developed ways of analyzing people as if they were objects to help me know when I'm supposed to catch something. I'm fairly good at starting conversations, especially if we have common interests, I can go on and on about things I like.

When I was a kid though, I was really weird. I'm happy I've found bits of myself lying around and got to be human a bit.

Having Aspergers, for me, is like being in a bath, with your vision all wiggly from the water, and muffled sounds coming from the outside world, but not being able to quite get the whole picture.

end blab
I just need a friend.
Mali-licious, if I was a boy I would want to be your boyfriend!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up