THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Autism: Unraveling the Mystery  (Read 12309 times)

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
Re: Autism: Unraveling the Mystery
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 09:05:21 PM »

I have a few doctors and social workers in my family, many who think I should get "tested" for autism. What do they do anyway? Ask questions?
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
  • The Guy With The Blue Avatar
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 09:37:53 PM »

I have a few doctors and social workers in my family, many who think I should get "tested" for autism. What do they do anyway? Ask questions?

Well, questions are a part of it, but one is also given a series of short tests. You should see if you can get an unofficial diagnosis first before deciding on whether or not you want it to become official. I'm not sure how Canada is regarding benefits, but here in the US, depending on your current economic status, one may be eligible to receive SSI, SSD, Medicaid, and/or other benefits.
What is a rebel? A man who says no. - Albert Camus

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2008, 08:40:34 PM »

Well, questions are a part of it, but one is also given a series of short tests. You should see if you can get an unofficial diagnosis first before deciding on whether or not you want it to become official. I'm not sure how Canada is regarding benefits, but here in the US, depending on your current economic status, one may be eligible to receive SSI, SSD, Medicaid, and/or other benefits.

True, we get many benefits. We also get medicated marijuana for depression.
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 02:29:01 PM »

Marijuana for depression? I thought that it was only for cancer patients and those with terminal diseases.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 07:13:20 PM »

Marijuana for depression? I thought that it was only for cancer patients and those with terminal diseases.

Oh yes, MJ for depression. People with cancer! Ha! You've got to be kidding me, some patients get heroin in small doses of course. Marijuana, that only gets you numb, it doesn't take any pain away. My uncle was a cancer patient, he was high off morphine during his last few weeks.
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 11:08:44 AM »

Seean, it's not intended to take away pain, it's intended to take away some of the side effects of radiation treatment (eg: nausea).

And, actually, I find it takes away pain. I need serious pain meds when I get cramps (read: oxycontin), and if I were to smoke a bowl, I'd just need advil. It'd be a pretty sweet deal if I was a stoner.  ;D

(But for depression? In all my life, all the people I've known with depression or BP or any sort of chemical imbalance that smoked pot were worse off than before. You should meet my sister, it f*cked her life up... Not because it's weed, but because she's self-medicating...)
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2008, 12:11:31 PM »

Seean, it's not intended to take away pain, it's intended to take away some of the side effects of radiation treatment (eg: nausea).

I guess it would depend on who's using it. It makes some people numb and some people's emotions and pains much more amplified. I remember how I kept hitting my new pierced ear and didn't even realize it until after everything died down I could feel the pain throbbing in my lobe.
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

shibby

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »

There's a lot of new war veterans getting perscription weed now, too. Mostly for PTSD.

As for autism, there has been a lot of recent progress, but it's going to take years for it to reach most people. My old high school used to treat autistic kids and retarded kids the same way, though there are specific nuances to each disorder that need to be addressed on a person-to-person basis. All of the mentally handicapped kids are uaully grouped together, and kind of pushed through the curriculum, whether they retain the information legally required or not. Which is easy for everyone, but it means they're royally screwed later on.

The truth is, people don't really know what to 'do' with these people, and either they get pushed too hard or not at all, both of with impede development. The worst is when people look at a diagnosis, and just assume that a person is incapable of anything without someone to hold their hand. Most of the symptoms of aspergers are experienced by everyone, anyway. The inability to communicate exactly what one feels, or to understand everything that is occuring, a disconnection from other people, those are universal problems in the developed world. Asbergers is just a magnification of those problems, for the most part.

Ps- i don't know if these have been mentioned before, but 'The Curions Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' is an excellent read regarding this subject. So is 'The Stranger'. I know it wasn't written specifically about autisum/aspergers, but it is my own personal conspiracy theory that Merusault is autistic. Whether he is or not, he exhibits many of the symptoms, in a way that someone normal would. Which is chilling, if you know the story.

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2008, 01:29:01 AM »

They should give weed for severe migraines.
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

Shawn

• Optimistic Pessimist
    • The Star Chamber
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 05:02:26 AM »

Ps- i don't know if these have been mentioned before, but 'The Curions Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' is an excellent read regarding this subject. So is 'The Stranger'. I know it wasn't written specifically about autisum/aspergers, but it is my own personal conspiracy theory that Merusault is autistic. Whether he is or not, he exhibits many of the symptoms, in a way that someone normal would. Which is chilling, if you know the story.

It's the book on which The Cure's Killing an Arab is based. I actually haven't read it as of yet, but I do own a copy.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 08:20:44 PM »

(But for depression? In all my life, all the people I've known with depression or BP or any sort of chemical imbalance that smoked pot were worse off than before.

That's pretty much what I've seen too. I have seen and experienced stress reduction, with marijuana, but it would only be practical for sleep over stress therapy because of its impact on waking functionality. Actually, it can be a rather effective sleep aid in many individuals. I don't know how it works with migraines, but weed will make a sinus headache worse.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2008, 04:26:53 PM »

There are different ways to figure out that someone has autism. For me, my mother heard someone talking about it (I have aspgergers) and she sad this sounded like me. We met with a few doctors and they confirmed everything. Honestly though, since its still new, people have ah ard time figureing it out.
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

Kovacs

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »

(But for depression? In all my life, all the people I've known with depression or BP or any sort of chemical imbalance that smoked pot were worse off than before.

That's pretty much what I've seen too. I have seen and experienced stress reduction, with marijuana, but it would only be practical for sleep over stress therapy because of its impact on waking functionality. Actually, it can be a rather effective sleep aid in many individuals. I don't know how it works with migraines, but weed will make a sinus headache worse.

I can speak to the sleeping aid. I actually use it for that fairly consistantly.

Stress reduction? Only with minor stress. Major stress, it gets ten times worse...at least for anyone with a tendancy towards anxiety.

In terms of pain reduction, I found it works best for dull, overall body pains. I feel better if I smoke while sick, or if I'm sore from some sort of physical activity. Something specific and sharp won't get abated, it'll probably seem worse. My roomate smoked before getting a tattoo once...just a horrible, horrible idea in terms of his ability to manage and deal with his pain.

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up