THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies that you love AND would urge others to see?  (Read 139077 times)

Katherine May Williams

Re: Movies that you love AND would urge others to see?
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »

ANYTHING BY TIM BURTON!!!

I stumbled upon an early Tim Burton TV thing on YouTube the other day (it wasn't tagged or titled as a Tim Burton thing.. but when his name came up on the beginning credits I googled it and, yep, same Tim Burton! Shelley Duvall (the producer of the 'Faerie Tale Theatre' series) was an early champion of his work. The episode he directed is from 1986.)

'Faerie Tale Theatre: Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp'
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOL6ZRvdam0
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqSm7SN4Jgg
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQe4sS2hjtY
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rurgxvru7DU
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84uky7HEGyk

(Darth Vader as the Genie, Mr Spock as the Evil Magician..)

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »

ANYTHING BY TIM BURTON!!!

I stumbled upon an early Tim Burton TV thing on YouTube the other day (it wasn't tagged or titled as a Tim Burton thing.. but when his name came up on the beginning credits I googled it and, yep, same Tim Burton! Shelley Duvall (the producer of the 'Faerie Tale Theatre' series) was an early champion of his work. The episode he directed is from 1986.)

'Faerie Tale Theatre: Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp'
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOL6ZRvdam0
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqSm7SN4Jgg
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQe4sS2hjtY
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rurgxvru7DU
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84uky7HEGyk

(Darth Vader as the Genie, Mr Spock as the Evil Magician..)

OMG I LOVE YOU!!! I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS FOREVER!!!!! OMG LOVE YOU LOVE YOU LOVE YOU!!!!

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2008, 01:05:10 PM »

"Elizabeth"

I could agree with this, but not if one were looking for historical facts. But the sequel was awkward, to say the least. I was not impressed.

Masterpiece Theatre does some pretty good stuff. Just recently was a flick called My Boy Jack about Rudyard Kipling's son. Also, their version of Pride and Prejudice is very good.

Also, anything that put out my the Criterion Collection is pretty much guaranteed to be worthwhile.

I'll add Snatch, Metropolis, Sunrise, Nosferatu [the original and the remake], The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart [because it's too cute to pass up], nearly any gangster flick with Bogart or James Cagney in it, Evolution Singin' in the Rain, Swing Kids, Young Frankenstein, Heavyweights, Rear Window, A Beautiful Mind, Gone With the Wind, Cool Hand Luke, and I'll think of more to add later. My list is never-ending.

Speaking of which, add The Never-Ending Story and Willow.
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

JuneGloom

• For the record? No comment.
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2008, 01:20:38 PM »

Oh my,
     Last Friday I went to library and I rented the new Sense and Senseablity and it was really amazing. It's a masterpiece Theater movie and it was wonderful. It was around 3 hours and it was good. "So Juicy!" If you like those kind of movies I would highly suggest it.

My all time favorite movie would have to be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! Everyone should see that movie!

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »

The version with Kate Winslet and Hugh Grant is very good, too. The book is best, though!
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »

Anybody mention Kinky Boots, yet? I found it at Blockbuster two days ago, and I used my superspecialrewardscoupon to get it for FREE. I totally would have paid $20 just to rent it, though. FREAKIN' AWESOME.

(My little sister was like, "why does everybody look funny? She's got a weird nose!!" And then was very confused when Lola came into the story. "What kind of movie is this?" "Jen. Lola is a cross dresser." "Ohh, ok." IDK, little sis is very weird.)
((I might make boyfriend and his mother watch it tonight...  >:D))
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2008, 03:49:02 PM »

Oh my,
     Last Friday I went to library and I rented the new Sense and Senseablity and it was really amazing. It's a masterpiece Theater movie and it was wonderful. It was around 3 hours and it was good. "So Juicy!" If you like those kind of movies I would highly suggest it.

My all time favorite movie would have to be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! Everyone should see that movie!

agreed!! eternal sunshine is AMAZING!!

i also love all the hannibal movies

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2008, 05:34:36 PM »

Anybody mention Kinky Boots, yet? I found it at Blockbuster two days ago, and I used my superspecialrewardscoupon to get it for FREE. I totally would have paid $20 just to rent it, though. FREAKIN' AWESOME.

(My little sister was like, "why does everybody look funny? She's got a weird nose!!" And then was very confused when Lola came into the story. "What kind of movie is this?" "Jen. Lola is a cross dresser." "Ohh, ok." IDK, little sis is very weird.)
((I might make boyfriend and his mother watch it tonight...  >:D))
Lynne and I didn't make you watch this?  Damn, I'm sorry... I don't know what excuse we might have.

I just saw "The Prestige"...  It was pretty good, and I'm quite pleased with myself for recognizing [someone]
through all the makeup and stuff, even though I didn't realized this performer was even in the movie.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »

I just saw "The Prestige"...  It was pretty good, and I'm quite pleased with myself for recognizing [someone]
through all the makeup and stuff, even though I didn't realized this performer was even in the movie.

The eyes gave it away!

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2008, 06:29:36 PM »

The eyes gave it away!
Exactly, even from a distance....

Also, in re: Kinky Boots - Pretty much anything with Chiwetel Ejiofor, well everything I've seen.  It seems
[checking IMDB] he's been in a lot more films than I realized...  The man has an amazing range.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2008, 12:54:35 AM »

I don't really watch a lot of movies. When I do, I'm usually watching something on one of the cable movie channels, drunk, and questioning the entire movie because I'm too drunk to grasp what's going on. That's not to say, however, that I don't enjoy watching them.

I'd have to say:

The Red Violin
Running with Scissors
Donnie Darko
The Fifth Element
Ken Park
Hitchhiker's Guide
Fellini-Satyricon
and probably a bunch more that I'm forgetting.

Still, I'd have to watch them again myself to really get them, especially satyricon. I think I just didn't understand it because It's a massive mindfuck of a movie, rather than not understanding it because I was drunk.
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

KSzczypinski

• K.
    • Katie Makes Art
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »

La Vie en Rose   (for sure)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Anything Quentin Tarantino has thought about or looked at (ie: Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Deathproof)
Putney Swope   (if you're feeling feisty and can find a copy of it)
To Wong Foo, Thank You for Everything  (Patrick Swayze, John Leguizamo, and Wesley Snipes in drag! You don't need any other reason!)
Ed Wood   (Underappreciated)
A League of Their Own   (Soooooo underappreciated.)
Drop Dead Gorgeous (Suprisingly good)

I could go on.

I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion. -Kerouac

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »

I saw Katyn yesterday, by Polish director Andrzej Wajda. It was wonderful. Go see it.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »

TI-I-I-I-I-I-I-IME BA-A-A-A-ANDI-I-I-I-I-I-ITS!!!!!!! Terry Gilliam can do no wrong.

malcontent

• Taste the wealth of hate in me
    • Myspace
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2008, 11:24:27 AM »

Ken Park

My friend showed me some site that has links to movies with asian subtitles. I am tempted to just see this movie that way then buy it if I love it.

A League of Their Own   (Soooooo underappreciated.)

I fucking love that movie. I've been meaning to buy it for fucking years. I love Tom Hanks.

Anyone seen He Was A Quiet Man and can explain to me what the fuck happened?!

"maybe if my heart stops beating it won't hurt this much..."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 79   Go Up