THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies that you love AND would urge others to see?  (Read 138820 times)

papercuts

Movies that you love AND would urge others to see?
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:26:47 AM »

(inspired by the book thread. since I love movies, I thought "why not?")

Please say something about each movie if you could, just to give others some idea of what it's like/which part of the movie stand out to you/what you like about it.

-The Pillow Book
directed by peter greenaway, who is also a painter. very very beautifully done film. somewhat experimental, but not very so (don't worry!).
art. sensuality. etc. Not sure what it would be like on a tv screen, but I'd recommend seeing it on a big screen if you can (this is my opinion for all movies, actually, but the style of this particular movie make it even more so...it can be very busy so I can't fathom seeing all that on a small screen)

-Fargo
quietly funny. I am fond of noir-type compositions so I can't help but like this.

-The Rocky Horror Picture Show
...need I say more?

these are off the top of my head. will add more if I think of any or if others comes up.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
Re: Movies that you love AND would urge others to see?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »

Brick such an amazing movie. Very smart.
Running With Scissors people have some real problems. You're not the only one.
Shortbus minus the sex scenes (which are beautifully done by the way) this movie is simply moving and a tearjerker.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:49:26 AM »

I HATE this movie with a passion. Whoever made it, in my opinion, botched it up so badly. The book is fantastic. Now everytime I mention how much I liked the book, no one believes me. You are-seriously- the only person I know (irl or online) that said they like this movie. I don't even know anyone who has said that they have no opinion or don't care. I guess it's a love/hate sort of thing.

Now for MY recommendations.

Seven Year Itch (which is actually on Hulu.com). I love Marilyn Monroe, and she's just over-the-top in this movie. I also like the main character, who is soo funny.
Fight Club (people call me Tyler Durden. It's weird, actually.). I was expecting this movie to be just about fighting. Instead, it crept into my skull and labotomized me with lye.
Silence of the Lambs (OMG so much love to Dr. Lector). So many screwed up people, so little time. I love the quid pro quo thing so much it makes me squee.
Red Dragon. Seriously. Great story, handsome naked man.
(Note how I'm not saying Hannibal Rising or Hannibal.)
Spirited Away. OMG. Gorgeous.
Howl's Moving Castle. Best love story I've seen in a long time.
Mononoke Hime. So much love right now. It's fantastic.
Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind. Has pantyshots. I mean, a really great point. (No really, it has both.)
Ok, just all of Miyazaki's stuff. He's a genius. Some of his movies (Grave of the Fireflies? Is that what that was called?) are really sad, but they are so well written and moving that it's worth the cry.
The Dark Crystal. For no reason except that muppets are awesome and Jen is a girl's name.
The Last Unicorn. THE TREE HAS BOOBS. Also, it's awesome.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

SomewhatDamaged

• The greatest thing to have come out of East London since the plague
  • The devils of truth steal the souls of the free
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »

OLDBOY Just awesome

BETTY BLUE The greatest movie ever made

BATTLE ROYALE Again awesome
Im an alltogether different being, I got black wings of fire & eyes of true seeing

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »

I HATE this movie with a passion. Whoever made it, in my opinion, botched it up so badly. The book is fantastic. Now everytime I mention how much I liked the book, no one believes me. You are-seriously- the only person I know (irl or online) that said they like this movie. I don't even know anyone who has said that they have no opinion or don't care. I guess it's a love/hate sort of thing.

I liked the book better because it had more stories, but I thought the movie was powerful and I didn't know Augusten appeared in the movie at the end! FEckk. I was also looking at pictures of Augusten when he was a kid, he was beautiful! Like drop dead gorgeous beautiful, model-esque and the guy that played him in the movie captured him so well. And because the guy who plays Augusten in the movie (I keep forgetting his name but he was in this movie I liked as a kid) reminds me of someone so badly.

I remember the last unicorn, holy crap!! THat tree had boobs yo!
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

VipersGratitude

• The "fuck you" me
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:31:08 PM »

Any of the British remember that Simon Pegg quote from Spaced - "[The Rocky Horror Picture Show,] I hate it. It's boil-in-the-bag perversion for sexually repressed accountants and first-year drama students with too many posters of Betty Blue, The Blues Brothers, Big Blue and Blue Velvet on their blue bloody walls."?

Ok, just all of Miyazaki's stuff
Agreed

OLDBOY Just awesome
Agreed

And I'll raise you:

Rules of Attraction - "I need to get some more pot. I'm running out. Then I need to get laid. Where the fuck was Lauren tonight? That Lara girl was kind of hot. I could bang her and feel good about it. But I'd rather have Lauren. I wonder why? It would just ruin my illusion of her purity. Whoa, is that really what I want? I need to get laid. Then I need to get more pot."

21 Grams - An under-rated, under-viewed modern classic
var meaningOfLife:int = 13.37*Math.PI;

if( meaningOfLife != 42 ) LifeManager.dispatchEvent(new LifeEvent(LifeEvent.END));

dangerpants

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 12:41:37 PM »

I liked the book better because it had more stories, but I thought the movie was powerful and I didn't know Augusten appeared in the movie at the end! FEckk. I was also looking at pictures of Augusten when he was a kid, he was beautiful! Like drop dead gorgeous beautiful, model-esque and the guy that played him in the movie captured him so well. And because the guy who plays Augusten in the movie (I keep forgetting his name but he was in this movie I liked as a kid) reminds me of someone so badly.

My mom's dentist met Augusten. I'm not sure how or why, but he did. And my mom loves to tell me this, constantly. "Sarah, did I ever tell you about the time that..." "Yes, mom. Yesterday, in fact." "Oh, ok. Isn't that awesome?"
Actually, I still think he's quite attractive. If I were a gay man, I would hit that. And yeah, as a kid... It's easy to see why Tang wanted him for a commercial.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »

My mom's dentist met Augusten. I'm not sure how or why, but he did. And my mom loves to tell me this, constantly. "Sarah, did I ever tell you about the time that..." "Yes, mom. Yesterday, in fact." "Oh, ok. Isn't that awesome?"
Actually, I still think he's quite attractive. If I were a gay man, I would hit that. And yeah, as a kid... It's easy to see why Tang wanted him for a commercial.

Oh my Jesus, are you kidding me?! The Man Is Amazingly Sexy! But now he's with Dennis, his lover of many years. But he fucked up the Tang commerical.

Ps. toejam, have you read Girl, Interrupted? I felt odd because I was a 12-year-old boy reading a book about a women in angst. I dunno it was strange but whatevz.
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

dangerpants

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »

Oh my Jesus, are you kidding me?! The Man Is Amazingly Sexy! But now he's with Dennis, his lover of many years. But he fucked up the Tang commerical.

Poor kid.

I like Dennis. Never met the guy, but if he can put up with/love Augusten for who he is and what he's been through, that man is a saint.

Strict Nine

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 02:06:06 PM »

Nobody Knows--Love every minute of this movie. Think of it as a requiem to small over-looked things. I will warn you it is a sad movie.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 03:16:58 PM »

Poor kid.

I like Dennis. Never met the guy, but if he can put up with/love Augusten for who he is and what he's been through, that man is a saint.
I know, it's beautiful.
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Golly Mina!

• Coughs and sneezes Spread diseases
  • 死んだ滞在だけ17永久に
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 03:46:07 PM »

the 25th hour
american history x
edward norton is simply amazing
suck my sunrise, bitchbrain.

Happiness is the longing for repetition.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »

Brick such an amazing movie. Very smart.

Totally loved that movie, i would say... Home Alone 1, Back to the Future and Bickfor Schmeckler´s cool ideas. anyone seen this movie?

Seb

• Hands Up! Guns Out! Represent That World Town!
    • This is to my writerscafe profile! Which has all my writing! ^.^
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:04:41 PM »

girl, interrupted-

its definitely a must see. i love it, and i can relate to it. great acting, great story, true story..its good. it's pretty much about a girl who gets sent to a mental hospital in the late 1960's.

I've been meaning to see that
Shortbus minus the sex scenes (which are beautifully done by the way) this movie is simply moving and a tearjerker.

I heard this one was amazing!

Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto Del Fauno)
I couldn't possibly put it into words!
peace.

SisterDesire

• I am the world's worst accident.............
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 12:26:02 AM »

Bang, Bang, You're Dead.... AMAZING!!!!
"I want to do more than survive; I want to rub it in your face."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 79   Go Up