THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking good, Shadowbox!  (Read 21488 times)

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
Re: Looking good, Shadowbox!
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2012, 12:29:37 AM »

^Voting could turn into a popularity contest, I've seen it happen on other boards and we've had enough drama lately. Keeping us in the loop and allowing us to have a say about the running of the board could be a less drama filled way to go.

If there was to be a vote then a private poll via PM's could work too.  :-\
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »

The president of the universities law society always turns out to be the prettiest girl that drinks the most, so I get the whole popularity contest thing.

Well it's good to set goals,  ;D

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »

indeed we need a responsible person who regularly uses the forum in Europe or Britain to take a gun to them there spam-bots.......oh not sure if there is actually a responsible shadowboxer this side of the atlantic though...I sure as hell am not one!

dude, they made me a mod - you seriously think there are any qualifications necessary?

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »

indeed we need a responsible person who regularly uses the forum in Europe or Britain to take a gun to them there spam-bots.......oh not sure if there is actually a responsible shadowboxer this side of the atlantic though...I sure as hell am not one!
oh good point! (don't you lot be getting any funny ideas though)

dude, they made me a mod - you seriously think there are any qualifications necessary?
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2012, 11:32:23 AM »

I, too, was a moderator but bowed out at my own request.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »

Is it fair to say, awareness and information on change, or potential change, is key and not NECESSARILY direct input and control of the change(s)?

In my curiosity (I have a bachelors in a social science after all), I wonder exactly what the root of this is - I think it's that you want to feel even deeper as part of this community/forum and that perhaps some things happened here that you didn't/don't like and you want to prevent more things happening that you don't like so you want to have say and control and some sort of VOICE, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you need to be, or even want to be, directly responsible for decisions that are to be made but you do want to be part of the process in a way that's not going to leave you feeling left in the dark. (is this assumption/observation even fairly accurate?)

Mod hat back on - at the end of the day there are numerous factors, players, reasons, etc that dictate how and why things are done the way they are and in a perfect world everyone would be happy with the out come, but since that's impossible, the goal really is to make the best outcome possible with the least amount of conflict.

So, hypothetically, say we were to add another moderator - particularly one in the time zones Sylvia suggested (Oz or UK), would you like to know a head of time that this is the plan before a moderator is appointed? and if a new mod was appointed, would you be pissed if you didn't find out until after the fact, even though the door would be open for you to provide feedback and input? Would you prefer that new mods are tested with a trial period - say a few weeks of modding, and then privately ask for input from everyone to make sure things are jelling?

I think I understand what you guys are saying between the lines - because some of it, as a regular ol' poster, I've seen and felt too - you don't want things to change suddenly that affect the atmosphere of this forum without having some sort of position to make your voice heard and influential, because at least then you may have some sort of control, or chance to affect how things are done?
Devil's advocate is that this isn't a democracy, blah blah blah, but I think I've got a good understanding and idea of how to move forward in a recommendation/course of action on this. Please continue this discussion and reply to anything I've written here and please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

^Voting could turn into a popularity contest, I've seen it happen on other boards and we've had enough drama lately. Keeping us in the loop and allowing us to have a say about the running of the board could be a less drama filled way to go.

If there was to be a vote then a private poll via PM's could work too.  :-\

Yes, this actually. Just so we are aware who is in the running for power positions and whether we have opinions on that etc.

The president of the universities law society always turns out to be the prettiest girl that drinks the most, so I get the whole popularity contest thing.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »

Just being kept up to date with decisions about/impacting the board would be awesome.

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »

This place worked great for years with just very little nudging by Sean and Brittany and Bill...remember dear old Bill? 

I don't need to be involved in any decision regarding the appointment of any new Mod/Admin.  I only ask that they not be oppressive, overbearing or creepy.

A trial period is not really crucial is it?  Can't the infinite power be revoked at any time should it go to the head of yet another well meaning coot?

All I want are the good old times...a spoon full of sugar with my medicine...My salad days, When I was green in judgment: cold in blood...

...and less spam.
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »

well that's me out!
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2012, 05:21:10 PM »

I think I understand what you guys are saying between the lines - because some of it, as a regular ol' poster, I've seen and felt too - you don't want things to change suddenly that affect the atmosphere of this forum without having some sort of position to make your voice heard and influential, because at least then you may have some sort of control, or chance to affect how things are done?
Devil's advocate is that this isn't a democracy, blah blah blah, but I think I've got a good understanding and idea of how to move forward in a recommendation/course of action on this. Please continue this discussion and reply to anything I've written here and please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.
The board ran just fine, for a long time, with very little intervention. Then we had a spam invasion. Maybe we should stop change the title from "Global Moderator" to "Spambuster". We don't need moderators in the traditional sense, we just need someone to blast spambots into hell.

Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »

which is the other issue that len alluded to. Every time a moderator sets up a permaban on a spam account, the board gets unstable. Hayley also stated that this issue is the one that cannot be band-aided at present.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

any progress on the additional mod front?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]  All   Go Up