THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 9  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking good, Shadowbox!  (Read 21479 times)

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
Re: Looking good, Shadowbox!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 06:32:28 AM »

Cee

I said

For example,

I picked that one, because it was something that fans anywhere, could do to help now.
With Brian not performing until May, and Amanda parked in Melbourne for a few months,
and the d.dolls back on haitus ...

So buying the merch/music/tickets, street teaming (which quite a few people have been giving up their time to do lately here in Oz) and doing all we can to support AFP, Brian and the Dolls is all for naught if we don't vote in an online poll?

What selfish bastards we all are.

Froggie:

Thanks for providing more examples. 
And I'm happy for all that anyone does to help Brian and Amanda.

Whining and letting the frustration out,
can help some people deal with stuff.

[FLAME ON]
But N.U.'s has gone beyond getting repetitive and pointless.
(So let me whine about my frustration about hearing his
ENDLESS POINTLESS BORING DRONING about this.)
[/FLAME OFF]

I am deeply sadden that most of the complainers
can't even begin to put themselves into Team Amanda's
shoes, and understand AT ALL the realities of running
a rock band.  How hard it is.

And particularly, how hard it is for both Sean and Hayley
to not have done more sooner about the spam.

They both put a lot of time into keeping this forum going.
And yet in doing that, they have to come here and see
people complaining that the forum doesn't meet the complainer's
idea of forum perfection.  And they both want to provide the best experience
they can for fans her and elsewhere.

Note that they are both much younger than Amanda.
That is, they are in the age range of most fans, and most sboxers.

So, how would you youngin's feel if this kind of hateful scorn
were shoveled your way, when you were doing the best you can
for your band and their fans?

I'm further sadden that people can't begin to put themselves in Team Amanda shoes,
and believe that there isn't an easy fix to the spam on this forum.

That substantial time and careful work has to be put in,
to fix it.

[FLAME ON]
So much easier for some of you, to whine and demand and try to
exTort (to use N.U.'s word for his sucky recent whine).
[/FLAME OFF]

Awaiting the next whine.
Maybe it will have a tiny bit of redeeming social value.
At least a hint of creativity or humor.

Time to go back to deleting spam,
and doing other useful stuff inside and outside
the Punk Cabaret
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 11:08:18 AM »

LOL, yes how DARE I complain! Nevermind that it was made very clear to me that this board isn't near the top of their priorities.

You know, my job is pretty hard, too, but unlike some others, I actually get all my work done. I don't use "my work is hard" as an excuse to let some important aspects of my job to slide.

Before you get all uppity about "well you get paid for what you do" I might remind you that I also volunteer (meaning not paid) as president of my HOA, dealing with very real grievances, all of which need to be addressed or there are very real legal ramifications. Would I be able to just tell the homeowner whose sewer has just backed up into their unit "my work is so hard" as a reason for NOT doing something about this person's living space being soaked in raw sewage? The answer is obvious.

So I ask, why isn't this situation as obvious?

Musings

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »

I had something longer written, but N.U. posted first.

Two points:

1.  Len, it is uber condescending to suggest that Hayley and Sean are less emotionally capable of handling feedback because they are younger than Amanda.  They are getting poor feedback because, as N.U. has made clear, there is one aspect of their jobs that they are not addressing.  They are capable of dealing with this as well as anyone older.  I say this as someone "in their age range".

2. N.U., the fact is this does not have the same urgency as someone's sewer getting backed up.  The forum also does not have the same urgency as merchandising, tours, managing, etc. whateverthehell Sean and Hayley do, which ideally, more people would help them out with, but isn't my decision or your decision or their decision to make.  Even within the forum, the people who are complaining about spam (us, the jaded older Sbxers) are not the main priority (the real young'uns, the new fans who will buy more merchandising and CDs and be giddy about Amanda's newer projects are).  

So you have a choice: continue to post your frustration in this thread, therefore being an important dissenting voice, who is still unlikely to be heard

or, do what I do: post rarely, mock SBx on Twitter, swoop into to watch Len (a well meaning fellow who thinks he is the voice of all that is good and protector of Team Amanda) vs. N.U. (a well meaning fellow who thinks he is, as the loudest dissenting voice, a rebel and protector of Fans Amanda), and for all intents and purposes think of the Shadowbox of more of joke than a real entity where I can use my time productively or have interesting conversation.

www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

Dejah Thoris

• Don't know what I want but I know how to get it
  • evolution is coming
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 11:38:14 AM »

^ sigh ** sigh

I know.  It is a bummer that the thing you've been pushing so mightily this past week is nothing but a dumb twitter poll.  

It would be a big un-sigh if it were something important like Best Fucking Punk Cabaret Singer in the Entire Fucking Punk Cabaret Universe, or some such.

** sigh

what's important is where the twitter contest is:

Amanda's hometown alternative paper in Boston

she solo & with Brian has won some category in that paper
(and a few categories some years.)
most of the past decade plus.

keeping visibility at home is important in the Music Biz.
(AFPwire doesn't ask for help with every poll and contest.
only a few.  & imho, the important ones.)

I'm bumping it everyday, for those who check in less
frequently.

Len, Len, Len, Lenlenlen....pay attention to your own words.  "What's important is where the twitter contest is."

EXACTLY! 

Where is it?

BOSTON!

Do I live in Boston?  No.  Therefore, it would be unseemly for me to vote in that particular newspaper's poll.  As it would be unseemly for anyone to ask me to vote in it, as well as it being unfair to the candidates for this particular honor.

Oh, but this is not about a fair competition, as silly as it may be.  It's really about supporting a rock band because they work hard and it's a hard life etc and so what's wrong about getting as much publicity as possible?

Okay, you win.  Rig the election, vote early and vote often, eh?

So, bump away Len.

Christ, this whole thing really pisses me the fuck off.

Spam, I can deal with.

The LenBox - not so much.

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »

Two points:

1.  Len, it is uber condescending to suggest that Hayley and Sean are less emotionally capable of handling feedback because they are younger than Amanda.  They are getting poor feedback because, as N.U. has made clear, there is one aspect of their jobs that they are not addressing.  They are capable of dealing with this as well as anyone older.  I say this as someone "in their age range".

2. N.U., the fact is this does not have the same urgency as someone's sewer getting backed up.  The forum also does not have the same urgency as merchandising, tours, managing, etc. whateverthehell Sean and Hayley do, which ideally, more people would help them out with, but isn't my decision or your decision or their decision to make.  Even within the forum, the people who are complaining about spam (us, the jaded older Sbxers) are not the main priority (the real young'uns, the new fans who will buy more merchandising and CDs and be giddy about Amanda's newer projects are).   

So you have a choice: continue to post your frustration in this thread, therefore being an important dissenting voice, who is still unlikely to be heard

or, do what I do: post rarely, mock SBx on Twitter, swoop into to watch Len (a well meaning fellow who thinks he is the voice of all that is good and protector of Team Amanda) vs. N.U. (a well meaning fellow who thinks he is, as the loudest dissenting voice, a rebel and protector of Fans Amanda), and for all intents and purposes think of the Shadowbox of more of joke than a real entity where I can use my time productively or have interesting conversation.

Have I told you lately that I love you?
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 07:37:31 PM »

spider jerusalem: though the forum you use and our sbox both use SMF.
The sbox is stressing the SMF software in ways it hasn't been tested for.
Including interactions between account deletion and banning,
as well as unusually large number of threads, posts, users, spams, etc.

There used to be a special thread for "big boards" on the official Simple Machine forums. It was/is a restricted section for boards with 500K+ messages. The SB does not have 500K... so, it is not pushing SMF that far. There other forums out there dedicated to a multitude of subjects that has more activity and more than 500K messages. That is: you do can secure and avoid spam surges on big boards. Tips are out there on their forum. Just read and use them to improve this board. To maintain a big board will consume time and power. If you cant cope with that, better find some else to do so.

Regards to voting on pools not related with my city or country, last year, when Harley got in touch with me to see how big was/is our fan base she asked us to not manipulate and make honest votes on the Eventful pool to avoid distorting data. So, why would I not follow this same philosophy regarded other DD/AP/BV pools?
I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »

it's not Hayley's, Sean's, or anyone else on Team Amanda's job,
to do what any of you tell them to do

as a long term fan, i can say:
your input is welcome.
including your frustrations

it's their bosses, ultimately Amanda and Brian,
to specify their job descriptions,
and give them their job assignments

so if you're really interested in communicating,
please find a more appropriate way to phrase things

Musings

How would you FEEL, if you were in Sean's' and Hayley's shoes, holding their jobs,
and you had to read N.U.'s incessant, boring, whiny, etc.posts about the spam?

I mentioned this above, but you choose to focus elsewhere.

Two points:

1.  Len, it is uber condescending to suggest that Hayley and Sean are less emotionally capable of handling feedback because they are younger than Amanda.  They are getting poor feedback because, as N.U. has made clear, there is one aspect of their jobs that they are not addressing.  They are capable of dealing with this as well as anyone older.  I say this as someone "in their age range".

Musings

with all due respect,
it's not condescending.

if you don't understand this from what I did write,
it would take far more time than I have now to try and get you to understand.

2. N.U., the fact is this does not have the same urgency as someone's sewer getting backed up.  The forum also does not have the same urgency as merchandising, tours, managing, etc. whateverthehell Sean and Hayley do, which ideally, more people would help them out with, but isn't my decision or your decision or their decision to make.  Even within the forum, the people who are complaining about spam (us, the jaded older Sbxers) are not the main priority (the real young'uns, the new fans who will buy more merchandising and CDs and be giddy about Amanda's newer projects are).   

Musings

The frustration is heard and understood.

But it isn't going to change anything faster.

N.U. approach isn't helping.

He is hitting the nail so hard and so often,
he is destroying both the nail
and wood it's suppose to hold together.

Less frequent whining,
More creative complaints,
would be better.

e.g. spider Jerusalem's approach is much better
getting started:

further back:

Musings

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 08:21:06 AM »

Interestingly, Len, it is also not your job to tell anyone to "find a more appropriate way of phrasing things".

Before N.U.'s posts, when several people (including N.U.) made reasonable complaints and suggestions, I would have felt that something needed to be done and would have asked spider or someone else with more computer saavy to take a look and do what he can to help.  After N.U. 's comments, I would either ignored that part of the board, or continued to post about solutions that are being tried - this depends on whether I actually had the time or space to find solutions, or whether I had taken initiative to ask for help, or whether I cared much about the board (which I honestly get why it is not that high on the list of priorities of anyone involved because I would feel the same way).  However, I am not more hurt or offended by these posts because I am a young'in, and really I shouldn't be able to better relate to this aspect of Sean and hayley's lives because we are all younger than Amanda. 

You are right about one  thing - it would take far too much of both of our times for me to fully understand everything you write.
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 01:04:42 PM »

Maybe THESE guys can help with the board issues.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »

Maybe THESE guys can help with the board issues.

Ha ha ha.....  You do realise those guys have the only high-speed internet connection for
a hundred miles around, and they use it to spam American internet sites, right?  You can't
see the server rack inside their shack.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »

You are right about one  thing - it would take far too much of both of our times for me to fully understand everything you write.

& vice-versa : - {
getting started:

further back:

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 10:44:14 PM »

I find it fascinating how my name has been thrown around here as if I need someone else to speak for me, which I clearly do not.

You can be loud, you can stamp your feet, you can be persistent and whatever it may be - to say something positive, or to express something negative, about the forum, about the band, about whatever you want, but that may or may not have an effect on how long something takes.

The forum is full of spam, yes, we see that, we are working hard to remove it as quickly as possible. As it stands, from the last I heard of it, there are some serious roadblocks that prevent us from changing these forums right now pertaining not just to the forum software, but to the servers. However, that means there is no IMMEDIATE resolution, but it does not mean that it will not be fixed or addressed in the coming months. I do not know the details, but it's a fair assumption and I believe Sean may have even stated it previously - Amanda's online channels, her websites, are about to be overhauled in conjunction with her next album and a bunch of other updates.

If there was ANYONE here (next to amanda and brian) who cares about the general happiness of you folks, the shadowbox, the long time and hard core fans, it would be me. And I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I'd say Sean and the rest of Amanda's team would agree too. So vent your frustrations, you're right, the spam sucks, but you aren't being ignored and fixes are in progress. I don't know the details, if I did, I'd share them with you. So either patiently wait, or do as Musings suggested and mock the forum on twitter.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 11:02:20 PM »

:happy1:

felt I should make a token effort to contribute to the discussion. it's the least I could do.

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 06:59:49 AM »

It's been noted by a number of you,
that because of the spam,
it's hard to suggest to people they
come to the sbox and hang out here.

Whining about the spam, also makes
this forum a less desirable place to be,
and to recommend.

I would personally appreciate less whining.

As Hayley suggested,
I would personally appreciate more patience, .

But you're free to do what you want,
within the BOX-RULES (please read before posting)
And as a moderator, I have to respect that.

[In passing, I've spent 15 minutes so far today
(6hrs 57 mins) deleting the spam,
and for most of that time I was asleep.
]
getting started:

further back:

lentower

• len's web sight
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 07:30:27 AM »

We only 'whine' in the appropriate threads and it is never without suggestion for improvement.

I would personally appreciate less God Complex.

it's sad you see it that way.
getting started:

further back:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 9  All   Go Up