THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Countdown to PA primary  (Read 16275 times)

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
Re: Countdown to PA primary
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »

we could cut all the crap and solve the problem by just voting for me
 :D

too bad i'm not old enough to run yet

We can still write you in... regardless of whether or not you'd be eligible, it'd be impressive on your resume.
"Oh, yeah, 2% of PA voted for me, and I wasn't even on the BALLOT."
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 05:08:03 PM »

2)Hillary, like any good politician, loves power. If this really does threaten to drag on to the convention, they'll offer her a prized position in the Senate, or maybe even get Reid to step aside as the Majority Leader.
It actually occurred to me a while ago that Hillary is extremely well suited to replace Ted Kennedy in the
Democratic Party power-structure when he gets around to retiring (a day I suppose won't be too far off).
She's got ties to the Presidency, but no real prayer of actually getting elected.  At the same time, she's
well connected with the powers on Capitol Hill.  The Republicans pretty much all hate her already, so she
doesn't have to pretend to make nice to get things done; she can be as way-out Left as she wants, and
never actually risk anything like credibility or prospects for higher office.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Cait.Beck!

• Silenceinmygrapevine
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »

2)Hillary, like any good politician, loves power. If this really does threaten to drag on to the convention, they'll offer her a prized position in the Senate, or maybe even get Reid to step aside as the Majority Leader.
It actually occurred to me a while ago that Hillary is extremely well suited to replace Ted Kennedy in the
Democratic Party power-structure when he gets around to retiring (a day I suppose won't be too far off).
She's got ties to the Presidency, but no real prayer of actually getting elected.  At the same time, she's
well connected with the powers on Capitol Hill.  The Republicans pretty much all hate her already, so she
doesn't have to pretend to make nice to get things done; she can be as way-out Left as she wants, and
never actually risk anything like credibility or prospects for higher office.

There's just something about her that's such a turn-off. I watch her rallys and I wonder how all those people can actually like her, if you look at all those goofy pictures of her...I know it's shallow and not the right thing to base anythign on, but she just seems like a fraud, something just makes me think I'm a fake, phoney son of a bitch! and all i see is her with that funny face going ARHHH!!! with the huge eyes!
I know if it's something I think of randomly when I look at her, I cant be the only one.. like when kennedy was running... everyone looked and him.. and looked at the old guy and the younger handsom one was a lot more appealing...
I guess it sucks but... it exists and that type of stuff is part of the vote, so I don't know why she doesnt make herself LOOK more appealing, unless that's her saying, THIS IS WHO I AM! and if people dont like it, TOO BAD

*shrug* Random thoughts...not very pertinent but, none the less
I exist as I am, That is enough.
Goodness found after digging up my profile in the old box:
Quote from: dangahdangah
Quote from: preferpencil
In conclusion, the clitoris is mysterious. TRY to ask the clitoris. Ask the clit and it will talk back.
does it really talk? :o

Musings

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 06:29:17 PM »

I think initially people didn't like her because she was a female who "acted masculine".

Then people didn't like her because she went after Obama, while he was trying to stay out of the fray.

Now people don't like her because, as Doug pointed out, the media is very much behind Obama and is coloring people's opinion.

My only problem with her is: Well, enough Republicans hate her that she won't get as much passed through as Obama as President, and I think she represents old school politics whereas Obama, both symbolically and otherwise, would be a small revolution for the White House.  Also, I feel with the above reasons, there might be Dems who vote against her as well.

www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

Cait.Beck!

• Silenceinmygrapevine
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »

I kinda feel like Hillary doesnt deserve to be the first female president, I feel like she had her chance when Bill was president, she's senator now in NY, which I don't know how that worked out because they didn't really live there....and she just seems like one or two of her wires are not completely attached

Obama... whenever I hear about him, it usually has something to do with him.. and colored... He makes such a big deal about it, I feel like it's over emphasized,

i'm going to try to say this well, but I dont know if it's gonna work out but... I feel like It isnt that the nation isnt ready for a female or black president, It's just racism and sexism will always exist but so long as we look at them, and what we think is, Black, white, male, Female, there is still an issue *OBVIOUS*

They both use the fact they that are female or black to their advantage, which makes sense, but they use it too much, they need to let it go and look at the real issues, they should be treated and treat themselves like any other person

Again... I ramble.  but ya.. we need a change in america! and we need to stamp out racism and war and hate and sexist shit but we have other problems too, which ya.. they are being recognized but.. the media doesnt help but neither of them have said Hey, I'm just a normal person!
In conclusion, the clitoris is mysterious. TRY to ask the clitoris. Ask the clit and it will talk back.

Musings

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 06:58:32 PM »

Wow.

I kinda feel like Hillary doesnt deserve to be the first female president, I feel like she had her chance when Bill was president, she's senator now in NY, which I don't know how that worked out because they didn't really live there....and she just seems like one or two of her wires are not completely attached

See, we don't have to worry about a white man "deserving to be the first whatever president".  She had her chance as First Lady?  First Lady isn't an elected position of power.  I agree that there something off about Hillary, and I'm disappointed in the way she's been making this much much more dirty than necessary, and also she is a little too power hungry, but the other points are off-base.

Obama... whenever I hear about him, it usually has something to do with him.. and colored... He makes such a big deal about it, I feel like it's over emphasized,

i'm going to try to say this well, but I dont know if it's gonna work out but... I feel like It isnt that the nation isnt ready for a female or black president, It's just racism and sexism will always exist but so long as we look at them, and what we think is, Black, white, male, Female, there is still an issue *OBVIOUS*

They both use the fact they that are female or black to their advantage, which makes sense, but they use it too much, they need to let it go and look at the real issues, they should be treated and treat themselves like any other person

Again... I ramble.  but ya.. we need a change in america! and we need to stamp out racism and war and hate and sexist shit but we have other problems too, which ya.. they are being recognized but.. the media doesnt help but neither of them have said Hey, I'm just a normal person!

The media is primarily the one that made this the race of the first possible woman president versus the first possible black president.  I was telling a friend that Obama is not simply black -- he is mixed race, and the possibilities in that are enormous, in representing Americans, but the media, and him to an extent have harped on the fact that he is black, possibly because a mixed race president is even more radical to accept.  That being said, I think when it comes to the general election, this will become slightly less of an issue, except in polling (because pollsters are stupid and like to split votes by race and come to wide assumptions about it). 

I really don't understand your other logic though -- America is still racist and sexist so we should continue to allow it to be racist and sexist by avoiding getting a female or black into the White House?  For me it is not simply that Obama is black, or Clinton is a woman, but together they force these issues to be talked about and for Americans to confront their feelings about it.  The first step to overcoming racism and sexism is recognizing and discussing it.

It's not a matter of being ready.  If we waited for when the world was ready -- for civil rights, for woman's rights, for American independence, for the multitude of things that make this country what it is.... we would still be waiting. 

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

Cait.Beck!

• Silenceinmygrapevine
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »

Agreed Conclusion:
Obama would be a lot better than Hillary for a multitude of reasons

So... Predicitions?

I really don't think Hillary is going to win the primary.. I dont know what they said the gap was between the two of them at this point but I think Obama, being that he is young and fresher out of the shoot is going to get the vote... Hill has been around for a while, not too long, but...with the time she has spent in politics she has the corruption under her belt and knows how to play the game...
I wish they would do a complete turnover of the Congress and the house, get all of the dirty people out, bring in a new batch, I'm not saying it would fix "the problem" but at least we'd have a new bunch of people with new Ideas and new hope to get things fixed and make a change..then theyd all be new to the game and could.... WOrk together!!!

Musings

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 01:28:11 AM »

I think Hillary was 20% ahead than Obama in PA last time they polled, but the gap was closing.  Hopefully that last debate  on Thursday didn't hurt him.  It really frustrated me.   He's a man of words, and yet he has totally failed at using them appropriately a few key times in the past few weeks.  And he seems surprised whenever Hillary or someone else comes after him, even after she's done it so many times.  I think it's a good sign that he isn't some weary and evil politician, but at the same time, he's got to be able to handle whatever the Repubs throw at him which will be Hillary's stuff and more.

He had his biggest rally ever at Philadelphia on Friday.  People are excited about him at a very fundamental level, and I hope that shows in the polls.

tw2113

• Agent Semi-Intelligent
  • Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    • Michaelbox dot Net
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 02:27:34 AM »

I wish they would do a complete turnover of the Congress and the house, get all of the dirty people out, bring in a new batch, I'm not saying it would fix "the problem" but at least we'd have a new bunch of people with new Ideas and new hope to get things fixed and make a change..then theyd all be new to the game and could.... Work together!!!
It's called not re-electing your currently-chosen representatives. You would do that by talking to the people who do the electing.
There comes times in every man's life, where he must urinate. For me, now is one of those times, excuse me

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 01:18:55 PM »

I wish they would do a complete turnover of the Congress and the house, get all of the dirty people out, bring in a new batch, I'm not saying it would fix "the problem" but at least we'd have a new bunch of people with new Ideas and new hope to get things fixed and make a change..then theyd all be new to the game and could.... WOrk together!!!
It's a funny thing...  Manymanymany people want to clean House (and Senate), but often those same people think
their Congressman is OK...  Add to that the way Congressional Districts are gerrymandered to protect the guys
currently in office, and you have a situation where nothing interesting will happen.

Two things you can do:
1. Work to ensure that whoever your Congressman is, he has opposition on the November ballot.
   (It's a little late to be just getting started on that for '08, but better late than never.)

2. Lobby your STATE legislature to create a non-partisan districting system.  Once legislative
   districts are designed around something other than "what neighborhoods vote which party?"
   there will be more natural turnover in Congress.  Fewer entrenched legislators means less of
   an old-boys network.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »

Hillary better not win.

She's ruining it for her party. The more a party fights with each other, the less of a chance they have at winning. Starting the bickering now gives McCain's camp a headstart on the bashing. Like Musings said, Hill has way less of a chance at beating McCain than Obama.

The powers that be already have the gears in motion to set her aside.

1)Have you noticed that a lot of media reports now talk like Obama's the winner? I'm not saying it's a conspiracy but I think it's a hint that everybody's ready to end this thing.

3)On a somewhat unrelated note, I want to strangle each and every talking head out there (but not Talking Heads, 'cause they rule). I'm sick of money being wasted on useless polls. Who cares if McCain could beat Clinton or Obama today? A year ago, Giuliani had an edge over the other Republicans. A fat lot of good that did him. Other than possibly showing that the public thinks Candidate X is a total whackjob, all these "24 months from now..." polls don't mean squat.

*sigh* It's times like these when the 24/7 news cycle drives me crazy.

To answer point #1: Obama has, for all intents and purposes, had the nomination wrapped up since the Wisconsin primary back in late February. At that point, Clinton had to win all the remaining contests with 60-65 percent of the vote. That didn't happen; the following week, she won Rhode Island and Ohio, but lost Vermont and Texas. If I remember the math right, she would have to take ALL the remaining contests with something like 68 or 69% of the vote if Michigan and Florida aren't seated...and even if they are, she has to win ALL the remaining contests...with 62% of the vote.
Ain't. Gon'. Happen.

jdfu!

spazgirl1981

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 01:52:49 PM »

Just as a note, Hillary won the texas primary. If she hadn't this whole thing would be over.
~Betsy~

"Cultivate your curves - they may be dangerous but they won't be avoided." ~ Mae West

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »

Just as a note, Hillary won the texas primary. If she hadn't this whole thing would be over.

The Texas delegate apportionment process was a three-stage affair, with the March 4 primary being the 1st stage. Hillary won that, but Obama won the other two. Final delegate count from Texas was, I believe, Obama 98, Hillary 93.

...and it's been over since Wisconsin.

jdfu!

Musings

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 02:19:57 AM »

Just a reminder, if you are a registered Pennsylvania Democrat, please vote tomorrow.  Educate yourself, and then vote, whether for Barack or Hillary.  Policy, personality, strategy-wise, there should be one that you would support more than the other.

I am voting on strategy, and for that reason Obama.  I feel that Obama will be an easier candidate to defend against McCain. 

If you don't vote for whoever you feel the stronger candidate of the two, and that person doesn't make it, and McCain wins... well, every vote contributes to the larger picture.  Make sure that your voice, however you believe, is heard, and the eventual president reflects you and your beliefs to the best extent.

The number given to me by the Obama campaign for more information is 1-866-675-2008.  Polls are open from 7AM-8PM, and remember to bring some sort of official photo ID (college student ID is appropriate) or non-photo ID like mail that has an address that matches your registration address.

You only need those forms of ID if you are voting for the first time or in a place you have never voted before.

dj50tonhamster

• Shake your booty like Sheik Yerbouti
  • A kindler, gentler machine gun hand
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »

Polls are open from 7AM-8PM, and remember to bring some sort of official photo ID (college student ID is appropriate) or non-photo ID like mail that has an address that matches your registration address.

Perhaps things are different in PA but I believe college IDs aren't considered "official" IDs in VA. A lot of places accept them anyway but things like the mail - preferably a utility bill of some sort - are preferred.

Also, if you don't have ID, you should be able to vote anyway. In VA, you're allowed to sign an affidavit swearing that you are who you say you are. I'd imagine PA has a similar system in place.
"Mommy, will God send fire ants for me someday?"
"Only if you're good and you pray every day, then Jesus sends the bugs for ya. Good night."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up