THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going Green  (Read 4935 times)

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

Going Green
« on: April 28, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »

Hey box. As Earth Week has just ended, I was wondering what other shadowboxers are doing, if anything, to help the environment?

I have not done a whole lot at home, but I've been working in my school to encourage recycling among peers etc. Dorky, I know, but it makes me feel like I'm contributing.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

fairytalevegas

• FairytaleVegas.com
  • Party on the Intern!?
    • My Photography Website
Re: Going Green
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:44:17 PM »

We switched the lights in my room to ones that use less energy. Sure, they don't actually light my room to well, but it helps. And no lights on during the day.

Quote from: gargantuan
Quote from: Cheddars Cousin
MASS KISSED A BOY! :o
GARGANTUAN KISSED A GIRL! :O haha!

renegadeoptician

• Laser Haiku Surgery
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:18:19 PM »

I Kill and Eat Cows
As Often as I Can For
Cows are the #1 Source of
Green House Gases

Fuckin'
Methane factories
Rules not Meant
To be Bent
Must be Broken

T K

• not a kid anymore
  • Global Moderator
  • Brother, my cup is empty
    • Twilite
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 11:45:10 PM »

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:56:23 AM »

recycling paper/plastics, energy-efficient bulbs, sealing windows in winter, driving 65 instead of 75 when possible in the kill-or-be-killed arena that is Detroit traffic.
My one indulgence is long showers.

jdfu!

tw2113

• Agent Semi-Intelligent
  • Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    • Michaelbox dot Net
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 02:21:30 AM »

I pretty well lack social life so I tend to go two places majority of the time: work and apartment. This happens year around, so eat that 1 week only people
There comes times in every man's life, where he must urinate. For me, now is one of those times, excuse me

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 02:40:52 AM »

I recycle pretty much everything. I don't drive cars or fly in planes (if this sounds like a huge sacrifice to some, believe me, to me it really isn't. I hate cars, can't drive, don't like flying and can't afford either anyway.) I try to be mindful in my everyday existence.

I'm forever turning off lights and unplugging things.. but that's more to do with being thrifty and saving me money than saving the planet.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:51:18 AM »

Don't turn things off if you are just leaving them unattended for a short while. It costs more to run many electrical devices than it does to run them for a few hours. Stereo equipment runs doubly. You are shortening the life of the device when you turn it on and off a lot. Computers too.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:01:49 PM »

As soon as my wrists are better most my transportation needs will be taken up by my 60 plus mile per gallon favorite toy in the world (here she is in the bottom left on the way up to North Conway, for her first off-road ride just about one week after I bought it, damn I need to ride again).

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 12:24:07 AM »

I avoid buying too much useless crap. The world has enough crap in it. I do not want to encourage it to make more.
I don't drive a car (can't - don't have a licence and won't ever get one). I recycle. I only use safe biodegradable cleaning products in my house.

I don't find any of these things to be difficult - despite the fact that my sister (who is a crap addicted, petrol guzzling, chemical using non recycler) feels that I am insane.

Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 01:13:04 AM »

The same. Feeling gitty while passing by the neighbor's Hummer (did they buy their kid that?!?), being a people-hater in my bad moods. I hate my neighborhood for having too many SUV's and not enough pedestrians D:<
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 01:19:45 AM »

I killed two cows; they produce tons of methane.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 07:56:44 AM »

Not having a car or driver's license is not an option for me or any person where I live or in my line of work or in my brother's line of work or with my traveling desires.

Not having a license at all is ridiculous...especially for environmental reasons. When someone, in an emergency, needs a driver, people have made themselves useless by deciding they aren't even going to learn how to drive.

Pope Totalfrog

• twitter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:01:11 AM »

Not having a car or driver's license is not an option for me or any person where I live or in my line of work or in my brother's line of work or with my traveling desires.

Not having a license at all is ridiculous...especially for environmental reasons. When someone, in an emergency, needs a driver, people have made themselves useless by deciding they aren't even going to learn how to drive.

The reason I don't have a licence is not enviromental. It is due to the fact that I don't like driving and I have a tendency to daydream that is incompatible with operating heavy machinery :uglystupid2:. If I have to, I can just not legally.
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »

I killed two cows; they produce tons of methane.

There's always more where those come from.   :tongue7:
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »

The reason I don't have a licence is not enviromental. It is due to the fact that I don't like driving and I have a tendency to daydream that is incompatible with operating heavy machinery :uglystupid2:. If I have to, I can just not legally.

And then if you get in an accident you could possibly ruin someone's life, even if the car in question is insured they won't pay for anything for uninsured driver so if anyone ever gets hurt they are completely screwed. Is paying the $45, and doing a three-point turn that hard?

Not to mention the fact that other states don't always recognize non-driver license IDs. A good example of this is a Massachusetts ID (the ones that say this is not a driver's license on them), are not acceptable in the state of New Hampshire
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »

Seriously. Learning to drive and getting a license is a very wise thing to do. You don't need to have a car, but having a license is crucial. If you can honestly say you have gone the last year without ever being in a car, you might have some room to debate.

An unlicensed party on a trip is a liability.

Pope Totalfrog

• twitter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 06:27:01 PM »

And then if you get in an accident you could possibly ruin someone's life, even if the car in question is insured they won't pay for anything for uninsured driver so if anyone ever gets hurt they are completely screwed. Is paying the $45, and doing a three-point turn that hard?

I live in Australia and it costs a lot more than that to get a licence. You have to rack up 120 hours of driving time with a fully licenced driver while you are on your learner's permit and you have to have a certain number of driving lessons from a professional too.
I would never drive without a licence. A big part of the reason why I don't drive is the whole "you screw up, you kill someone" thing.  I have never done it out on the open road. I have only ever driven on private roads on farms (when my husband was trying to convince me that I would like driving if I tried it). So while I know how to operate a car, I never would. If there was an emergency I would call an ambulance - I have done this before and everyone survived.

Seriously. Learning to drive and getting a license is a very wise thing to do. You don't need to have a car, but having a license is crucial. If you can honestly say you have gone the last year without ever being in a car, you might have some room to debate.
An unlicensed party on a trip is a liability.
I have been in a car lots of times in the past year, and I agree going on long trips is made more difficult by my decision not to drive - but I can't see it changing anytime soon. I know that if I drove my life would be made that little bit easier (especially with two small children) - but as long as I don't feel comfortable and safe doing it I am prepared to live without it.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »

Fair enough. I was probably dramatizing a bit too, but the points i made are things to think about. You screw up, you kill someone? True enough, but there are lots of responsibilities with such dire consequences. You have children. You already have one of the biggest life or death responsibilities a person can have. Driving is not that difficult if you are conscientious and practiced.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up