THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: To Offer A Gas Tax Break or Not  (Read 8169 times)

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
Re: To Offer A Gas Tax Break or Not
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2008, 06:38:57 PM »

Even if it is to the detriment of everyone? For the sake of a sense of fair responsibility?

I think we should be aggressively pursuing alternative fueling options. I think we should make it happen. I'm not in the "We're American, and we are to be held to different standards" school of thinking. I'm just saying that, pragmatically, the standard comparative references to European gas prices is frustratingly simplistic.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 09:07:50 AM »

Really, I feel for the countries where gas is $14 (daaaaamn). However, I complain because I see the patterns. Weekends, price per barrel goes down, yet the price at the pump goes up. Elections, price at the pump goes down. This summer is gonna be nuts, especially because I live so close to Hershey Park... Gas is going to be so expensive here. I know that with increased demand and decreased availability comes gigantic prices, but I really feel that gas companies have made their millions, billions. They don't really need any more. Instead, they can try marking it down to what it should be instead of what they want to price it for the holidays... Perhaps, maybe, they can use the pixie dust to regenerate their souls.

But then again, it is forcing us to do one thing that needed to be done anyway, and that's to cut back on horse power and increase mpg (BF's old VW Rabbit got like, 80 mpg...), and to make the slow switch to a hybrid, and then electric car.

Cee, whatever happened to that VA guy who made gas out of pond scum? It seems that I read that article, and then he fell off the face of the planet.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2008, 02:39:20 PM »

The exact same upping and downing has been happening in scotland, and there has recently been a strike at scotlands oil refinery because BP and Shell have scrapped the workers pension even though these companies are IN PROFIT.
The price of petrol rocketed and hasn't come down (oil companies doing), because Scotland relies on petrol as a rural country.
My diesel today had 10p off though, but only because I spent £30 in sainsburys and got a coupon.
It's ridiculous, because it's technically scottish oil from the north sea, but the english don't seem to be suffering price hikes.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »

...cut back on horse power...
I dunno.....  Check with your Amish neighbors.  Maybe you're going the wrong way with that.

Cee, whatever happened to that VA guy who made gas out of pond scum? It seems that I read that article, and then he fell off the face of the planet.
Turns out it was a convergence of methane produced by rotting plants (caused, in turn, by poor water flow
because of  the drought), and high levels of phosphorus leeching into the river from fertilizers and (sorry)
soaps used too liberally upstream.   Result: flammable river foam that can be refined into usable fuel.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 09:24:52 PM »

I know that with increased demand and decreased availability comes gigantic prices, but I really feel that gas companies have made their millions, billions. They don't really need any more. Instead, they can try marking it down to what it should be instead of what they want to price it for the holidays...

They have a responsibility though, to investors whose fortunes have not been made. In fact, some people just survive off their portfolios. Others rely on them. It isn't prudent, if world economic stability is a goal, to scale back any facet of the economy. The trick is to replace the source of profit. Asking the bigwigs to scale back profits isn't as simple as it seems. I agree that prices are artificially inflated, and I think that the economic correction that results is forthcoming. Sadly, it probably won't be until after summer. Speculation is a bitch though, and it sucks that the ripples are felt more violently down here among the serfdom.

Alternative fuel. It's not just hippy jive. It's not all about the environment. We are suffering because we are not diversified. That is the downfall of any investment portfolio, and our economy is invested too heavily in oil. We are invested too heavily in all petroleum products. It is time to diversify, and if we are going to spend taxpayers money, subsidizing that would be wiser than trying to build some house of cards in the Middle East.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

dangerpants

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 11:03:33 AM »

...cut back on horse power...
I dunno.....  Check with your Amish neighbors.  Maybe you're going the wrong way with that.

Turns out it was a convergence of methane produced by rotting plants (caused, in turn, by poor water flow
because of  the drought), and high levels of phosphorus leeching into the river from fertilizers and (sorry)
soaps used too liberally upstream.   Result: flammable river foam that can be refined into usable fuel.

Hey, the Amish don't use that much horse power either... Just 2 per vehicle!!
(Which is very irritating when you're driving late at night, and you get stuck behind them when they're coming home from the bars...)

Ceee, I didn't ask what it was... What happened to it? Did the gas companies call a hit on him?  :D

Ooh, and apparently there's a guy here in PA that makes devices that turn potatoes into fuel... which is great, because we gots a lot o' potatoes.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »

apparently there's a guy here in PA that makes devices that turn potatoes into fuel... which is great, because we gots a lot o' potatoes.

Appropos of nothing...you can turn a potato into a battery. Kinda.

jdfu!

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »

Today we reached £2.25 a litre
WTF?!

I just did the math, and that's exactly 16.79 USD. That's like, five gallons worth of gas here. Damn... I need to tell that to my friends who complain about the cost of gas.
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 06:46:33 PM »

apparently there's a guy here in PA that makes devices that turn potatoes into fuel... which is great, because we gots a lot o' potatoes.

jdfu!
Battery Schmattery!

You can turn a potato into a way to get lit.....

Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

dangerpants

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 07:40:58 PM »

jdfu!

A pet peeve of mine...
*Apropos.
fudj!  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up