THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gang Violence  (Read 2043 times)

NickNJ

T K

• not a kid anymore
  • Global Moderator
  • Brother, my cup is empty
    • Twilite
Re: Gang Violence
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »

"the gangs and the government are no different" - PF

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »

We foster an environment of police entitlement with a war on drugs that is prioritized over civil liberties.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

NickNJ

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 11:07:48 PM »

We foster an environment of police entitlement with a war on drugs that is prioritized over civil liberties.

This goes way beyond that.  This is in response to the gang having one of their own killed and taking it out on their favorite punching bags.  Young black youth.  As my one friend very eloquently put it "It must suck to be black in a city in the US when a cop gets killed."

Why do people still believe in honor and integrity in the policing system?  I ask this honestly because i cannot even begin to fathom that concept.  They aren't serving the people, they are serving the state.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 12:00:48 AM »

I don't doubt that it becomes bigger. I could probably draw the line further back too. There are racist roots even in the drug war I so detest. Still, the people support... OK, many people support the empowerment of the police. It's a reaction, but to what? Disproportionate reporting of crime is part of it. You have to love the voyeuristic media. Racism is part of it. How much racism is perpetuated by the sensationalism of the media? How much crime (including violent crime) is a by-product of the drug trade? How much is a by-product of social and economic disenfranchisement? How much of that culture is due to the festering boils of neighborhoods whose decay is a direct result of the cycle of the drug trade?

The suburbanites shudder. The rural folk take up their rifles. The youth wear their clothes like the thugs whose apparent self-assuredness they envy. The parents of these kids scorn the culture that seems to be infecting their own family. Then some politician says they will crack down on crime. They will fund prisons. They won't coddle prisoners or the accused.

Bam. That's it. The accused. As soon as the police are involved, someone is seen as the accused. To so many citizens, the accused are the problem, so the support more police power.

Maybe I'm a biased idealist. Maybe I'm wrong... so far off base that reality would show me to be an idiot, no matter how much reason I tried to inject into my thinking. Maybe, but I think that the one card that keeps the house of cards balanced is the drug war. That house of cards is injustice, corruption and general evil in our justice system.

I'm not entirely clear where the focus in your fight is, Nick, but I think that is a key to derailing the ill intents and conspiracies of the misguided... no matter the manifestation. I'm open to be shown other areas of focus.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

NickNJ

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:41:31 AM »

I don't doubt that it becomes bigger. I could probably draw the line further back too. There are racist roots even in the drug war I so detest. Still, the people support... OK, many people support the empowerment of the police. It's a reaction, but to what? Disproportionate reporting of crime is part of it. You have to love the voyeuristic media. Racism is part of it. How much racism is perpetuated by the sensationalism of the media? How much crime (including violent crime) is a by-product of the drug trade? How much is a by-product of social and economic disenfranchisement? How much of that culture is due to the festering boils of neighborhoods whose decay is a direct result of the cycle of the drug trade?

The suburbanites shudder. The rural folk take up their rifles. The youth wear their clothes like the thugs whose apparent self-assuredness they envy. The parents of these kids scorn the culture that seems to be infecting their own family. Then some politician says they will crack down on crime. They will fund prisons. They won't coddle prisoners or the accused.

Bam. That's it. The accused. As soon as the police are involved, someone is seen as the accused. To so many citizens, the accused are the problem, so the support more police power.

Maybe I'm a biased idealist. Maybe I'm wrong... so far off base that reality would show me to be an idiot, no matter how much reason I tried to inject into my thinking. Maybe, but I think that the one card that keeps the house of cards balanced is the drug war. That house of cards is injustice, corruption and general evil in our justice system.

I'm not entirely clear where the focus in your fight is, Nick, but I think that is a key to derailing the ill intents and conspiracies of the misguided... no matter the manifestation. I'm open to be shown other areas of focus.

Where doesn't my anger focus is a better question.

My previous post was nothing more than saying that i think it's a bit of stretch to link this instance of police brutality with absurd drug laws and a lot more easily blamed on power-tripping authority figures.  Of course i blame the drug laws for a great deal of our current problems, like over-crowded prisons, cyclical poverty, etc. but my main gripe (at least at that point in time) was in the pathology of our society.  I don't understand how things like this can occur and not only be rationalized, but defended, not just by authority figures, but people in this country and the mainstream in general.  It doesn't make sense to me how this frame of mind manages to eat its way into peoples mantra.

Sean Belle was murdered as a result of many long-standing social issues that include racism, classism, police oppression and state-sanctioned violence against the innocent.  Not only are his killer's free, they are rationalized and legitimized by the legal system and the public eats it up.  I don't understand who the public could possibly assume instances as these serve.  Certainly not them.  What could the average joe asshole have to gain from this?  And yet there exists a belief that there is something inherently respectable and honorable in this line of work.  Mindless authority and self-serving law enforcement is defensible in the face of innocent victims because people are convinced that they are doing so out of the public's interests.  And yet here it is, blatantly obvious proof that the police value the lives of themselves far above those they are policing, that they serve their own interest and maintaining the power of the state only, and yet people turn their heads from it.  Mark my words, just as with Sean Belle, this latest incident will be given the full blow-hard treatment of some trumped up technicality that serves the purpose of reasoning a slap on the wrists for the officers in question and quell any possible, half-assed public outcry because public will eat it up.  Hell, Sean Belle's killers walk free and the thing people are pissed off about is that protesters were blocking city traffic.

And all of this, all of it, ties back much farther than the bullshit drug war.  It's a suicidal pathology that is inherent in the parts of society that it needs to be in order to maintain police oppression.  It's the reason things like the bullshit drug war can exist.  It's the reason why things like police brutality, police racism, police murder can be justified.  It's what convinces people that this shit is necessary and its how outright murder is ruled as an honest mistake of a well-intentioned officer trying to protect the public by firing off 31 shots at an unarmed man and reloading twice on an empty city street.

These three people were beaten senselessly.  By the weekend the bill o'reilly's will be mentioning how excessive force was necessary because they were suspects in a shooting and a cop was just recently killed.  And people will buy it.  I hope to god none of them have prior arrests or felony charges because you can believe that if they do there will not be a single instance in which the media will refer to them as "victims" but instead as "ex-felons."  And should any sort of retaliation rise out of it, what will happen?  A frenzy of "misdirected anger" and "senseless violence" announcements from the media and authority figures and the people, fully-justified in their righteous indignation, will be demonized and once again, the police canonized as heroes put in unfortunate circumstances.  It truly, honestly baffles me how obvious this is and yet how impossible people are in their willingness to believe it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up