THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for the Shadowbox community  (Read 5750 times)

SpookyTwigg

• Slave to the
Re: Question for the Shadowbox community
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 05:23:49 PM »

I can't say I've ever felt an obligation to act a certain way because of my name.

My name is Stephen and I'm an alcoho... wait sorry.
My name is Stephen. Specifically with a ph.
My mum was always very adamant that I shouldn't be a Steve and it is something that I've corrected people on several times. Though despite mine and my mothers efforts I still get Steve'd every now and then, I think that's the only thing that's effected me about my first name.
When I was at primary school I used to get called Steph or Stephanie, though it never really bothered me, as picking on names go I've heard its a pretty weak shot.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 06:32:04 PM »

I can't say I've ever felt an obligation to act a certain way because of my name.

My name is Stephen and I'm an alcoho... wait sorry.
My name is Stephen. Specifically with a ph.
My mum was always very adamant that I shouldn't be a Steve and it is something that I've corrected people on several times. Though despite mine and my mothers efforts I still get Steve'd every now and then, I think that's the only thing that's effected me about my first name.
When I was at primary school I used to get called Steph or Stephanie, though it never really bothered me, as picking on names go I've heard its a pretty weak shot.

And the question is...... ?

Should you start calling yourself "Steve"?  It's been my experience that consciously trying to
change the name people call you on a day-to-day basis is an uphill fight, so unless it's really
important to you, it's probably not worth the bother.

On the other hand, if you do decide to make the switch, you might start with "Mom, I've decided
I want people to start calling me 'Mary'...."   O0
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

SpookyTwigg

• Slave to the
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »

And the question is...... ?

Should you start calling yourself "Steve"?  It's been my experience that consciously trying to
change the name people call you on a day-to-day basis is an uphill fight, so unless it's really
important to you, it's probably not worth the bother.

On the other hand, if you do decide to make the switch, you might start with "Mom, I've decided
I want people to start calling me 'Mary'...."   O0
It is an uphill struggle I'll admit. Now I'm older I've mostly gotten over it and people can call me whatever they want.
Though Mary is good, I like the ring to that.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Hunter Lionheart

• Girl Operated Boy
    • Myspace
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

Not at all. I was named Luke, and aside from having to occasionally correct people that try to call me Lucas (It's not my name), I'm pretty happy with it. Never felt anything put upon me because of it.

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »

People at work have this really awful habit of calling me stupid things like "raisins", or "royzin". Real mature, ladies.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

lucy

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 05:22:49 PM »

I've never felt I should behave a certain way or anything like that because of my name. I never felt really connected with it though, Lucy feels much more like 'my name' than my real name (which I know a bunch of you know but I'd rather not have it mentioned on here). My real name is the one of my mother, and her mother and it goes back like that to the 1700s and possibly even further back than that. There have been so many people who have told me that that is amazing, and asked me if I will do the same when I get a daughter. Thing is though, I've not been in contact with my mother and her side of the family for 7+ years (by my own choice), so having the same name as someone from whom I feel so distant is very strange. It's especially awkward when people ask me where my parents got my name from (it's a rather unique name; in my country I've only found relatives with that name, no one else). Anyway, so I much prefer Lucy. It's a nickname that's loosely based on my real name, but somehow it feels very different to me, there's a much bigger and better connection with that name for me. And my great grandmother (on my dad's side of the family) was named Lucie so that's extra nice, that connection I do like ;) But even my nickname doesn't make me feel as if I should act a certain way or live up to certain expectations or anything.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »

People at work have this really awful habit of calling me stupid things like "raisins", or "royzin". Real mature, ladies.
Well, raisins ARE delicious and a healthy snack....  :)

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »

I'm neither delicious nor would I make a healthy snack... :P
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »

I'm neither delicious nor would I make a healthy snack... :P
[further comment omitted in the name of good decorum]

meganpaige

• has 74 Indja Points.
  • I am a delicious boat.
    • twitter
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 03:30:47 AM »

Odd. My family was discussing my name recently.

I don't know of much associated with my first name, other than the girl from My Little Pony. And Ms Mullally. And Ms Fox. My mom got the name from a little baby girl that was in the news. I think it was her dad that had (accidentally) killed her, so my mom named me after her because she didn't have a chance to live. So I guess all I'm supposed to do is live?

I was almost called Virginia after my grandmother. I think I would have really liked that a whole bunch. My grandmother was dead set against it because she said it's hard to spell (!). So I was almost named Mary (or Merry) after my other grandmother, but my grandmother Virginia got jealous. Also, had I been male I would have been James Everett, which would have also been cool.

My last name, however...I haaaaattttteeeeeee it...and the people associated with it, except my dad...
"nobody's going to come up to you and tell you to stop cuddling a monk and put your seatbelt on and while i'm over here what the fuck are you doing cuddling this monk?" - amanda fucking palmer

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up