THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things that ARE NOT WORDS  (Read 58929 times)

Brittany

• agent_smart
  • So bright, it's like redundant to have the sun out
    • myspace
Things that ARE NOT WORDS
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:45:28 AM »

Since we have a dream thread, this one has been getting on my nerves:

Reoccuring.  Not a word.  The correct word is "Recurring."

While we're at it:

Conversating.  Not word.  You want, "Conversing."

Irregardless.  That's redundant.  You're pretty much saying, "Regardful," which is also not a word.  The correct word is, "Regardless."

Anything else you'd like to add?
Cover it in mustard, clap your hands 3 times, close your eyes and say "Go to the fucking doctor"

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: Things that ARE NOT WORDS
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »

thru...

This is not a word.  I realize many people who need directions as to where they should drive
in order to pick up their buger and fries might not realize it, but the proper spelling involves a
number of seemingly extraneous letters.  The proper spelling is T-H-R-O-U-G-H.

Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Musings

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:37:58 AM »

Irregardless is wrong, but still pretty controversial.  It has it's own Wiki entry:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

I think "u" and "ur" should be banished from all text.  If you can't be bothered to put two extra letters, you probably shouldn't spend the time typing anything at all.
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »

[devil's advocate]
In the context of txtmsgs, where brevity is at a premium, some allowance might be made.
Consider that, full-but-tiny keyboards notwithstanding, even the simple act of typing the
message can be a nuisance, and the number of characters is fixed, and there is often a
monetary charge for sending in two messages something that could have been compressed
into one.  Yes, it's a blight on the state of the written language, but as long as it stays in
its own specific place text-message shorthand may be acceptable. [/devil's advocate]

liek...

It's just as long as the properly-spelled word.  This is not acceptable.

mag

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:29:40 PM »

I have never heard anyone say this.

Kovacs

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

Alot is two words. A lot.

This drove my fourth grade teacher batty. If you did this, he'd circle it in red pen and spiral it out over your whole sheet of paper. That might sound mean, but he was awesome, so it came across as more of a pet peeve.

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »

I could care less about this thread...

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »

I could care less abot this thread...

I would of to before I red urpost. 
"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa

murmur

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »

I could care less abot this thread...

I would of to before I red urpost. 

LOL Boiz stoppit

Brittany

• agent_smart
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »

Tonite.

My boyfriend does this to save space and time, he says.  In my opinion, that one letter's difference isn't worth looking ignorant.
Cover it in mustard, clap your hands 3 times, close your eyes and say "Go to the fucking doctor"

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 02:00:28 PM »

Thru can work, as a modifier for street, if you are talking about whether or not a street is designed to be navigate through a neighborhood.

Should of is the most disappointing word usage error I have ever witnessed.

I don't think netspeak acronyms are ever excused by a need or desire for brevity.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 02:29:01 PM »

well, i don't know about all the rest, but reoccuring is a word, because i've used it. and embiggens is a word, because i saw it on the television, and television would never lie to me.

i see some people talking, but all i read is fapfapfapfapfap.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »

Fapfapfapfapfap is, most definitely, not a word.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »

especially if people are fapping over it. xD

AND IT'S A WORD. I SWEAR IT IS. the urban dickshunari told me so.

1. fap
The onomatopoeic representation of masturbation.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 03:11:38 PM »

Should of is the most disappointing word usage error I have ever witnessed.

Agreed.  It is also disappointing to read things like "It up set her everytime he came over."  This relatively new tendency to combine two words into one and to separate a single word into two is quite puzzling. 

A pet peeve:  He was suppose to meet me at the library.  Really, now, just add one little extra letter and everything's cool.

Alot is two words. A lot.

This drove my fourth grade teacher batty. If you did this, he'd circle it in red pen and spiral it out over your whole sheet of paper. That might sound mean, but he was awesome, so it came across as more of a pet peeve.

Someone sent me a poem recently to read and requested an opinion.  This person wrote "alot" twice in the coverletter (there's another one!) so I pitched the poem.  Sorry, but that was exactly the wrong way to make a good impression.

Irregardless

You never know about this one.  One day I was listening carefully to a lecture by my Oxford-educated professor, who was always so precise and correct in his speech, when suddenly, out of nowhere (or the trailerpark (~snerk~) or the playground) but out of his mouth came the dreaded and completely unexpected "irregardless".  It rang out and echoed like the apocalypse, mouths hung open in every row from the front to the far back of the auditorium, and yet this - - this scholar - - simply continued on with his lecture, as if nothing at all had happened.

"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 03:13:13 PM »

You know, kids, most words have a base that can be used to form different parts of speech.
For example, the verb to converse gives us a noun, conversation,
and adjectives, conversant and conversational (among other variations).

Please take note:
fellowship - NOT a verb!
conference - NOT a verb.  If you wish, you may "confer" with someone.

reverend - an adjective.  If you wish to describe your pastor, Reverend Mr./Mrs./Ms...[name] or, if
applicable, Reverend Doctor.  I realize this one is a lost cause, but if religion can't be held to an
unattainable ideal, what can?

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 03:30:43 PM »

Quote from: devery
Quote from: brittany
Irregardless

You never know about this one.  One day I was listening carefully to a lecture by my Oxford-educated professor, who was always so precise and correct in his speech, when suddenly, out of nowhere (or the trailerpark (~snerk~) or the playground) but out of his mouth came the dreaded and completely unexpected "irregardless".  It rang out and echoed like the apocalypse, mouths hung open in every row from the front to the far back of the auditorium, and yet this - - this scholar - - simply continued on with his lecture, as if nothing at all had happened.

and that is why this thread is fapping. a person can be much more intelligent than you, and use a word you dislike.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »

Irregardless

and that is why this thread is fapping. a person can be much more intelligent than you, and use a word you dislike.

Actually, irregardless doesn't really bother me at all.  And, depending on the person and context, I sometimes like "me and my girl took it to the back seat" (but never backseat) and "I wonder who's kissing her now? - aww, that little ? can just be the cutest little thing.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 04:00:24 PM »

Irregardless

Actually, irregardless doesn't really bother me at all.  And, depending on the person and context, I sometimes like "me and my girl took it to the back seat" (but never backseat) and "I wonder who's kissing her now? - aww, that little ? can just be the cutest little thing.

actually, i was more so talking about everybody else who is physically sick by the usage of the word. it's funny.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »

"It up set her everytime he came over."

A pet peeve:  He was suppose to meet me at the library.

This happens so much that I find myself double-checking to see if I might be wrong on a compound word or hyphenate. I tend to be correct, but the plague is disorienting.

"Suppose to". Hmm. That seems to indicate one of two things. It could be a misunderstanding of the meanings of the words from which one has to choose, or it might just be lazy, phonetics in a world of slurred speech. It is probably the latter. That is why it is important to read bookss. Reading internet posts and unedited blogs just reinforces the confusion. This is one of the reasons I don't find it so petty to critique the deterioration of language we are witnessing these days. Bitchy as it may seem, the corrections do some people a favor. Maybe someone gets a job that wouldn't have, had they not seen a word corrected on some random forum.

As Caddy has said, a person might be very smart and still use improper English. I see that as another reason to correct. Why allow a generation to lose their intelligent people to the gross deterioration of language?

Musings

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 08:44:37 PM »

I'm finding that my typed grammar is deteriorating as I type more and more (particularly these last few weeks).  I also tend to make up a lot of words, especially nonexistent compounds. 

I'd like to think the reason for the first problem is because I think faster than I type so I'm always rushing my typing a bit in order to get the thought out. As for the second problem -- I say that's poetic license.  *grin*

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

RatsRGods

• Ain't nuthin' wrong, wit a lil bump & grind
    • My Myspace
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »

Okay ya'll. 
This is a little sample of my 13-year old cousins profile on myspace :
(in her defense, she is a really intelligent girl but this is aparently how "the kids" talk on the myspace)

»_x HEy WhASSUP iTS yA GiRl mAuReEN (A.k.A) NaNa.. C0MiN STRAiGHT 0UT dA 216. iM 13 yEARS 0lD. i aM tAKIn RiTE NOw. &&Nd IIm n loVE sO If u TRynA hoLLA i Aint avAilABLe.. yEAH S00 iM PRETTY EASy T0 GET Al0NG WiT. iM CRAZY AS HEll TH0UGH. l0lZ. iM 50%ITALIAN (whiTe) nnD 50% black bUt IIluv Da lations lol i rep ALL dA Way lol . iM iN l0VE WiT Lil waYne. i lUv maH GURlzz &&nd nikkas(ashley,sirena,karrie,man-man,smoothie miix,etc.).[] i lIKE T0 CHiLL WiT MAH FRiENDS. i G0 T0 DENiS0N. [lAME.] BUh yUH kN0....G0TTA GET MAH EdUMACATi0N. l0lZ. i AlWAYS BE TlKiN 0N dA Ph0NE. i hATE PPl Wh0 THiNK THEY RAW. liKE REAllY iF All yUH G0NNA d0 iS TlK SHiT..d0NT EVEN TlK...yUH MAkE yASElF l00K BAd. B0yS Wh0 THiNK THEY CAN d0 WHTEVER THEy WANT WiT DiSZ CHiK..NEEdAH B0UNCE. i AiNT F0R iT. s0 nEwayS im OUTT but YAll HIt ME uP....... -♥YA GURL MAUREEN (A.k.A) NaNa
I do not allow hair to grow on my balls at all. 

RatsRGods

• My Myspace
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »

oh, did i mention i live in cleveland?

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »

»_x HEy WhASSUP iTS yA GiRl mAuReEN (A.k.A) NaNa.. C0MiN STRAiGHT 0UT dA 216. iM 13 yEARS 0lD. i aM tAKIn RiTE NOw. &&Nd IIm n loVE sO If u TRynA hoLLA i Aint avAilABLe.. yEAH S00 iM PRETTY EASy T0 GET Al0NG WiT. iM CRAZY AS HEll TH0UGH. l0lZ. iM 50%ITALIAN (whiTe) nnD 50% black bUt IIluv Da lations lol i rep ALL dA Way lol . iM iN l0VE WiT Lil waYne. i lUv maH GURlzz &&nd nikkas(ashley,sirena,karrie,man-man,smoothie miix,etc.).[] i lIKE T0 CHiLL WiT MAH FRiENDS. i G0 T0 DENiS0N. [lAME.] BUh yUH kN0....G0TTA GET MAH EdUMACATi0N. l0lZ. i AlWAYS BE TlKiN 0N dA Ph0NE. i hATE PPl Wh0 THiNK THEY RAW. liKE REAllY iF All yUH G0NNA d0 iS TlK SHiT..d0NT EVEN TlK...yUH MAkE yASElF l00K BAd. B0yS Wh0 THiNK THEY CAN d0 WHTEVER THEy WANT WiT DiSZ CHiK..NEEdAH B0UNCE. i AiNT F0R iT. s0 nEwayS im OUTT but YAll HIt ME uP....... -♥YA GURL MAUREEN (A.k.A) NaNa

Please tell me she can speak like she has the brain you say she does.

RatsRGods

• My Myspace
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »

oh yeah, she can turn the ghetto off if need be.  it's her environment.  i grew up the same way, if you talk the "right way" you are made fun of and called a nerd. People will think you are stuck-up.
She's a straight-A student actually.

i'm the same way.   I can sound like somewhat  of an educated person but in a moment change the way I talk.  Especially when I'm pissed off.

My pappy was from west virgina.  He had no teeth, tattoos all over, and sounded like a banjo with his thick accent. He didnt make it past fourth grade and his grammer was definitely off that charts in the "no-no" zone.

But he was one of the smartest men I've ever known. 

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »

... his grammer was definitely off that charts in the "no-no" zone.
How was his spelling?  ;)

T K

• not a kid anymore
  • Global Moderator
  • Brother, my cup is empty
    • Twilite
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 10:40:50 PM »

heighth is not a word.

The noun form of broad is breadth, the noun form of long is length, and the noun form of wide is width.

Because of this, some people follow the pattern and say heighth, with a th at the end of the word high. That is not standard English. The correct form is height.

Notice the vowel change with an ei. It is not ie because it does not make the long e sound.

RatsRGods

• My Myspace
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 10:41:19 PM »

... his grammer was definitely off that charts in the "no-no" zone.
How was his spelling?  ;)

His knowledge and life experience he passed onto me far outweighs of that trivial stuff...

and I never said I was smart or a good speller , I am just good at pretending to be.  Hollaaaaaaa!

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 11:44:40 PM »

"It up set her everytime he came over."

A pet peeve:  He was suppose to meet me at the library.

As Caddy has said, a person might be very smart and still use improper English. I see that as another reason to correct. Why allow a generation to lose their intelligent people to the gross deterioration of language?

you see it as a reason to correct, but i see it as a reason to say, "seee? words are really just semantics, and it's the meaning behind them that counts, not the spelling." it seems like these days people get so caught up in the words, they forget to see the bigger picture, lose focus, and then lose the meaning behind the what a person was trying to communicate.

really, i just can't see this happening. a person is deeply in the middle of discussing something very important to them with a friend, and ends up using the word "irregardless". would you actually stop the conversation to fix a word, and make them feel stupid? and therefore ruin their moment? i have stopped having serious conversations with people who get tripped up over some of the words i use, because it lets me know how shallow their thinking goes.

Brittany

• agent_smart
    • myspace
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 09:59:11 PM »

Intervention!!!

Musings

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »

I mean, I'm not the grammar police, and I believe it was Drizz (come back!) who threatened to send someone after me when I said that grammar didn't matter, really, on a format such as this.

I would argue though that words do matter.  Saying that words are just semantics -- semantics, at least in linguistics, are the meanings of words.  So words are just the meanings of words?  That doesn't make sense. 

Here, we are all assuming that everyone is intelligent and although they might say something a certain way that's because they choose to say it that way for one reason or another, and not necessarily because they think that way.  I certainly hope that RatsRGods' cousin doesn't think like that, because that is scary.  But language, on another level, affects thought.  For example, other cultures have different ways of counting and that's reflected in their language.  It has been argued that Western languages allow for more individualistic thought and Eastern languages allow for more community-based thought (although I think this is a stretch).  I think it's a feedback system -- thought affects language (we come up with Google and add that to the dictionary) and then language effects thought (we start expanding the word Google to become a verb that means search).   

It annoys me sometimes when my grammar is corrected, if it is simply the case that I was rushing or didn't care in a place like this.  But if it was honestly that my grammar was incorrect -- well, then, yeah, I'd like to know, because in a small way it's affecting my thinking.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 10:03:07 PM »

As a kid I was a great speller and that's because all the words had their own shapes and personalities and that was why it was so easy to spell. I'm not saying that my grammar is great but people really need to stop typing in "txt mssg" mode. Fuck! Unlike text messaging, the keyboard can be used by more than your thumbs. So lyk plz stp typn lyk dis unlss its a j/k LOL! nd evryting dosen't have 2 b writn in abbrvtns. Ahem ahem.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »

Alright should be all right, no?

People need to learn how there, their and they're work. Also, the mixing of to and too.

I must admit, I absolutely adore using apostrophes to join words together, which might not always be correct, but I can't help myself.
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 10:30:35 PM »

The correct contraction is a'ight.

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 10:36:44 PM »

The correct contraction is a'ight.

;D ;D

Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

Brittany

• agent_smart
    • myspace
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »

As a kid I was a great speller and that's because all the words had their own shapes and personalities and that was why it was so easy to spell. I'm not saying that my grammar is great but people really need to stop typing in "txt mssg" mode. Fuck! Unlike text messaging, the keyboard can be used by more than your thumbs. So lyk plz stp typn lyk dis unlss its a j/k LOL! nd evryting dosen't have 2 b writn in abbrvtns. Ahem ahem.

people think they're saving time by writing like that, but they really need to turn on the T9.

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2008, 12:35:58 PM »

people think they're saving time by writing like that, but they really need to turn on the T9.

Unfortunately, T9 doesn't know half the words I use... So either I take the time to spell each word, or just call the person. I save chat speak for humorous purposes.

-Ent/-ant words drive me up a wall. It just seems so obvious to me, and yet so many people misspell them. I mean, playa please.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

Brittany

• agent_smart
    • myspace
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2008, 02:07:41 PM »

Unfortunately, T9 doesn't know half the words I use... So either I take the time to spell each word, or just call the person. I save chat speak for humorous purposes.

-Ent/-ant words drive me up a wall. It just seems so obvious to me, and yet so many people misspell them. I mean, playa please.

maybe you're not spelling them the right way... my T9 knows pretty much every word I use, except for names and slang.  Then I add them to the dictionary, and they're there, forevermore.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »

I'm sorry... T9?

When I see a world in which people have stopped failing, so miserably, to understand each other, I will make some room for the idea of abandoning the structure that allowed great people to be great.  Do we still understand what someone says when they fail to use the correct word, correct spelling, correct punctuation or correct grammar? Sometimes, to varying degrees. Other times, such ineptitude, laziness or disrespect for the language further obfuscates conenctions that were barely effective in the first place. Just "letting it go" will provide bad examples and contribute to the further deterioration of language. It will slowly erase what makes us able to create a world that is as amazing as this.

Fuck that. There little spelling and grammatical errors are among the greatest problems facing our society. The truth is, I don't spend much time on correcting others, but I'm glad someone does.

dangerpants

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2008, 03:23:22 PM »

maybe you're not spelling them the right way... my T9 knows pretty much every word I use, except for names and slang.  Then I add them to the dictionary, and they're there, forevermore.

I promise, right hand up, I am spelling every word right.
Interestingly, my phone (one of the first Razrs) does, when I haven't entered any new letters within fifteen seconds, predict the end of the word and punctuation. I have predictive text turned off, it's just impatient.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »

My phone's T9 doesn't know a number of words I use, which bothers me a bit,
especially when it knows a word, but not the "add -s" plural of that same word.

Also, it knows a lot of non-words...   It suggests options that are neither words
nor stems that could be the beginning of a longer word.  This bothers me because
it says I can't add any more words to the custom dictionary, and I can't remove
the non-words.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2008, 04:02:14 AM »

This is quite comprehensive, in terms of usage.

u should of definately looked hear to.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 07:06:54 PM »

I mean, I'm not the grammar police, and I believe it was Drizz (come back!) who threatened to send someone after me when I said that grammar didn't matter, really, on a format such as this.

I would argue though that words do matter.  Saying that words are just semantics -- semantics, at least in linguistics, are the meanings of words.  So words are just the meanings of words?  That doesn't make sense. 

Here, we are all assuming that everyone is intelligent and although they might say something a certain way that's because they choose to say it that way for one reason or another, and not necessarily because they think that way.  I certainly hope that RatsRGods' cousin doesn't think like that, because that is scary.  But language, on another level, affects thought.  For example, other cultures have different ways of counting and that's reflected in their language.  It has been argued that Western languages allow for more individualistic thought and Eastern languages allow for more community-based thought (although I think this is a stretch).  I think it's a feedback system -- thought affects language (we come up with Google and add that to the dictionary) and then language effects thought (we start expanding the word Google to become a verb that means search).   

It annoys me sometimes when my grammar is corrected, if it is simply the case that I was rushing or didn't care in a place like this.  But if it was honestly that my grammar was incorrect -- well, then, yeah, I'd like to know, because in a small way it's affecting my thinking.

semantics don't matter. the meaning behind the words do.

that said, it has been discovered that i am an Anti-Semantic, and my friend is a Grammar Nazi.

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »

that said, it has been discovered that i am an Anti-Semantic, and my friend is a Grammar Nazi.

LOVE IT.

I am dyslexic and thus spent double the amount of time learning how to spell as a child (i still have problems with my TINY keyboard though). Spelling now comes fluently and easily to me, so I absolutely DESPAIR at some of the terrible things the current mixture of dialects in the UK is producing. "Should of" Is something I nag and nag nag nag my little brother about, however my own accent and dialect mean that "should've" does end up sounding like "should of". And trying to make it "shouldive" in my accent makes it sound stupid. Another quirk of the language is the class difference between how the middle and working classes say "I am not". Obviously, this is how the upper class says it, but the middle class says "I'm not" and the (scottish, at east) working class says "I amn't" or "I ain't" (sorry for the brash generalisations).

And the word Ken. ARGH! Ah dae ken!
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Brittany

• agent_smart
    • myspace
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »

With enough deterioration, the meaning isn't properly conveyed.  That's why grammar is important.  So we all know exactly what we're talking about.  I agree that grammar, itself, has no inherent meaning, and the speaker's intention is of ultimate importance.

I don't see why anyone who has read books and watched t.v., over the years, wouldn't know how to manipulate the language.  I've been called a grammar nazi, but I'm really not.  I use wrong/informal grammar, a lot.  But, gah, some people sound so ignorant, it rubs my fur backwards.  I want to grab them and be like, "Stop!  Stop acting ignorant!  The world isn't going to bend for you, because you were born yesterday and don't want the rules of English to be what they are!  Pay attention!" 

Haushinka

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »

Maybe this wasn't meant as a joke...
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 02:51:36 PM »

Maybe this wasn't meant as a joke...

i am. it is and isn't a joke, sillyhead.

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 08:57:24 PM »

Irregardless of what this thread might tell me, I will continue to say it. I love that word.
Quote from: kelliebean
Just follow her next time you see her head into the bathroom, and corner her. Women love that shit.

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »

Hillbilly
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

Brittany

• agent_smart
    • myspace
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 10:20:19 PM »

I had a nightmare that I used the word Irregardless by accident, yesterday.

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »

So you're admitting that it is, in fact, a word.
Just follow her next time you see her head into the bathroom, and corner her. Women love that shit.

Brittany

• agent_smart
    • myspace
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 11:05:18 PM »

screw you, man.

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2008, 12:43:57 AM »

screw you, man.

You're so irregardless.

dangerpants

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »

screw you, man.

You're so irregardless.

Dude, just like, chut up, ur like, such a jerkwad, man, like, srsly.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »

Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2008, 12:10:08 AM »

chut up

Go back to China, bitch!
Don't make me...     :knuppel2:

...well, clean up after she hurts you.  :nono:

dangerpants

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2008, 08:29:58 AM »

A+++ to Seean for knowing what I'm talking about.

Cee, take two of these and email me in the morning.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2008, 11:12:19 AM »

I took one once before, and it made my head all funny.....

(Did I mention that Richard Kelly lived, and I think still lives, about 10 miles from me?)

Drizz

• Her Vagesty, Our Lady of Perpetual Tardiness
  • Nappy-Headed Ho
    • Mah MySpace
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2008, 03:02:28 AM »

i have never heard anyone say this

i have, and it's irritating.

i hate when people say "supposebly" instead of "supposedly."

also, when people say "carmel" instead of "caramel."  but they say "caaarmulll" and that makes me want to cunt punt.

and yes, i've heard fucking adults say "posed-tah" instead of "supposed to."  WTFCKINGF?

*edit* oops, i'm an idiot.  a little rusty.
Quote from: Pillowz R Kool
Quote from: Chay
i read somewhere that masturbating during your period can actually help with cramps
And you can finger paint after.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2008, 06:41:59 AM »

My sister says the "t" at the end of "nougat". It's a small thing, but it makes me want to smash her face in.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2008, 02:12:53 PM »

My sister says the "t" at the end of "nougat". It's a small thing, but it makes me want to smash her face in.

instead of smashing her face in, why not just say how it should be pronounced next time she does it? if it really, really bothers you so much.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2008, 03:22:14 PM »

In America, she would be correct.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »

I do tell her. Often. She tells me to shut up, and then points out that I make up words all the time to compensate for my lack of vocabulary, which is infinitely worse, apparently. And we're not in America. *pout*

Drizz

• Her Vagesty, Our Lady of Perpetual Tardiness
  • Nappy-Headed Ho
    • Mah MySpace
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2008, 09:12:52 PM »

also, "acrost."
Quote from: Pillowz R Kool
Quote from: Chay
i read somewhere that masturbating during your period can actually help with cramps
And you can finger paint after.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2008, 10:53:44 PM »

"The fambly had ta get acrost." -Steinbeck

bathroomsurgery

• st. sally
    • art
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »

oh yeah, she can turn the ghetto off if need be.  it's her environment.  i grew up the same way, if you talk the "right way" you are made fun of and called a nerd. People will think you are stuck-up.
She's a straight-A student actually.

i'm the same way.   I can sound like somewhat  of an educated person but in a moment change the way I talk.  Especially when I'm pissed off.

My pappy was from west virgina.  He had no teeth, tattoos all over, and sounded like a banjo with his thick accent. He didnt make it past fourth grade and his grammer was definitely off that charts in the "no-no" zone.

But he was one of the smartest men I've ever known. 

Sounds like my photography teacher.  She's very intelligent, and very sweet, but everyone treats her like an idiot because she has a very heavy Southern accent (which, if you live in north Jersey, is kinda odd.).  The principal will come in to the class and talk to her like she has only half a brain, because of her accent.  Unfortunately, he's making her "retire" at the end of the year. :/ Which is fine, because she has her degree in Engineering, and can just go back to that job instead of teaching bratty, slutty high school students will take Photography because they think it's a bullshit class...

"Ironical".  That word bothers me. 
Blås med meg min kvite russer...

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2008, 02:27:45 PM »

Ain't gon' diginificate this he-ah bullsheeit wit no response

jdfu!

Rob

• Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2008, 03:43:40 PM »

Even though seen is a word, I can't stand people miusing it thusly:

I seen this movie the other day...
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

such a classic girl

• ain't got time to make no apology
    • MySpace
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »

"Ironical".  That word bothers me. 

you know, i absolutely hate that word as well, but it is technically a word and can be used as such. but i think it makes intelligent people sound incredibly stupid when they use it...why not just say ironic? ironical sounds like it should not be a word...
i'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2008, 09:51:17 AM »

My mom likes to harass me when I pronounce 'badminton' like it's spelled, 'bad-MIN-ton.' She says, "IT'S BADMITTEN!" She does this only to annoy me, though.

lanskyy

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2008, 04:29:16 PM »

In America, she would be correct.

I say that too...
:/
That someone as beautiful as Regina Spektor looked like that as a child should give hope to millions of ugly kids.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2008, 07:23:23 AM »

Then I'm afraid I can never associate with you again *storms off in a huff*

Haushinka

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2008, 10:02:47 AM »

"Ah dae ken"
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2008, 01:49:02 PM »

"Ah dae ken"
Are you suggesting that these are not words?

I dinna if I can be seen speakin wit the likes o yoo...

dangerpants

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2008, 04:47:14 PM »

Shakti

• Poster girl for some suburban sickness
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2008, 08:27:13 PM »

'S Scottish.  Still words...just not English ones.
My own private highway from the cradle to the grave; I save a bundle skipping middle age and Saturdays.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2008, 08:40:55 PM »

Me fae'vrit wurrrd in tha wurrld is Gaelic...

I'll nae say wha 'tis tho.   :brave:  ;)

The Great Ma Chao

• Winstons and Mouthwash
  • Hell Is Illiterate
    • My Myspace
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2008, 03:07:40 AM »

and yes, i've heard fucking adults say "posed-tah" instead of "supposed to."  WTFCKINGF?

I do that. It's accental. That's not a word. It should be.

Haushinka

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2008, 08:01:03 AM »

I'll nae say wha 'tis tho.   :brave:  ;)

You have sullied this thread.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
  • We have got to take cover, brother.
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2008, 06:45:23 PM »

The worst is when people actually SAY things like "jk" or "lol". I threaten them every time.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2008, 01:43:24 AM »

Sorry, you have to type it that way or people will think it should be pronounced the
way the English say it.

Haushinka

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2008, 07:57:20 PM »

Sorry, you have to type it that way or people will think it should be pronounced the
way the English say it.
I meant the Braveheart reference....
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2008, 09:05:44 PM »

Sorry, there's no proper Pict smiley.   Besides, that one probably resembles the real Wm. Wallace at least as much as it does Mad Mel.

Shakti

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2008, 10:42:07 PM »

Sorry, there's no proper Pict smiley.

Like, blue 'n' shit?
My own private highway from the cradle to the grave; I save a bundle skipping middle age and Saturdays.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2008, 11:51:43 PM »

Sorry, there's no proper Pict smiley.
Like, blue 'n' shit?
Fierce and heavily tattoed.  Possibly naked.
[I could fill in a couple of pages here, but I'll spare everyone.]

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2008, 10:11:25 PM »

Fierce and heavily tattoed.  Possibly naked.
[I could fill in a couple of pages here, but I'll spare everyone.]

I would read it!  O0

Haushinka

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2008, 10:23:13 AM »

I'll second that.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »

Y'all are far to willing to indulge a Liberal Arts graduate's tendency to write long complicated
answers to short simple questions.

How could one contain within the tiny space that is a message-board emoticon the complexity
of what we know, what we don't know, and what we believe about the people who occupied
Scotland before the Scots came from Ireland? 

Just for example, I like to think they wore tattoos, but even that is:
1) tough to demonstrate in a smiley, and 2) possibly wrong.

Haushinka

Re: Things tha
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »

Y'all are far to willing to indulge a Liberal Arts graduate's tendency to write long complicated

How could one contain within the tiny space that is a message-board emoticon the complexity
of what we know, what we don't know, and what we believe about the people who occupied

Whoa! Hold yer horses- we only borrowed the gaelic language- the irish never "came over" to Scotland. In fact for much of the last 10 centuries we have had stronger relations with Holland, Poland and Italy (Scottish-Italo being my sub-group on the scottish census). The Scots and Irish have long been unified by a common hate of english repression. We are every close yet keep our disance- The troubles were a result of the Scots getting too friendly with the Irish folk and settling over there.

Plus, William Wallace was post-gaelic influence- he lived in the times of the highland clearances that us Scots are still so sore about.

Sorry- I'm too patriotic.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
Re: Things tha
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2008, 01:03:10 PM »

Whoa! Hold yer horses- we only borrowed the gaelic language- the irish never "came over" to Scotland. In fact for much of the last 10 centuries we have had stronger relations with Holland, Poland and Italy (Scottish-Italo being my sub-group on the scottish census). The Scots and Irish have long been unified by a common hate of english repression. We are every close yet keep our disance- The troubles were a result of the Scots getting too friendly with the Irish folk and settling over there.

Plus, William Wallace was post-gaelic influence- he lived in the times of the highland clearances that us Scots are still so sore about.

Sorry- I'm too patriotic.
Actually, at some point in (most probably) the 3rd Century, raiders from Ireland, the Scots,
established a permanent settlement in/near modern Argyll, just north of the Antonine Wall.
Over the centuries, they overran, and were overrun by the Picts, and fought frequently with
the Romans, and later Northumbrian tribes, to their South.  It wasn't until the 9th Century
that Scottish and Pictish monarchy were permanently united.  Pictish language, while very
poorly documented, appears to be closer linguistically to Welsh and even Gaulish (as in
"France" way back when) than the Celtic language of the Irish and early Scots. 

If ya go back far enough, we're all descended from immigrants.

Haushinka

« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2008, 02:32:10 PM »

'Cept dem pangaean folk in eritrea.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2008, 04:36:13 PM »

Oh, didn't you hear?  All that sh...  stuff was made up by the Satan-worshipping
fake scientists.  Fer real.  Actually, G'd made Adam and Steve Eve, and since
they got evicted from Eden, we've all been immigrants ever since.

Haushinka

« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »

I ain't no immigint! But I can tell you are.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2008, 04:46:36 PM »

I ain't no immigint! But I can tell you are.
German, Irish, French, and a couple of folks named MacDuffie and Graham...
Not quite sure where those last two came from.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2008, 05:00:42 AM »

well the Celts originally came from India and Central Asiabefore expanding into europe, and our very early ancestors started out in Central Africa.....
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2008, 05:30:47 PM »

...and of course, who knows where homo sapiens came from before the
spaceships deposited them here...

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »

If this isn't a word (and I'm pretty dang sure it ain't), it should be:

dreckage: what you have when something that was shit to begin with gets completely trashed/ruined.

jdfu!

Beth

• Are you making a pass at me, Mrs. Blaylock?
    • MySpace page
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2008, 05:01:19 PM »

I'm too lazy to go through all of these to see if it's been before but the one that gets me is:

People saying crips instead of crisps.
I always feel like yelling "ARGH you are eating crisps- a potato snack- not a powerful and dangerous gang!!!"

Crips-I hear adults asking their kids if they want 'crips' instead of 'crisps'. Adults! GRR-these kids have no chance.

What also gets me is people saying Skellington instead of Skeleton. ARGH.

ɐqouɐs

• He of the Orgasm Cookies.
  • ˙uʍop ǝpısdn ʎʇʇǝɹd sı plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2008, 10:44:10 AM »

Well, we do not have crisps here in US, but Skellington vs Skeleton most definitely comes from Nightmare Before Christmas.
¿uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʇɐɔıunɯɯoɔ puɐ 'ǝʇıɹʍ 'pɐǝɹ uɐɔ oɥʍ ʍuo ʎluo ǝɥʇ ı ɯɐ

Beth

• Are you making a pass at me, Mrs. Blaylock?
    • MySpace page
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2008, 01:46:14 PM »

yeak I know re: Nightmare before Christmas-which I Love. But it seriously annoys me.
The same way that some people say a Bambi instead of a deer.

Haushinka

« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2008, 09:36:42 AM »

Americans who say "neuclar" instead of new-clee-arr. AAAARGH!

"Check-bin"

"haw man!"

And since arriving in thailand, the whole american fanny pack thing.

IT'S A FUCKING SANITARY TOWEL NOT A BUM BAG YA FANNY!
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »

Alright should be all right, no?

All right is the only correct spelling, as far as I'm aware.  Even so, I much prefer to use alright.  Allright is also frequently used, but it just looks so wrong.

But - today - I wish to bemoan the fact that adverbs appear to be going the way of the dinosaur.  Extinction of this noble and reliable part of speech is imminent, so enjoy them while you can!  Ex:  Newspaper sub-headline:  "Tips on how to go back to school safe."  And:  "We played bad.  We deserved to lose."

Obama might be an elitest, but when his children where asked how their mommy did, they (or at least one of them) said:  "She did good!"

I might also rant and rail against "infact" (and the like) and "un-characteristically"  (and the like) and its corollary, "make shift", "high way" etc, but I'm afraid it's too late to stop these cringe-inducing trends.  I will allot no demerits for anyperson who says "alot" because, well, frankly, there's been a lot of water that's gone over the bridge by now and it doesn't take rocket surgery to know that "it's here - get use (sic) to it!"

And finally, please, once and for all, it's "definitely".  It's easy - even furreigners generally know how to spell it.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2008, 05:22:09 PM »

My Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary ("fully revised and updated" 12 years ago)
says alright is an acceptable word, but that all right is used in "more formal, edited writing".

dangerpants

« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2008, 11:25:06 AM »

Obama might be an elitest, but when his children where asked how their mommy did, they (or at least one of them) said:  "She did good!"

:D

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »

:D

Haha.  Oops!  I'll also have you know that I spelled "your" as "you're" in an IM yesterday.  After reflecting upon this horrendous snafu, for which I was completely aghast (as I am for the above indefensible errors) I decided (together with Jennifer) that "fuck it - were not using apostrophes any more - theyre just too much work." 

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »

My Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary ("fully revised and updated" 12 years ago)
says alright is an acceptable word, but that all right is used in "more formal, edited writing".

Thank you.

Shakti

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2008, 11:37:19 PM »

in "more formal, edited writing"

That is to say by people who know the language, or those you pay people who know the language to make them appear that they do.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2008, 11:56:09 PM »

in "more formal, edited writing"

That is to say, as used by people who are proficient with the language, or those who have aides, assistants, or staffers
who are sufficiently fluent as to make it appear that they themselves are.

That'll be 50 cents.

Haushinka

« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2008, 08:26:07 PM »

ROFL.

Cos I don't know what 90% of abbreviated speech means.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2008, 04:25:59 AM »

It confuses me too, thankfully on this forum, it tends to just be a signature trait of particular shadowboxers

@raliel

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2008, 08:08:07 PM »

ROFL.

You think that´s stupid oh dear:

ROFLWEW

Rolling on the Floor Laughing while eating waffles

WTF

lol

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2008, 08:31:13 PM »

ROFL.

You think that´s stupid oh dear:

ROFLWEW

Rolling on the Floor Laughing while eating waffles

WTF

lol

Hahahaha!

paper-doll

• what country shall I say is calling from across the world?
  • I eat Dolls.
    • that's right
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2008, 07:28:28 AM »

Why don't people say "willn't?"
I dress up as a pony on the internet.  I have been on neopets for half my life.  And Sergeant Lewis will eat your soul.

Two Headed Boy

• is placing fingers through the notches in your spine
    • MySpace
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »

For the same reason they don't say 'tooken'
Buffalo hunting? I've gone buffalo huntin'? What the fuck does that mean?

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »

Why don't people say "willn't?"

After some serious research  :D, I came up with this explanation:

thanks Kovacs!

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to post a link by adding my own title or word(s) instead of just the usual, boring link.

Kovacs

« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2008, 04:55:31 PM »

[ url=www.google.com ]Like this[ /url ]

Without spaces, bam!

Haushinka

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2008, 07:06:11 PM »

In my city you will hear sentences as such "oh, he willnae dae that"

"willnae"= willn't.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

preferpencil

• if sharks didn't have rows of teeth, then what?
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2008, 02:58:06 PM »

Grammar and words themselves change all the time. Read something from the 1600's that hasn't been translated and see what happens...

I mostly get irritated with advertisements.

"chewphoria" or any bastard that adds "phoria" on the end of their chosen product---dammit. Gets on my nerves.

"But it's never too late for the poetry of regret."--lee upton

Lakayla

« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2008, 05:46:37 PM »

Anyways (with an S) is not a word
That one really irks me

It's anyway, people! No S

Andy Pants

• I'm a Roman Candle, my head is full of flames.
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »

Normalcy!

This is an American invention.

What the hell is wrong with saying normality like the rest of the english speaking world?
reality doesn't give a damn about our plans.

Quote from: Henry Rollins
Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

dangerpants

« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »

Normalcy!

This is an American invention.

What the hell is wrong with saying normality like the rest of the english speaking world?

Because Warren G Harding was a bad ass. I mean, check out his awesome eyebrows!

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2008, 09:56:13 PM »

...also because normalcy and normality are not the same thing.
Similar, yes, but not the same.

Andy Pants

« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2008, 09:58:22 PM »

...also because normalcy and normality are not the same thing.
Similar, yes, but not the same.

Can you give me a proper definition. Everytime I've heard the word 'normalcy' it could just as easily have been substituted for 'normality'.

Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2008, 10:11:10 PM »

Well, according to my Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary (Fully Revised and Updated,
as of about ten years years ago)....

normalcy - The quality or condition of being normal, as the general economic, political, and social
conditions of a nation...

As long as your audience knows you're talking about the conditions of your nation (or the world, or your
neighborhood...) you could use either world.  However, if your audience is the sort to misunderstand,
accidentally or not...  suppose you say "normality" to a crowd of Evangelical Christian activists...
You wind up with an argument over which of your particular deviancies is "normal".

If the word makes you unhappy, don't use it.  I suspect a person could do just fine without ever
talking about "normalcy."

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2008, 07:50:37 PM »

Someone performed a normalectomy on me in my sleep when I was a wee tyke.

Haushinka

« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2008, 07:51:43 PM »

And man did it work, W.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2008, 07:53:41 PM »

Someone performed a normalectomy on me in my sleep when I was a wee tyke.
Normalitism is sooooooo overrated...  O0

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2008, 05:19:50 AM »

Is it bollocks overrated - I love normality. Makes you feel like you belong, and gives you a reason to look down on other people which, no matter how much they deny it, every one loves.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2008, 01:43:49 AM »

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2008, 04:04:47 AM »

Is it bollocks overrated - I love normality. Makes you feel like you belong, and gives you a reason to look down on other people which, no matter how much they deny it, every one loves.
Do not do normal, naturally an outsider and hardly even fit in with the wonderful crowd of freaks that go to a typical Amanda Palmer gig.... thing that annoyed me the other day...... someone had priced up a basket of Dice using the word " Dices "   the singular of Dice is Die...... the plural is dice

@raliel

Haushinka

« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2008, 05:37:07 PM »

Do not do normal, naturally an outsider and hardly even fit in with the wonderful crowd of freaks that go to a typical Amanda Palmer gig.... thing that annoyed me the other day...... someone had priced up a basket of Dice using the word " Dices "   the singular of Dice is Die...... the plural is dice
But that makes you so un-normal (I don't feel the word abnormal is the right word here) that you actually are normal- seeing as Die is the correct way to be phrasing it. This person clearly nevr did Primary three- you know, that year where you learn the meaning of the word "Ajar" and strange Plurals.

And you fit in just fine here. You fill a void that would leave this place so empty otherwise.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2008, 03:11:56 AM »

aww thanks! I have not been creative enough of late though, and getting post Brigade trauma

@raliel

Haushinka

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »

Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »

"would of", "could of", "should of", "irregardless", "a whole nother" and "all of the sudden" make me want to choke someone non-erotically.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2008, 02:30:37 AM »

the  whole build up to doing something creative and interactive ( Roundhouse, Edinburgh, Koko etc ) and then the void that it leaves in me when it is all done with...... Hopefully we will not have to wait too long for another opportunity.

@raliel

AnnaBeck

• I'm the Agatha Christie of punkrock muffucker
    • Anna A. Fungus
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2008, 05:32:05 AM »

"would of", "could of", "should of", "irregardless", "a whole nother" and "all of the sudden" make me want to choke someone non-erotically.

i believe i've said something like that, forgive my shitty grammar. please  :embarassed:
I imagine all the people

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2008, 12:10:59 PM »

"null and void" isn't too bad, but it's redundant.

Haushinka

« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »

"would of", "could of", "should of

GRAGRAGGGGRAAARGH! HAVE HAVE HAVE YOU FUCKERS! THE WORD IS FUCKING HAVE!
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2008, 03:34:53 PM »

Null & Void are definitions, in coding languages.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »

Null & Void are definitions, in coding languages.
...also legalese.  Lawyers gotta have their special terms.

Shakti

« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »

I thought that in proper British English it was would have done, could have done, should have done; only we rebels even abbreviate to would have, could have, should have (or, more likely, coulda, shoulda, woulda).

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »

I thought that in proper British English it was would have done, could have done, should have done; only we rebels even abbreviate to would have, could have, should have (or, more likely, coulda, shoulda, woulda).
That would depend on the verb you're using...

If it's "to do", then would have done etc...

If it's.... fly => would have flown...

shop?  would have shopped...

Shakti

« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2008, 10:09:50 PM »

OK, OK, how 'bout from what I've heard, Brits provide the entire verb phrase, rather than letting the helping verbs try to stand on their own...that work for you?

Haushinka

« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2008, 10:12:01 PM »

OK, OK, how 'bout from what I've heard, Brits provide the entire verb phrase, rather than letting the helping verbs try to stand on their own...that work for you?

Britz don't do nuffink, you got that mayte?
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2008, 10:30:03 PM »

Hmmm....  I'm not certain what you mean, but I'm certain that Brits make grammatical
and syntax errors just like the rest of us.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2008, 12:01:20 AM »

They are worse than we are.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2008, 03:28:54 AM »

no we aint!

@raliel

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2008, 06:46:26 AM »

We're about a hundred times better, because if we fuck up we can just turn round and say, "Sod you, it was our language first, we can do what we want with it." XD

matt james

• Matt James Photography
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2008, 07:29:53 AM »

I don't know if these have been mentioned or not, I can't be bothered reading all 10 pages.. lol.

"yous", you is the plural of you! It really irks me when people say yous.
"writ", instead of wrote or written.
"sweeped"
"catched"

Umm.. can't think of anymore.

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2008, 07:37:47 AM »

'brang' is not a word. Like when someone says they 'brang' something with them.
It's not a word.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

McMullet

• All things bright and beauti-
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2008, 08:36:01 AM »

I think it was more of a dialectical thing than ignorance, but it's very common where I live to reverse the meanings of lend and borrow. As in, "Can I lend some money off [sic] you?" "Will you borrow me a pound?"

Bad form as it is, I must confess a certain fondness for such things, especially the phrase, "That'll learn you."

Then there's confusing "ado" and "adieu" (for which, see the News forum).
Like slack-jawed never Gnyaarg. Some then folks'll folks'll skunk, some. the but, again Yokel eat a Cletus.
Happy Dog loves to play fetch with a boy named Timmy! Timmy is Happy Dog's best friend. Timmy is made out of meat. Your whole family is made out of meat.

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2008, 11:32:02 PM »

"Are you joking me?"

"I need to itch a spot on my back."

Shakti

« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »

Corporate-speak is full of them.  My current pet peeve is "learnings".

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »

'brang' is not a word. Like when someone says they 'brang' something with them.
It's not a word.
Nor is "brung". That makes me want to hurt kittens.

Technically, "learnings" is a word. It just sounds ugly. It's similar to "earnings" or "winnings" or "goings-on".

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2008, 04:53:42 PM »

In a related sentiment:
BINGO

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2008, 05:49:47 PM »

Haha, yeah. That and, "He got mad and started choking the other guy."

Really? He shoved something down his throat and choked him?

dangerpants

« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »

choke
   /tʃoʊk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [chohk]
verb, choked, chok⋅ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1.    to stop the breath of by squeezing or obstructing the windpipe; strangle; stifle.

Andy Pants

« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2008, 07:59:25 PM »

Stick-to-it-ism

Or even better.

Stick-to-it-ive-ness.

If you say things like this you are probably retarded.

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2008, 08:58:22 PM »

choke
   /tʃoʊk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [chohk]
verb, choked, chok⋅ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1.    to stop the breath of by squeezing or obstructing the windpipe; strangle; stifle.

Huh, what do ya know. Thanks, hah.

Shakti

« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2008, 11:05:41 PM »

Technically, "learnings" is a word.

Bullshit.
learning
Function: noun
Date: before 12th century
1 : the act or experience of one that learns
2 : knowledge or skill acquired by instruction or study
3 : modification of a behavioral tendency by experience (as exposure to conditioning)
synonyms see knowledge

We do not speak of "knowledges," we speak of fields of knowledge; we should not speak of learnings, but of lessons learned.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2008, 11:16:33 PM »

Technically, "learnings" is a word.

Bullshit.
learning
Function: noun
Date: before 12th century
1 : the act or experience of one that learns
2 : knowledge or skill acquired by instruction or study
3 : modification of a behavioral tendency by experience (as exposure to conditioning)
synonyms see knowledge

We do not speak of "knowledges," we speak of fields of knowledge; we should not speak of learnings, but of lessons learned.
Even so, in the most basic of senses, any singular noun (gerund, participle or otherwise) can be made plural, whether or not its usage is common or stylistically advantageous.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »

Stick-to-it-ism

Or even better.

Stick-to-it-ive-ness.

That, or you just like making up words. I always feel like a goon on this thread (I should probably stop coming on here... xD) because not only is my grammar/spelling AWFUL, but I make up words all the time and use them like they're real. In my view, language is something that's personal to the user, and as long as they feel they're expressing themself how they want to then it's ok. Obviously, I wouldn't speak the same way in a job interview as I would with my friends, but... Ok, I have no way of finishing that sentence. I think my brain just switched off when I was half way through typing it.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »

Stick-to-it-ism

Or even better.

Stick-to-it-ive-ness.

That, or you just like making up words. I always feel like a goon on this thread (I should probably stop coming on here... xD) because not only is my grammar/spelling AWFUL, but I make up words all the time and use them like they're real. In my view, language is something that's personal to the user, and as long as they feel they're expressing themself how they want to then it's ok. Obviously, I wouldn't speak the same way in a job interview as I would with my friends, but... Ok, I have no way of finishing that sentence. I think my brain just switched off when I was half way through typing it.
I had a textbook back in teacher-school that said for a teacher to interact effectively with
teenage students, the teach had to display "with-it-ness"...

I guess it's true:  those who can, do...  those who can't, teach...  and those who can't teach
write textbooks for teachers.

Dejah Thoris

• Don't know what I want but I know how to get it
  • evolution is coming
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2009, 04:12:51 PM »

Since we have a dream thread, this one has been getting on my nerves:

Reoccuring.  Not a word.  The correct word is "Recurring."

While we're at it:

Irregardless.  That's redundant.  You're pretty much saying, "Regardful," which is also not a word.  The correct word is, "Regardless."

Anything else you'd like to add?

alot
infront
infact
otherhand
partway
bestfriends
everynight
everytime
moreso
eachother
atleast
afterall
noone
aswell
inbetween
ontop
thankyou

anytime and any time are not interchangeable; neither are anyone and any one

favorite mixed-up phrases:

case and point for case in point
one in the same for one and the same
for all intensive purposes for for all intents and purposes

and fairly common misspelled words:

in a similar vain
that really peaked my interest
he's not a musician, per say

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2009, 04:16:39 PM »

I know it's a word, but I have real issues with "envision". That and "envisage". They're just ugly, ugly words.

Dejah Thoris

• Don't know what I want but I know how to get it
  • evolution is coming
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2009, 04:26:19 PM »

I know it's a word, but I have real issues with "envision". That and "envisage". They're just ugly, ugly words.

If they're ugly, fuck 'em!  I'm all for making up your own words, anyway.  And, infact (heh), some people can get away with using the wrong words and other people can't.  I know it's not fair, but that's just the way it is.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2009, 07:24:30 PM »

That's pretty common in America; even I do it (we say it like "nooggit"). If I'm actually paying attention, though, I'll say it properly.

"writ", instead of wrote or written.
Technically, "writ" can be used as the past participle of "write", but that usage is rather archaic. Now it's mostly used as a noun which means "a written order".

Furthermore, I don't know of anyone who has made this mistake, but it seems likely that someone has:
It is spell "participle", not "particible" or any other variation.

Also, I really hate it when people say "past" in the place of "passed".

• Holding out for a
  • Don't be afraid of the dark ages darling...
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »

I have a friend who says 'presumptive' instead of 'presumptious'. It drives me insane.
What a fucking thunder cunt thing to say.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »

I have a friend who says 'presumptive' instead of 'presumptious'. It drives me insane.
Wiktionary seems to think "presumptive" is a word, but I'm not so sure...

Also, the word is "presumptuous".

EDIT: I have reason to believe that "presumptive" is a word.
But I kinda understand why it drives you insane.

• Holding out for a
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »

Sorry, my hands naturally typed 'tious' as it is alot more common that 'tuous'
Doe 'presumptive' mean the same thing?

marie_x

• lovefool
  • <3
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »

insinuative

alright is also NOT a word
trust me, he's no valentine. though he said he would be mine, his heart is in alaska all the time.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »

It is, in fact, a word.  It just depends on when you use it while writing, as it's more of a colloquial term.  Now, if you want to say you do not like the fact that it is a word, then that's fine, but it is a word.

Alright, definition.

marie_x

• lovefool
  • <3
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »

It is, in fact, a word.  It just depends on when you use it while writing, as it's more of a colloquial term.  Now, if you want to say you do not like the fact that it is a word, then that's fine, but it is a word.

Alright, definition.

Excuse my wrong-ness. Haha, yes, it is informally and widely used, I will accept that.
trust me, he's no valentine. though he said he would be mine, his heart is in alaska all the time.

Rob

• Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2009, 08:38:15 PM »

I heard a radio announcer say, "conversate" the other day.
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »

It can mean "presumptuous" or "presumed", as in "a presumed/presumptive course of action" or "a presumptive person".

• Holding out for a
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2009, 08:52:37 PM »

It can mean "presumptuous" or "presumed", as in "a presumed/presumptive course of action" or "a presumptive person".
Thanks.
Though it's still going to aggravate me when she says it...

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:59 PM »

Thanks.
Though it's still going to aggravate me when she says it...
Similar but not the same....

Presumptuous refers to an inappropriate assumption about something.
-That guy who brought a box of condoms on the first date?  Presumptuous...

Presumptive suggests a reasonable assumption, but one that hasn't been confirmed "officially"...
-The guy who's been the owner's right-hand man for the last 20 years?  Since the boss is 90
 years old and has said he'll retire soon, that guy's the presumptive new boss.

Short version: 
"presumptive" - fair assumption,  "presumptuous" - bad assumption.

also....
INSINUATIVE - a word (actually, a pretty cool one, imho.)

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2009, 11:56:51 AM »

i really dislike when people say
"aluminum"
"cousint" (possibly a dialect thing for cousin)

and when people leave out t's or h's
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2009, 02:11:53 PM »

i really dislike when people say
"aluminum"

That's actually the standard spelling/pronunciation in America... 

I say al-yoo-min-ium when I want to sound pretentious.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »

I know it's the proper American word, but here it is aluminium, and anything other pisses me off.

YOU BUTCHERED THE LANGUAGE!!
lol.

marie_x

• lovefool
  • <3
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2009, 03:22:38 PM »

oh, aggravate and irritate are commonly confused.

aggravate does not mean to be angered or annoyed, it means to make worse.

irritate means to be annoyed. :)

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2009, 05:39:01 PM »

my dad gets seriously annoyed when people say presently when they mean at present. He gets so angry haha

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »

my dad gets seriously annoyed when people say presently when they mean at present. He gets so angry haha
You're dad's full of crap. While "presently" usually means "in the immediate future", using it to mean "at present" is perfectly acceptable.

But when you see people using "momentarily" ("for a moment") when they should be using "presently" ("in a moment"), hit them.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »

Well, presently means in the near future, and at present means now. They mean quite different things.

old news

« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2009, 07:48:35 PM »

and a present is something you give out at birthdays...

I love how pedantic English as a language can be. I don't tend to say 'presently', and rarely say 'at present', preferring 'currently', 'at the moment', 'at this time', 'right now' and so forth. I am always impressed at the diversity of expression available.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »

yeah, but it can also be quite constricting.
Some languages are really poetic, but I don't think English is one of them. There are some beautiful words, but sometimes it just doesn't flow as well as other languages.

*off topic*

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »

...and a gift is like a present, but in German, it means poison...

...and in French poisson is fish...

So remember people, don't give poisonous fish for people's birthdays.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2009, 10:50:52 AM »

So what?  No blow fish for you, Cee?  Fine, I'll just give it to somebody who can appreciate it more.  ~_^

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2009, 04:15:53 PM »

So what?  No blow fish for you, Cee?  Fine, I'll just give it to somebody who can appreciate it more.  ~_^
Just to be on the safe side, you may distribute ANY sushi intended for me to some other person.

Twice Belladonna

• I cut off my hair and went to sleep.
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »

ain't.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2009, 12:25:12 PM »

It kinda annoys me when English people say things like
"mouf" and just generally using f instead of th.

Also, a'riiii pisses me off (alright without any of the important letters)

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »

Well, if we're digressing to "words that people consistently misuse"....

Everyone who ALWAYS says jealous when they really mean envious, and vice versa, raise your hands...

Um, the rest of you probably should too, since just about everyone does it.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »

Well, presently means in the near future, and at present means now. They mean quite different things.
Yes, but "presently" means "now" as well as "in the near future".

Well, if we're digressing to "words that people consistently misuse"....

Everyone who ALWAYS says jealous when they really mean envious, and vice versa, raise your hands...

Um, the rest of you probably should too, since just about everyone does it.
Now that you mention it, yes, I do that. I'll make a point not to in the near future.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »

#@!

#@!

dangerpants

« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2009, 02:44:39 PM »

The Boston accent kinda annoys me.

Pahk the cah in Hahvahd yahd... yer a wicked losah...

IT'S JUST AN R. IT'S NOT TOO HARRRRRD TO PRONOUNCE. aaaaaargh.

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2009, 04:11:07 PM »

Achscastleplent!

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2009, 06:56:16 PM »

[ahem]
cheese-food

This is redundant.  Cheese is food.  If you have to add that hyphenation, the substance in question
probably isn't actually food at all...   Sorry CC.

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2009, 11:02:24 AM »

The Boston accent kinda annoys me.

Pahk the cah in Hahvahd yahd... yer a wicked losah...

IT'S JUST AN R. IT'S NOT TOO HARRRRRD TO PRONOUNCE. aaaaaargh.

I have to agree. The accent just seems...lazy. It's not too difficult to enunciate consonants, is it?

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2009, 11:06:22 AM »

haha I kinda like the Boston accent.
Just because here, it's TH and T and basically the ending of most words that aren't pronounced.

"So wha'?"
"De" (the)

Also here we say things like "usen't"
There is another really retarded thing that they say here but I can't remember what it is.

dweezil

« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2009, 09:06:44 AM »

Also here we say things like "usen't"
There is another really retarded thing that they say here but I can't remember what it is.

Haha oh god to many non-words in this country. For example "thrun", the past tense of throw apparently - She thrun the ball at me.
My bloggy about life and cake

http://breathingandbaking.blogspot.com

MerelyMarquis

• Are you satisfied?
    • My blog
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2009, 09:08:06 AM »

Horrid. Although I do use it from time to time.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »

lol. I've never heard that.
I've heard people use quare as an alternative for very, though.

MerelyMarquis

• Are you satisfied?
    • My blog
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »

Really? Haha, never heard that either. xD

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »

I think it's mainly used in the south, in Carlow and Limerick and those types of places.
I have a cousin from Carlow and friends in Limerick and I have heard people from both places saying quare. :)

VipersGratitude

• The "fuck you" me
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »

It's roots are in ulster-scots
var meaningOfLife:int = 13.37*Math.PI;

if( meaningOfLife != 42 ) LifeManager.dispatchEvent(new LifeEvent(LifeEvent.END));

MerelyMarquis

• Are you satisfied?
    • My blog
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2009, 06:52:13 PM »

I think it's mainly used in the south, in Carlow and Limerick and those types of places.
I have a cousin from Carlow and friends in Limerick and I have heard people from both places saying quare. :)

I hope I catch somebody saying it in Cork. We go there every Summer to see relatives. <3

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2009, 10:50:49 PM »

http://dictionary.reference.com/dic?q=horrid&search=search

Are we so low on words that are not words, that we're now using words that are, in fact, words?

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2009, 12:33:15 AM »

I hope I catch somebody saying it in Cork. We go there every Summer to see relatives. <3

It's roots are in ulster-scots

Really?  That seems backward to me...

Shouldn't the Scots-originated terminology be more prevalent in the north?
(Seriously, I'm curious about Scotland/Ireland migrations going back...  oh, 1600 years or so, and this seems off no matter what the time-frame.)

MerelyMarquis

• Are you satisfied?
    • My blog
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2009, 07:09:05 AM »

Are we so low on words that are not words, that we're now using words that are, in fact, words?

Horrid's been made a word? I feel the sky hitting my head.. D:

VipersGratitude

• The "fuck you" me
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »

Really?  That seems backward to me...

Shouldn't the Scots-originated terminology be more prevalent in the north?
(Seriously, I'm curious about Scotland/Ireland migrations going back...  oh, 1600 years or so, and this seems off no matter what the time-frame.)

It is more prevalent in the North. I've heard it many times from many different people.
var meaningOfLife:int = 13.37*Math.PI;

if( meaningOfLife != 42 ) LifeManager.dispatchEvent(new LifeEvent(LifeEvent.END));

hateandjealousy

• cow punk.
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »

hubich.
I've got torn up knees and calloused fingertips,
broken vocal chords and busted lips.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »

my social studies teacher kept saying "biasness" the other day, and I just wanted to slap her.
Not too sure if it was cos she kept saying biasness though.

Also, on tv, there's this woman and she always says "acceptable" but pronounces the c's as s's. It really annoys me haha.

EDIT: FIXED!

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: April 27, 2009, 01:31:35 AM »

Also, on tv, there's this woman and she always says "acceptable" but pronounces the c's and s's. It really annoys me haha.
What S?

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #213 on: April 27, 2009, 09:48:55 AM »

Also, on tv, there's this woman and she always says "acceptable" but pronounces the c's and s's. It really annoys me haha.
What S?

Sorry :embarassed:

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: April 27, 2009, 12:19:54 PM »

What S?

Young lady, have you been drinking again?

Didn't your parents tell you? ...only on days ending in Y....

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »

What S?

Young lady, have you been drinking again?

Didn't your parents tell you? ...only on days ending in Y....

My parents are the type to give me alcohol. not in a "be an alcoholic" kinda way, just in a "respect alcohol, here" kinda way.

(all days end in Y ;))

Niels

• Shadows stuffed with organs
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2009, 02:14:45 PM »

It's been a word since 1580... how old are you exactly?

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2009, 10:15:41 PM »

It's been a word since 1580... how old are you exactly?
Well, we're not supposed to know, but I suppose since it's just us Shadowboxers here...

MM was born in 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel....   :o

bec

« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2009, 08:13:20 AM »

is 'unorganised' a word? I hear so many people say it... I think it should be disorganised. maybe?

also, I hate it when people use "accidently" or "incidently" in typing. -ally is your friend.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »

is 'unorganised' a word? I hear so many people say it...

I think it should be disorganised. maybe?
Webster's says it is...

They suggest that "unorganized" is more a state of being (my book collection is unorganized)...
while "disorganized" suggests a state of operation/function (my business is disorganized).

In my view, there's a lot of room for overlap there.

also, I hate it when people use "accidently" or "incidently" in typing. -ally is your friend.
Hear hear...

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #220 on: May 06, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »

counsel when describing the thingie between the front seats in a car.

epitaph when talking about a racial slur.

Things I learned while preparing to make fun of Indie for using extortionate wrongly:  e.g., "extortionate amounts of tea.":

extortionate, in its secondary sense, does indeed mean exorbitant

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #221 on: May 06, 2009, 01:23:39 PM »

my mum says "demeana" for "demeanour" which annoys me a little.

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »

Probably have been said, but i'm lazy.

"axe"-ing questions

and "ex"caping.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #223 on: May 06, 2009, 03:58:06 PM »

omg, pliwood, that really irritates me too.

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
« Reply #224 on: May 06, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »

omg, pliwood, that really irritates me too.

I suppose that "ex"caping might work if you were running away from a previous lover.

Now I feel like a cryptoquip, haha.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2009, 04:26:51 PM »

ahhh that made me laugh entirely too much xD

bec

« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2009, 09:03:58 AM »

is 'unorganised' a word? I hear so many people say it...

I think it should be disorganised. maybe?
Webster's says it is...

They suggest that "unorganized" is more a state of being (my book collection is unorganized)...
while "disorganized" suggests a state of operation/function (my business is disorganized).

In my view, there's a lot of room for overlap there.

Hear hear...

ah, thanks for that. I'll probably still cringe when I hear my best friend saying she's so unorganised, even though she's technically correct.

not really on topic, but I hate it when people misuse semi colons. especially if it's obvious they've just put one in a sentence because they want to seem more intelligent, but ultimately end up looking stupid.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2009, 01:15:47 PM »

not really on topic, but I hate it when people misuse semi colons. especially if it's obvious they've just put one in a sentence because they want to seem more intelligent, but ultimately end up looking stupid.
Commas are good too.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »

Commas are good, too.

Agreed.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2009, 01:27:44 PM »

Commas are good, too.

Agreed.
Using a comma there would be pretentious.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2009, 01:47:55 PM »

Commas are good, too.

Agreed.
Using a comma there would be pretentious.

Oh, fuck.  My secret is out, again.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »

I don't like when people use "of" instead of "have"

"I would of, but..."
Maybe that's right, because so many people use it but it annoys me a bit lol

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #232 on: May 11, 2009, 02:34:04 PM »

It's not right, but I do it all the time >.<

See I quite like things like saying "of" instead of "have", or "wasn't" instead of "weren't" or whatever. I mean when it's like a part of the dialect thing, like it is round here - it's just sort of... what people say, you know? I dunno, I quite dig it. But then I just like hearing people fuck about with words a bit xD

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
« Reply #233 on: May 23, 2009, 09:05:01 PM »

Doesn't really count, but people around here say words that end in "-ing" like they end "-ign". It's a bit hard to explain.

I actually find it quite cute.  :-X

freddieismyqueen

• My DeviantArt Page.
« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2009, 04:53:37 AM »

This is one that annoys the hell out of me, thank you for mentioning it! I was in a production of "A Little Night Music" recently and one of the girls in the show consistently said, "Irregardless of their matrimonial obligations" instead of "regardless of..." I would cringe every single time that line was uttered.

I also hate when people say, "I'm OCD." That doesn't make sense! You are NOT Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, that's just silly. You may HAVE OCD, but you are not OCD.
"An actress can only play a woman. I am an actor. I can play anything." -Bette Davis

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2009, 12:44:18 PM »

This is one that annoys the hell out of me, thank you for mentioning it! I was in a production of "A Little Night Music" recently and one of the girls in the show consistently said, "Irregardless of their matrimonial obligations" instead of "regardless of..." I would cringe every single time that line was uttered.
Webster's says it's a word, but "nonstandard"...   representing an intensification of the
absense of "regard" for the matter at hand.

snowman

« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2009, 09:24:09 PM »

i know in the texting world people use shortcuts, but please, if you really love me you wouldn't ily me.
I got a text from my wife...and haven't text back yet. Better go get some credit...

Andy Pants

« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2009, 11:50:25 PM »

This isn't a word so much as a phrase, but people who say 'are you joking me'. THE EXPRESSION IS 'ARE YOU KIDDING ME'. Are you fucking retarded?

freddieismyqueen

• My DeviantArt Page.
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2009, 11:56:18 PM »

Webster's says it's a word, but "nonstandard"...   representing an intensification of the

It still makes me unhappy. People consistently misusing a word make it acceptable. Yuck.

I think what annoyed me about this girl more, however, was that that was not the written line in the script...and she even said it while holding the book in her hand. It was horrible.
"An actress can only play a woman. I am an actor. I can play anything." -Bette Davis

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2009, 08:25:05 AM »

"Obligated". Again, like "envision", I know it's a word. But "obliged" is so much better!

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »

"Obligated". Again, like "envision", I know it's a word. But "obliged" is so much better!
...but it doesn't mean the same thing...

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »

*is stupid* Does it not? Surely it means enough of the same thing for me to be pissed at it?

Can I be pissed at it for being an ugly word then?

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2009, 07:07:32 PM »

*is stupid* Does it not? Surely it means enough of the same thing for me to be pissed at it?

Permission granted.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2009, 03:22:36 PM »

Permission granted.

Thank you, Word Lord. Which, funnily enough, doesn't rhyme like it ought to.

marie_x

• lovefool
  • <3
« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2009, 03:49:11 PM »

"Jamboree" is a gross word.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2009, 05:11:23 AM »

moist is a repugnant word

@raliel

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2009, 05:22:24 AM »

As is repugnant.

They're both words, though.

☑✝
☒♀+cake

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2009, 05:25:13 AM »

true.........can this thread become "things that might be words that we do not really like"

@raliel

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2009, 07:23:52 AM »

Yes, yes it can. I quite like "moist" and "repugnant", but only because they express absolutely perfectly the situation you're trying to describe, you know? They're like onomatopoeia (which yes, I spelt first time xD *proud* ) only not quite.

Another word I HATE is "dour". No idea how to say it, and no desire to use it.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »

Yes, yes it can. I quite like "moist" and "repugnant", but only because they express absolutely perfectly the situation you're trying to describe, you know? They're like onomatopoeia (which yes, I spelt first time xD *proud* ) only not quite.

Dour is a great word....  Think Ken Branaghhhhh as King Henry (when he's in a foul mood).   >:(

Andy Pants

« Reply #250 on: May 30, 2009, 12:07:27 AM »

People who say 'doubly' as oposed to 'twice as' sound like idiots.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: May 30, 2009, 12:47:17 AM »

There is a shade of difference....  If you are ever going to be a great wordsmith, you must learn
never to discard a tool simply because you have not yet encountered a circumstance wherein it
is the appropriate one to use.

Andy Pants

« Reply #252 on: May 30, 2009, 12:48:46 AM »

There is a shade of difference....  If you are ever going to be a great wordsmith, you must learn
never to discard a tool simply because you have not yet encountered a circumstance wherein it
is the appropriate one to use.

If I were writing a book and I wanted to make a character sound like an idiot, I would make them use this word.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #253 on: May 30, 2009, 02:24:10 AM »

that would also make you look like an idiot, only doubly so

@raliel

Andy Pants

« Reply #254 on: May 30, 2009, 02:57:59 AM »

Do you see what I mean? It's so awkward and unecessary.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #255 on: May 30, 2009, 03:00:29 AM »

no... that is just the way I talk!......

@raliel

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #256 on: May 30, 2009, 07:16:27 AM »

Dour is a great word....  Think Ken Branaghhhhh as King Henry (when he's in a foul mood).   >:(

I thought it was well-known, Cee - The Bran Man is exempt from such things. He is super and is always super, it's like the Law. And as the campaign grows in strength and power, we're getting closer and closer to that glorious day when He shall be crowned King Kenneth I of England and can make the unspoken law not just spoken, but screamed from the rooftops as we wave our St George flags (henceforth known as "St Ken flags") maniacally and gush iambicpentameterly about the gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh that is....

KING KENNETH OF BRANAGH!

I hate the word "bubbly", as in the sentence, "Hiya! My name's Kayleigh, I'm 23 years old, I'm a hairdresser from Bromley and I'm out-going, a bit mad (*insane giggle*) and bubbly!" because, as we all know, this sentence translates into English as, "Hello. My name is disgusting, I'm old enough to know better and I am vile, obnoxious, cheap, nasty and yet simultaneously the most boring person you've ever met. I am also likely to drink 12 pints of lager on the trot and then kick the shit out of some girl for looking at me funny."

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »

Do you see what I mean? It's so awkward and unecessary.

Now stop and consider...  Assuming one agrees with AR's general sentiment, which I do, and one
wished to make that statement.  One could say:

"That would also make you look like an idiot, only twice as much of one."

Well that's awkward and needlessly wordy.

-or-

"That would also make you look like an idiot, only doubly so."
Ah, much better...  Concise, and phrased as to make the speaker appear a bit more eloquent.  I choose this one!

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2009, 11:09:16 AM »

DOUBLE POST!!!  (Really, just to separate two totally unrelated comments.)

Dear Miss Indja, I wouldn't suggest for a moment that Mister um, King Ken had any substantial
character flaws (beyond the obvious insanity evidenced in his cheating on Emma while they were married, but I'm sure he's fully cured now)....

I simply meant he looked dour as Henry V...

C.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2009, 02:55:11 AM »

anyone who describes their own personality using the words.......zany, bubbly, wacky or cooky..... should be dragged through the streets by their genetalia and pelted with overripe cumquats

@raliel

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2009, 03:00:40 AM »

I think that's kind of harsh...and yet I can't quite bring myself to disagree, either.

☑✝
☒♀+cake

Andy Pants

« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2009, 03:02:40 AM »

Going on a tangent here but has anyone noticed that people who describe themselves as having 'a great sense of humour' are those least likely to have one?

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2009, 03:03:03 AM »

I may have gone too far with the cumquats.......quinces will suffice

@raliel

freddieismyqueen

• My DeviantArt Page.
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2009, 03:06:09 AM »

Going on a tangent here but has anyone noticed that people who describe themselves as having 'a great sense of humour' are those least likely to have one?

Agreement.

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2009, 03:09:49 AM »

Yessssss.

I may have gone too far with the cumquats.......quinces will suffice

Don't even know what they are but it's a pretty annoying sounding word which is kind of sort of (not really) on topic in a way?

☑✝
☒♀+cake

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2009, 03:29:23 AM »

cumquats

quince

@raliel

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #266 on: May 31, 2009, 03:30:54 AM »

I know what the first ones are!!!!
But that is sort of even worse!!

☑✝
☒♀+cake

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2009, 12:26:45 PM »

anyone who describes their own personality using the words.......zany, bubbly, wacky or cooky..... should be dragged through the streets by their genetalia and pelted with overripe cumquats

kooky.... of, like, or pertaining to a kook; eccentric, strange or foolish.  Also kookie. [...but that just looks damn strange now, dunnit?]

...and I agree.  Most people who display these traits are entertaining for about 30 minutes at a
time (at most), not more than once a week, and preferably with ample commercial interruption.

Persons who self-describe with these words should probably be humanely destroyed.  I have to
believe that it isn't really their own fault, but the result of inappropriate upbringing.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #268 on: June 02, 2009, 09:19:16 AM »

DOUBLE POST!!!  (Really, just to separate two totally unrelated comments.)

Dear Miss Indja, I wouldn't suggest for a moment that Mister um, King Ken had any substantial
character flaws (beyond the obvious insanity evidenced in his cheating on Emma while they were married, but I'm sure he's fully cured now)....

I simply meant he looked dour as Henry V...

C.

I suppose he's a little insane. But that's ok! We Angliskis are famed for our eccentricity. Though I admit, cheating on the lovely Emma does beggar belief slightly... But he's the fucking king! He can do what he likes!

Hey, you know the rebellyon ended up with a massive campaign and was in the papers and shit? Do you reckon if I chat on about King Kenneth long enough... xD

marie_x

• lovefool
  • <3
« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2009, 09:24:40 AM »

irregardless

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2009, 07:18:22 PM »

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2009, 07:23:30 PM »

"amn't"
People in this town use it quite a lot.

Sentence: "I'm really quite poor, amn't I?"
It annoys me

Rob

• Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »

Subferior
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »

Subferior

I DIDN'T THINK THAT WAS A WORD! I saw it on a thread a bit ago and was like, whut?? but I didn't like to say anything because I'm almost always wrong about these things.

Not a word!

Wednesday Friday

• they can land that plane on my heart I don't care
    • myspace
« Reply #274 on: June 08, 2009, 10:41:10 PM »

Subferior

I DIDN'T THINK THAT WAS A WORD! I saw it on a thread a bit ago and was like, whut?? but I didn't like to say anything because I'm almost always wrong about these things.

Not a word!

;D totally not a word!

Andy Pants

« Reply #275 on: June 09, 2009, 06:10:29 AM »

If it's good enough for Section 25 it's good enough for me. Next you'll be saying that aenima isn't a word.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #276 on: July 02, 2009, 12:09:49 PM »

It's getting worse out there. 

Everyday I become more discouraged, aswell as during other someodd moments.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #277 on: January 04, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »

it doesn't bother me, but people sometimes add a 'h' when they're saying height. like, heighth. it's odd, i don't know why.

also, double negatives bother me a little when they're used to try and convey something positive.

stallionbreaker

• whose real name is Anna
  • Après moi le deluge
« Reply #278 on: January 04, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »

it doesn't bother me, but people sometimes add a 'h' when they're saying height. like, heighth. it's odd, i don't know why.
Ohh. That DOES bother me. There's another one like that... it'll come to me.
you're obviously not gonna die,
so why not take your chances and try?

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: January 04, 2010, 01:44:49 PM »

also, double negatives bother me a little when they're used to try and convey something positive.
I'll admit that I can't document it right away, but I have a suspicion that
"heighth" is a linguistic artifact, and that it may once have been the proper
form, in line with "depth" and "width"...

Just a hunch.

peppamintdynamo

• hatmister
  • suddenly I'm miss beehive 1963
« Reply #280 on: January 04, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »

I'll admit that I can't document it right away, but I have a suspicion that
"heighth" is a linguistic artifact, and that it may once have been the proper
form, in line with "depth" and "width"...

Just a hunch.

Yeah, I think you're right.

HeatherRoseStudios

• ...and russia was a candy store...
    • HeatherRose Studios
« Reply #281 on: January 04, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »

Coupon.

it's spelled like a word, but the way i say it, my boyfriend always yells at me and says "That's not a word!"...  ("Qupon" "Kyoopon" lol)he's an english major... so he gets annoyed with things i say all the time.

also i hate when people say things in real life they way you would text something, as if it's a word. like "OhEmGee".

it's not exactly what the threads about but sort of.... 

Support starving artists, take me to Denny's!

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
« Reply #282 on: January 04, 2010, 02:39:40 PM »

also i hate when people say things in real life they way you would text something, as if it's a word. like "OhEmGee".
This.

Paul Jon

« Reply #283 on: January 04, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »

Using "malus" as the opposite of "bonus"
"Anyways" always annoys me as well; I hear it in the root'nest, toot'nest Gabby Hayes voice imaginable.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #284 on: January 04, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »

Using "malus" as the opposite of "bonus"
...but it is...  in Latin.

MelKilledAFP

• girl anachronism.
    • Us People Are Just Poems
« Reply #285 on: March 29, 2010, 07:31:29 AM »

concretize.. NOT A WORD  if i see it in one more fucking social work report i will go bananas

ie.  we gave him an opportunity to concretize his thoughts and feelings  or .. let's concretize those ideas.. what?? make them into concrete??
I would trade my mind for a windmill
for a boat made of notebook paper not covered by words
(From Windmill.. an unfinished poem by me)

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #286 on: March 29, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »

youse

i.e "are youse guys coming out tonight?"

I hate it. You're a native english speaker, learn the fucking language
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: March 29, 2010, 05:40:09 PM »

youse

i.e "are youse guys coming out tonight?"

I hate it. You're a native english speaker, learn the fucking language
To be fair to those who use the term "youse" and similar contrivances, the English language actually
suffers from a very bothersome deficiency, specifically the lack of a context-independent identifiable
second-person plural pronoun.

You do something...  You did something...  Would you like to do something?...

There's no way, in proper standard English, to determine if those phrases refer to a single individual,
or to a group.  Youse, y'all, you'ns, you guys...  These are all essential improvisations to minimize the
inconvenience brought about by a flaw in the language itself.  I may not accept their use in formal
situations, but in casual conversation, they're nigh indispensable.

• 67 Indja Points
« Reply #288 on: March 29, 2010, 11:53:53 PM »

After a lengthy argument with my brother, I've conceded that "a whole 'nother" can have proper usage, insomuch as its usage to create a colorful depiction of the unwashed masses, but not under the circumstances under which "nother" is assumed to be a word.

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #289 on: April 06, 2010, 08:28:42 PM »

Why make the word cannot if you have can not or do you have to put them together when you use them?

To avoid confusion I use can't.
Christine O'Donnell is just like me. She's a gay left-leaner who masturbates daily.

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #290 on: April 06, 2010, 08:30:51 PM »

Also, I know all these words are real but this is the only thread I could find to ask the question.
Christine O'Donnell is just like me. She's a gay left-leaner who masturbates daily.

stallionbreaker

• whose real name is Anna
  • Après moi le deluge
« Reply #291 on: April 09, 2010, 04:29:44 PM »

When they're next to one another, can and not are properly combined into cannot. Unless it's a case where you're emphasizing the "can" as in: Well, you CAN not do it, but why wouldn't you want to?

I realize this next complaint is a dialect/accent/pronunciation thing. It bugs me when someone drops the "r" out of "through/threw" and pronounces it as "thoo". That is not a word.
you're obviously not gonna die,
so why not take your chances and try?

cbkof

« Reply #292 on: May 10, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »

Dialogue used as a verb – don't care if it's accepted I HATE it.

Webinar - if you haven't come across this clunker yet, I apologize. Good thing we skipped the phone conferencinar and the emailinar or I might have killed myself by now.

Actionable used by marketing wunderkinder to mean leading to action rather than what it really means: leading to lawsuits. The irony is lost on these fuckwits.
what is Enoch Root? who is Jeff Lint?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different burritos". -- Bob Einstein

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: May 10, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »

Dialogue used as a verb – don't care if it's accepted I HATE it.
related: the verb "to fellowship"....    :violent1:

Rosebud

« Reply #294 on: May 11, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »

I cringe every time someone pronounces “nyoo-kyuh-ler” when trying to say “nuclear”

Hush

• this is where it ends.
« Reply #295 on: July 05, 2010, 07:52:39 AM »

People writing "brought" when they mean "bought". No, you do not BRING CDs/books/sex toys, you BUY them. Gahhh.

Also, I can't stand "youse". And I don't know if people ever do it in English, but some Dutch people tend to use "paranoia" when they mean "paranoïde" (paranoid) and it drives me up the wall. "Don't be so paranoia"? Don't be so retarded, please.

Pliwood180

• Americana, tropicana
« Reply #296 on: July 05, 2010, 08:52:01 AM »

Lately I've heard a lot of people shortening "legitimate" to "legit," which I don't mind, but when they need it in an adverbial form they say, "legitly."

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #297 on: July 05, 2010, 11:12:12 AM »

Gotten.

Pull yourself together, America - "got" is not a naughty word.

Devery