THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 22  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Things that ARE NOT WORDS  (Read 58941 times)

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: Things that ARE NOT WORDS
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 03:13:13 PM »

Conversating.  Not word.  You want, "Conversing."
You know, kids, most words have a base that can be used to form different parts of speech.
For example, the verb to converse gives us a noun, conversation,
and adjectives, conversant and conversational (among other variations).

Please take note:
fellowship - NOT a verb!
conference - NOT a verb.  If you wish, you may "confer" with someone.

reverend - an adjective.  If you wish to describe your pastor, Reverend Mr./Mrs./Ms...[name] or, if
applicable, Reverend Doctor.  I realize this one is a lost cause, but if religion can't be held to an
unattainable ideal, what can?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 03:30:43 PM »

Quote from: devery
Quote from: brittany
Irregardless

You never know about this one.  One day I was listening carefully to a lecture by my Oxford-educated professor, who was always so precise and correct in his speech, when suddenly, out of nowhere (or the trailerpark (~snerk~) or the playground) but out of his mouth came the dreaded and completely unexpected "irregardless".  It rang out and echoed like the apocalypse, mouths hung open in every row from the front to the far back of the auditorium, and yet this - - this scholar - - simply continued on with his lecture, as if nothing at all had happened.

and that is why this thread is fapping. a person can be much more intelligent than you, and use a word you dislike.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »

Irregardless

You never know about this one.  One day I was listening carefully to a lecture by my Oxford-educated professor, who was always so precise and correct in his speech, when suddenly, out of nowhere (or the trailerpark (~snerk~) or the playground) but out of his mouth came the dreaded and completely unexpected "irregardless".  It rang out and echoed like the apocalypse, mouths hung open in every row from the front to the far back of the auditorium, and yet this - - this scholar - - simply continued on with his lecture, as if nothing at all had happened.

and that is why this thread is fapping. a person can be much more intelligent than you, and use a word you dislike.

Actually, irregardless doesn't really bother me at all.  And, depending on the person and context, I sometimes like "me and my girl took it to the back seat" (but never backseat) and "I wonder who's kissing her now? - aww, that little ? can just be the cutest little thing.
"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 04:00:24 PM »

Irregardless

Actually, irregardless doesn't really bother me at all.  And, depending on the person and context, I sometimes like "me and my girl took it to the back seat" (but never backseat) and "I wonder who's kissing her now? - aww, that little ? can just be the cutest little thing.

actually, i was more so talking about everybody else who is physically sick by the usage of the word. it's funny.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »

"It up set her everytime he came over."

A pet peeve:  He was suppose to meet me at the library.

This happens so much that I find myself double-checking to see if I might be wrong on a compound word or hyphenate. I tend to be correct, but the plague is disorienting.

"Suppose to". Hmm. That seems to indicate one of two things. It could be a misunderstanding of the meanings of the words from which one has to choose, or it might just be lazy, phonetics in a world of slurred speech. It is probably the latter. That is why it is important to read bookss. Reading internet posts and unedited blogs just reinforces the confusion. This is one of the reasons I don't find it so petty to critique the deterioration of language we are witnessing these days. Bitchy as it may seem, the corrections do some people a favor. Maybe someone gets a job that wouldn't have, had they not seen a word corrected on some random forum.

As Caddy has said, a person might be very smart and still use improper English. I see that as another reason to correct. Why allow a generation to lose their intelligent people to the gross deterioration of language?
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Musings

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 08:44:37 PM »

I'm finding that my typed grammar is deteriorating as I type more and more (particularly these last few weeks).  I also tend to make up a lot of words, especially nonexistent compounds. 

I'd like to think the reason for the first problem is because I think faster than I type so I'm always rushing my typing a bit in order to get the thought out. As for the second problem -- I say that's poetic license.  *grin*
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

RatsRGods

• Ain't nuthin' wrong, wit a lil bump & grind
    • My Myspace
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »

Okay ya'll. 
This is a little sample of my 13-year old cousins profile on myspace :
(in her defense, she is a really intelligent girl but this is aparently how "the kids" talk on the myspace)

»_x HEy WhASSUP iTS yA GiRl mAuReEN (A.k.A) NaNa.. C0MiN STRAiGHT 0UT dA 216. iM 13 yEARS 0lD. i aM tAKIn RiTE NOw. &&Nd IIm n loVE sO If u TRynA hoLLA i Aint avAilABLe.. yEAH S00 iM PRETTY EASy T0 GET Al0NG WiT. iM CRAZY AS HEll TH0UGH. l0lZ. iM 50%ITALIAN (whiTe) nnD 50% black bUt IIluv Da lations lol i rep ALL dA Way lol . iM iN l0VE WiT Lil waYne. i lUv maH GURlzz &&nd nikkas(ashley,sirena,karrie,man-man,smoothie miix,etc.).[] i lIKE T0 CHiLL WiT MAH FRiENDS. i G0 T0 DENiS0N. [lAME.] BUh yUH kN0....G0TTA GET MAH EdUMACATi0N. l0lZ. i AlWAYS BE TlKiN 0N dA Ph0NE. i hATE PPl Wh0 THiNK THEY RAW. liKE REAllY iF All yUH G0NNA d0 iS TlK SHiT..d0NT EVEN TlK...yUH MAkE yASElF l00K BAd. B0yS Wh0 THiNK THEY CAN d0 WHTEVER THEy WANT WiT DiSZ CHiK..NEEdAH B0UNCE. i AiNT F0R iT. s0 nEwayS im OUTT but YAll HIt ME uP....... -♥YA GURL MAUREEN (A.k.A) NaNa
I do not allow hair to grow on my balls at all. 

RatsRGods

• My Myspace
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »

oh, did i mention i live in cleveland?

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »

»_x HEy WhASSUP iTS yA GiRl mAuReEN (A.k.A) NaNa.. C0MiN STRAiGHT 0UT dA 216. iM 13 yEARS 0lD. i aM tAKIn RiTE NOw. &&Nd IIm n loVE sO If u TRynA hoLLA i Aint avAilABLe.. yEAH S00 iM PRETTY EASy T0 GET Al0NG WiT. iM CRAZY AS HEll TH0UGH. l0lZ. iM 50%ITALIAN (whiTe) nnD 50% black bUt IIluv Da lations lol i rep ALL dA Way lol . iM iN l0VE WiT Lil waYne. i lUv maH GURlzz &&nd nikkas(ashley,sirena,karrie,man-man,smoothie miix,etc.).[] i lIKE T0 CHiLL WiT MAH FRiENDS. i G0 T0 DENiS0N. [lAME.] BUh yUH kN0....G0TTA GET MAH EdUMACATi0N. l0lZ. i AlWAYS BE TlKiN 0N dA Ph0NE. i hATE PPl Wh0 THiNK THEY RAW. liKE REAllY iF All yUH G0NNA d0 iS TlK SHiT..d0NT EVEN TlK...yUH MAkE yASElF l00K BAd. B0yS Wh0 THiNK THEY CAN d0 WHTEVER THEy WANT WiT DiSZ CHiK..NEEdAH B0UNCE. i AiNT F0R iT. s0 nEwayS im OUTT but YAll HIt ME uP....... -♥YA GURL MAUREEN (A.k.A) NaNa

Please tell me she can speak like she has the brain you say she does.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

RatsRGods

• My Myspace
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »

oh yeah, she can turn the ghetto off if need be.  it's her environment.  i grew up the same way, if you talk the "right way" you are made fun of and called a nerd. People will think you are stuck-up.
She's a straight-A student actually.

i'm the same way.   I can sound like somewhat  of an educated person but in a moment change the way I talk.  Especially when I'm pissed off.

My pappy was from west virgina.  He had no teeth, tattoos all over, and sounded like a banjo with his thick accent. He didnt make it past fourth grade and his grammer was definitely off that charts in the "no-no" zone.

But he was one of the smartest men I've ever known. 

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »

... his grammer was definitely off that charts in the "no-no" zone.
How was his spelling?  ;)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

T K

• not a kid anymore
  • Global Moderator
  • Brother, my cup is empty
    • Twilite
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 10:40:50 PM »

heighth is not a word.

The noun form of broad is breadth, the noun form of long is length, and the noun form of wide is width.

Because of this, some people follow the pattern and say heighth, with a th at the end of the word high. That is not standard English. The correct form is height.

Notice the vowel change with an ei. It is not ie because it does not make the long e sound.

RatsRGods

• My Myspace
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 10:41:19 PM »

... his grammer was definitely off that charts in the "no-no" zone.
How was his spelling?  ;)

His knowledge and life experience he passed onto me far outweighs of that trivial stuff...

and I never said I was smart or a good speller , I am just good at pretending to be.  Hollaaaaaaa!

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 11:44:40 PM »

"It up set her everytime he came over."

A pet peeve:  He was suppose to meet me at the library.

As Caddy has said, a person might be very smart and still use improper English. I see that as another reason to correct. Why allow a generation to lose their intelligent people to the gross deterioration of language?

you see it as a reason to correct, but i see it as a reason to say, "seee? words are really just semantics, and it's the meaning behind them that counts, not the spelling." it seems like these days people get so caught up in the words, they forget to see the bigger picture, lose focus, and then lose the meaning behind the what a person was trying to communicate.

really, i just can't see this happening. a person is deeply in the middle of discussing something very important to them with a friend, and ends up using the word "irregardless". would you actually stop the conversation to fix a word, and make them feel stupid? and therefore ruin their moment? i have stopped having serious conversations with people who get tripped up over some of the words i use, because it lets me know how shallow their thinking goes.

Brittany

• agent_smart
  • So bright, it's like redundant to have the sun out
    • myspace
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 09:59:11 PM »

Intervention!!!
Cover it in mustard, clap your hands 3 times, close your eyes and say "Go to the fucking doctor"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 22  All   Go Up