THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 22  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Things that ARE NOT WORDS  (Read 58943 times)

Musings

Re: Things that ARE NOT WORDS
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »

I mean, I'm not the grammar police, and I believe it was Drizz (come back!) who threatened to send someone after me when I said that grammar didn't matter, really, on a format such as this.

I would argue though that words do matter.  Saying that words are just semantics -- semantics, at least in linguistics, are the meanings of words.  So words are just the meanings of words?  That doesn't make sense. 

Here, we are all assuming that everyone is intelligent and although they might say something a certain way that's because they choose to say it that way for one reason or another, and not necessarily because they think that way.  I certainly hope that RatsRGods' cousin doesn't think like that, because that is scary.  But language, on another level, affects thought.  For example, other cultures have different ways of counting and that's reflected in their language.  It has been argued that Western languages allow for more individualistic thought and Eastern languages allow for more community-based thought (although I think this is a stretch).  I think it's a feedback system -- thought affects language (we come up with Google and add that to the dictionary) and then language effects thought (we start expanding the word Google to become a verb that means search).   

It annoys me sometimes when my grammar is corrected, if it is simply the case that I was rushing or didn't care in a place like this.  But if it was honestly that my grammar was incorrect -- well, then, yeah, I'd like to know, because in a small way it's affecting my thinking.
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 10:03:07 PM »

As a kid I was a great speller and that's because all the words had their own shapes and personalities and that was why it was so easy to spell. I'm not saying that my grammar is great but people really need to stop typing in "txt mssg" mode. Fuck! Unlike text messaging, the keyboard can be used by more than your thumbs. So lyk plz stp typn lyk dis unlss its a j/k LOL! nd evryting dosen't have 2 b writn in abbrvtns. Ahem ahem.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »

Alright should be all right, no?

People need to learn how there, their and they're work. Also, the mixing of to and too.

I must admit, I absolutely adore using apostrophes to join words together, which might not always be correct, but I can't help myself.
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 10:30:35 PM »

The correct contraction is a'ight.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 10:36:44 PM »

The correct contraction is a'ight.

;D ;D

Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

Brittany

• agent_smart
  • So bright, it's like redundant to have the sun out
    • myspace
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »

As a kid I was a great speller and that's because all the words had their own shapes and personalities and that was why it was so easy to spell. I'm not saying that my grammar is great but people really need to stop typing in "txt mssg" mode. Fuck! Unlike text messaging, the keyboard can be used by more than your thumbs. So lyk plz stp typn lyk dis unlss its a j/k LOL! nd evryting dosen't have 2 b writn in abbrvtns. Ahem ahem.

people think they're saving time by writing like that, but they really need to turn on the T9.
Cover it in mustard, clap your hands 3 times, close your eyes and say "Go to the fucking doctor"

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2008, 12:35:58 PM »

people think they're saving time by writing like that, but they really need to turn on the T9.

Unfortunately, T9 doesn't know half the words I use... So either I take the time to spell each word, or just call the person. I save chat speak for humorous purposes.

-Ent/-ant words drive me up a wall. It just seems so obvious to me, and yet so many people misspell them. I mean, playa please.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

Brittany

• agent_smart
    • myspace
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2008, 02:07:41 PM »

Unfortunately, T9 doesn't know half the words I use... So either I take the time to spell each word, or just call the person. I save chat speak for humorous purposes.

-Ent/-ant words drive me up a wall. It just seems so obvious to me, and yet so many people misspell them. I mean, playa please.

maybe you're not spelling them the right way... my T9 knows pretty much every word I use, except for names and slang.  Then I add them to the dictionary, and they're there, forevermore.
Cover it in mustard, clap your hands 3 times, close your eyes and say "Go to the fucking doctor"

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »

I'm sorry... T9?

When I see a world in which people have stopped failing, so miserably, to understand each other, I will make some room for the idea of abandoning the structure that allowed great people to be great.  Do we still understand what someone says when they fail to use the correct word, correct spelling, correct punctuation or correct grammar? Sometimes, to varying degrees. Other times, such ineptitude, laziness or disrespect for the language further obfuscates conenctions that were barely effective in the first place. Just "letting it go" will provide bad examples and contribute to the further deterioration of language. It will slowly erase what makes us able to create a world that is as amazing as this.

Fuck that. There little spelling and grammatical errors are among the greatest problems facing our society. The truth is, I don't spend much time on correcting others, but I'm glad someone does.

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2008, 03:23:22 PM »

maybe you're not spelling them the right way... my T9 knows pretty much every word I use, except for names and slang.  Then I add them to the dictionary, and they're there, forevermore.

I promise, right hand up, I am spelling every word right.
Interestingly, my phone (one of the first Razrs) does, when I haven't entered any new letters within fifteen seconds, predict the end of the word and punctuation. I have predictive text turned off, it's just impatient.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »

My phone's T9 doesn't know a number of words I use, which bothers me a bit,
especially when it knows a word, but not the "add -s" plural of that same word.

Also, it knows a lot of non-words...   It suggests options that are neither words
nor stems that could be the beginning of a longer word.  This bothers me because
it says I can't add any more words to the custom dictionary, and I can't remove
the non-words.

Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

85283-071

• M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2008, 04:02:14 AM »

This is quite comprehensive, in terms of usage.

u should of definately looked hear to.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 07:06:54 PM »

I mean, I'm not the grammar police, and I believe it was Drizz (come back!) who threatened to send someone after me when I said that grammar didn't matter, really, on a format such as this.

I would argue though that words do matter.  Saying that words are just semantics -- semantics, at least in linguistics, are the meanings of words.  So words are just the meanings of words?  That doesn't make sense. 

Here, we are all assuming that everyone is intelligent and although they might say something a certain way that's because they choose to say it that way for one reason or another, and not necessarily because they think that way.  I certainly hope that RatsRGods' cousin doesn't think like that, because that is scary.  But language, on another level, affects thought.  For example, other cultures have different ways of counting and that's reflected in their language.  It has been argued that Western languages allow for more individualistic thought and Eastern languages allow for more community-based thought (although I think this is a stretch).  I think it's a feedback system -- thought affects language (we come up with Google and add that to the dictionary) and then language effects thought (we start expanding the word Google to become a verb that means search).   

It annoys me sometimes when my grammar is corrected, if it is simply the case that I was rushing or didn't care in a place like this.  But if it was honestly that my grammar was incorrect -- well, then, yeah, I'd like to know, because in a small way it's affecting my thinking.

semantics don't matter. the meaning behind the words do.

that said, it has been discovered that i am an Anti-Semantic, and my friend is a Grammar Nazi.

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »

that said, it has been discovered that i am an Anti-Semantic, and my friend is a Grammar Nazi.

LOVE IT.

I am dyslexic and thus spent double the amount of time learning how to spell as a child (i still have problems with my TINY keyboard though). Spelling now comes fluently and easily to me, so I absolutely DESPAIR at some of the terrible things the current mixture of dialects in the UK is producing. "Should of" Is something I nag and nag nag nag my little brother about, however my own accent and dialect mean that "should've" does end up sounding like "should of". And trying to make it "shouldive" in my accent makes it sound stupid. Another quirk of the language is the class difference between how the middle and working classes say "I am not". Obviously, this is how the upper class says it, but the middle class says "I'm not" and the (scottish, at east) working class says "I amn't" or "I ain't" (sorry for the brash generalisations).

And the word Ken. ARGH! Ah dae ken!
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

Brittany

• agent_smart
    • myspace
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »

With enough deterioration, the meaning isn't properly conveyed.  That's why grammar is important.  So we all know exactly what we're talking about.  I agree that grammar, itself, has no inherent meaning, and the speaker's intention is of ultimate importance.

I don't see why anyone who has read books and watched t.v., over the years, wouldn't know how to manipulate the language.  I've been called a grammar nazi, but I'm really not.  I use wrong/informal grammar, a lot.  But, gah, some people sound so ignorant, it rubs my fur backwards.  I want to grab them and be like, "Stop!  Stop acting ignorant!  The world isn't going to bend for you, because you were born yesterday and don't want the rules of English to be what they are!  Pay attention!" 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 22  All   Go Up