THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Things that ARE NOT WORDS  (Read 64080 times)

Selanfene

Re: Things that ARE NOT WORDS
« Reply #300 on: July 10, 2010, 03:27:05 AM »

'Sarcass' (as in 'to say sarcastically') isn't a word, but damn it, it should be!

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #301 on: July 13, 2010, 11:19:36 PM »

there was a custodial service in town called "Cleanitize."

No, I'm not kidding.

they were in business for at least a decade. hell, maybe they still are and they just moved their operation to a different location.

#@!

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »

there was a custodial service in town called "Cleanitize."

No, I'm not kidding.

they were in business for at least a decade. hell, maybe they still are and they just moved their operation to a different location.

#@!

The only thing I remember from a visit to a hospital in your neck of the woods a few years ago was a window with a sign over it that read "Cashiering Department".

And......a few more to add to the list:

1.   Eachother is never ever ever under any circumstances a word.  Each is a word.  Other is a word.  They are separate and distinct words.  However, in keeping with the modern trend to combine separate words (usually two adjectives, which each and other both are, such as any and more e.g "do you have anymore cookies?") and to separate single words (such as over rated), even fairly literate folk routinely write "eachother".

2.  For the millionth time, "alot" is still two words.

3.  Deffinetly and deffnantly are much more interesting mispellings of "definitely" than is the more common, but boring, "definately", although my favorite is that old chestnut "defiantly".  If one were to take a gander at the root word, one would be less likely to come up with the wrong spelling, such as convorsation from converse.

4.  A small thing can make a huge difference department:  Someone recently wrote "the hoodies and t-shirts are amazing, and so-so soft for never-yet washed ..."  Now, it's obvious the writer meant that the shirts and hoodies were extremely soft, but instead of saying "so so soft" the person wrote "so-so soft", which means that they were of average softness.  Am I a nit-picker when it comes to this stuff?  Only because I don't find it acceptable to merely be in the ballpark when a more precise meaning is available.     More importantly, the meaning may be clear to the contemporaneous reader, but what about the future reader who must rely on the words themselves and not the context? 

5.  Guessing.  For example, mixing up your and you're.  Their and they're.  Don't guess.  In today's world, the answer is only a few keystrokes away.
"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa

cbkof

« Reply #303 on: October 05, 2010, 10:36:27 AM »

Craptacular marketing-speak for someone who is influential: influencer.

I am now making the sounds of a cat coughing up a fur ball and then vomiting.

Thank you.
what is Enoch Root? who is Jeff Lint?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different burritos". -- Bob Einstein

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #304 on: October 05, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »

The only thing I remember from a visit to a hospital in your neck of the woods a few years ago was
a window with a sign over it that read "Cashiering Department".
It's business jargon, but "to cashier" is an actual verb, useful in its proper context
(and this is its proper context).

(The rest of that is spot-on.) 
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Invisible Queen

• is love
  • Hmm I should write something clever here
    • A friendly blag
« Reply #305 on: September 26, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »

'Sarcass' (as in 'to say sarcastically') isn't a word, but damn it, it should be!
That's no problem, let's just make it a word. Because I like it.

There. It's a word now. A word as real as every other.

Anyone worried if I'm allowed to just decide these things? What kind of authority do I have over which words are real and which are made up? Don't worry, it's okay, I've got a license.

I'm a writer by trade, and I love making up words. Every single example brought up in this thread is at least mildly funny to me, well, not those based on lack of education and effort but those that show a little creativity. I am far more bothered by people using language incorrectly than incorrect language in itself, but perhaps I should explain what I mean by "correct" language here: To me it is correct to approach language with respect, with conscious thought, with care, with patience, with clear intent and a pure heart.

It's a little like a loaded gun except, as the poet observed, "A cannon fires only once, but words detonate across centuries." Language is a big damn responsibility, and it's correct to take it seriously. But that's not to say you can't play around with it, if you know what you're doing.
</soapbox>

Now if I had to say something that's definitely not a word, the first that springs to mind is "MMMBop".
I believe in the future. We can't see it, but we're always touching it.
I believe in humanity. It needs someone to.
And I believe in imagination. If

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #306 on: September 26, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »

^That card is amazing :D I love making up words, usually by merging words, which my sister told me today makes it a 'werge' xD I was talking about how the start of term made me want to drink and she said I needed enthusiasm and vigour, so I said I needed gin and cynicism, or 'ginicism'. It amused me. I also referred to a housemate feud involving kitchen waste as a 'bincident'. I'm easily pleased, I guess.

Most of the time I'm all for made-up words - I guess being raised on Buffy-speak will do that to a girl! But there are certain words that aren't words that annoy me. 'Guesstimate' is one. Also, I stand by my last post on here and maintain that 'gotten' is not a word.

Reptile

« Reply #307 on: September 27, 2012, 07:52:58 AM »

I'll just leave this here...

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Also people who spell espresso as expresso annoy me.

Miss Sahara

« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »

^That card is amazing :D I love making up words, usually by merging words, which my sister told me today makes it a 'werge' xD I was talking about how the start of term made me want to drink and she said I needed enthusiasm and vigour, so I said I needed gin and cynicism, or 'ginicism'. It amused me. I also referred to a housemate feud involving kitchen waste as a 'bincident'. I'm easily pleased, I guess.

i learned there is a word for that: portmanteau! it is, however, only used by people who don't know what a werge is.

also, this thread is potentially dangerous for people like me who are still learning english, so i'm trying to stay out of it for safety reasons  ;)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #309 on: October 05, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »

nukular

Miss Sahara

« Reply #310 on: October 05, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »

well, that's German for 'nucular'  angel

RoRi23

« Reply #311 on: October 05, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »

Nah, we'd put in one or two more vowels to make it look erudite...

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #312 on: October 05, 2012, 10:07:22 PM »

....and maybe umlauts...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Miss Sahara

« Reply #313 on: October 06, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

....and maybe umlauts...

sorry to disappoint you, but when the simpsons made fun of "nucular" they actually used nukular just like that in the german version ;-) if that's enough to make it a word is another question, though

and CeeGBee, you can't fool me with nükülär, my first language is German! but it would certainly be an excellent non-word...

RoRi23

« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2012, 05:26:54 AM »

Well, since German is my first language as well, I was neither aware of the actual use of "nucular", nor of this Simpson episode.

I now feel moderately enlightened ;-)

(Of course the Simsons lose in translation since there is no comparable mispronunciation of nuclear in German and the joke makes no sense - though somehow it's still funny.)

And nükülär looks quite Turkish to me (which I don't speak at all - but they seem to love their umlauts even more than us Germans).
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22  All   Go Up