THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 19  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Weight Loss...  (Read 42631 times)

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
Weight Loss...
« on: May 16, 2008, 07:15:17 PM »

Anybody willing to give a poor fat sack of intelligence some advice on losing weight?

For those of you more experienced in the field:

I'm 15 years of age
approx. 189 pounds in weight
six feet in height
and male.

I don't know... I'm just lookin' for some advice.

Kovacs

Re: Weight Loss...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:22:57 PM »

That doesn't really seem that overweight to me, to be honest. Do you want to actually drop pounds or are you just looking to be more fit? Shawn probably has some good info for the latter, and possibly some for the former.

I mean, I got what I do, but it's just general stuff. Exercise, eat decently, etc.

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:23:20 PM »

Stay away from me and my friends!

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 11:15:50 PM »

Let's see...  my height, 35 pounds lighter...

I could stand to shed a pound or two, but I'm not that over-allowance...

I'm no doctor, but I'd say what you need isn't weight-loss, it's muscle tone. 
Tighten everything up a little and you'll feel like a new man.  (No, I don't mean
pack on 20 pounds of lean muscle mass, just tone what you've already got.)

So:  watch what you eat.  Avoid processed/sweetened foods.  Eat more fresh fruit.
Even if you don't want to go vegetarian, cut way back on meat intake.

Get regular exercise.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

murmur

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 11:38:28 PM »

Start walking(even if its around the block or park in the back of a parking lot) and drink lots and lots of water. Stay hydrated and you will lose water weight fast. Plus your skin will feel better.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:52:39 PM »

Follow-up question:
You're 15, right?  Do you take school-based gym/phys-ed/whatever?
Do you participate in any extracurricular activities in that vein?

If not, you might consider it.  Maybe an intramural sport of some sort...
Have fun, meet new people, get exercise, without the stresses of the
more competetive interscholastic sports.

Johnny

• Get your leather on
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:05:03 AM »

honestly,

if you want to change you lifestyle

and start eating a low carbohydrate intake

you will lose major
weight

i didn't eat any starch/bread for two weeks and lost a pound a day!
it was incredible

i would eat like, two huge bowls of taco salad with like a half a taco shell and that would be my only carb intake

ofcourse you're supposed to balance your diet

very low carbs
high green veggies
and protein- mostly stuff like grilled chicken and fish
and then dairy foods like cheese and yogurt, but watch the yogurt

and of course exercise like 3 days a week.
but..i didn't AT ALL

you have to gradually start eating more and more carbs until you find that amount you can eat without gaining anyweight. but gradual is key

i realize that you most likely wont need to do anything this drastic but for anyone else that is reading
I don't have low self esteem. I just have low esteem for everyone else.

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 12:09:09 AM »

Anybody willing to give a poor fat sack of intelligence some advice on losing weight?

For those of you more experienced in the field:

I'm 15 years of age
approx. 189 pounds in weight
six feet in height
and male.

I don't know... I'm just lookin' for some advice.

A2-week vacation down to Fort Dix Army post in New Jersey. Waking up at five o'clock in the morning or physical training, including calisthenics and a 1.5 mile run. Marching all over the base, a few hours of drill a day, and the lovely obstacle course(they are lots of fun to do with bruised ribs). But you do have to study and take a lot of courses from the United States air forces NCO Academy. That took me from 190 to 170. When I was 15.

I went from 170, around 145 from mono. That worked well, but I don't recommend it

In-line skating, a few hours a day. Always works. When I was 15 to 19 I ate McDonald's or Taco Bell or Wendy's every day and lost weight. Exercise is key

But beyond what I said without knowing what you look like there's no way to judge proper weight. At 5'11 and 190 I was in great shape (had a tiny bit of fat on the belly but I had that after living on an IV and being 145. That just with me) it's all about BMI
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 12:16:52 AM »

honestly,

if you want to change you lifestyle

and start eating a low carbohydrate intake

you will lose major
weight

i didn't eat any starch/bread for two weeks and lost a pound a day!
it was incredible

i would eat like, two huge bowls of taco salad with like a half a taco shell and that would be my only carb intake

ofcourse you're supposed to balance your diet

very low carbs
high green veggies
and protein- mostly stuff like grilled chicken and fish
and then dairy foods like cheese and yogurt, but watch the yogurt

and of course exercise like 3 days a week.
but..i didn't AT ALL

you have to gradually start eating more and more carbs until you find that amount you can eat without gaining anyweight. but gradual is key

i realize that you most likely wont need to do anything this drastic but for anyone else that is reading

I'm against this type of dieting for many reasons. Personally with my diet I lose weight when I start back on eating my own food which is very high carbo lots of veggies and a little protein mixed in with regular exercise. Also, 7 pounds a week is not an amount of weight loss, which is safe. Also at that rate you'll get lovely stretch marks most likely in which case hopefully you're not fair skinned, a friend of mine got them and they are red.
As for the taco salad. There is a reason. It's mentioned in their real American hero commercials. Nothing like a 700-2000 calorie salad, ground beef and cheese, isn't so healthy not to mention being tryef  ;)

Just eat healthy a.k.a. limit greasy foods and soda all the common sense stuff. You could actually stay that weight (it's not an unhealthy weight for 6ft at all if in the right proportion of muscle versus fat) or gain weight slightly and become a lot healthier. Again, the biggest thing is your current body condition and where you want to go. Muscle mass BMI etc.
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 01:08:06 PM »

To answer some of your questions:

My main goal is to build muscle mass, but I also wouldn't mind losing 20-25 pounds... just to, you know, slim down un peau.

Also, the only athletic teams I'm interested in are rugby and tennis: I don't have much in the way of muscles, so rugby might be a little difficult at present. Can't run very quickly (fast running would be good for both rugby AND tennis) and I don't have much upper arm strength.

Essentially, I want to build enough muscle so I don't end up killing myself by playing rugby and enough stamina so I can run a mile (or thereabouts) without any significant stopping.

murmur

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »

To answer some of your questions:

My main goal is to build muscle mass, but I also wouldn't mind losing 20-25 pounds... just to, you know, slim down un peau.

Also, the only athletic teams I'm interested in are rugby and tennis: I don't have much in the way of muscles, so rugby might be a little difficult at present. Can't run very quickly (fast running would be good for both rugby AND tennis) and I don't have much upper arm strength.

Essentially, I want to build enough muscle so I don't end up killing myself by playing rugby and enough stamina so I can run a mile (or thereabouts) without any significant stopping.

protein protein protein if you want muscle proooootttteeeiiiinnnnn

really get lots of it and work out with weights or jogging its a whole body work out mostly.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 06:32:46 PM »

Just one?  Hell, I can do that and I'm old and out-of-shape.

Anyhoo, it sounds like you've got something like a plan.
Good luck!

doritojoe89

• wishes he wasn't a
    • my space
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 01:15:16 AM »

i'm SO tired of trying to lose weight...

i just want to live...

i wish i didn't have to worry about this stuff...

this thread is depressing...
mommy, i want to be a merch girl...

DONATE TO THE BELLY BOOK FUND HERE: http://rebellyon.chipin.com/rbellyon-book-funding  ALL DONATIONS ACCEPTED. $17.00 GETS YOU A COPY OF THE BOOK!!

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »

enough stamina so I can run a mile (or thereabouts) without any significant stopping.

Walk, then run. You can't just drink a protein shake and magically be able to run... But I'd say don't cut out carbs. Eat from the food pyramid (srsly), and jog every day. Stretch, take breaks, whatever you need to do in between. Eventually, you'll be able to run that mile no prob. I used to run two miles nonstop, and that was while I was a heavy smoker (packaday). I just kept tricking myself, saying "ok, I'll run to that spot, then I'll start jogging instead..." but when I actually got to that spot, I'd keep running and think "Nah, man, we're doin' so good, just keep running. I'll stop there." An endless cycle of fooling myself... Totally worked for me. Might not for you, I dunno.

Oh, and can you put a personal trainer in the budget? If not, just find a friend to run with. It's better that way, because there's no way for you to go "oh, no, I don't feel like it today."
And reward yourself.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 10:35:04 PM »

I can run a mile, and I'm twenty pounds overweight. And I smoke a pack a day.

I usually smoke while I'm running, just to piss off the exercise nazis. You know the type. Less than 5% bodyfat, designer tracksuit, ipod, not a fucking care in the world. Lazy fuckers, too. I work with one. I can still out run them, and blow smoke in their faces as I do it.
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 19  All   Go Up