you're likely finding yourself here from a link on my new kickstarter
if not, go there. this thread will make little sense to you without it, and you should see it.
we tried a round of experiments with House Parties/Back-Yard BBQs last year in australia and WE LEARNED A LOT. here are the most frequently asked questions so you know what the DEAL IS...FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
regardingTHE AMANDA PALMER HOUSE-PARTY EXPERIENCE!GIVE IT TO ME IN A NUTSHELL?
• $5000 USD gets you about a 3- 4 hour (or more, if we're all having a blast and time allows) private event w/ me, the AFP, in your home or some space you can grab for the occasion.
• i'll usually play for an hour or so and spend the rest of the time doing....cool stuff. often i'll bring along musician friends. or you can play. or we can jam. something always works out, and we can plan it. when i was in australia last year one of the backyard parties featured 3 other bands that were all friends of people who lived in the house. fine with me. i drank beer and watched and was happy as a little clam.
• i'll almost ALWAYS come with a tour manager, or my assistant, or someone to help carry shit and drive.
• you need to be relatively flexible about the date. we'll work it out with you. if we can't make it to where you are and ALL FAILS .... we'll refund your money. this has yet to happen, thank god.BUT....FUCK. I DON'T HAVE $5000
- we definitely encourage folks to pool their resources if necessary. If you have 50 friends with $100 each - GO FOR IT. want to start a creative fundraiser to secure the loot? tell us about it - maybe we can help you advertise...we did this for fans trying to pool together in australia last year, and it worked (just ask @KAH_WAS_TAKEN
on twitter....she'll tell you all about it). if you don't know where to start: use The Shadowbox (the AFP/dolls discussion forum) to raise interest in your effort to get a gig together.DOES THAT MEAN I CAN SELL GENERAL ADMISSION TICKETS TO MY PARTY?
- great question!...no. sorry. this is not an opportunity to throw your own rock show and charge strangers for tickets. please, PLEASE don't go and try to rent your favorite rock club, hang posters all over town, print t-shirts to sell, and start your own mini-festival. i've got agents for that. these events should be more intimate affairs...private gatherings, tofu BBQs, office parties, etc. that doesn't mean they can't get wild...in fact...well, ask the australians.OKAY I GET IT, IT'S A PARTY...NOT A CLUB GIG. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE MORE "RULES"...
- another good one! the answer: no...not really. to maintain quality control, we ask to keep your affair around 50 guests or so (we can negotiate around certain events). Aad we generally have to limit my time with you to AROUND 3-4 hours. sometimes more, but never less. Every event is different by nature. i'm open to crazy ideas...this doesn't necessarily have to be a birthday party in your backyard. Naked Photography Party at the local waterpark? i'm in. Safari on the Serengeti? let's do it. Family Reunion Soap Party? Soak in the Blue Lagoon? Climb to Angel Falls? run your event by us to check on the probability. wild adventures are welcome. the weirder the better. Calgon, take me away.WAIT. NOW IT SOUNDS LIKE *EVERYTHING* GOES. SO WHY NO ROCK SHOW AT MY FAVORITE CLUB?
- i cannot guarantee that i will sky-dive blindfold with you and your college buddies. well...probably i would do that. or let you eat sushi off my naked body...wait, i'd probably do that too. I DO HAVE LIMITS. somewhere. i won't go shooting. i won't attend a Klan rally "for fun." we reserve the right to pass on certain events if we are uncomfortable with their nature. likewise, if you are Google/Coca-Cola/Nike or another gigantic corporation, we need to...um, talk. IF you've purchased this event directly through kickstarter or another channel without having a chance to run details by the team first, and we feel the need to back-out for whatever reason, we will very apologetically refund your money and try to find a good way to make it up to you. sometimes it's just really hard to get to Mongolia in October.WILL YOU PLAY OUR WEDDING?
- MAYYYYYYYYBE, but that's not really what this bundle is for. i'm not against doing weddings if we can figure something out, but that's a different bag, baby.OKAY. SO....WHAT DO I GET FOR 3- 4 HOURS? DO *I* HAVE TO ORGANIZE THE EVENT AND HOW THINGS FLOW?
- no...you CAN, but you don't have to. i'm a professional. trust me. i know how to waltz into a room of people and entertain them for a few hours. and we can always EAT. EATING IS GOOD. all of the house parties we did in australia centered around amazing food (sometimes potluck, sometimes cooked by MOM, sometimes ordered in) and everybody's happy when they're eating together and talking about life...i've found.SWEET! TELL ME MORE ABOUT AMANDA'S PERFORMANCE?
- i will gladly perform, take requests, and jam out on my magical ukulele. and If a keyboard or piano is available - i'll happily bang on that, too! in certain cases, i'll be able to bring a keyboard. usually it's WAY easier if you can source one (since you're local, and i'm not)...so, ask around town. ask your friends and family...it’s easier to get a keyboard than you realize. on stage, i plays a Kurzweil PC3, but that requires an amp for external sound. in a private setting, ANY keyboard with 88 weighted or semi-weighted keys, sustain pedal, and internal speakers, or outboard speakers or an amp will do. in certain cases, if you need help finding a keyboard (or if it needs to be rented), we can sort that for you and we will cover the costs. and sorry, but it is DEFINITELY hard to get a Kurzweil PC3 in Mongolia in October, ukulele may have to suffice. my favorite is if you've got a piano in your home...I LOVE getting to play real pianos. i rarely see them on tour.OKAY. I'M GAME. WHEN CAN WE MAKE THIS HAPPEN?
- aye, comrades, there's the rub. WE CANNOT GUARANTEE SPECIFIC DATES, we have to work together on faith and our respective availabilities, and make it happen. i'm down to party, and my schedule is in constant flux. we have to schedule this event around me & the crew's global touring schedule...and we have specific windows of time to fit in as many events as possible. if everything else sounds great and you're ready to buy this but have a very inflexible and specific date in mind (i.e. a birthday party bash/your friend's moving-to-Mongolia-going-away-party/etc), please check with us first before purchasing your event. the team will work in a timely fashion to get you the info you need, and we will do our best to honor this commitment as quickly as the schedule allows. we can't guarantee we can pop over next week, but we also won't make you wait two years for your event. if possible, we'd like to do ALL of these in 2012 (but are willing to negotiate 'till around november 2013). we'll make it happen. it's magic, but it usually all works out.WHAT ABOUT GEOGRAPHY? I AM IN MONGOLIA/THE MOUNTAINS OF PERU/THE WILES OF ANTARCTICA...
- MONGOLIA! A for effort, again. we will do our best to get to most corners of the globe, BUT i may have to pass on an event if it's held in a region that might be violent/politically volatile, ecologically unsound, or just TOO hard to get to. i also need to stay safe at every level....many public parks or squares require permits for large gatherings or events. i recently got arrested for playing outside in Dam Square in Amsterdam...and i'm not keen to go to jail again, it sucked and was scary. if you want to throw your event in a public place, PLEASE check first to make sure you can obtain the appropriate permissions from the proper authorities. better yet, DO IT AT HOME. safer, funner, LESS CHANCE OF RAIN AND ARREST!!!YOU ROCK. I READ THIS WHOLE THING. I LOVE YOU AMANDA FUCKING PALMER. SO WILL YOU LIGHT THE TORCH AT MY INTERNATIONAL YAK- SHAVING FESTIVAL IN ULAANBAATAR?
- YES, Mongolia! we will do our best to get there. i promise, just email Eric. email@example.com
. he's mostly a good guy. even if he shaves on occasion.