THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Poll

The new album title is "THEATER IS EVIL"…or is it "THEATRE IS EVIL"?

theatER
- 36 (18%)
theatRE
- 164 (82%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AMANDA PALMER & THE GRAND THEFT ORCHESTRA PRESENT…  (Read 20425 times)

ahauntingnearu

Re: AMANDA PALMER & THE GRAND THEFT ORCHESTRA PRESENT…
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 09:01:48 AM »

the title isn't ruining my life...it's just a disappointment, a let down

there is no ring to it, no pzaz. idk

the title doesn't matter when compared to the music though

I hope the album cover will redeem the title for me :)

EDIT: I think why I'm so mad is that IMO, an album title should set the tone for the music, or be the main theme of an album. for just one example, Born This Way. it's Cathy and sets the tone and theme forthe album.

Theatre Is Evil....what? every single song we know so far, IMO doesn't relate to that title. it makes no sense in regards to the thematic nature of the music

Félix Marqués

• ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »

^ The artwork of the album probably serves as a bridge. All those pictures of the band among luxury furniture and gold records. It serves as a bridge to the kind of music by employing a rock band aesthetic that fits with the synth-ness, and at the same time its exaggerated and theatrical nature, combined with the whole tabloid-ish “oh were just a famous rock band swimming in gold” makes the title sound even more hypocritical.

indeciSEAN

• Das Ruling Klass
  • Rise of The Cephalobot!
    • Twitter
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2012, 12:10:39 PM »

the title isn't ruining my life...it's just a disappointment, a let down

there is no ring to it, no pzaz. idk

the title doesn't matter when compared to the music though

I hope the album cover will redeem the title for me :)

EDIT: I think why I'm so mad is that IMO, an album title should set the tone for the music, or be the main theme of an album. for just one example, Born This Way. it's Cathy and sets the tone and theme forthe album.

Theatre Is Evil....what? every single song we know so far, IMO doesn't relate to that title. it makes no sense in regards to the thematic nature of the music

you'll hopefully "get it" at a later date.
i felt so strongly about it when i did, that i called amanda and demanded she listen to my theory as to what it means.
no comment as to what she replied with.  ^-^

ahauntingnearu

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »

I hope it grows on me, but I don't think it will. oh well--it's jut a title :)

I wonder how many songs she actually recorded for the album and if she will actually release them all. hopefully :D

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »

it will be cool to "get" the title if there are important details we don't have yet, but it feels pretty in line with everything else amanda's made in the past few years.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 01:38:05 AM »

Now I need to get my hands on one of these soon-to-be-collectible "promo discs"....

It'll be even bigger than the Beatles' "Butcher cover".

I wonder if they sent one to WRIR...  (and if not, WHY not?)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

insignifikunt

• Super Fan
  • ...Strength through Music...
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 05:30:46 AM »

Now I need to get my hands on one of these soon-to-be-collectible "promo discs"....

i've been thinking the same thing. if they are sending it to oz media maybe i could get my hands on one!
...Sing for the teachers who told you that you couldn't sing...

pawni

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2012, 05:50:37 AM »

I would definitely go for this: "THEATER/RE IS EVIL" :D

This is kinda playful and nobody can complain.

I realise that I'm kind of late to the party, but, I dig this. 8)

Also, it may just be my European-ness, but I don't even react to the possible pretentiousness of "theatre". Like many others have said, if you want pretentious, do it Frenchy style.

insignifikunt

• Super Fan
  • ...Strength through Music...
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2012, 06:16:47 AM »

i was also unaware that theatre was pretentious, it's just the way it's spelt here. fucking operating theatre is spelt theatre and i don't think anything about surgery is pretentious
...Sing for the teachers who told you that you couldn't sing...

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2012, 09:30:37 AM »

I was going to write that they should use the Australian spelling, since that is where the album was recorded, but I see that the point is moot!

Now I'd just like an explanation. The only thing I can figure is that theatre is an illusion and Buddhism teaches that all we experience is illusion and that we should clear our minds (wait, mind is an illusion!) to reach Zen. Or something like that. Anybody who practices Buddhism wanna help me out here? But if everything we experience is an illusion, then there is no difference between theater and daily life. No line between "reality" and "imagination". And as I write this, my kids are being pirates in the other room.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »

i was also unaware that theatre was pretentious, it's just the way it's spelt here. fucking operating theatre is spelt theatre and i don't think anything about surgery is pretentious
It's only pretentious here in the States.

If one of you lot were to use "theater", it's kinda like, well...
These kids:

And you don't want to be those kids, do you?  :angry7:

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »

if theatre is spelled theater, how do you spell theatrical?
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »

if theatre is spelled theater, how do you spell theatrical?
I blame such eccentricities on the French.

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 03:27:17 PM »

Now I'd just like an explanation. The only thing I can figure is that theatre is an illusion and Buddhism teaches that all we experience is illusion and that we should clear our minds (wait, mind is an illusion!) to reach Zen. Or something like that. Anybody who practices Buddhism wanna help me out here? But if everything we experience is an illusion, then there is no difference between theater and daily life. No line between "reality" and "imagination". And as I write this, my kids are being pirates in the other room.

The theatre, Buddhism & Illusion idea is pretty interesting. I’d quite like to believe that that could be the meaning behind the album title…

I’m not a Buddhist but I think that the reduction of reality-to-illusion can be understood in the context of the four noble truths. The general pitch of the four noble truths is that suffering is very bad and that a lot of it (possibly all of it) is down to psychological attachments we’ve formed; these attachments are maladaptive as stand-alone beliefs but have become weight bearing beliefs which sort of serve as a convoluted means to an end. The illusion, in this predicament, is that we believe that these means and ends are useful when all we really require is a cessation of the underlying tensions that spur us to act. The drama (theatre) of life merely serves as a crude means for acting out and resolving tensions and it serves that purpose in such a way as to create new tensions that need resolving and which might even be irresolvable with that clumsy approach. The Buddhist essentially aims for a more direct and efficient way to resolve these tensions.

It’s possible to take this idea to Reductio ad absurdum when thinking about what this reduction of psychology might mean but I don’t think it really deserves it. The intended outcome of the meditative practice doesn’t contradict or encroach on the “suffering is bad” premise which is basically what grounds that aspect of the philosophy in reality and makes it relevant. The premise is essentially an absolute – suffering (slowly resolving or non-resolving strains both mental and physical), as an experience in itself, would be bad for anything in any conceivable universe and it is better for these tensions to not exist or to resolve as efficiently as possible if one does not wish to suffer.

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2012, 09:51:24 PM »

The theatre, Buddhism & Illusion idea is pretty interesting. I’d quite like to believe that that could be the meaning behind the album title…

I’m not a Buddhist but I think that the reduction of reality-to-illusion can be understood in the context of the four noble truths. The general pitch of the four noble truths is that suffering is very bad and that a lot of it (possibly all of it) is down to psychological attachments we’ve formed; these attachments are maladaptive as stand-alone beliefs but have become weight bearing beliefs which sort of serve as a convoluted means to an end. The illusion, in this predicament, is that we believe that these means and ends are useful when all we really require is a cessation of the underlying tensions that spur us to act. The drama (theatre) of life merely serves as a crude means for acting out and resolving tensions and it serves that purpose in such a way as to create new tensions that need resolving and which might even be irresolvable with that clumsy approach. The Buddhist essentially aims for a more direct and efficient way to resolve these tensions.

It’s possible to take this idea to Reductio ad absurdum when thinking about what this reduction of psychology might mean but I don’t think it really deserves it. The intended outcome of the meditative practice doesn’t contradict or encroach on the “suffering is bad” premise which is basically what grounds that aspect of the philosophy in reality and makes it relevant. The premise is essentially an absolute – suffering (slowly resolving or non-resolving strains both mental and physical), as an experience in itself, would be bad for anything in any conceivable universe and it is better for these tensions to not exist or to resolve as efficiently as possible if one does not wish to suffer.

Thank you for your thoughtful, illuminating response. I don't wish to be irreverent. I think the premise "suffering is bad" is a a good simple translation/reduction of the album title. Amanda has said that many of the songs are about losing things, which could relate to attachment.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up