THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 ... 847 848 849 850 [851] 852 853 854 855 ... 872   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit that ruined your day.  (Read 1068855 times)

Rose

Re: Shit that ruined your day.
« Reply #12750 on: April 04, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »

Ohh.. well that just kind of sucks.

Miss Sahara

« Reply #12751 on: April 04, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »

I didn't mean to. I fully intended to go to the library and write my dissertation. But instead I just dreamt of Lucy Liu fighting Iron Man in a bookshop while my hot water bottle leaked all over my feet. Waking up was... not fun.
Do you think you might have some sort of sleep disorder? This seems to happen on a semi-regular basis - like when you slept past your date with that girl. You're able to sleep a crazy amount, even though you don't seem to want to.
I don't know what sleep disorders there are besides narcolepsy and sleep apnea though. So I don't know if there are any that would fit what you're doing.

Ah, it's a sweet thought, but no. I'd been awake for well over 30 hours before then, I really was just exhausted. Most of the time when I sleep in and miss things it's because I've been awake all night the day before - I sort of naturally slip into a nocturnal sleep pattern, which means getting up in the day is really hard for me. Then I have to try and reset my body clock by making myself stay awake all day and go to sleep at a reasonable time. It doesn't work very often :-\

i'm the same way. lately, i've been making myself go to sleep at no later than 3 a.m.. It's a compromise, not too early, but early enough i can get up reasonably early. i wish getting up was easier, though...

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #12752 on: April 05, 2013, 12:36:55 AM »

Out of curiosity, why do you guys think I should get it pulled? Is it more because of the price or the procedure? I found somewhere that would do it for $10000-$1200, and got paid $250 more last week than I was expecting, so I was just gonna go for it. If you think it's a bad idea, now would be the time to tell me why ;D
I guess the reason I want to get it done is because I feel like I'd miss the tooth, although my mouth looks a little weird already since two of my teeth swapped places when they grew in, making me look like half a werewolf.
Root canals are pretty traumatic and they don't always work. Sometimes it's better just to say screw it and live without the tooth.
I'm not worried about the trauma aspect too much but the root canal potentially not working worries me quite a bit :\ I think I'm going to have to reopen my assessment of how much I need this tooth.
As far as maintaining your overall dental structure, the root-canal is almost always preferable
to extraction.  They're both pretty invasive, but the extraction is generally a lot cheaper. It's
true that the root canal doesn't always "work", but if it doesn't, it's because the dentist screwed
up. (And R.C.s aren't, in my experience, as bad as all that - not fun, but not as bad as you've
probably heard...)

Oh, and depending on where the tooth is in your mouth, you'll need a prosthesis following
extraction, and they're not cheap, so the money-savings may be imaginary.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #12753 on: April 05, 2013, 02:14:55 AM »

Out of curiosity, why do you guys think I should get it pulled? Is it more because of the price or the procedure? I found somewhere that would do it for $10000-$1200, and got paid $250 more last week than I was expecting, so I was just gonna go for it. If you think it's a bad idea, now would be the time to tell me why ;D
I guess the reason I want to get it done is because I feel like I'd miss the tooth, although my mouth looks a little weird already since two of my teeth swapped places when they grew in, making me look like half a werewolf.
Root canals are pretty traumatic and they don't always work. Sometimes it's better just to say screw it and live without the tooth.
I'm not worried about the trauma aspect too much but the root canal potentially not working worries me quite a bit :\ I think I'm going to have to reopen my assessment of how much I need this tooth.
As far as maintaining your overall dental structure, the root-canal is almost always preferable
to extraction.  They're both pretty invasive, but the extraction is generally a lot cheaper. It's
true that the root canal doesn't always "work", but if it doesn't, it's because the dentist screwed
up. (And R.C.s aren't, in my experience, as bad as all that - not fun, but not as bad as you've
probably heard...)

Oh, and depending on where the tooth is in your mouth, you'll need a prosthesis following
extraction, and they're not cheap, so the money-savings may be imaginary.
Yeah, the prosthesis/crown sometimes costs more than the root canal itself x.x
I guess I'm just nervous about giving my teeth extra shuffle room as I have had massive problems with this in the past.
(Full disclosure: my baby teeth didn't all fall out of their own accord, so when I was like 12 or 13 years old and started getting weird toothaches from my adult teeth trying to force their way in, the dentist pulled the last 8 baby teeth at once, giving my adult teeth the spacially unrestricted freedom to just grow in wherever the hell they liked, hence the half-werewolf effect that gives me minor jaw aches sometimes because the teeth are the wrong height/hitting against the wrong teeth).
I tried to take pigs to demonstrate and was overcome by a sense of oral hatred, so gave up.
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12754 on: April 07, 2013, 01:47:56 AM »

Stupid pigs.....  but they do have amazing teeth.    O0

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #12755 on: April 07, 2013, 03:24:33 AM »

I've started actually using my tumblr account recently, and it's led me to realise just how many people on the internet seem to consider LGBT people to be the only ones that can be considered queer. Queer is supposed to be an umbrella term for all sorts of minority figures, many of whom have far less of a voice than LGBT persons as it is, and it makes me really sad for these people that they're effectively being kicked out from under the queer umbrella by some extremely selfish and ignorant people who wont even acknowledge their existence. I would have thought that minorities could be more sensitive towards each others problems rather than either playing oppression olympics or straight up denying the problems faced by other minority groups. People need to stick together :(
It also annoys me that there's no way I could ever talk about the wider queer community with them without getting outnumbered by really angry people who would refuse to listen to me at all. I wish I still had access to the notes from the queer studies seminars last year so I could compose some sort of a post about it anyway, but I can't find them and there's no point since it would only be met with responses of "lol cishet our queer is the only queer that counts"
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #12756 on: April 07, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »

^Who else would you class as queer, out of interest? I personally feel like cishets using the word kind of removes some of it's power, and it's too important to me and my identity for me to be OK with that.

@topic - I had some really bad dreams last night that had me awake until well past 5am, and now I've slept through most of the day as a result which has undone all the work I did this week trying to get my body clock back on track. Guhhh.

Miss Sahara

« Reply #12757 on: April 07, 2013, 01:35:39 PM »

Stupid pigs.....  but they do have amazing teeth.    O0

lol

:icon_porc:

Pelle

• I apparently am a
    • Sorry Bunch
« Reply #12758 on: April 07, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »

I accidentally locked my housemates' cat in my room when I went to visit my parents. Which meant I had to drive back quite early to free the damn cat. Luckily she didn't shat anywhere in the room. But now I couldn't spend time with my parents, and I couldn't work on my guitar. Have to wait a whole week. Sigh...

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #12759 on: April 08, 2013, 01:46:43 AM »

^Who else would you class as queer, out of interest? I personally feel like cishets using the word kind of removes some of it's power, and it's too important to me and my identity for me to be OK with that.
In it's wider (or older I guess) usage it's used to refer to people who were sort of sat outside the patriarchy without being obvious minorities like black or female. We watched the Elephant Man by David Lynch when we were studying queer theory last year (involving much tearing up on my part >.<) and sort of talked about minority/queer figures such as LGBT persons, people with mental illnesses or differences such as autism or associative thinking, basically anyone who would be treated poorly or thought to be of less value than the straight white neurotypical man, who doesn't already have a term like sexism or racism to describe it. Naturally, it's usage thins as society becomes more "equal", but there are a lot of people who most definitely aren't there yet, particularly those with mental illnesses. (what particularly annoys me is when this is brought up with LGBT people who object to being compared with the mentally ill, as though we're accusing them of mental illness themselves, when it's actually a case of both being queer/othered from the patriarchy by similar types of prejudice rather through having anything in common. It also alienates people with mental illnesses even more when other marginalised figures refuse to be associated with them, and that is a thing that is really shit).

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #12760 on: April 08, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »

Sort of following on from what you're saying, but not completely, I'm really not liking the current trend on Tumblr from LGBT factions to hate on ever cishet person ever. I get that it's not easy and I can't begin to understand what you go through but attacking me is not helping anyone.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #12761 on: April 08, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »

^It does make us feel better though.

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #12762 on: April 08, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »

Sort of following on from what you're saying, but not completely, I'm really not liking the current trend on Tumblr from LGBT factions to hate on ever cishet person ever. I get that it's not easy and I can't begin to understand what you go through but attacking me is not helping anyone.

What is a cishet? Ive read what a person wrote on tumblr, but I couldnt understand it properly.

But Im seeing LGBT people (at least here) getting more and more extreme over the years. And that, here in Brazil, doesnet help since they only have made people spawn groups such as "hetero proud", "true family values", and so on.  Of course, many of their things are legit, but sometimes you got into things like when they complain about a school where there was a shitty ilustration to the eletromagnetic polarity repultion/attraction.

The illustration was basically using boy and girl, saying that girl-girl and boy-boy repulses, and boy-girl attracts (opposite attraction).  An LGBT  group said that thing was homophobic and was teaching that there can't be a boy-boy attraction.

Well, physics is only taugh starting from 8th grade, meaning, 14~15 kids in general. And I believe 14 years old already know that there can be same sex attraction.  So, imho, that was kind of an overreaction.

One thing that I believe they do have reasons for fighting, is regarded a Neo-Pentecostal deputy who is extremely homophobic and narrow minded and IS LEADING THE HUMAN RIGHTS COMMITTEE  here in Br.

PS.: random complain:  sometimes people make me feel like I cannot arguee when disagreeing in any discussion involving minoritees or social issus because Im a middle class white streight man. And also that I cannot complain about it. Not that I feel that here in the shadowbox, though.

I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12763 on: April 08, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »

What is a cishet? Ive read what a person wrote on tumblr, but I couldnt understand it properly.
It's a word contrived by people who've been called hate-words all their lives so they can
have a hate-word to call the people who called them hate-words.

It's shortened from cisgender - someone who 'feels' (for lack of a better word) like
the same sex they were born with, and heterosexual.

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #12764 on: April 08, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »

It's a word contrived by people who've been called hate-words all their lives so they can
have a hate-word to call the people who called them hate-words.

Thanks, Cee.

I just hope that "the people" isn't everyone else that isnt like them.
I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 849 850 [851] 852 853 854 855 ... 872   Go Up