THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 ... 843 844 845 846 [847] 848 849 850 851 ... 872   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit that ruined your day.  (Read 948741 times)

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
Re: Shit that ruined your day.
« Reply #12690 on: March 18, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »

I work for a really nice company, today they are doing a fundraiser for the police that were shot by that Dorner man. 100% of net profits of the day will be given to the families of the officers. It's an incredible thing to do for the families...but today is gonna suck. I can feel it.
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #12691 on: March 18, 2013, 07:41:39 PM »

:D  ;D  :headbang: I GOT A NEW WASHING MACHINE!!!  :headbang:  ;D  :D

Glass Half Full  :)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #12692 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »

I'm writing an essay atm entitled "Identify the distinctive features of the mission of the Celtic church and their significance for mission in the Western church today". It's for my Missiology module, which I'm sure I've complained about on here before, but as luck would have it I'm writing a dissertation on the Celtic church anyway so this essay has proved easier and more *usefully* educational than I expected it to.

One of the main points about how elements of Celtic Christianity might be applicable to the modern world is the way Celtic Christianity had such a profound emphasis on community, in contrast to our modern hyper-individualism. There's also the fact the Celts were very much aware of the sacral aspects of daily life, where we have such a hard distinction between sacred and profane that the sacred is boxed off in a corner rather than being allowed to infuse every element of our lives as it did the Celts'. So far, so interesting.

However.

Reading about the problems we have in the modern age has pretty completely crushed me. The optimism of the Enlightenment period was shattered by the events of the 20th century; instead of giving us understanding and liberty, science gave us nuclear war, irrevocable levels of pollution, wave upon wave of death, violence and misery. Then we have the alienation and isolation of the 21st century as we become more and more individualistic and no longer have the support systems of community and family to help us through our crises - we're so aware of our own isolation and the inability to communicate with one another in a meaningful way, there's impossible gulfs between us and nothing to bridge the gap. Religion and spirituality have fallen victim to individualisation as well, so that there's no sense of grasping any ultimate truth but only true-for-me. All is vanity, yo. I'm gonna just crawl into a hole and die, and only a microscopic handful of people will care about my death and then they'll die and nobody will even know I was here at all.

I should have done English Lit.

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #12693 on: March 19, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »

^English Lit got pretty depressing, too, when you're studying exactly the same themes from the perspective of incredibly persuasive poets and novelists, many of whom went mad and killed themselves because they were so depressed about humanity.
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12694 on: March 19, 2013, 01:03:39 AM »

I'm writing an essay atm entitled "Identify the distinctive features of the mission of the Celtic church and their significance for mission in the Western church today". It's for my Missiology module, which I'm sure I've complained about on here before, but as luck would have it I'm writing a dissertation on the Celtic church anyway so this essay has proved easier and more *usefully* educational than I expected it to.

One of the main points about how elements of Celtic Christianity might be applicable to the modern world is the way Celtic Christianity had such a profound emphasis on community, in contrast to our modern hyper-individualism. There's also the fact the Celts were very much aware of the sacral aspects of daily life, where we have such a hard distinction between sacred and profane that the sacred is boxed off in a corner rather than being allowed to infuse every element of our lives as it did the Celts'. So far, so interesting.

However.

Reading about the problems we have in the modern age has pretty completely crushed me. The optimism of the Enlightenment period was shattered by the events of the 20th century; instead of giving us understanding and liberty, science gave us nuclear war, irrevocable levels of pollution, wave upon wave of death, violence and misery. Then we have the alienation and isolation of the 21st century as we become more and more individualistic and no longer have the support systems of community and family to help us through our crises - we're so aware of our own isolation and the inability to communicate with one another in a meaningful way, there's impossible gulfs between us and nothing to bridge the gap. Religion and spirituality have fallen victim to individualisation as well, so that there's no sense of grasping any ultimate truth but only true-for-me. All is vanity, yo. I'm gonna just crawl into a hole and die, and only a microscopic handful of people will care about my death and then they'll die and nobody will even know I was here at all.
You should collect your observations and suggestions
and nail them to the internet's front door.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #12695 on: March 19, 2013, 03:03:05 AM »

@Indie: Yeah tell me about it, studying English Lit, especially in the last couple of years i wavered between throwing myself out of a window and cutting my wrists. Poetry by Poe and Sylvia Plath, Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath, Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms, Kate Chopin's Awakening, oh and of course Virginia Woolf and her works...

I think the first half of the 20th century was one of the ugliest eras of the world, and it took us a whole year to study the Great Depression and WWI.

Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

RoRi23

« Reply #12696 on: March 19, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »

There's sunshine and starlight and cake and kisses and wine and birdsong and compassionate strangers and hugs. Did I mention cake?

Life may be terrible, but it is utterly fantastic, too.

Sorry for being off topic, but I think one should keep these things in mind.

By the way, I forgot opera and art and more things that I can think of right now.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #12697 on: March 19, 2013, 12:38:11 PM »

Oh, KISSING. I could live for nothing but kissing. I love kissing :D

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #12698 on: March 20, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »

One of my oldest friends has posted a lovely rant about his hatred of "breeders" and all about the fantastic life he and his GF have sans children.

I didn't realise he hated my kids so much. I guess that explains why he always has an excuse when we invite them to things. I suppose I won't bother anymore. I've taken the hint now. 

Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #12699 on: March 20, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »

I don't like kids either but he sounds like a dick

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #12700 on: March 20, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »

I don't like kids either but he sounds like a dick
To be honest, I don't really like other people's children. They can be annoying and I am not allowed to tell at them.

And yes, he is a dick.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Miranda.

« Reply #12701 on: March 22, 2013, 09:06:52 AM »

Didn't sleep last night. Went to bed slept shitily for about 2 hours then watched abc family drama shows for the rest of the night. Today's gonna be weird.
I could live for nothing but kissing.

5 points to the house of your choosing for awesome crochet skills.

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
« Reply #12702 on: March 23, 2013, 05:40:52 AM »

It's not a day ruin-er but they gave another day of work to a co-worker I don't like. Now I have one less day free of her.  I used to enjoy her company, but she sticks up for a-holes.
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #12703 on: March 23, 2013, 08:11:06 AM »

The pain in my tooth has spread through my whole jaw and down my neck. My neck in particular feels oddly lumpy and uncomfortable. It hurts too much to sleep. I've got a dentist appointment on tuesday, but I think it's only a consultation, so who knows how long it will be before I can get it fixed (if I can even afford it).
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12704 on: March 23, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »

The pain in my tooth has spread through my whole jaw and down my neck. My neck in particular feels oddly lumpy and uncomfortable. It hurts too much to sleep. I've got a dentist appointment on tuesday, but I think it's only a consultation, so who knows how long it will be before I can get it fixed (if I can even afford it).
Can you visit the E.R. (or "casualty" or whatever y'all call it down there) and at least
get a dose of antibiotics? - I assume they'll be suspicious of a 'young person' asking
for pain-killers, but you want to be sure to get any infection under control.

Also, rinse with hot salt-water.
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 845 846 [847] 848 849 850 851 ... 872   Go Up