THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zimbabwe  (Read 3056 times)

SomewhatDamaged

• The greatest thing to have come out of East London since the plague
  • The devils of truth steal the souls of the free
Zimbabwe
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:20:15 AM »

It looks like thuggery & brutality win again in Africa, just like it did in Darfur & Rwanda.
Despite a lot of statements of disaproval from the International Community, nothing is done.
I wonder if it would be the same if these countries produced oil?
Im an alltogether different being, I got black wings of fire & eyes of true seeing

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: Zimbabwe
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:29:20 AM »

If they had oil, Mugabe would have Western "advisors".  They'd mount a more sophisticated
campaign to discredit his political rivals, minimizing the need for abductions and political killings.
Further, if killings were called for, they'd make sure it looked like an accident, or they'd do a
better job of hiding the bodies.

Essentially, he'd be Saddam before about 1990.

Then again, there is some reason to believe that there's oil under Somalia, and there's some oil
production in Sudan... and we've seen how much the US and European governments care about
those areas...  and the Chinese, who control most of the Sudanese oil production, have been
unwilling to exert any influence to stop various abuses there.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Mali

• I STAB YOU
  • evilthoughtsevilthoughts
    • myspacorz
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:44:05 PM »

I like Africa, they have a country named after me.

I know, lame post, go on with your serious chatterz!
I just need a friend.
Mali-licious, if I was a boy I would want to be your boyfriend!

Max

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:15:26 PM »

Anyone catch John Humphrys this morning on Radio 4, having a chat with one of Mugabe's cronies over the telephone? In true Humphrys style, he took no prisoners (I'll leave any jokes that could be derived from that sentence to others). I paraphrase, but it culminated in something like, "No. You see, in this country, we ask questions and we expect answers. What is your stance on the fact that thugs in support of your party are raping and murdering the opposition?"

There's nothing like a grumpy welshman at 7am on a Monday.

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:47:01 PM »

i like Welshmen. i especially like Welsh Rarebit.

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:10:02 PM »

I like that Bobby Mugabe rhymes.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

NickNJ

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 10:30:05 PM »

I wonder if it would be the same if these countries produced white people?

fixed.

virtual~mary

• The Bewitched
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 11:21:32 PM »

If they had oil, Mugabe would have Western "advisors".  They'd mount a more sophisticated
campaign to discredit his political rivals, minimizing the need for abductions and political killings.
Further, if killings were called for, they'd make sure it looked like an accident, or they'd do a
better job of hiding the bodies.

Essentially, he'd be Saddam before about 1990.

Zimbabwe and the power of propaganda

fishbulb

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 01:38:52 AM »

I am not really sure if nothing is being done. Before Tsvangirai sought refuge in the Dutch embassy he asked permission of our foreign minister, and the foreign ministry has since been very busy trying to talk to African leaders trying to get support. President Mbeki has been less than cooperative, it seems.

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 05:05:05 AM »

Plenty is being done!

Only yesterday Queen Lizzie agreed that Bob should be stripped of his honourary knighthood and the Zimbabwean cricket team has been told not to pack their bags for next year!

http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 01:11:50 PM »

It looks like thuggery & brutality win again in Africa, just like it did in Darfur & Rwanda.
Despite a lot of statements of disaproval from the International Community, nothing is done.
I wonder if it would be the same if these countries produced oil?

So far it sounds like nasty civil war luckily the situation is not at the point of genocide like Darfur or Rwanda. And as for the international community, at lease with the United States we don't have the money or resources to easily do it, Iraq is calming down a little but we're not really moving troops out, and Afghanistan is heating up and we need to send more troops over there
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 02:09:02 PM »

Why doesn't the U.K. go ahead and take care of the situation.  Why do they expect the younger brother to fight all the battles, then criticise us for being bullies.

Would this be a righteous war?

Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

SomewhatDamaged

• The greatest thing to have come out of East London since the plague
  • The devils of truth steal the souls of the free
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 06:27:02 PM »

I wonder if it would be the same if these countries produced white people?

fixed.

NOT FIXED

This comment has bugged the shit out of me for weeks but I haven't had time to really answer it.
To say this is all a race issue is to miss the point completely. This is an economic issue. The fact of the matter is Zimbabwe has no economic value to the G8 or any other rich nation. Hence no real intervention. Its the same with Rwanda, Darfur & even recently Kenya. Iraq as we all damn well know was a war for oil & the west will allways pay very close attention to the middle east because its an area where profits can be made by the big multinationals. Same with South America, there is money to be made in the mines of Venezuela & alike. Its all about profit. There is no racism in the all consuming quest for the mighty dollar. The large multinationals don't give a damn about the colour of the skin of the population of a country, only its profitability. Intervention in places like Zimbabwe just isn't financially viable. So the slaughter & genocide will continue on that continent virtually unchecked. Its wrong but its the way it is. Also with a lot of these atrocities in Africa, it is not racially motivated but tribally motivated. For example the recent Kenyan civil unrest & massacres.
 Sadly racism is still prevalent in the world but to simplify the events in Zimbabwe down to race really does miss the wider & more relevant picture.
Im an alltogether different being, I got black wings of fire & eyes of true seeing

malcontent

• Taste the wealth of hate in me
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 03:18:08 PM »

I agree with Chris here Nick. While racism might have been my first thought for the lack of intervention before the war in Iraq. I tend to see the selfish and profit conscious behaviour behind the noble attempts to end the slaughter in third world countries. I don't think it has a thing to do with race.

"maybe if my heart stops beating it won't hurt this much..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up