THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying an Accordion  (Read 4048 times)

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
Buying an Accordion
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:34:36 AM »

So, I want to buy an accordion. I just want one. It looks like a fun instrument to learn, and I need more instruments that I can't play that well.

I also want it to be the last accordion I ever buy, given how fucking expensive they are. I was looking at this one, which is a thirty key forty-eight bass. The site says that it will play in all keys, which sounds good to me, because I can play piano music that I already know on it.

However, for ninety dollars more, I can get a thirty key seventy-two bass. Is it worth the extra ninety dollars for the extra twenty-four bass buttons?

Oh, and another question, buying a used accordion on ebay is a bad idea, because of all the little reeds and parts inside that can get old and worn and then be passed off as working and in good condition because it's ebay and people on the internet suck, right?
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

Max

Re: Buying an Accordion
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:28:49 PM »

If you're wanting an accordion to be the last you'll ever buy (that won't be the case, by the way), then you're not going to want anything less than a 72-bass. If you actually get anywhere near good at the accordion, then you're going to be stupidly limited by anything under that size.

Buy new from a reputable dealer. Accordions are the most fragile instrument I know of. Hard to fix yourself, too.

I currently rock a 72-bass Hohner Bravo III. It was new at about $1700. It's not the best thing in the world (and is currently in need of fixing), but it's probably the minimum a professional would touch. Next up the list on the Hohner line from the Bravo would probably be the Amica.

Do not but a Chinese-made accordion. They sound godawful.

Nice accordions are expensive things. In my experience, if you're looking to buy one and for it to be the last you'll ever buy, you're going to be looking at spending a minimum of $1800.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:11:47 PM »

Trust this man... he knows!   
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

$ethie

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »

If you're wanting an accordion to be the last you'll ever buy (that won't be the case, by the way), then you're not going to want anything less than a 72-bass. If you actually get anywhere near good at the accordion, then you're going to be stupidly limited by anything under that size.

Buy new from a reputable dealer. Accordions are the most fragile instrument I know of. Hard to fix yourself, too.

I currently rock a 72-bass Hohner Bravo III. It was new at about $1700. It's not the best thing in the world (and is currently in need of fixing), but it's probably the minimum a professional would touch. Next up the list on the Hohner line from the Bravo would probably be the Amica.

Do not but a Chinese-made accordion. They sound godawful.

Nice accordions are expensive things. In my experience, if you're looking to buy one and for it to be the last you'll ever buy, you're going to be looking at spending a minimum of $1800.

Okay. The ones I was looking at are chinese, and I should have realized that I couldn't get something decent for that cheap. I'm looking at hohners now, and I can get a Hohnica 2352 for about $700. The site says that it's perfect for entry-level musicians, too. I think I'll go into town and try it out, and if I like it, buy it. Then if I get any good, I'll buy this one.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

Ecstasia

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:01 PM »

I've been wanting to buy an accordion, also.  I've been doing a tiny bit of research (emphasis on tiny), but am still unsure as to what I should get. I found this one craigslist (though I am leery of buying used): http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/790825317.html

and was wondering if it was okay as a beginner accordion. There is not a lot of information about it listed. I don't want to spend loads of cash (buying a brand new one) on something I'm not sure I'll be capable of learning.  Any advice would be appreciated as I am completely new to the wonderful world of accordions.
Death was just another phase and maybe a better one. You wondered if we knew each other before.  You asked me who I thought I was before.  I said maybe a fish because I love water and you said, you thought a mermaid, maybe.  If you were a mermaid, you said, if you were a mermaid, I was the sea.

doritojoe89

• wishes he wasn't a
    • my space
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 01:21:02 PM »

trust ME i know...

get this one..

cost: about 19.00

where to find: Toys r us

notice: the double butter flies (very important)

mommy, i want to be a merch girl...

DONATE TO THE BELLY BOOK FUND HERE: http://rebellyon.chipin.com/rbellyon-book-funding  ALL DONATIONS ACCEPTED. $17.00 GETS YOU A COPY OF THE BOOK!!

Ecstasia

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:56:33 PM »

^^^ That's about all I can afford.
Death was just another phase and maybe a better one. You wondered if we knew each other before.  You asked me who I thought I was before.  I said maybe a fish because I love water and you said, you thought a mermaid, maybe.  If you were a mermaid, you said, if you were a mermaid, I was the sea.

doritojoe89

• wishes he wasn't a
    • my space
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:05 PM »

^^^ That's about all I can afford.

that's all you NEED to afford.. that thing has 7 keys!!  yikes!
mommy, i want to be a merch girl...

DONATE TO THE BELLY BOOK FUND HERE: http://rebellyon.chipin.com/rbellyon-book-funding  ALL DONATIONS ACCEPTED. $17.00 GETS YOU A COPY OF THE BOOK!!

roboticvampire

• James Morgane
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 10:42:25 PM »

It's a lot easier to learn how to play on an accordion with only a handful of bass keys (my first one had 32), but they won't last you beyond that initial learning period.  If you can find a decent 120 bass key accordion that you can afford, get that.  It'll be harder to learn, but you won't find yourself limited down the road.  If you want one that you can't afford, get one from Petosa Accordions in Seattle.  They're not only the best in the country (and amongst the best in the world), but they're guaranteed to last longer than you.  Too bad they cost as much as a new car.

Street Magic

• formerly pumpkinking0192
    • youtube account
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:47:45 PM »

I totally had one of those when I was like five!

$ethie

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 11:48:46 PM »

Heh. I remember this thread. I was horribly undermedicated.

Like, two weeks after this I wanted to buy a charango.

Come to think of it, I still want an accordion and a charango. But with medication, I'm sane enough to know that normal people don't go out and drop $800+ on an instrument that they have absolutely no experience with.

The moral of the story: Don't forget your pills, kiddies.

Goodbye-Umbrella

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 03:58:12 AM »

trust ME i know...

get this one..

cost: about 19.00

where to find: Toys r us

notice: the double butter flies (very important)

haha i have one just like that, her name is moira. i play barnabus more though, he was about $10 more, but he has keys! ... and he isnt broken... damn that broken moira...

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:27:16 AM »

you could always make your own!
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Accordion.html
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Goodbye-Umbrella

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 03:47:15 AM »

McMullet

• All things bright and beauti-
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »

Come to think of it, I still want an accordion and a charango. But with medication, I'm sane enough to know that normal people don't go out and drop $800+ on an instrument that they have absolutely no experience with.

All I'm seeing is an inverse correlation between medication and accordions... Which tells me medication is a Bad Thing.
Like slack-jawed never Gnyaarg. Some then folks'll folks'll skunk, some. the but, again Yokel eat a Cletus.
Happy Dog loves to play fetch with a boy named Timmy! Timmy is Happy Dog's best friend. Timmy is made out of meat. Your whole family is made out of meat.

$ethie

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 07:26:30 AM »

All I'm seeing is an inverse correlation between medication and accordions... Which tells me medication is a Bad Thing.

Yes, but without medication I do really bad things. Like the time I went to wheeling island and lost $5000. Or the several times I've lost my car. Or the time I closed all my bank accounts and hid all my money in a shoebox under my bed. I could go on.

I firmly believe that if it was fifty years ago, I would be institutionalized. Or dead. Modern antipsychotic medication is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Or at least since ECT. The problem is, sometimes I just forget, and after a week or two, I just lose it.

McMullet

• All things bright and beauti-
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 10:04:22 AM »

I concede that those things are worse than no accordions.
Like slack-jawed never Gnyaarg. Some then folks'll folks'll skunk, some. the but, again Yokel eat a Cletus.
Happy Dog loves to play fetch with a boy named Timmy! Timmy is Happy Dog's best friend. Timmy is made out of meat. Your whole family is made out of meat.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up