THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: starting a new life after highschool  (Read 4751 times)

doritojoe89

• wishes he wasn't a
    • my space
starting a new life after highschool
« on: June 25, 2008, 06:15:35 PM »

ok.. so i just graduated in May, and next Thursday i'm moving to an apartment near my university.. The University of Montevallo.. 

i'm kind of scared.. kinda excited..  just a whole range of feelings..

i'm worried about the apartment.. but also worried about college.. it's looming ahead, and it's scary!!

it'll be my first time living on my own (i will have a room-mate though..)..

anyone else going through this or anyone that already has gone through this??

any tips???

please???
mommy, i want to be a merch girl...

DONATE TO THE BELLY BOOK FUND HERE: http://rebellyon.chipin.com/rbellyon-book-funding  ALL DONATIONS ACCEPTED. $17.00 GETS YOU A COPY OF THE BOOK!!

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
Re: starting a new life after highschool
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 06:23:05 PM »

Drive fast and take chances...
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:30:08 PM »

I am already scared about that, and I am only 14. so, i am no help here!
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:43:09 PM »

Skip a lot of classes, or at least sleep through the early ones, party a lot to develop a large network of friends (they will come in handy later for cigarette, coffee and snack runs when you are all pulling all-nighters cramming for finals), learn how to bullshit your way through essay (blue-book) exams, learn how to "just get by" academically (this will come in handy later, as it will allow you to stay in school), even though your academic full-ride scholarship might have to be sacrificed, but when you do finally buckle down and get serious, you will have a firm grounding from which to spring.

You will more than likely not hit it off with your first roomate.  He or she will either be rich, spoiled and insufferable or, worse yet, eager and dumb as a post. But roomates are a copious breed, so not to worry.  Eventually you'll find a good one.

You're quite welcome.
"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 08:16:35 PM »

Well, i went almost trough the same months ago only that i didn´t live on my own (well, maybe cause you see, i spent so much time at college that when i was at home i missed college, one day i started at 6 am and ended at 11 pm, amazing) you will be able to handle it, just be sure to do your homework and to pick some girls and get laid.  O0 

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:37:38 PM »

just be sure to do your homework

Yes, do your homework.  I didn't learn that simple lesson until I was well into my second year.  Much to my surprise, I found that I enjoyed reading the assignments and, now armed with this simple rule (there is a corollary - pay attention and take notes), I aced the next two years.  One time I took an elective and many of the students were freshmen and sophomores.  A class-friend and I were in the hallway, looking at the test scores that had just been posted.  I got a 98 and his score was 70-something.  He said something like "Damn, Devery, how did you do that?".  I gave him my best wise and faux-exasperated look and gently reminded him of the basic rule, with the air of someone who had, of course, always followed it myself.

"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 08:57:10 PM »

btw a really important advise a friend gave to me, well since we don´t like to be all the type of sociable persons who start talking to other people cause sometimes we are ... shy, well this particulary works great with hot girls, be the kind of person who knows mostly everything or understand it, make demonstrations when possible (be carefull of dont being a jerk while demonstrating them just, when people ask to you), be weird, really weird but not the kind of nerd weird the kind of fun weird, that will atract girls, that worked for me, remember to be smart and funny. Eventually hot girls will talk to you and also the regular girls, well everyone who needs help will talk to you, in my case everyone started talking to me cause of coding and physics.

AmazingNelle

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 10:34:51 PM »

I took a little more time before moving. This past January (when I was 21) I made a decision to move 7 hours away from my little hometown, Rockford, IL to Columbus, OH to attend the Ohio State University. I was very sure in my decision, very motivated, very outgoing. I thought it might be rough, but I'd get through it fine.

What I learned is that it's a huge transition that takes time.

Specifically, with college, it was hard learning the process of whom to go to when you need help. Like, calling Financial Aid if you have questions, or calling your counselor if you need help with classes, etc. But if your school is anything like mine (which I'm sure it is) there are plenty of eager people to help if you ask. That's probably the best advice I can give. I went through the entire gamut and have a therapy counselor, a career counselor, an Arts and Sciences counselor (who is my academic advisor), and also a major counselor.

Good luck, and feel free to message me if you want to know more about my mundane college life. :P

OH, and P.S. Procrastinate all you want, but like others said, MAKE SURE TO TURN IN YOUR HOMEWORK. :)

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 11:10:02 PM »

I'm an introverted, shy person. My first year of college I took the opportunity to break out of my shell as much as possible - reading (crappy) poetry at an open mic in my dorm building, talking to new people to make new friends, joining clubs, etc.

It is starting new because anything embarrassing or stupid you did in high school - any of the preconceived notions former classmates had about you - all of that is gone and you can start fresh and be yourself and meet lots of new people.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

doritojoe89

• wishes he wasn't a
    • my space
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 11:14:53 PM »

THANKS ^^

ok, so i just started packing, and it's SO weird.. i've never packed for anything over a 4-day trip... every time i pick up an item to put it in the box i weigh the decision of taking it by how much i will use it in the next couple of months..

and then i go WTF?!?!

how can i guess the amount of times i might need this book, or that electronic, or that other item..?!?!

so far, i've gotten three boxes for sure.. and that's about 1/4 of my room....

wish me luck!!

Fiasco! , i LOVE the idea of starting over... highschool was mehhhh  :(

DONATE TO THE BELLY BOOK FUND HERE: http://rebellyon.chipin.com/rbellyon-book-funding  ALL DONATIONS ACCEPTED. $17.00 GETS YOU A COPY OF THE BOOK!!

Golly Mina!

• Coughs and sneezes Spread diseases
  • 死んだ滞在だけ17永久に
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 02:47:54 AM »

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.
Let us know how it's going, ya hear?
suck my sunrise, bitchbrain.

Happiness is the longing for repetition.

doritojoe89

• wishes he wasn't a
    • my space
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 01:26:05 AM »

ok, so i moved into my apartment last thursday...

and so far so well...

i cried my second night because i thought i was gonna run out of money.. (and i NEVER cry)... lol

i bought my first groceries and it was a pain to have to actually consider price for once...

i've started meeting people from the university on facebook..  i hope to meet them on july 15th at orientation ..

the apartment's nice.. today my roommate had to go to work from 3-11pm (i don't have a job yet) so i sat around and watched movies (40 yr old virgin, across the universe, & smokin' aces) (we don't have T.V. yet...lol)   

right now.. i'm using one of the neighbor's wi-fi..  it keeps going in and out...  i feel like it's kinda wrong, but oh well..

Cait.Beck!

• Silenceinmygrapevine
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:24 PM »

Not to take DJ's thunder but this summer of limbo between high school and college is really weird, I'm excited to meet new people and get away from my friends here (at least the ones I don't love) but I'm really nervous about it... I know i'll do fine but it's a lot to take in...so many changes, but yet so much stays the same....
I cant lie, I'm...not worried but..... Im excited, yet I have my doubts...
I exist as I am, That is enough.
Goodness found after digging up my profile in the old box:
Quote from: dangahdangah
Quote from: preferpencil
In conclusion, the clitoris is mysterious. TRY to ask the clitoris. Ask the clit and it will talk back.
does it really talk? :o

youve_lost

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »

I, too, will be away from home for the first time.  I graduated in 07 and took a year off to get my life together.  So now I finally got into New England Culinary Institute in Montpelier, Vermont.  About 3 hours away from home.  And I'm scared to death.

At least the dorm is single rooms only, so I don't have to worry about evil roommates.
Living Statue Amateur, Wallflower Extraordinaire.

Do you know what you've... lost?

doritojoe89

• wishes he wasn't a
    • my space
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 07:31:12 PM »

people keep asking me if im excited... i say yes, but the true, TRUE answer is... i'm scarred shitless...

college is lumming ahead....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up