THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: starting a new life after highschool  (Read 4951 times)

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
Re: starting a new life after highschool
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 12:29:39 AM »

people keep asking me if im excited... i say yes, but the true, TRUE answer is... i'm scarred shitless...

college is lumming ahead....
My last year (of undergrad) is looming and that's scaring me shitless too. I'm going to miss college, and especially my radio show.

But, as one thing ends, you start something new. College truly is the best time of your life, it's your last chance to really have fun and be a 'kid' because it is such an important experience since you basically turn into a full blown  adult those years.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

___ampersand

• Just likes playing hospital.
  • I'm not the girl you think I am.
    • Shameless Plug
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 03:44:42 AM »

I'm starting university in Lethbridge in the fall, finally I get to live two hours away from my family!
(I'm taking psychology with a minor in sociology, btw.)

I'll be living alone in an off campus apartment, and I could not be happier. I have no classes on Fridays, my boyfriend and I shall be love-nesting. ;-)
The kind who comes to poker pockets stuffed with kings and aces

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 07:57:44 PM »

I'm starting university in Lethbridge in the fall, finally I get to live two hours away from my family!

I'll be living alone in an off campus apartment, and I could not be happier. I have no classes on Fridays, my boyfriend and I shall be love-nesting. ;-)

AWESOME!!!!

Good Luck.

___ampersand

• Shameless Plug
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 12:29:39 AM »

AWESOME!!!!

Good Luck.
Well thank you :)
Any and all of my shadowbox fam are welcome to come and visit me anytime :)

Kovacs

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

Devery stole, then wrote down, my college experience. Except for the aceing classes. :knuppel2:

My only advice: don't let any restrictions artificially imposed on you in High School travel with you to college. You are, literally, a new person. Take advantage of that (unless you're already settled into who you are, and content).

I was introverted to the point of neurosis in college. I ended college with more friends that were really needed, and more experiences that I ever could have imagined. This is not bragging. I did nothing to achieve this other than having an open mind and a need to change.

Good luck. You'll love it, if you let it in.  :)

___ampersand

• Shameless Plug
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 01:05:47 AM »

Kovacs, you have NO idea how good that is to hear. Highschool SUCKED.

1sideofanampersand

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 09:43:27 PM »

I'm an introverted, shy person. My first year of college I took the opportunity to break out of my shell as much as possible - reading (crappy) poetry at an open mic in my dorm building, talking to new people to make new friends, joining clubs, etc.

It is starting new because anything embarrassing or stupid you did in high school - any of the preconceived notions former classmates had about you - all of that is gone and you can start fresh and be yourself and meet lots of new people.

I am also shy and introverted. My first semester I stayed in most of the time, did my work, and went to class. I didn't really do much else. I regretted it. The next semester, I joined a club or two and slowly broke out of my shell. I'm going to be graduating soon and I've held multiple leadership positions in the clubs I've been in over the years. My advice is to join clubs or organizations just to meet different people and have fun. Fun is important, but so is the school work. If you find that balance between the two, you'll be golden!

1sideofanampersand

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »

people keep asking me if im excited... i say yes, but the true, TRUE answer is... i'm scarred shitless...

My last year (of undergrad) is looming and that's scaring me shitless too. I'm going to miss college, and especially my radio show.

But, as one thing ends, you start something new. College truly is the best time of your life, it's your last chance to really have fun and be a 'kid' because it is such an important experience since you basically turn into a full blown  adult those years.

I agree. It really is your last chance to have fun and be a 'kid.' I'll also be finishing up my last year of undergrad. It's pretty scary knowing that in a year I will be thrust out into "the real world" to find my first 'real' job. I know I'm going to miss TV Club. In a year it won't be TV Club anymore, it'll be the real deal!

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 01:40:07 AM »

I remember my sister getting bad habits because of living alone, she suddenly became a half-alcoholic a smoker she barely eat or drink anything but coke, hope it doesn´t happen to anyone of you btw college the movie:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/college/trailer/

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 02:16:27 AM »

I agree. It really is your last chance to have fun and be a 'kid.' I'll also be finishing up my last year of undergrad. It's pretty scary knowing that in a year I will be thrust out into "the real world" to find my first 'real' job. I know I'm going to miss TV Club. In a year it won't be TV Club anymore, it'll be the real deal!

I think I am going to cry hysterically during my last radio show, for real, it's going to be so emotional... because right now it's a HUGE part of my identity - being a college radio show host and Public Relations coordinator of the radio station on the board of directors. *sigh

This just goes to show you how important it is to get involved. I know in high school people bitched "get involved it'll look good on your transcript" but with college - all you need is one club, one group that has like minded individuals or at least focuses on something you enjoy and especially something you are passionate about or interested in. For me, it's music in a non-musicianship way, and so I found my niche hosting a radio show with my twin sister sharing and talking about the music that I love while discovering new things. Oh and having the opportunity to interview my favorite musicians (and have so many fans listen and appreciate them) is just icing on the delicious cake of college.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »

Just go out have a good time and enjoy your four years, and if you really want to enjoy it five years
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

Twice Belladonna

• I cut off my hair and went to sleep.
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 08:25:48 PM »

i'm in the same boat.
i just moved into my dorm
the hardest thing for me is going to be missing my animals.
i mean, i'll see my friends of course, i'm not too far away from that, but my babies are my babies.
i guess the only thing to do is just remember that this is the best part of life before you die.
seriously.
then you just die.

roboticvampire

• James Morgane
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 12:57:58 AM »

This has been said, but needs repeating:
Fucking study.  Do your reading, and do your homework.  It doesn't take that much time if you don't put it off, and it goes a long way, much more so than in high school.  It's not really about grades either.  When you study and do your reading and homework you end up understanding your courses much better and it becomes a much more rewarding experience.  Don't feel too bad if you miss a class, but actually going to class probably helps more than any outside work.

___ampersand

• Shameless Plug
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 01:15:02 AM »

This has been said, but needs repeating:
Fucking study.  Do your reading, and do your homework.  It doesn't take that much time if you don't put it off, and it goes a long way, much more so than in high school.  It's not really about grades either.  When you study and do your reading and homework you end up understanding your courses much better and it becomes a much more rewarding experience.  Don't feel too bad if you miss a class, but actually going to class probably helps more than any outside work.
Good to know RV.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up