THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken toe?/toe injury  (Read 3963 times)

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
Broken toe?/toe injury
« on: June 28, 2008, 10:44:22 PM »

Okay so on Thursday I was at the Goldfinger/Less Than Jake Roseland Ballroom show in NYC. At one point when the crowd surged to start "the biggest fucking circle pit ever" I fell down and one of my shoes (slip on VANS) slid off my foot. For about 5 minutes I was missing my shoe - I talked to the people around me, got it back and all was well. Throughout the night a lot of people stepped on my feet - my big toe in particular.

Since I got back from the show my right pinky toe has been numb - pins and needles. I thought it was from my shoe from walking a lot that day or from my shoe being pulled off my foot but it's lasting long enough to have me puzzled. I don't think it's broken because it doesn't hurt, I don't see bruises and I can move it - it would just be easier to move it more if it wasn't numb. I taped up with medical tape all of Friday and when I took the tape of this afternoon - the toe is still pins and needles.

For anyone who would know about this thing, or if anyone has broken their toe - do you have any advice? I dont know if I have a general physician right now or even what my insurance is - so I'd like to save "go see a doctor" as a last resort, especially because it isn't hurting me.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
Re: Broken toe?/toe injury
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »

Have to tried medical tapeing it to the toe next to it? Idk... thats what you do with fingers to splint it. I really don't know... I hope it gets better!
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 10:48:07 PM »

Have to tried medical tapeing it to the toe next to it? Idk... thats what you do with fingers to splint it. I really don't know... I hope it gets better!

I read on WEB MD that taping it to the toe next to it with something in between it is a common way to treat it. I've broken a couple fingers before - once my DR taped my dislocated middle finger to my ring finger and lets just say that that didn't last very long before he gave me a splint. Holy shit was that painful and impractical (one piece of tape? come on!)

But I think I'll try that next... at least over night with some gauze or something in between. Thanks!
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

bec

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »

honestly, it sounds more like nerve damage than a broken toe. especially since you're experiencing numbness and paresthesia (pins and needles), but no pain. so strapping it probably won't make a difference... unless it's a break/sprain/fracture that's causing the nerve to be trapped.

i really don't know. i'm just going by my 2nd year college Anatomy/Physiology knowledge. heh

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 10:55:33 PM »

honestly, it sounds more like nerve damage than a broken toe. especially since you're experiencing numbness and paresthesia (pins and needles), but no pain. so strapping it probably won't make a difference... unless it's a break/sprain/fracture that's causing the nerve to be trapped.

i really don't know. i'm just going by my 2nd year college Anatomy/Physiology knowledge. heh

That's a good point about the nerve. I have tendinitis and a pinched nerve on my elbow and wrapping that helps... maybe if it is a pinched nerve it could be... on a different part of my foot and um maybe that should be wrapped?
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 11:13:17 PM »

Yeah, I think faust arp may be right. My dad has a pinched nerve and that iss the same wty he describes the pain.
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 11:16:19 PM »

'bout 20 years ago, I was helping a friend move an ancient refrigerator (one of those that looked like it was
built by Chrysler....), and two of the four people carrying dropped it at the same moment, and it landed on
my right big toe...  squashed it like a grape (oddly enough, without fracturing the bone, but the nail never
did grow back quite right).

It was tingly, basically numb for a day or so after that.  I first noticed it when we went to the ER and I was
able to just sit there while they poked and pulled at it.

Mind you, when that wore off, it hurt quite a bit.  Yay Tylenol 3!
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

ddabrockhard

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »

haha. oh dear.
did you know that you break your pinky toe an average of 1,000 times per year, but it heals so fast that you usually never even notice?
i know this because i have broken so many bones and had so many injuries that i spend a good portion of my time in the emergency room....the doctors share interesting information, that was one thing i learned....thought i'd share.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »

interesting! Well I used to stub my toes all the time so I wouldnt be surprised if I had broken them before without know.

Update on my current toe situation: My toe has been numb and a bit sore for two weeks! I've been taping it to the adjacent toe and I think gradually the numbness and soreness is decreasing so I'm gonna keep doing that for awhile and hope this works out to heal okay.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »

interesting! Well I used to stub my toes all the time so I wouldnt be surprised if I had broken them before without know.

Update on my current toe situation: My toe has been numb and a bit sore for two weeks! I've been taping it to the adjacent toe and I think gradually the numbness and soreness is decreasing so I'm gonna keep doing that for awhile and hope this works out to heal okay.

That's probably your best bet. There isn't really much one can do for broken/sprained toes. Rub some dirt in it and take it like a man!  O0 [/bad saying]
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

ddabrockhard

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 04:34:19 PM »

if its broken, putting ice on it will help a lot.
also, for broken toes, if you put a makeup sponge under your toe and then tape it, that should help the pain when you walk =]

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 05:37:28 PM »

...and before long, the gangrene should pretty much destroy the nerve, so the pain will go away.
Oh, and people will just think the smell is bad foot-odor.   O0
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »

...and before long, the gangrene should pretty much destroy the nerve, so the pain will go away.
Oh, and people will just think the smell is bad foot-odor.   O0
haha.

It doesn't really hurt... I mean if I pull at it in a weird way or stand directly on it it hurts but definitely not that bad (considering I'm used to consistent pain *shrugs)! My toe was never really discolored from the beginning - I can't see any redness or bruising or even swelling (there maybe some that I just cant see or tell) so I don't think it's that bad.

Oh and I spent like 4 days last week walking around New York city during the weekend of my birthday... surprisingly that wasn't bad... the shoes I was wearing were comfy until I got into the city where walking around in them (they must not have had that much support) killed my ankle/foot but not my toe. I was considering wearing sneakers for my trip but ultimately opted against it because the toe of the show put pressure on my hurt toe. ha!

I thought about putting in some gauze between the toes when I tape them but over all as long as they are bound my toe is okay, I'm fine walking (thank goodness)!

thanks for the advice!
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP
Pages: [1]   Go Up