THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The lagging American economy  (Read 4523 times)

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
Re: The lagging American economy
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 03:39:35 PM »

I'm more concerned about Social Security and its failure to help out many disabled Americans who can't work......
I find it amazing that, at a time when the commercial investment markets are circling the drain, certain people
are still trying to sell the idea of privatizing SS.  "The Market consistently out performs... blah blah blah..."
...except when the market tanks and large amounts of money that seemed to be there yesterday simply aren't
there today.

The biggest problem is the bureaucracy, almost every social security claim takes the least months to get started. And a lot of those take legal intervention for people to get their benefits, the whole system is just a giant cluster fuck
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »

Don't you have one of those law firms there? 
You know, "Tell the Federal Government YOU MEAN BUSINESS"...  >:(

Judging from their ad...  just the mention of the name makes bureaucrats and insurance execs wet themselves...

It's on TV, it must be true.   :)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

T K

• not a kid anymore
  • Global Moderator
  • Brother, my cup is empty
    • Twilite
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »

Makes living paycheck to paycheck a real challenge.

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 06:37:38 PM »

Don't you have one of those law firms there? 
You know, "Tell the Federal Government YOU MEAN BUSINESS"...  >:(

Judging from their ad...  just the mention of the name makes bureaucrats and insurance execs wet themselves...

It's on TV, it must be true.   :)

The issue with that is, you need to have a diagnosed condition, if the docs don't know what's wrong with you even though it's completely incapacitating you. There is no government assistance available.

I found a loophole, just not the good kind LOL
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 08:30:14 PM »

I really hope the earth does end in 2012. That would be cool... I don't know why, but it would.

Yeah, that would be pretty sweet.

Lots of fun. I'll get balloons.

The great thing is, I still have some left over from the last couple of ends of the world.  This time is more funner though. Before, the mistake was in believing or calculating prophecies that the world was going to end. This time, it's just about the end of a calendar and predictions of, for all intents and purposes, the end of an age.

I wonder if I can figure out a way to acquire all the money people won't be needing anymore after 2012? Bets! We could make bets. I bet the world will still be here, with people on it, the day after the supposed end.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Paul

• ...has his baleful eye on you
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 05:55:46 AM »

A slightly tangential rant....

No offence, but I think the Credit Crunch and subsequent economic recession serves the US, UK and Eurozone fucking right. :uglystupid2:

People took out much larger mortgages than they could realistically afford in the long term (even lying about their salaries to get accepted in many cases), overconsumed and bought crap using credit cards and remortgages to pay for it (I was just as bad for this) while export-based economies like China, Taiwan, Korea and India were perfectly happy to get rich taking it off them. Banks, flush with lots of cheap money at low interest rates just dished out loans like water, selling off these debts as "risk-free" investment vehicles that crippled pension funds and municipalities. And when people in their millions struggled to make repayments, declared themselves bankrupt and banks started struggling, people start complaining when all the cheap loan money dries up!

Anyway, all this does is give the power to emerging markets like China, India, Russia and the Middle East, with trillions in massive savings in sovereign funds and state companies, who are now starting to buy investments in struggling Western banks and companies like Citigroup and Morgan Stanley.

.....ok rant over. Feel better again.
The Baleful Eye has spoken..................

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 06:10:29 AM »

Noel Gallagher on ye olde wireless yesterday: "People of England, for those of you who don't know, the credit crunch is not a cereal bar"

;D
http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 11:52:35 AM »

No offence, but I think the Credit Crunch and subsequent economic recession serves the US, UK and Eurozone fucking right. :uglystupid2:

People took out much larger mortgages than they could realistically afford in the long term (even lying about their salaries to get accepted in many cases), overconsumed and bought crap using credit cards and remortgages to pay for it

Wait a minute!

Are you holding people responsible for their own actions?

That is forbidden.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »

Speaking of forbidden...
Would someone please explain to me how Pat Boone (you know, squeaky-clean church-goin'
Jesus-pusher PAT BOONE?) became a pitchman for a company trying to sell gold investments?

(...at a time, I might point out, where the price of gold is sky-high, suggesting that now would be a good time to SELL gold, not buy.)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 01:21:24 PM »

It all started here...

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »

People took out much larger mortgages than they could realistically afford in the long term (even lying about their salaries to get accepted in many cases), overconsumed and bought crap using credit cards and remortgages to pay for it

Wait a minute!

Are you holding people responsible for their own actions?

That is forbidden.

Or all people for the actions of others. Sometimes, the failings of many affect the lives of all. In cases such as these, we install certain safeguards.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Emaline

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 08:26:11 PM »

It all started here...

I couldn't fucking agree more.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up