THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FBLA  (Read 1320 times)

jtaylor

FBLA
« on: July 02, 2008, 02:06:37 AM »

Well, I'm a member of this organization called Future Business Leaders of America, and I am the president of my high school's chapter.  FBLA is mostly for high school students interested in business related careers, as one might guess.  The organization promotes business education, partnerships with local businesses, community service, and things like that.  However, to get all of the members really involved in FBLA, there are competitive events.  There are 50+ categories for individuals or teams of 2-3 and some events that the entire school participates in.  The events test skills useful in business, not just business-specific skills, so in addition to business events such as Economics and Business Communication, there are events such as Network Design, Internet Application Programming, and Public Speaking.  Students compete each year at the regional, state, and national levels and each student can only be in one event.  If you are or will be an American high school student and your high school has a chapter, you should definitely check out FBLA because it is fun and helpful and not just for those interested in business careers.

So for this year, my competitive event was Cybersecurity, since I am more knowledgeable about technology than business topics.  I came in first place at the regional level in January and at the state level in April, so I was eligible to go to the national competition, which is called the National Leadership Conference.  This year's NLC was held in Atlanta, Georgia last week, with more than 8000 people attending from the 50 states, DC, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and some other places.  I traveled with three other students from my school and our teacher as well as the rest of the Pennsylvania delegation.  We stayed at the Mariott Marquis, which was where most of the conference was held.  Tuesday we went to Stone Mountain.  Wednesday we went to the World of Coca Cola and the Georgia Aquarium and had lunch at Fogo de Chão.  Thursday we went to the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site and the NLC opening ceremony.  Friday was competitive events.  Saturday I watched some of the performance event finals.  Sunday was the awards ceremony, in which Pennsylvania did very well.  I had to wear a suit for all of the official parts of the NLC.

So on Friday morning my male friend from my school, who shall remain nameless, is talking to a girl, also to remain nameless, in his competitive event.  My friend happened to have told her our room number during this conversation.  At some point, I show up to retrieve my friend and the girl goes back to her hotel.  A bit later, she comes to our hotel room and wants to hang out.  I am busy studying for my test in the afternoon, so the girl and my friend go to the mall together for a few hours.  Later, she gets fast food for my friend and herself for dinner and comes to our hotel room with it.  My other roommate and myself leave to go get our own dinners and then we rejoin my friend at a region meeting that we have to go to.  While walking back from this meeting, my friend tells us that he doesn't really like this girl.  Wednesday night and Thursday night once there was nothing to do, my friend, our roommate, and myself had been hanging out on the elevators for a little while to meet and talk to people, since the elevators are the round glass kind and comfortable to remain in.  My friend mentioned this to the girl at some point.  So when we come back from the meeting, we see that she is on one of the elevators.  At this point, my friend is now afraid of her.  So the rest of the night is spent helping him avoid being seen by her while still watching the elevators to see what she does.  She stays in the elevator and gets two other guys to ride with her for a while.  When my other roommate and I interact with her a couple times she inquires about my friend, but she doesn't leave the elevator to go look for him.  She finally goes back to her hotel shortly before midnight having been on the elevator for about five hours.  On Saturday she is back, and with a few breaks, rides the elevators for most of the day.  By evening, enough people have joined her in riding the elevator that they make it a party and are dancing to somebody's music.    She manages to leave and return to her own hotel just before hotel security kicks the other revelers out.  Sunday morning the girl is back on the elevators for a little while, but then she disappears.  We decide to go to the hotel pool in the afternoon.  When we get there, she is in the pool, even though she is staying at a different hotel.  Before the awards ceremony my group goes out to dinner, so we travel to the awards ceremony independent of the rest of FBLA.  When we are entering the building that the awards ceremony is in we notice that the girl is right behind us, and she tries to talk to my friend again.

Anyway, last year I went to Chicago for the 2007 NLC and I came in second place in the nation in my event.
This year I came in second place in the nation in my event.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: FBLA
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »

Congrats to you, and yay for drama and dancin' in elevators!

(You want I should have whoever finshed first... um...  dealt with?) :knuppel2:
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
Re: FBLA
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »

Congratulations, two 2nd places in a row is like one 1st place right? and was the ... stalker hot?
Pages: [1]   Go Up