THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning Other Languages  (Read 19983 times)

Niels

• Shadows stuffed with organs
Re: Learning Other Languages
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 08:29:06 AM »

I think it's just one of those differences that's just there... like the many small differences between US and UK english.
90 is also called 'nonante' here, instead of... what? quatre-vingt-dix?
We do say 'quatre-vingts' though (but I think there are other countries where they say huitante, maybe in Switzerland?)

(keep in mind that I'm not a native speaker. I learned it in school.)

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 02:26:17 AM »

The soixante-dix thing in French is very annoying and illogical. I much prefer septante. It would make it easier when the French teacher names page numbers in French.

I also live in the US and prefer several British spellings from my brief time in Canada, hahaha. Blame Neopets for spelling them this way too:

grey, colour, favourite, washroom, vapour, defence, offence....
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 04:04:43 AM »

I got thoroughly annoyed by an Americanism on the side of a London Bus recently....
Centre is not spelt center! ( from "Journey to the CENTER of the Earth" )
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

colordeaf

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 12:19:06 PM »

I got thoroughly annoyed by an Americanism on the side of a London Bus recently....

The -er spelling is very inelegant. They change the spellings when importing British books to the US, I imagine.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »

The -er spelling is very inelegant. They change the spellings when importing British books to the US, I imagine.
I think it's symptomatic of a fundamental assumption that Americans are dumb... that we wouldn't be able to
grasp such advanced linguistic concepts as:
...the U in [colour, flavour, armour &c.]  is silent...
...the E is pronounced as if it came before the R in words like centre...
...The Philosopher's Stone just sounds much cooler (and has far more established significance) than "The Sorceror's Stone".
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

colordeaf

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »

...The Philosopher's Stone just sounds much cooler (and has far more established significance) than "The Sorceror's Stone".

Agreed. Although I do prefer the American cover art for the Harry Potter books.

Viz media used "philosopher's stone" in the English translation of Fullmetal Alchemist (a Japanese series, ahaha), and I see the same preteen/teen demographic reading it. And little kids watched it on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, whoops.
"American intelligence" is also the reason 4kids fails at dubbing foreign series. They replace all the original music because "American kids don't have the attention span for moments of silence" and other things that seem completely uneccesary. Then Naruto becomes and hit with tv-watching American children and they keep most of the plot/music/character names intact. Eh?

Back to the subject of foreign languages. I find that many other scripts have more aesthetic appeal than this Roman one. Arabic for example is very pretty. Part of the reason Japanese packaging looks so good is also because of the writing system. It has squiggles and curves that can be stylized to attract children who want candy and kittens and dolphins who promote cannabalism. However, over here we only get comic sans MS font. I hate that font.

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
  • Don't shootshootshoot that thing at me!
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 07:46:29 AM »

I think it's symptomatic of a fundamental assumption that Americans are dumb... that we wouldn't be able to
grasp such advanced linguistic concepts as:
...the U in [colour, flavour, armour &c.]  is silent...
...the E is pronounced as if it came before the R in words like centre...

The added 'u' and the 're' seem very French, and I was under the impression that the English still hated the French.
Quote from: armyoflarry
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 01:25:10 PM »

the U and the RE are not added, they were removed by the americans for some reason, also bear in mind that most proper english has French and saxon as its parent languages ( with a smattering of latin and other germanic languages thrown in ), this mix has been around since the 11th century
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 01:46:19 PM »

they were removed by the americans for some reason

Some man named Webster was really bitter, and he said we needed to sever our ties with the english we needed to change our accent and spelling. It's weird that we rebelled in these little ways (coffee vs. tea, re vs er) before and after our independence... like teenagers.  :D
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 02:26:35 PM »

the U and the RE are not added, they were removed by the americans for some reason, also bear in mind that most proper english has French and saxon as its parent languages ( with a smattering of latin and other germanic languages thrown in ), this mix has been around since the 11th century

This I know, I was just trying to be ridiculous.

Also, I think words just plain look better with an 're' rather than 'er'. Oh, well.
Sweet!!! Ummm, I mean that fills my soul with Northern Darkness of Frostbitten Empires and stuff.

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 08:58:15 AM »

I wish there had been a wider variety of language options available at my school. English and French were compulsary, beyond that.. nothing. Not even German or Spanish. Stupid really since there were so many bilingual kids and first generation immigrants at the school.

Molotovna

• Jammy Dodger
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »

I wish there had been a wider variety of language options available at my school. English and French were compulsary, beyond that.. nothing. Not even German or Spanish. Stupid really since there were so many bilingual kids and first generation immigrants at the school.

We had only German and Spanish at my high school.

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 12:08:26 PM »

We had only German and Spanish at my high school.

Depends on the school, I suppose. "Better" schools, more options. My school was shit and I hated it. My friend went to a posh private school where English, French, German, Latin and Greek were all compulsory, plus she had options to study Spanish and Italian. (AND she went to Chinese school on Saturdays to learn Mandarin (she could already speak Cantonese, since her parents were from Hong Kong.) I'd say something like "I don't know how she kept it all in her head" but, frankly, she was (and is) a bit of a genius, so.. she probably could've learned a dozen more languages and sung opera in each of them.

Personally, I'd love to be fluent in Russian. And British Sign Language. I've taught myself the basics of both, but I doubt I could hold a decent conversation in either.

Half Mar

• steals flamingos and gnomes.
  • Cake Sex Riot
    • Drumssss!
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »

My native language is Dutch. I can speak a little German, since we had some German kids her during the summer holidays a few years ago. English isn't a big problem for me. I'd love to learn Spanish... maybe someday.
Quote from: Audrey
she's captain of the awesome ship
Quote from: Lucy
if you had a giant spoon you could scoop up an evil person with that spoon and feed them to a giant for breakfast -like a good hearty bowl of evil
Quote from: Chloe
my flatmates can suck on my meat loaf

Street Magic

• formerly pumpkinking0192
    • youtube account
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »

I've been taking French in school for two years and my goal is to be fluent enough to be able to live (at least) a year in France.

And I'm going to be literally the only guy in my French class next year, out of all the juniors AND seniors (few enough kids take III and IV that they smoosh those classes together). And last year the only other guy in the class was this guy who had just moved here from like Kansas or something. And he was really hot but he was a senior which made me sad and now he's gone.

French is a sexy language.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up