THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning Other Languages  (Read 19985 times)

roboticvampire

• James Morgane
Re: Learning Other Languages
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »

French is very annoying and illogical.
I simplified it for you.

Americans are doing everyone a disservice by not teaching languages at a younger age.  Ignoring the economic benefits of being a polyglot, studying similar languages can actually help improve the mastery of one's native language, or at least that's what I experienced when I studied German and French.  Even having a partial understanding of a language opens up a lot of opportunities, and at least it makes traveling easier.  Plus, it lets you eavesdrop on foreigners who think they're being sneaky.

shibby

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 05:23:52 AM »

My elementary school had an after school Spainish program... nobody went unless their parents made them, and anything they taught you never stuck because they only met for thirty minutes once a week.

America in general is teaching language completely wrong. Nobody starts until middle school, and by then your ability to learn another language is severely decreased. And then all that's done is busywork, when it has been proven over and over again that the only way to learn a language is to be immersed in it, to hear it and be forced to converse in it.  I've had plenty of French teachers, and the only one I ever learned from refused to speak in English. I didn't know any of the grammatical terms, but I could construct a sentence flawlessly, without thinking about it, because it was natural, not rote. The only thing the US school system does is waste time and money.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 06:15:32 PM »

the only logical language is esperanto..... and no one speaks it....
( vulcan probably is, but evryone speaks Klingon instead )
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Twice Belladonna

• I cut off my hair and went to sleep.
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2008, 08:52:09 PM »

i took 4 years of spanish, 2 years of latin, 2 years of french, and i'm just starting russian.
kak dyella?

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 02:26:39 AM »

i took 4 years of spanish, 2 years of latin, 2 years of french, and i'm just starting russian.
kak dyella?

Russian family lives several houses up the street. Maybe...

The schools around here don't offer it :[

What about Russian music?
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 01:41:02 PM »

I can learn languages if I'm actually interested in it. The benefit of having a memory that sucks a lot of info up comes in handy in these cases. Right now I'm learning ASL, so it doesn't require talking, but a lot of signals. I'm really happy with it.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Marcella

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 03:09:11 PM »

I took 6 years of English, 6 years of French, 5 years of German, 3 years of Latin and 3 years of Greek... And of course I speak Dutch.  :)

Street Magic

• formerly pumpkinking0192
    • youtube account
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 08:19:36 AM »

I can learn languages if I'm actually interested in it. The benefit of having a memory that sucks a lot of info up comes in handy in these cases. Right now I'm learning ASL, so it doesn't require talking, but a lot of signals. I'm really happy with it.
The only thing I know in ASL is "tree". I dunno why.

Twice Belladonna

• I cut off my hair and went to sleep.
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2008, 10:40:09 AM »

kak dyella?

Russian family lives several houses up the street. Maybe...

The schools around here don't offer it :[

What about Russian music?

russian music? but of course! i can play the kalinka on piano >_>

ampdoll

• ampdoll's Myspace
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2008, 04:14:29 PM »

That's cool you're learning ASL. I am just beginning the process of learning ASL! I have always had an interest in it and knew some when I was little. Now I am learning again, and it's great!
I also am better at picking up on languages I have an actual interest in. I love French and am learning that from my father, who speaks it. I find (Mandarin) Chinese quite easy. I taught some students who spoke Mandarin ESL in high school. Also, I find Nordic (mostly Scandinavian) languages easier to pick up on than ones such as Spanish for some reason. I failed Spanish 3 times! I don't know why, I think it's because I am not as interested in learning it as I am some other languages.

I also wish to learn more Hindi as I speak it very poorly and can't write it at all and I am almost half East Indian.

For now, I just want to learn ASL and French. I can only handle so much at a time!  :)

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »

So I was reading the news the other day (I promise, there's a point...):

Quote from: The New York Times
KARALETI, Georgia — The Russian tank creaked and groaned at the checkpoint, its journey north across
the new administrative boundary of South Ossetia almost complete. The driver’s face, grease-streaked
and tired looking, jutted from the hatch.  A cigarette hung from his mouth.

He swore, uttering the single, unprintable syllable that is the most foul word in the Russian language.
His source of frustration: his T-62 main battle tank, of a sort that first came into service in the Soviet
Union in the 1960s, would not turn to the left....
(I inserted the italics.)

I wonder how many people (beyond myself) are dying to know what that word was, simply because we speak no Russian?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »

I wonder how many people (beyond myself) are dying to know what that word was, simply because we speak no Russian?

I am seriously tempted to learn just to find out.  :coolsmiley:

Edit - I love google - http://www.russiancursing.com/
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 11:47:57 PM »

I am seriously tempted to learn just to find out.  :coolsmiley:

Edit - I love google - http://www.russiancursing.com/
Well, the description of that first word does seem to match the one in the NYT...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »

As a native Englishman, I am naturally bi lingual and can communicate with any nationality..... I speak english, and I speak
L O U D E R     S L O W E R    E N G L I S H !

Speaking of that, I am now learning Polish, because I am the only english speaker in my new place of work.

But seriously, my italian roots have borne me into a bilingual family, those it is a first-acquired language, so I never learned how to learn a language.

I speak French almost fluently (6 yeas of education and almost a degree!), Spanish to n advanced level (Advanced Higher SQA) and english, obviously (or not).

Sometimes because of my italian, people can't understand my word order in sentences- or my punctuation- this is because I apparently haven't properly learnt the difference between English and italian grammar.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

atomkinder

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2008, 05:24:12 AM »

I'm learning Arabic.
I decided to learn a language along side my degree and weighed up which one could teach me the most about the culture and would give me the most interesting group of people to talk to. I always loved north Africa when I've visited on holiday and as I'd love to work abroad, somewhere sunny, I went with Arabic.

I think my family think I'm mad but then they are from rural East Anglia and hadn't actually seen an Arab until recently.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up