THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning Other Languages  (Read 19990 times)

slyvia k

Re: Learning Other Languages
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/edYHlnhxyOI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/edYHlnhxyOI</a>

haha  ;D
hilarious! some parts were really accurate, like the sounds.... especially the HHHHHHHHAAA very guttural sound of disappointment...

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »

I am beginning to suspect that all people who speak "foreign" are just making it up as they go along to confuse people
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »

I am beginning to suspect that all people who speak "foreign" are just making it up as they go along to confuse people

A year or two a go a friend [?] and I were small talking outside a venue when he, drunk, started speaking german. But things like "hello, what did you do today?" "do you like beer?" "My friends are visiting me" "I'm drunk" etc etc. But because I know (knew?) some of the germanic language, I could keep going on.

A random dude came asking us from where we were. In english. We started to talk with him in english pretending we were from Austria. 
I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2012, 07:40:42 PM »

Yo, bitches, I be ownin' this thread. I've got French, New Testament-era Greek and a teensy bit of Hebrew under my belt, with Syriac to follow next term ;) Of course, almost everyone who can speak French can speak English, and the other three are all completely useless outside the realm of a theologian's lecture hall. Ho hum. Actually, I've got about as much German as I have Hebrew, which is indicative of just how shit I was at Hebrew xD But still, it's nice to brag....

Miss Sahara

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2012, 03:55:41 PM »

how can everyone who speaks french speak english?

btw, i have some pretty useless knowledge of both latin and classical chinese to offer!

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2012, 04:02:58 PM »

I suppose that's an exaggeration. I just meant that in a LOT of European countries, English is taught to a pretty decent level, as are other European languages like French and German. French is a biggie, and really all the European kids I've met can speak either near-fluent English or near-fluent French.

Miss Sahara

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »

ah i see. i thought of all the french people i know and how most of them only have basic english skills (due to really bad language classes/teachers) and (unfortunately - this had me practice my really not good french quite a bit) can't really hold a conversation. but for people who learn french as a forein language what you said makes definitely sense.

LoneWanderer

• My blog of truth, justice, and awesome
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2012, 11:57:55 PM »

I want to learn Japanese, German, and Irish Gaelic
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]  All   Go Up