THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning Other Languages  (Read 23362 times)

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
Re: Learning Other Languages
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2011, 05:57:40 AM »

getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

Rosebud

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »

I'm trying to learn Latin.
Other languages I'd love to learn are Spanish, German and Esperanto.

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »

I learned Spanish for a few years and can remember quite a lot of it.  I only notice when I'm watching a Spanish movie and for a lot of it don't need the subtitles, but if you asked me to SAY something in Spanish, I might be a bit baffled. 

It is the same with me and German. Don't ask me to tell you anything, but I'll probably understand a few things on films, news, etc.

Has anyone ever tried those Rosetta Stone DVDs?  They're expensive, but supposed to be good and I want to learn Mandarin. 

I don't know if Mandarin will be easy to learn without a teacher or someone to help you with your pronunciation or even your kanji (forgot how they call it...). But I also don't know how much of self-learning you can deal with. I suggest you trying to find a forum or something focused on Madrin for foreigners.
I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2011, 08:47:55 PM »

I still desire to learn american sign language

My brother-in-law's mother is a master at ASL.
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

NastyEgo

• my worst enemy
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2011, 03:52:11 AM »

You should have seen the faces of the people I work with, when I've told them that in Polish we use 17 different versions of the word "two".
lookning in shades of green through shades of blue

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2011, 03:59:16 AM »

..but only 2 for the word "seventeen"
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Tiervexx

« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2011, 12:54:13 PM »

I wish kids (in the US) learned languages in elementary school instead of history. Any history they teach you, you have to re-learn in high school because it's mostly lies and bullcrap. =)

That's actually true.

The versions of history you learn in American elementary school are very dumbed down and often overt lies designed to make the government sound better.  It gets better in high school but often you won't get the real version until college.

The results of this watered down education are often found in popular political talks.  Many Americans still think slavery sparked the civil war.

In reality it was about tariffs.  It was the only source of income the Federal Government had at the time and the South paid most of it.  European nations were even going to intervene on behalf of the South who they traded with more often.  Lincoln prevented them from interfering by making the war about slavery with the emancipation proclamation.

Up till then Lincoln was even trying to promise the South he would NOT end slavery.

I think the real story is more interesting than the black and white version we were told in elementary school.

Oh, and the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was not perfectly unprovoked either.

Of course.... all governments seem to lie to students to make themselves sound more noble, it's not just a US thing.  Some are just more overt about it than others.  I think Germany deserves a lot of credit for not trying to sugar coat Nazism.  Meanwhile there has recently been a massive effort to revamp Russian education to act like Stalin was not quite the total psychopath he was.

... but the worst culprit is North Korea.  In their official history Kim and his father created the Earth together and control the weather.  Kim also does not urinate or defecate like normal people.  The Americans are not just enemies but basically like biblical devils.

spider jerusalem

• forever a
  • um mazzaropi incriminado
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2011, 11:01:57 PM »

You should have seen the faces of the people I work with, when I've told them that in Polish we use 17 different versions of the word "two".

How so? You have words for 'two' for different situations and contexts?

... but the worst culprit is North Korea.  In their official history Kim and his father created the Earth together and control the weather.  Kim also does not urinate or defecate like normal people.  The Americans are not just enemies but basically like biblical devils.

seriously?  :o
I assembled this team for purposes of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen thing, but in reading this thread it occurs to me they're all highly bangable. Yeah, even Spider Jerusalem.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2011, 12:09:05 AM »

Many Americans still think slavery sparked the civil war.

In reality it was about tariffs.  It was the only source of income the Federal Government had at the time and the South paid most of it.  European nations were even going to intervene on behalf of the South who they traded with more often.  Lincoln prevented them from interfering by making the war about slavery with the emancipation proclamation.

Up till then Lincoln was even trying to promise the South he would NOT end slavery.

I think the real story is more interesting than the black and white version we were told in elementary school.
Alas, the tarriff story is largely spin-based bullshit....  Seriously.

Keep in mind that in politics, for every action there's a good-reason, and a real-reason, and if there's a
dispute, each side's good-reason is often the other side's real-reason.  Yes, it's true that northern politicians
were not universally abolitionist, and their principal motivation was an international trade-policy that favored
their interests over those of the agrarian South, the states of the South were willing, even eager, to secede
and to fight for one thing - to maintain the status-quo relationship of black to white in the South, and the
single causative factor was the potential admission of enough new "free" states to upset the balance of
power in the Senate.  A quick read through the Constritution of the CSA, as well as the writings of Southern
leaders in the years leading up to the war show that they were anti-tarriff, but the consuming concern is that
of preserving slavery, and in the larger scale, the rigid racial stratification it embodied (which, of course, survived
until at least the 1960s and in some places still endures today).

Granted, it's certainly not black and white (no pun intended), but Lincoln's administration almost certainly
would have adopted abolitionist legislation, just as George W. Bush would have outlawed abortion if he had
the votes in Congress - not the number one priority, but something they felt was important, despite their
campaign rhetoric.

Oh, and the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was not perfectly unprovoked either.
Also a long story...

And we haven't even touched on "Manifest Destiny", westward expansion, the Indian wars, and genocide.

Of course.... all governments seem to lie to students to make themselves sound more noble, it's not just a US thing.
Trudat.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Tiervexx

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »

Many Americans still think slavery sparked the civil war.

Alas, the tarriff story is largely spin-based bullshit....  Seriously.

Keep in mind that in politics, for every action there's a good-reason, and a real-reason, and if there's a
dispute, each side's good-reason is often the other side's real-reason.  Yes, it's true that northern politicians
were not universally abolitionist, and their principal motivation was an international trade-policy that favored
their interests over those of the agrarian South, the states of the South were willing, even eager, to secede
and to fight for one thing - to maintain the status-quo relationship of black to white in the South, and the
single causative factor was the potential admission of enough new "free" states to upset the balance of
power in the Senate.  A quick read through the Constritution of the CSA, as well as the writings of Southern
leaders in the years leading up to the war show that they were anti-tarriff, but the consuming concern is that
of preserving slavery, and in the larger scale, the rigid racial stratification it embodied (which, of course, survived
until at least the 1960s and in some places still endures today).

Granted, it's certainly not black and white (no pun intended), but Lincoln's administration almost certainly
would have adopted abolitionist legislation, just as George W. Bush would have outlawed abortion if he had
the votes in Congress - not the number one priority, but something they felt was important, despite their
campaign rhetoric.

I don't completely disagree with you.  Slavery was an issue but modern northern historian downplay the role trade economics played in it just as southern historians downplay how much slavery was an issue.

I will admit I have not studied the writings of southern politicians from that time period in great detail but I have read a bit from northern abolitionists and some of them were deeply horrified by the war rather than thinking it was their big chance.

I believe Lincoln would have liked to end slavery under ideal circumstances but it bothers me that so many believe Lincoln's true heroic goal was to end slavery.  It was just an afterthought, that's my point.

wijsgeer

• looking at the world with wonder
    • Bedlam - keeping our crazies in a box
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »

Being Dutch I learned English and German and French in school (though the latter two never fully developed so to say). I also took extracurricular classes in Spanish and Russian, they formed nice little tasters but not much more than that.

When I spent a spell in semi residential care in a mental institution I dediced I wanted to do something else than be a psychiatric patient (such a boring thing to be) so I decided to take a course in Mandarin. It was fun to practice the writing but it was incredibly hard. (my mind being blown to bits didn't quite help). I would like to give it an other try when I feel clearer.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2012, 09:22:08 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/edYHlnhxyOI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/edYHlnhxyOI</a>

haha  ;D
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »

I suspect an awful lot of french people do not speak french if this video is correct
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Miss Sahara

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »

haha to me it always seems like french people make a ridiculous amount of sounds with their mouths when they talk... reminds me of this sketch where the comedian talks (inter alia) about how french people may include whisteling in their sentences: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWLzjViqa6M (unfortunately i can't find a version with english subtitles, so this is probably only funny if you understand either french or german (subtitles))

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2012, 04:41:35 AM »

haha though i only could understand a couple of words of it, it was so funny. yeah french people make a lot of gestures and sounds  ;D

i have met a couple of french people in istanbul, they all were so sweet and friendly.

anyway they were a little different from us in terms of culture. for example people here find it disgusting and disrespectful when somebody blows their nose noisy while having meal, so we tend to use the bathroom if we need to blow our noses.

anyway one of the girls did it while we all were having breakfast in a fancy restaurant, haha how she managed to do it while everybody was completely silent, i don't know.

some of my friends could not keep eating, they tried to be gentle and opened a conversation. i pushed myself to keep eating my peanut butter sandwich.

i find such things natural, so i try not to react. in the end we all do such things, it doesn't matter whether in a breakfast table or in a bathroom.

Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Up