THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Growing Up (ahh!)  (Read 8625 times)

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
Growing Up (ahh!)
« on: July 08, 2008, 12:30:33 AM »

I have recently realised that in four short years, I will be off to college and have to know what I want to do with my life. Seriously, I have NO CLUE what I want to do with my life! I want to be a bassist but don't know If I will ever beable to make a large orchestra such as The Boston Symphony Orchestra or any other major orchestra. I know I want to live in the Boston area i don't really know why but it has always intreigued me. Can you even make a living off of JUST playing in the Symphony, or do you need another job as well? How did all of you decide what schools to go to and what profession to persue? Ugh I have no clue what I want to do!!! Should I even be worried about tis yet? Help!

Gracias!
Cassadie.
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

yosmark

• The Powa. The Powa.
Re: Growing Up (ahh!)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:39:52 AM »

You shouldnt be worried, i decided to go on biomedical engineering caused in my last year in high school i realized i kicked ass in physics, before that i was planning to go as a sound engineer and before that i wanted to he a doctor ... So dont worry it will all fall into place ... "you are still young" i sounded old ;)

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:42:45 AM »

Thank you for that reassurance.

Mali

• I STAB YOU
  • evilthoughtsevilthoughts
    • myspacorz
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:03:47 AM »

I was supposed to go to college a year ago and I don't know what to do with my life. And I like it that way.

Big super less stress hugs!
I just need a friend.
Mali-licious, if I was a boy I would want to be your boyfriend!

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:08:31 AM »

All I want to do is play my fucking bass and be happy and have enough money. So far i can't find the ideal job. I think playing in a symphony would be good, but I'm not sure how competitive it is for bassists. Arg!!

tw2113

• Agent Semi-Intelligent
  • Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    • Michaelbox dot Net
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:31:44 AM »

you'll be fine. I had some teachers who still didn't know what they wanted to do with their lives. now some of them are even retired.
There comes times in every man's life, where he must urinate. For me, now is one of those times, excuse me

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:36:56 AM »

Ugh I hope so.. I going to go dance in the rain.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 02:40:22 AM »

Quote from: John Lennon
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

....not to suggest that you don't make plans or set goals at all, but you'll probably be happier if you
keep them fairly broad and fairly flexible.  Watch for opportunities to explore different paths.  Travel if you
can, to almost anywhere (well, you might try to avoid war zones and Anthrax Island).  You will be amazed
at both how long those four years will be, and how fast they'll fly by.

(Oh, and I'm nearly 41, I have two college degrees, and I have no clue what the hell I'm doing...)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 03:01:38 AM »

Quote from: John Lennon
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

....not to suggest that you don't make plans or set goals at all, but you'll probably be happier if you
keep them fairly broad and fairly flexible.  Watch for opportunities to explore different paths.  Travel if you
can, to almost anywhere (well, you might try to avoid war zones and Anthrax Island).  You will be amazed
at both how long those four years will be, and how fast they'll fly by.

(Oh, and I'm nearly 41, I have two college degrees, and I have no clue what the hell I'm doing...)
ah, thanks for that. I've always wanted to travel, but with what money? Gahh I wish people just got paid for being a awesome person... that would be.. awesome.

Golly Mina!

• Coughs and sneezes Spread diseases
  • 死んだ滞在だけ17永久に
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 05:41:22 AM »

I agree with CeeG, you're still young and you shouldn't worry that much about it. However, you should try to explore more, find out what other interests you have (apart from bass playing, but not excluding it) and why not, make a list and decide which you'd like best.
I'm 17, I have 2 more years of highschool and heh, I'm terrified. And it's not because of lack of planning, God knows I've been planning my academic future for the past 5-6 years now, but because I'm afraid I won't succeed. My biggest goal is to study abroad, to get a scholarship somewhere either in Europe or in the US, but I cannot help but think that I might fail and get stuck here in my country. Luckily, I've met an excellent English teacher in a city about 150 km away from mine, we go to her twice a month and she prepares me for the big leap O0. She's got tons of experience, she's sent many kids to big univeristies (for instance, she helped a kid get a 400.000 $ scholarship in the US) and hopefully, I'll be one of them. The only downside is the price she charges,the whole thing is pretty darn expensive, but well worth it. I'll be taking lots of exams these next two years :buck2:
suck my sunrise, bitchbrain.

Happiness is the longing for repetition.

~Louise~

• ...just little old me...
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 08:01:10 AM »

i had several career choice changes through high school, and in the end didnt end up pursuing any of them.  in the last few months of school all i knew was i didnt want to go to uni, and i wanted to do something arty.  so because i had to do something i looked through the tafe(college) courses and chose jewellery because it looked fun and would keep me busy for a year.  now im in my second year of a jewellery apprenticeship.

what im trying to say is you're only young, and what you want to do now may change several times before you graduate.  and even when you do graduate, theres no rule saying you have to know exactly what you want to be.  try lots of things until you find something you enjoy
~sczond~ on the old box

Shakti

• Poster girl for some suburban sickness
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »

I know I want to live in the Boston area i don't really know why but it has always intreigued me.

At your age, that's all I knew for sure as well.

I probably should have tried a little harder to figure out some more

Now I follow CeeGBee's
keep them fairly broad and fairly flexible.  Watch for opportunities to explore different paths.
pretty closely.  Even said something similar in a job interview recently.

In between, I did end up at some point in my late 20s dropping a pretty penny on some career/aptitude testing/counseling that had probably been available for free in high school and/or college if I'd been paying attention.

C'est la vie.  Most things are not irreparable and will work out eventually.
My own private highway from the cradle to the grave; I save a bundle skipping middle age and Saturdays.

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »

If you want to be good enough to play the bass for a symphony, there's only two things you can do.
1) practice at least 30 minutes a day, scales and pieces.
2) study theory like your life depends on it.

Also, look at all your options. I waited until my senior year to think about it, and that was kinda doofy.
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »

i've found that it's very rare that people do know what they want to do...i did, but i'm also crazy...

and as for playing in a symphony orchestra, i know people who are in the chicago symphony orchestra and that is enough for them to live on (at least there it is) but you can also have another job, most of the people in the orchestra also offer lessons or teach

music box

• http://icemyeyes.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 02:39:52 PM »

if you're just now entering high school, you really shouldn't worry about college and stuff. just do what you like and what you're interested in. you'll eventually figure it out.

i just now figured out what i'm going to do and i've been in college for over a year.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up