THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm not going back to that smokehole  (Read 2456 times)

colordeaf

• New! Chicken of the Galaxy Dolphin Nuggets
    • Gallery of Questionable Taste
I'm not going back to that smokehole
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:15:26 PM »

A certain family member jokes about moving back to China. Only half jokes.

Um, no.

I really hope the day never comes, because their smoking policies are horrendous and their internet filtering too. And to think Windows Vista is hell enough.

I wish there was some way to counter his ranting about the subject. He's a smoker.
He goes on and on about "the oldest civilization in the world". He dislikes (although this is subtle) that I'm taking Japanese courses.

He doesn't get that I know about the pollution problem they have over there, or that I am a blogger, or that I don't necessarily have to find a job in only one country. I don't want to talk about it with him because he's always so hurtful.

I seriously hope he's only joking, or that we will be unable to obtain Visas.

Or that I get a job before he gets the opportunity.

I want my grandparents to move here, not the other way around, so he can't push me around.

Oh, and just for the record...he probably won't even consider until I'm out of college. Which means I should be looking for university very, very far away. And in a liberal urban centre (but not so that I have a likely chance of getting mugged). Any suggestions? My current goal is either Boston or Oxford.

Discuss: Dealing with annoying housemates and gitty parents. Ways to thwart a nationalistic smoker who leaves cigarette ashes everywhere.
Dude...  I'm getting high just from being in the same room with you...

Brittany

• agent_smart
  • So bright, it's like redundant to have the sun out
    • myspace
Re: I'm not going back to that smokehole
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:45:12 PM »

Sounds like there's nothing you can do.  Maybe write to your grandparents, encouraging them to move to the States? 
Cover it in mustard, clap your hands 3 times, close your eyes and say "Go to the fucking doctor"

colordeaf

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »

Sounds like there's nothing you can do.  Maybe write to your grandparents, encouraging them to move to the States? 

Ah, my mom would be able to do that. I think it has more to do with obtaining Visas than if they want to (which they probably do, because they asked for Costco Vitamins). Maybe I could flee to Canada as soon I possible (but who knows how I'd get a job there).

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:39:50 PM »

If worse comes to worst, you could probably get a deal from a lawyer to handle your emancipation and
request for political asylum at the same time.... :glasses7:
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

colordeaf

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:11:25 PM »

If worse comes to worst, you could probably get a deal from a lawyer to handle your emancipation and
request for political asylum at the same time.... :glasses7:

Good god I'd never be able to show my face to my parents again if that happened. Right now it's pretty unlikely.

Maybe I could call up a friend in California to live in the middle of nowhere. Real liberal atmosphere, yep.

Actually, my sister wanted to be adopted by the neighbours in our last neighbourhood, and that didn't work.

Or move in with the house down the street with Japanese memorobilia.

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 12:04:38 AM »

China... Weren't they saying that cigarettes were good for you, so that they could sell more, because cigarettes are like a huge industry over there? I'm fairly sure someone emailed me an article to that effect, and stated I should move there.

*looks*

Ah, found it:

By GEOFFREY YORK

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Guiyang, China — Here's some exciting medical news from the Chinese government: Smoking is great for your health.

Cigarettes, according to China's tobacco authorities, are an excellent way to prevent ulcers.

They also reduce the risk of Parkinson's disease, relieve schizophrenia, boost your brain cells, speed up your thinking, improve your reactions and increase your working efficiency.

Pay no attention to those lung cancer warnings - they’re nonsense. You’re more likely to get cancer from cooking smoke! Those are the words of wisdom from China’s state-owned tobacco monopoly, the world’s most successful cigarette-marketing agency. With annual sales of 1.8 trillion cigarettes, the Chinese are responsible for nearly 1/3 of all cigarettes smoked on the whole planet.

The official website of the tobacco monopoly claims cigarettes are a kind of miracle drug: solving your health problems, helping your lifestyle, strengthening the equality of women, and even eliminating loneliness and depression. “Smoking removes your troubles and worries,” says a 37-year-old female magazine editor, quoted approvingly on the website. “Holding a cigarette is like having a walking stick in your hand, giving you support. “Quitting smoking would bring you misery, shortening your life.” Such statements are widely believed in China.

2/3 of Chinese men are smokers, and surveys show that approx. 90% believe their habit has little effect on their health, or is good for them. Even in China’s medical community, 60% of male doctors are smokers. No wonder Western tobacco companies are drooling over the Chinese market of 360 million smokers.

This week, a group of Canadian experts went to China in an effort to convince Chinese smokers of more realistic effects of smoking. They distributed anti-smoking posters, visited cancer patients, showed the graphic warnings on Canadian cigarette packs, and lectured on how the anti-smoking campaign has reduced Canada’s lung-cancer rate. They face a struggle in China, a country where the tobacco industry provides 60 million jobs and 10% of national tax revenue.

“In China today, the economy comes first and everything else is secondary, including health care,” Dr. Jean Couture, a Quebec surgeon, said. “You wonder if anyone in the government is conscious of how great the smoking problem is. There’s no public education program. The Chinese anti-smoking association is very weak and has almost no money. Within 20 years, China could have the majority of all smoking deaths in the world.” Couture leads anti-smoking campaigns in 4 Chinese provinces, and has been involved with China’s smoking problem since 1990.

As Canadians distributed posters at a hospital, they saw a number of people smoking in the hospital. A hospital shop was openly selling cigarettes. While smoking rates have fallen sharply in Canada in the past two decades, the rate in China is still rising. The number of Chinese smokers is growing by 3 million a year, despite an estimated 1.3 million tobacco-related deaths annually.

Chinese cigarettes are cheap — as little as 30 cents a pack — and the health warnings are hidden in small print on the sides of the packages. Though cigarette advertising is technically illegal, tobacco companies are allowed to promote their corporate names. Children can easily buy cigarettes at Chinese shops, despite an official ban on sales to those under 18. Money, money, money.

/derail.

As for avoiding moving back... Well, I haven't the faintest. I'm still getting kicked around by my parents, and I don't even live there anymore.
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »

In the context of laws restricting how many children people may have, and a population that
still keeps growing beyond the means to support itself, this makes sense...

Next up, a new national lottery - if you pick the right six numbers, you win a pile of money... :D
                                          - pick these other exact six numbers and we euthanize you...  :o

colordeaf

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 04:08:27 PM »

In the context of laws restricting how many children people may have, and a population that

Next up, a new national lottery - if you pick the right six numbers, you win a pile of money... :D

Then when I think of it, the high smoking rate among men is meant to curb the the gender gap caused by too many people wanting sons, seeing as the smoking rate amongst the women is so low.
If it was mandatory, the lottery would work. But the media outside China would be horrified.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »

Next up, a new national lottery - if you pick the right six numbers, you win a pile of money, and a visa to move to another country... :D
They wouldn't be able to print tix fast enough.

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 01:46:05 AM »

Super lucky banzai good six vs. Mega shame dishonor bad six.
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

colordeaf

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 03:43:13 PM »

Super lucky banzai good six vs. Mega shame dishonor bad six.

I can see this being government sponsored so the farmers can take part. This thread has been derailed, hasn't it? Anyone got suggestions for universities according to city/affordability/biology major?

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »

Bio major shouldn't be too hard to find...
Start where you want to be, geographically, and work outward, looking at cost and
availability of student aid...
Pages: [1]   Go Up